British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Fish n Chips 56 May 4th 2012 1:15 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Right now I'm watching Ted Turner on CNNs Piers Morgan tonight, Ive always been a Ted fan, and tonight is no different, Ted has it right, I'm sure it will be repeated tonight and over the weekend, What A Great American he is...What a Great person he is...

Derrygal May 4th 2012 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10040626)
Thats because the 1% have got us where they want us, the greedy and powerful control of us, there is no hope unless we stick together for the common good, and even then it will be a struggle...

The powerful like to put people up against each other, black against white, straight against gay, workers versus unemployed, throw in some illegals for good measure, that way we argue amongst ourselves instead of watching what the 1% are doing to us...

The greedy and powerful don't give a toss about the workers, we are disposable, that's why we don't have a healthcare system that takes care of everyone... if the Rich needed us they would make sure we had the best healthcare...

There is no doubt that Americans have been brainwashed by the media into thinking they have it all, keep telling them they have the best life and they will actually believe it.I doubt British Television would ever tell Brits they've got it good.

All my UK in laws have more time off than me, they go away to places Ive never been, how would I find the time and money.I totally agree about the War machine, thats what you get when people live in fear of what may happen, Fear is used to sell Americans many things.

That just about sums it up. Yes - my family and friends seem to be much better off than me. Always going on nice vacations (and not just once a year - most go away a couple of times a year at least).

Fish n Chips 56 May 4th 2012 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 10040645)
That just about sums it up. Yes - my family and friends seem to be much better off than me. Always going on nice vacations (and not just once a year - most go away a couple of times a year at least).

Exactly Derry, even my in laws that make little money get almost 6 weeks off and at least 3 of those are spent abroad, Cypress, Malta, Florida, Vegas etc, I often wonder how they do it.

Celticspirit May 4th 2012 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10040681)
Exactly Derry, even my in laws that make little money get almost 6 weeks off and at least 3 of those are spent abroad, Cypress, Malta, Florida, Vegas etc, I often wonder how they do it.

I agree....when I go to Manhattan each February (for Westminster Kennel Club Show) and to visit my two children who live there, I am always surprised when I go shopping specifically to the original Macy's. There are almost no Americans there, but Brits on junkets for a big shopping spree. February of course is a time for winter sales. No spending limits for them.

cheers May 4th 2012 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10040690)
I agree....when I go to Manhattan each February (for Westminster Kennel Club Show) and to visit my two children who live there, I am always surprised when I go shopping specifically to the original Macy's. There are almost no Americans there, but Brits on junkets for a big shopping spree. February of course is a time for winter sales. No spending limits for them.

Don't remind me

jasper123 May 4th 2012 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10040681)

Fish since Ive been home thats one thing that really sticks out at you, all the holidays the average Jack & Jill have here, I wondered where they get the money to afford to travel abroad so much, in my extended family its always a holiday abroad somewhere,
Example, my Nephew and wife, he is working for the water company, she is a R.N. nurse working in a hospital, she gets 6 weeks fully paid vacations each year and he gets
(ONLY) 5 weeks :eek: thats about normal for just about everyone over here,
since Ive been back just 16 months I have seen them go on 5 holidays together, three were lovely cruises abroad each lasting around 10 days ----- they love there cruises,
This Summer they have a lovely air and cruise holiday taking in San Francisco, and the yosemite, along with other places, they are looking forward to that one cause they have never been to the States before,
And Just before I came home, about 2 years ago they had a nice month in Thailand, they showed me all the pics and videos they took, they had a great time there,
Other relatives have all gone abroad somewhere on holidays since Ive been home,
The way I see it Fish the average Joe American even if they did have the money to go abroad (which most dont) or even see another part of there own country ---- they would not have the holidays to do so, I mean what can you do with a pathetic 5 days a year vacation pay ---- or if you are real lucky you may have 2 weeks paid vacation and then they may be able to take the kids to disney land for the weekend :eek:
And I think that all these differences between the average working class Brit compared to the working class American is why the Brits are more worldly then the average American, we have so much more opportunity to go and travel to other countries, and of course with Europe being on the U.K'S doorstep helps a lot too :)
Take care mate,
Rodney.

Beedubya May 4th 2012 12:11 pm

One of the reasons that they can afford all these holidays is that they are more established than we are, those of us who have moved back and forth across the world, removals, air fares, buying cars and furniture at full price selling it for next to nothing, moving again, more air fares and so it goes on.

My sister and her husband are in Spain or somewhere right now, I can't remember where as they have so many holidays :blink: HOWEVER they have been married 26 years (2nd marriage for both) and have always lived in the same town and only moved house twice in all that time.

So we have spent our money and our lives in different ways. Now for myself I couldn't think of anything worse than sitting around a hotel pool day after day sunbaking, when you have had your own swimming pool and enough sun to last a lifetime it doesn't have quite the same appeal.

When I get settled properly I will be spending my holiday time in jolly olde England thank you. :thumbsup:

I got 20 days annual leave in Australia (that is standard) and I used to get 25 days when I was a shift worker. I think the sick pay was about 10 days per year, I can't quite remember.

Here in this job I get:

23 days per year annual leave
25 days after 2 years
26 days after 5 years

Sick pay

0-6 months - nil
6 months to 5 years - 6 weeks full pay
5 years to 10 years - 6 weeks full pay, 6 weeks half pay
Over 10 years - 12 weeks full pay

dontheturner May 4th 2012 12:38 pm

[QUOTE=Beedubya;10041270]One of the reasons that they can afford all these holidays is that they are more established than we are, those of us Sick pay

Hello Barb, Hope you are keeping well. Long time, no visit.
Had to comment. I worked for the Army department, as a Civilian, and ended my career, with 7 weeks paid leave, which I could take by days, except for two weeks, which had to be taken, in one stretch. I got 5 days uncertified sick days, and up to Thirteen weeks sick leave per year.

I also have to comment on Rodneys statements about leave: My second Wife and I, took the two eldest grandchildren, with us on holiday to USA, for Five Weeks, staying in the California Area in Holiday Inns, for 3 weeks, then travelled by Coach up to Seattle (after disneyland, Knotts Berry farm, and Universal), before going into Canada, and on the Vancouver island, to see my Bro in Law, for 10 days.. Oh! and we bought a Condo, on the Isle of Minorca, which we kept for 5 years, Too.. Speak again soon. Love Don

Homeiswheretheheartis May 4th 2012 3:14 pm

What I can't get over is the cost of holidays in the US even in the same State!

From the UK last year we went to France and stayed a week, we went to Paris, Theme Park for the kids, we visited WWI trenches/musuems (very moving). Cost including travel/accommodation £400 approx $630. I could spend that here on a long weekend down the road.

As we have a limited time here of 3 years, we wanted to do as much as possible. Well having looked at distance and cost we have realised we can only manage to get to approx 7 or so places out of state. As some places are cheaper and easier to get to when we go back to the UK!

I have also descoverd that there are two types of Americans, one that works hard to survive and the other who works hard, to earn more money and buy rubbish that the don't need. I find UK people place more value on life experiences than material goods.

I'm off now to have coffee (I drink tea, even take my own teabag:)) with some US friends, which means some tongue biting even though they are nice people, its just the brainwashed part I struggle with.

Fish n Chips 56 May 4th 2012 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10041195)
Fish since Ive been home thats one thing that really sticks out at you, all the holidays the average Jack & Jill have here, I wondered where they get the money to afford to travel abroad so much, in my extended family its always a holiday abroad somewhere,
Example, my Nephew and wife, he is working for the water company, she is a R.N. nurse working in a hospital, she gets 6 weeks fully paid vacations each year and he gets
(ONLY) 5 weeks :eek: thats about normal for just about everyone over here,
since Ive been back just 16 months I have seen them go on 5 holidays together, three were lovely cruises abroad each lasting around 10 days ----- they love there cruises,
This Summer they have a lovely air and cruise holiday taking in San Francisco, and the yosemite, along with other places, they are looking forward to that one cause they have never been to the States before,
And Just before I came home, about 2 years ago they had a nice month in Thailand, they showed me all the pics and videos they took, they had a great time there,
Other relatives have all gone abroad somewhere on holidays since Ive been home,
The way I see it Fish the average Joe American even if they did have the money to go abroad (which most dont) or even see another part of there own country ---- they would not have the holidays to do so, I mean what can you do with a pathetic 5 days a year vacation pay ---- or if you are real lucky you may have 2 weeks paid vacation and then they may be able to take the kids to disney land for the weekend :eek:
And I think that all these differences between the average working class Brit compared to the working class American is why the Brits are more worldly then the average American, we have so much more opportunity to go and travel to other countries, and of course with Europe being on the U.K'S doorstep helps a lot too :)
Take care mate,
Rodney.

Many if not most of my family are exactly the same Rodney, My cousin who isnt well off by any means also has holidays in the UK, she doesnt have a fancy job house or lifestyle but she goes places and enjoys herself.

Fish n Chips 56 May 4th 2012 3:57 pm

Wow Barb your sick pay is amazing...

Ive spent most of my vacations/holidays visiting my family in the UK, once Im back I intend to spend most of my holidays there, visisting places I have never been before, Ireland, Scotland and the Lake District, I will also go to places I love like Norfolk Devon and Cornwall... I have sisters in the USA so I will be here every other year, hopefully they will come to see me...

Beedubya May 4th 2012 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10041623)
Wow Barb your sick pay is amazing...

Ive spent most of my vacations/holidays visiting my family in the UK, once Im back I intend to spend most of my holidays there, visisting places I have never been before, Ireland, Scotland and the Lake District, I will also go to places I love like Norfolk Devon and Cornwall... I have sisters in the USA so I will be here every other year, hopefully they will come to see me...

When I joined the Civil Service years ago my sick pay ON THE DAY I STARTED was 182.5 days per year - 6 months!!! :eek:

Yes I plan on doing all the above Fish when I get myself straight. Any change in your circumstances these days, ie housing market moving??

cheers May 4th 2012 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 10041270)
One of the reasons that they can afford all these holidays is that they are more established than we are, those of us who have moved back and forth across the world, removals, air fares, buying cars and furniture at full price selling it for next to nothing, moving again, more air fares and so it goes on.

My sister and her husband are in Spain or somewhere right now, I can't remember where as they have so many holidays :blink: HOWEVER they have been married 26 years (2nd marriage for both) and have always lived in the same town and only moved house twice in all that time.

So we have spent our money and our lives in different ways. Now for myself I couldn't think of anything worse than sitting around a hotel pool day after day sunbaking, when you have had your own swimming pool and enough sun to last a lifetime it doesn't have quite the same appeal.

When I get settled properly I will be spending my holiday time in jolly olde England thank you. :thumbsup:

I got 20 days annual leave in Australia (that is standard) and I used to get 25 days when I was a shift worker. I think the sick pay was about 10 days per year, I can't quite remember.

Here in this job I get:

23 days per year annual leave
25 days after 2 years
26 days after 5 years

Sick pay

0-6 months - nil
6 months to 5 years - 6 weeks full pay
5 years to 10 years - 6 weeks full pay, 6 weeks half pay
Over 10 years - 12 weeks full pay

You made me think of the expression "you don't have a job, you have a position"
It is unbelievable that in the US so many working people don't have any benefits. How they get around it is they are hired as temporary workers or part-time employees. Now if you are lucky to be hired as a full time employee then your holiday pay would be 1 week after you have completed one year of employment. wooopy!

sallysimmons May 4th 2012 4:45 pm

We went for dinner last night with some of my oldest friends (what a treat to be able to do that!) They were telling us their holiday plans - 2 weeks in Cornwall in June and one week up in the Lake District in August. Then the following summer they're planning a train trip across the Canadian Rockies. One is a teacher and one is a local government worker - hardly the best paying jobs, and yet all this is within reach for them. I don't know any American teachers planning to have three vacations within the next 12 months!

Beedubya May 4th 2012 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10041707)
You made me think of the expression "you don't have a job, you have a position"
It is unbelievable that in the US so many working people don't have any benefits. How they get around it is they are hired as temporary workers or part-time employees. Now if you are lucky to be hired as a full time employee then your holiday pay would be 1 week after you have completed one year of employment. wooopy!

Well that's what happens when you live in the country where the streets are paved with gold. ;)

cheers May 4th 2012 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 10041721)
Well that's what happens when you live in the country where the streets are paved with gold. ;)

now now:D

mikelincs May 4th 2012 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 10041649)
When I joined the Civil Service years ago my sick pay ON THE DAY I STARTED was 182.5 days per year - 6 months!!! :eek:

Yes I plan on doing all the above Fish when I get myself straight. Any change in your circumstances these days, ie housing market moving??

yes, even in the health service you would get 6 months on full pay, then sick pay would drop to 50%.

Mummy in the foothills May 4th 2012 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 10041721)

:lol:

J.JsOH May 4th 2012 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10041588)
Many if not most of my family are exactly the same Rodney, My cousin who isnt well off by any means also has holidays in the UK, she doesnt have a fancy job house or lifestyle but she goes places and enjoys herself.

Brits have a culture and expectation of foreign holidays. Foreign holidays have a higher priority than that of the people I knew in USA.
Americans I knew would often use vacation days one-by-one to go to school or church events, sport fixtures or family gatherings. Not all though, some US friends would take vacation to other parts of the US and another is in Zurich right now. I have met Americans is diverse places around the world.
No doubt the lesser availability of vacation days restricts Americans from extensive travel but I feel they just don't see it as necessary to have a good time.

cheers May 4th 2012 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10042072)
Brits have a culture and expectation of foreign holidays. Foreign holidays have a higher priority than that of the people I knew in USA.
Americans I knew would often use vacation days one-by-one to go to school or church events, sport fixtures or family gatherings. Not all though, some US friends would take vacation to other parts of the US and another is in Zurich right now. I have met Americans is diverse places around the world.
No doubt the lesser availability of vacation days restricts Americans from extensive travel but I feel they just don't see it as necessary to have a good time.

We are controlled by the 1%

sallysimmons May 4th 2012 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10042072)
[...] but I feel they just don't see it as necessary to have a good time.

True. Because too many of them think America is all there is. It would be a better country with a more efficient government and a more effective media if Americans realized there was a world out there with valuable things to offer them. If they traveled as widely as Brits do, they'd be far less gullible IMO.

That said, my friends often take their vacations in Britain, but instead of having one week every two years because they can't get away from work, they take two vacations and several long weekends every year. I know which I prefer.

cheers May 4th 2012 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10042111)
True. Because too many of them think America is all there is. It would be a better country with a more efficient government and a more effective media if Americans realized there was a world out there with valuable things to offer them. If they traveled as widely as Brits do, they'd be far less gullible IMO.

That said, my friends often take their vacations in Britain, but instead of having one week every two years because they can't get away from work, they take two vacations and several long weekends every year. I know which I prefer.

When are you moving to Harrogate?

windsong May 4th 2012 9:56 pm

Everyone - Does Pete who lives in St. Lucia in the Caribbean still post here?

cheers May 4th 2012 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10042226)

Not for a long time.

jasper123 May 4th 2012 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10042111)

Sally,
In all my 36 years of living in the USA I was only out of work for 7 months and that was about 2 years before I came home, the longest term I stayed at one Job was 8 years where I got 5 days vacation pay each year for the first ---- one through five years, on the start of the sixth year I got 10 days vacation pay from then on, if I had not been laid off along with over 30
others in 2007 and been allowed to compleat my tenth year instead of just 8 years I would have jumped right up to 15 days (3 weeks paid vacation per year) WHOOPIE :thumbdown::frown:
and as for sick pay, it always stayed at 5 days per year, and I worked for a huge international corporation that had hotels and luxury timeshare resorts in every part of the World ---- except maybe Kathmandu :)
And Barb I feel the same as you, I have no desire now Im back home to take holidays abroad, I like you have had a lifetime of way too much sun and heat, but I do understand the average Brits thinking though like always living here all there lives and I guess there just sick & tired of grey skies & rain, so when they go on holiday they prefer to soak up the sun, I can understand that,
But I hate too much sun, now Im away from the desert its just so wonderful to be able to sleep at night without air conditioning, and with blankets on the bed, I love walking instead of driving, and I love walking anywhere and looking up at grey skies, and quite chilly, thats a good day to me, and if the sun just happens to sneak through the clouds in the afternoon then thats a nice added bonus to the day :D WOW its good to be home :thumbsup:

Celticspirit May 4th 2012 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10042327)
Sally,
In all my 36 years of living in the USA I was only out of work for 7 months and that was about 2 years before I came home, the longest term I stayed at one Job was 8 years where I got 5 days vacation pay each year for the first ---- one through five years, on the start of the sixth year I got 10 days vacation pay from then on, if I had not been laid off along with over 30
others in 2007 and been allowed to compleat my tenth year instead of just 8 years I would have jumped right up to 15 days (3 weeks paid vacation per year) WHOOPIE :thumbdown::frown:
and as for sick pay, it always stayed at 5 days per year, and I worked for a huge international corporation that had hotels and luxury timeshare resorts in every part of the World ---- except maybe Kathmandu :)
And Barb I feel the same as you, I have no desire now Im back home to take holidays abroad, I like you have had a lifetime of way too much sun and heat, but I do understand the average Brits thinking though like always living here all there lives and I guess there just sick & tired of grey skies & rain, so when they go on holiday they prefer to soak up the sun, I can understand that,
But I hate too much sun, now Im away from the desert its just so wonderful to be able to sleep at night without air conditioning, and with blankets on the bed, I love walking instead of driving, and I love walking anywhere and looking up at grey skies, and quite chilly, thats a good day to me, and if the sun just happens to sneak through the clouds in the afternoon then thats a nice added bonus to the day :D WOW its good to be home :thumbsup:

Rodney....so lucky you are...it was so amazing to sleep with my bedroom window open in Befast and under a duvet. One sleeps so much better. It is already in the 90's here and forecast for a hotter than normal summer. My little guys ( dogs ) hate the heat.

Fish n Chips 56 May 5th 2012 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya;10041649[B
]When I joined the Civil Service years ago my sick pay ON THE DAY I STARTED was 182.5 days per year - 6 months!!! :[/B]eek:

Barb, Ive honestly never heard of such long sick pay, it really blows my mind. 182.5 days per year...

My circumstances are the same, theres no way we will be moving anytime soon... maybe and that's a Big maybe in 2013... I have my fingers crossed it will 2013 and would be satisfied if that happened at this point...

Gabgoeshome May 5th 2012 7:20 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10042226)

He did the other day...on the places to live thread...or whatever its called:o
:)

mikelincs May 5th 2012 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10042431)
Barb, Ive honestly never heard of such long sick pay, it really blows my mind. 182.5 days per year...

It's not quite as simple as that, you would only be alolwed that for a serious illness, and would have to be certified as long term sick, but with the possibility of returning to work, normally it was 3 days, without a certificate, then you had to get one, in later times, they got into the fact that some people were abusung the system, so you could then only take, I believe, 7 days self certificated, and then you would have to produce a certificate for even one day off. This was due to the number of people taking Monday off after a heavy weekend. We had one person working who did that several times, in the end he was referred for counselling as to his alcohol usage, and eventually it was suggested to him that he might wish to find alternative employment, he wasn't sacked, but that was the way he was warned.

Fish n Chips 56 May 5th 2012 8:33 am

I worked for a large American Corporation, I had to produce a Dr's sick note if I had any days off, it was that or Bye-bye, their opinion was, if you don't want to work there are plenty of people that do...

Lets not forget we had to pay a co-pay to see the Dr, it costs real money to be sick in America...

jasper123 May 5th 2012 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10042835)
I worked for a large American Corporation, I had to produce a Dr's sick note if I had any days off, it was that or Bye-bye, their opinion was, if you don't want to work there are plenty of people that do...

Lets not forget we had to pay a co-pay to see the Dr, it costs real money to be sick in America...

Not Arf!!!!
Thats an understatement, it certainly does cost real money to be sick in America, and the sicker you are the more it costs, and if you are real sick then bankrupsy is normally on the horizon :eek: :eek: :thumbdown:

cheers May 5th 2012 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10042989)
Not Arf!!!!
Thats an understatement, it certainly does cost real money to be sick in America, and the sicker you are the more it costs, and if you are real sick then bankrupsy is normally on the horizon :eek: :eek: :thumbdown:

I just got a prescription filled this week and it cost $280.00 for a months supply. I think I take about 6 other prescriptions daily. This backs up your observation of the high cost of being sick in the US.

I am fortunate to have various types of health and prescription insurance.

Cheers

cheers May 5th 2012 3:19 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 106564

Do you wish you were here?

I'm sure this was taken this week in a place called Helston.

Cheers

Derrygal May 5th 2012 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10043172)
Attachment 106564

Cheers

So you look at the Cornwall webcam pictures each day too??? I love Cornwall, have many happy memories of vacations there when I lived in England. It's my favorite part of England - one reason why I love watching Doc Martin so much (besides it being a great television show). :)
And yes - I wish I was there right now!!!

cheers May 5th 2012 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 10043192)
So you look at the Cornwall webcam pictures each day too??? I love Cornwall, have many happy memories of vacations there when I lived in England. It's my favorite part of England - one reason why I love watching Doc Martin so much (besides it being a great television show). :)

I think Rosie moved there (Devon) this weekend. She had been living in Frome.

Yes I look at the webcam daily. Do you look at the Lake district webcam?

http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/index.html

Cheers

Fish n Chips 56 May 5th 2012 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10043172)
Attachment 106564

Cheers

Go ahead and make me even more homesick if that is possible, Like Derry we too had many holidays in Cornwall and Devon, I just loved it, today I would love it even more.

Fish n Chips 56 May 5th 2012 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 10043192)

Oh C-mon, lets not talk about The DOC, saw the last episode Thursday night, Just loved it... dissapointed the series seemed to go so fast... time to rewatch them all for the umpthteen time.

I'm sure I'm not the only who is planning to visit Port Issac when they return, its on "THE LIST"...

O.K. Cheers why dont you post us that Cornwall webcam, Id love a look... I enjoy the lakeland cam and catch it when my memory kicks in... it really is beautiful... and the Abbey Road cam, it still gets me, so many try to copy that Beatles walk, the traffic there, it must drive them crazy...

Thanks Fish

cheers May 5th 2012 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10043272)
Oh C-mon, lets not talk about The DOC, saw the last episode Thursday night, Just loved it... dissapointed the series seemed to go so fast... time to rewatch them all for the umpthteen time.

I'm sure I'm not the only who is planning to visit Port Issac when they return, its on "THE LIST"...

O.K. Cheers why dont you post us that Cornwall webcam, Id love a look... I enjoy the lakeland cam and catch it when my memory kicks in... it really is beautiful... and the Abbey Road cam, it still gets me, so many try to copy that Beatles walk, the traffic there, it must drive them crazy...

Thanks Fish

http://www.cornwallcam.co.uk/

Derrygal May 5th 2012 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10043209)
I think Rosie moved there (Devon) this weekend. She had been living in Frome.

Yes I look at the webcam daily. Do you look at the Lake district webcam?

http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/index.html

Cheers

Yes - I look at both. I think someone on here posted the link - may have been you or else Sally. The weather is definitely better in Cornwall and Devon. The Lake District is very beautiful but it gets a lot of rain.

Derrygal May 5th 2012 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10043272)

Thanks Fish

At least you have seen Series 5 of Doc Martin. My PBS station doesn't show it so I have to wait until June when it becomes available on DVD - I'll probably get it from Netflix as the DVDs are expensive - although I did purchase Series 1 - 4 from Amazon last November on Cyber-Monday sale - I got the lot for $38 for all 4 series, which was a great deal!