Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:22 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Beedubya - sadly your link will only work in the UK

(oh, another exciting thing about moving to Switzerland is that one can get the English TV stations....when I was in the serviced apartment (near Zug) I was watching Corrie ). I'm never going to learn German if they have English TV there...
If you download Expat Shield you can watch any UK TV show for free!!

Very simple programme, I used it for at least the last 4 months I was in Australia when my paid programme ran out, and it was better than the paid one connection wise.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:26 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I'm trying to respond to something that was posted about inflation and food was mentioned as one item and I remember that this was a news item about 2-3 weeks ago and I thought to myself this was a submitted item from a trade association or Walmart or what ever, and put on the evening news.

OK so everything is going up is it. Lets see what is happening in my area. Eggs on special 79 cents dozen. Bags of potatoes $1.50 for 5 lbs. My point is it is hard to control the price of food because people only have so much available to spend and the farmers and grocery supermarkets have to move the stuff and so when people don't buy they have to entice people by giving attractive prices.

I watch a man who works in the market I go to and he goes through the produce at lightening speed and throws food away that doesn't look good. I think it is such a shame. This is food that could be eaten by some people.
You could collect the food from him and take it to one of those church soup kitchens. I had a US friend that used to do that, picked up from bakeries, etc. early in the morning, took them to the church and the people there made meals from the ingredients provided.

Good deed for the day Cheers???
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:27 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
For Coro fans, did anyone notice the cook Mrs Thackery in the new Upstairs Downstairs, its Anne Reid, the first wife of Ken Barlow, Valerie...
She is also in Dinner Ladies, I like that show.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:27 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
lets hope she doesn't have to film scenes with any hairdryers

Ken can't half pick his wives ha ha!!!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
She is also in Dinner Ladies, I like that show.
I heard that but have never seen it Barb...

She was also in Ladies of letters which Ive really enjoyed...
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
lets hope she doesn't have to film scenes with any hairdryers
Wow Gabby youve got a memory...
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:35 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I heard that but have never seen it Barb...

She was also in Ladies of letters which Ive really enjoyed...
Dinnerladies is a kind of gentle comedy set in Manchester with Victoria Wood, also you will see other Corrie actors like Mavis and Sunita.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinnerladies
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I think of myself as a Christian but I don't think we made as big of a deal of Easter as they do in America. Comments anyone?
I was in Costco this morning and you would have thought it was Christmas by the mobs of customers who were in there and then coming home we passed by the Olive Garden restaurant and the parking lot was packed. Did someone say the economy was in the toilet? Not from what I see.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

To DDL and Windsong and Eastener,

Some of the things I like about the US.
I think there is a lot of competion in the US and there are a lot of bargains but others have posted that the UK has come around and the race is on for bargains.
In the US I feel that I can change things to a degree politically if I don't like them. I've always felt since day one that money is easily come by for credit. Example, I see a nice shiny new car and I want it so I go down and sign my name and I drive off in it because I have enough money for the first payment
I want to see a doctor and I call up and I get an appointment and when I go to the doctors office it is nice and clean and cheerful and the staff are pleasant and it doesn't cost me anything! Well instead of paying £1.50 per litre of petrol for NHS I pay a reasonable amount for suplimental health insurance.

Downside to the US. I'm not going to say because some American people are too sensitive.

Things I like about the UK--we've covered that in our thread already.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the things I like about the US.
I think there is a lot of competion in the US and there are a lot of bargains but others have posted that the UK has come around and the race is on for bargains..

I agree that most things are cheaper in the US but unfortunately many of those bargains are now Made in China.

In the US I feel that I can change things to a degree politically if I don't like them. .
Really??

I've always felt since day one that money is easily come by for credit. Example, I see a nice shiny new car and I want it so I go down and sign my name and I drive off in it because I have enough money for the first payment .
True. But is this a good thing? A lot of people are encouraged to get in over their heads.

I want to see a doctor and I call up and I get an appointment and when I go to the doctors office it is nice and clean and cheerful and the staff are pleasant and it doesn't cost me anything! Well instead of paying £1.50 per litre of petrol for NHS I pay a reasonable amount for suplimental health insurance.
There are others who can respond to this a lot better than I. It seems that this "reasonable amount" is not so reasonable for a lot of people. But they must be giving you good drugs, Cheers!

[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think of myself as a Christian but I don't think we made as big of a deal of Easter as they do in America. Comments anyone?
I was in Costco this morning and you would have thought it was Christmas by the mobs of customers who were in there and then coming home we passed by the Olive Garden restaurant and the parking lot was packed. Did someone say the economy was in the toilet? Not from what I see.
This problem doesn't manifest itself in the shopping malls of America quite YET.

The US economy is in the toilet because the level of budget deficits being run, even before considering the escalating costs of Medicare, Medicaid and SS, is simply unsustainable and most state finances are already bankrupt. What is more, there is no political will to correct these issues other than by fantasy cures such as Paul Ryan's which suggest you can tackle the problem without taxing the rich. Similar problems had developed in the UK but at least they are trying to deal with them before it is too high a hill to climb. I guess the lawmakers in the US on either side have enough of a stash not to have to worry.

This is a long slippery slope and when things look so bad that no other country wants to hold enough dollars, they'll flush the toilet.

Seen the exchange rate for the pound and the Euro and the price of oil and gold? Best to live in denial and keep going to The Olive Garden.

We are in dollar world here just like the US.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
You could collect the food from him and take it to one of those church soup kitchens. I had a US friend that used to do that, picked up from bakeries, etc. early in the morning, took them to the church and the people there made meals from the ingredients provided.

Good deed for the day Cheers???
They do that here for the food bank and give the food to those who can't afford it.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:59 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
This problem doesn't manifest itself in the shopping malls of America quite YET.

The US economy is in the toilet because the level of budget deficits being run, even before considering the escalating costs of Medicare, Medicaid and SS, is simply unsustainable and most state finances are already bankrupt. What is more, there is no political will to correct these issues other than by fantasy cures such as Paul Ryan's which suggest you can tackle the problem without taxing the rich. Similar problems had developed in the UK but at least they are trying to deal with them before it is too high a hill to climb. I guess the lawmakers in the US on either side have enough of a stash not to have to worry.

This is a long slippery slope and when things look so bad that no other country wants to hold enough dollars, they'll flush the toilet.

Seen the exchange rate for the pound and the Euro and the price of oil and gold? Best to live in denial and keep going to The Olive Garden.

We are in dollar world here just like the US.
I just came back from shopping too - it's very warm at 83 deg F. People out in droves (school is out for Easter/spring break). WalMart has a huge gazebo set up in the car park, full of bedding plants, flowers, ferns, Easter lilies. Easter dresses flying off the racks in the dept stores. Hams, eggs, Easter candy, beer, wine, all stacked to the ceiling in the grocery. Like Cheers said, you would think it was Xmas! Hubby's family have huge Easter luncheon, and colored eggs galore for the egg hunt! Everyone happy and smiling!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

This is off topic but it's the off topic thread ;-)

My poor cat is in a real state. As I told you guys, we lost a cat last week to cancer. This is his brother. They've been together since they were born and, while they didn't hang out all the time, they did play fight a lot. For the last few days, Theo has just wandered the house looking for his brother. He's not really sleeping and not eating much at all. We've had cats die before and never seen this reaction from the others. It's so sad.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
This is off topic but it's the off topic thread ;-)

My poor cat is in a real state. As I told you guys, we lost a cat last week to cancer. This is his brother. They've been together since they were born and, while they didn't hang out all the time, they did play fight a lot. For the last few days, Theo has just wandered the house looking for his brother. He's not really sleeping and not eating much at all. We've had cats die before and never seen this reaction from the others. It's so sad.
Oh Sally - I am so sorry - the poor little thing must be grieving for his brother. It's true - animals really do grieve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.