British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

sallysimmons Apr 22nd 2011 1:57 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
How about raising taxes on rich people and cutting defense spending to the levels of other developed nations.

Problem solved :D

Pistolpete2 Apr 22nd 2011 2:03 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9320612)
How about raising taxes on rich people and cutting defense spending to the levels of other developed nations.

Problem solved :D

That would be two very good starts but they've still got to address the ticking bomb of entitlements and a proper overhaul of healthcare the way Obama (the reformer not Obama the cop-out) originally envisaged.

PLUS, address the loopholes to ensure that the rich people and profitable corporations actually pay those taxes.

chriswinter Apr 22nd 2011 2:10 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9320612)
How about raising taxes on rich people and cutting defense spending to the levels of other developed nations.

Problem solved :D

:thumbsup:

sallysimmons Apr 22nd 2011 2:50 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9320619)
That would be two very good starts but they've still got to address the ticking bomb of entitlements and a proper overhaul of healthcare the way Obama (the reformer not Obama the cop-out) originally envisaged.

PLUS, address the loopholes to ensure that the rich people and profitable corporations actually pay those taxes.

OK, we'll add in single-payer health care then :)

I actually balanced the budget as far out as 2030 on the New York Times website without touching entitlements. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...oices=43t2n52v

And that didn't even come close to cutting military spending to the same levels as other developed countries.

Derrygal Apr 22nd 2011 6:00 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9320612)
How about raising taxes on rich people and cutting defense spending to the levels of other developed nations.

Problem solved :D

That sounds like a really good plan to me!! :thumbup:

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 23rd 2011 5:31 am

Re: Off-topic posts from over 50's/60's thread
 

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9320352)
Oh Fish, I did this for Rodney, I know you have been around the site too. ;)

If you click on your own name you can pull up a list of your previous posts and will therefore be able to locate the missing one. :thumbsup:

Thanks Barb, Makes sense, again Thankyou...

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 23rd 2011 5:42 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9320656)
OK, we'll add in single-payer health care then :)

I actually balanced the budget as far out as 2030 on the New York Times website without touching entitlements. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...oices=43t2n52v

And that didn't even come close to cutting military spending to the same levels as other developed countries.

I'm all for real reform and a One payer system, or Medicare for all, anything sooner than this train wreck we have now, Id like to see medical insurance companies go out of business, theyve made plenty off us over the years, its called progress.

Military spending, its always a bad joke, we have over 35000 military people stationed in Japan, plus another 5000 support staff, can anyone tell me why?

Government Lobbyists jobs should be illiminated too, what a waste of space... that should be illegal...

Of course the wealthy people and corparations should be taxed higher, some of them pay nothing and get Millions/Billions of our dollars in refunds...

Id also like to see us make things in America instead of shipping things from China, that must add to our pollution problems while using up the worlds valuable resources, This country is so far behind, its time we woke up instead of just talking about it...

bandrui Apr 23rd 2011 10:29 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
Happy St George's Day everyone!

I was going to post a video in celebration of the day but they were all either corny, political or about the England soccer team so my best wishes will have to do.

I just found out that's politically incorrect to say England anymore... now we have to say we're British or talk about the UK. Well that's just plain silly. I'm a proud Englishwoman and love England. Though I am very fond of the Scots, the Irish and the Welsh too, today I can and shall celebrate my Englishness.

Oh and Happy Birthday Shakespeare!

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 23rd 2011 10:57 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9321848)
Happy St George's Day everyone!

I was going to post a video in celebration of the day but they were all either corny, political or about the England soccer team so my best wishes will have to do.

I just found out that's politically incorrect to say England anymore... now we have to say we're British or talk about the UK. Well that's just plain silly. I'm a proud Englishwoman and love England. Though I am very fond of the Scots, the Irish and the Welsh too, today I can and shall celebrate my Englishness.

Oh and Happy Birthday Shakespeare!

There will always be an England, as the old song goes...

dunroving Apr 23rd 2011 12:15 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9312268)
Sounds good to me for £300 per month for a house.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28950742.html

I lived not far from there. If you have a stable, secure job or are retired, South Wales can be a very inexpensive area to buy/rent. Unemployment and the local economy is pretty dire, but the area does have its pluses. However, this is a prime example of how Rightmove can pull up some "great" houses, but doesn't give you the picture of "Is this really somewhere I would want to live?"

Caveat emptor!

Mallory Apr 23rd 2011 12:20 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9320612)
How about raising taxes on rich people and cutting defense spending to the levels of other developed nations.

Problem solved :D

but, they're all leaving! :ohmy:;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...e-country.html

sallysimmons Apr 23rd 2011 12:31 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
That Telegraph article is about England - I was talking about the US. Taxes for rich people in the US would have a long way to go before it was worthwhile anyone leaving!

Recently I got in touch with an old friend in the UK who now reads Daily Telegraph. It's always fun talking to him about politics - like stepping into another world where everything is the opposite of my reality :lol:

Pistolpete2 Apr 23rd 2011 1:10 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 9321952)

The article says that of the proportion that are thinking of leaving, only forty per cent actually then put the wheels in motion to leave within two years. Of that 40% who knows how many would actually leave.

Anyway the majority who are looking to leave are doing so due to the weather and ASBO activity. Can't do much about either of them.

Pistolpete2 Apr 23rd 2011 1:13 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9321848)
Happy St George's Day everyone!

I was going to post a video in celebration of the day but they were all either corny, political or about the England soccer team so my best wishes will have to do.

I just found out that's politically incorrect to say England anymore... now we have to say we're British or talk about the UK. Well that's just plain silly. I'm a proud Englishwoman and love England. Though I am very fond of the Scots, the Irish and the Welsh too, today I can and shall celebrate my Englishness.

Oh and Happy Birthday Shakespeare!

The Queen was 85 on April 21st. Happy belated!!

jasper123 Apr 23rd 2011 2:41 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9321605)
I'm all for real reform and a One payer system, or Medicare for all, anything sooner than this train wreck we have now, Id like to see medical insurance companies go out of business, theyve made plenty off us over the years, its called progress.

Military spending, its always a bad joke, we have over 35000 military people stationed in Japan, plus another 5000 support staff, can anyone tell me why?

Government Lobbyists jobs should be illiminated too, what a waste of space... that should be illegal...

Of course the wealthy people and corparations should be taxed higher, some of them pay nothing and get Millions/Billions of our dollars in refunds...

Id also like to see us make things in America instead of shipping things from China, that must add to our pollution problems while using up the worlds valuable resources, This country is so far behind, its time we woke up instead of just talking about it...

Fish all the 36 years I lived in America I always thought it was years ahead of the U.K. ----- but over the years ---- look how the UK caught up with its wages for instance, on average there higher then in the U.S. and the standard of living in general in UK is far above the Americans, ---- we have not only caught up in the last say 25 years but we have far overtaken the US in so many things ---- especially technology,
On another subject the beach was lovely yesterday, hundreds of people sunbathing and swimming,
today just another beautiful day and me and Mum had our lunch outside in the garden siting on the patio, we both took pleasure in looking at all Mums plants and bushes and she was telling me the history of her garden, the last couple of weeks while the weather has been nice Mum has been spending a lot of time on her garden --- like weeding ---- and trimming the bushes, and replanting or repotting or whatever its called, anyway I offered to help but she just says no thanks --- IM used to it and I know what Im doing, ---- she knows Ive never owned my own house and so I dont have a clue on being a gardner, ----- but I could learn Huh !!!! :unsure:
Rodney.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:26 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.