British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

sallysimmons Apr 29th 2012 3:06 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Windsong, I wrote about it here. Hope it helps.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755592

windsong Apr 29th 2012 4:08 pm

Thank you Sally. Did you have trouble finding a place to rent that would take your cats? I think you have three. I have two cats and two small dogs.

Gabgoeshome Apr 29th 2012 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10031467)
Gab - you are back in the UK, too? When did you go back? Lucky you :D

Hello windsong :)

Yes, back end of February.

When I get the chance I'll do a proper up-date ....

Keep strong...it will be your turn soon ;)

sallysimmons Apr 29th 2012 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10031582)
Thank you Sally. Did you have trouble finding a place to rent that would take your cats? I think you have three. I have two cats and two small dogs.

I just have two now - one sadly died before we left. I answered this in the other thread but basically, the cats made it a little bit harder but by no means impossible. We put in bids on several great houses that were fine with pets and got one of them.

windsong Apr 29th 2012 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10031896)
I just have two now - one sadly died before we left. I answered this in the other thread but basically, the cats made it a little bit harder but by no means impossible. We put in bids on several great houses that were fine with pets and got one of them.

I am so sorry about the one that died, Sally, but at least you have the other two with you now.

Do you think four pets would be acceptable to someone over there?

I have been feeling very demoralized about it all today. My half-sister told me I would never find a place to take four pets and so I called the woman in Somerset who used to look after my father before he died. She told me the same thing. They even said that two would be impossible, especially if I were to rent a council house - and the woman in England told me that many of the council places are dreadful which put me off even more.

I was even considering retiring at the end of this year when I turn 60, collecting my SS and my small pension from the company I worked at for 16 years and moving back at the end of the year. Both together, if I retire early at 60, I am guessing would be about $1900. They told me I couldn't survive on this if I had to pay rent. Of course, the idea is to work until I am 65 over there but they told me it would be very difficult at my age to find a job as a secretary of sorts and that when I retired at 65 I would not be able to survive on $1900 a month.

My original idea was to go back when I am 65 but they said it would be very difficult to find somewhere to live then or to even afford it. If I wait until then my income would be about $2300-2400 a month but I am not sure I can wait that long. Things in this country are getting worse by the month!

Not much help from either one!

One even suggested I try to find a job working for perhaps a well known author who has a live in flat but again the pets would be an issue.

It is beginning to seem impossible to do at all.

Mummy in the foothills Apr 29th 2012 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10031925)
I am so sorry about the one that died, Sally, but at least you have the other two with you now.

Do you think four pets would be acceptable to someone over there?

I have been feeling very demoralized about it all today. My half-sister told me I would never find a place to take four pets and so I called the woman in Somerset who used to look after my father before he died. She told me the same thing. They even said that two would be impossible, especially if I were to rent a council house - and the woman in England told me that many of the council places are dreadful which put me off even more.

I was even considering retiring at the end of this year when I turn 60, collecting my SS and my small pension from the company I worked at for 16 years and moving back at the end of the year. Both together, if I retire early at 60, I am guessing would be about $1900. They told me I couldn't survive on this if I had to pay rent. Of course, the idea is to work until I am 65 over there but they told me it would be very difficult at my age to find a job as a secretary of sorts and that when I retired at 65 I would not be able to survive on $1900 a month.

My original idea was to go back when I am 65 but they said it would be very difficult to find somewhere to live then or to even afford it. If I wait until then my income would be about $2300-2400 a month but I am not sure I can wait that long. Things in this country are getting worse by the month!

Not much help from either one!

One even suggested I try to find a job working for perhaps a well known author who has a live in flat but again the pets would be an issue.

It is beginning to seem impossible to do at all.

I honestly think they are being very negative. There are obviously rentals that take people with animals as Sally has one.
$1,900 a month for a single person seems like a fine amount to live on depending on where you will live I suppose. I doubt you'd do well in London, but where we will be living rent on a one bedroom flat can be as low as $300 a month and a two bed house all the way up to $500 a month or so with everything in between. So it all depends on where and what you find.
I'd start with a short term holiday let like others have and go from there. Isn't Charlygirl renting a 2 bed bungalow thats detached for something like $600
Bee is working in senior housing not idea if pets are allowed in the flats owned by those types of companies, but you'd get an idea of the rent costs.
http://www.pawlets.co.uk/rental-property
http://www.findaproperty.com/display...0&storyid=8489
http://www.petfriendlyrentals.co.uk/about.html
http://www.pettastic-petsupplies.co....ntals-78-c.asp

sallysimmons Apr 29th 2012 9:35 pm

I have been feeling very demoralized about it all today. My half-sister told me I would never find a place to take four pets and so I called the woman in Somerset who used to look after my father before he died. She told me the same thing. They even said that two would be impossible

They're talking rubbish. Nothing is impossible. Ignore them and get on with your life. The world is made up of two kinds of people - those who make things happen for themselves and those who let other people dictate the terms of their lives. You have to decide which one you will be - and since none of us know how much time we have left, you have to decide it NOW.

Your sister and her friend are wrong. You only have to search this site to find hundreds of stories of people with pets who found rental properties.

If this is the kind of help they give you, I recommend not asking for their advice. Honestly, they're doing more harm than good.

I hope this doesn't sound harsh but nothing gets my goat more than people who rain on other peoples' parades with negative nonsense.

windsong Apr 29th 2012 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10031939)
I honestly think they are being very negative. There are obviously rentals that take people with animals as Sally has one.
$1,900 a month for a single person seems like a fine amount to live on depending on where you will live I suppose. I doubt you'd do well in London, but where we will be living rent on a one bedroom flat can be as low as $300 a month and a two bed house all the way up to $500 a month or so with everything in between. So it all depends on where and what you find.
I'd start with a short term holiday let like others have and go from there. Isn't Charlygirl renting a 2 bed bungalow thats detached for something like $600
Bee is working in senior housing not idea if pets are allowed in the flats owned by those types of companies, but you'd get an idea of the rent costs.

Thank you, Mummy. This is a great help. And, yes, I could have sworn that when Fish n Chips or Cheers (not sure which one) posted properties in the past I saw nice rentals for 600 pounds a month. I'm not looking for a mansion - two bedrooms perhaps with living area, bathroom and kitchen. I don't need a home the size of the one I am living in now. All I want is to be in my own country with my four pets and a decent roof over my head. This is what will give me peace of mind, not living in the USA.

I will look at these links you gave me, Mummy. Thanks so much for giving me some hope. I badly needed it today.

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 29th 2012 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10031939)

Great advice Sally...
I totally agree with you, It is so much easier to be negative than positive, Huhhhh I hate that negative attitude...

windsong Apr 29th 2012 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10031975)
They're talking rubbish. Nothing is impossible. Ignore them and get on with your life. The world is made up of two kinds of people - those who make things happen for themselves and those who let other people dictate the terms of their lives. You have to decide which one you will be - and since none of us know how much time we have left, you have to decide it NOW.

Your sister and her friend are wrong. You only have to search this site to find hundreds of stories of people with pets who found rental properties.

If this is the kind of help they give you, I recommend not asking for their advice. Honestly, they're doing more harm than good.

I hope this doesn't sound harsh but nothing gets my goat more than people who rain on other peoples' parades with negative nonsense.

Thank you, Sally. I totally agree with you. They caught me on a bad day and their words really got to me. Today they did indeed do more harm than good. Afterwards, I felt as if there was absolutely no hope and that's a dreadful feeling.

I am normally the type who determines what I want to make of my life and I go for it but as I said they caught me on a bad day - still recovering from a nasty bout of bronchitis and feeling rather down today even before I heard their words

I find it incredible to hear that at 59 I would have trouble getting a job. Perhaps certain kinds of jobs, that's true, but I do not consider 59 to be old these days and I certainly don't feel it.

They were so quick to offer negative words and at the same time not offer any help themselves.

windsong Apr 29th 2012 10:10 pm

One thing I realized today is that the place I need to come is to this forum - a lot more often. It is here I find the truth, wise advice, support and hope.

windsong Apr 29th 2012 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10032044)
One thing I realized today is that the place I need to come is to this forum - a lot more often. It is here I find the truth, wise advice, support and hope.

I forgot to add that I don't want to live anywhere near London. I was thinking of Somerset or even further south on the coast where it is quieter but close enough to a town or city where I can find a job.

The only city I would want to live close to is Edinburgh in Scotland because it is a very different city from most. I don't know if the cost of living is higher or lower in Scotland. Perhaps that's something I need to consider, too.

windsong Apr 29th 2012 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10032014)
Great advice Sally...
I totally agree with you, It is so much easier to be negative than positive, Huhhhh I hate that negative attitude...

Me, too!!!

windsong Apr 29th 2012 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome (Post 10031678)
Hello windsong :)

Yes, back end of February.

When I get the chance I'll do a proper up-date ....

Keep strong...it will be your turn soon ;)

Thank you, Gab. I hope it will.

I'd love to hear your update and so very glad you are back home :))))

windsong Apr 29th 2012 10:37 pm

Is DonTheTurner still posting? I hope so :))

lf1 Apr 29th 2012 10:38 pm

Hi Windsong,

Did you work in the UK before you left? if so, you may be eligible for a portion of the British Pension. Also, you can make payments to play catch up on some of the years you missed.

jasper123 Apr 29th 2012 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10031468)
I haven't been here for a month or so and already I see two people back home - Gab and Sally!!!

Now I want to leave everything and take my pets and be gone in a month back to the UK.

Im back in the U.K. to :D

jasper123 Apr 29th 2012 11:16 pm

I was even considering retiring at the end of this year when I turn 60, collecting my SS and my small pension from the company I worked at for 16 years and moving back at the end of the year. Both together, if I retire early at 60, I am guessing would be about $1900. .

Hello Windsong,
Did you know that the earliest age that you can collect your S.S. in the U.S. is 62 not 60, and you loose 25% of your benefits permanently,

cheers Apr 29th 2012 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10032099)
Im back in the U.K. to :D

Yea but you don't post much since you got that new chick:lol::lol::lol:

Homeiswheretheheartis Apr 29th 2012 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10031582)

Hi Windsong

I've rented my home (not just a house) out which is a 3 bedroomed detached, two bathrooms and a garden. To a family with 2 Jack Russells, I would have been happy for 2 cats as well:) Rental cost is £600 a month, so that gives you a little idea. You can also look on Rightmove.co.uk for rentals as well to get an idea of costs in the area you want.

In my area Lincolnshire the cheapest I could find was a 1 bed flat at £350.

Some landlords say no pets at first but if you ask it does no harm.

Celticspirit Apr 30th 2012 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis (Post 10032121)
Hi Windsong

I've rented my home (not just a house) out which is a 3 bedroomed detached, two bathrooms and a garden. To a family with 2 Jack Russells, I would have been happy for 2 cats as well:) Rental cost is £600 a month, so that gives you a little idea. You can also look on Rightmove.co.uk for rentals as well to get an idea of costs in the area you want.

I agree...just back from a week in Moscow (ugh) although the dog show was fabulous. Then 17 days in Belfast. That was when I felt I had never left. Rentals in Belfast are sadly some of the highest in the UK. Decent areas for a two bedroom flat are +£500 to +£800. They are small and modern. Asked about two or three small dogs......less than five lbs each. Most said no problem with a larger deposit. Windsong, I think you will be surprised that most agents are ok with animals. The weather was wonderful......cool and clear. Went to the incredible Titanic Museum. Didn't dare drive in the city but drove the Antrim coast road from Larne to Carnlough in my brother's automatic Nissan SUV. Everyone was so friendly....in the shops....taxi drivers. We are planning to get the house marketed in a month or so and sadly the divorce on track also. It is a lot to handle but my trip gave me renewed mental energy.

Beedubya Apr 30th 2012 6:28 am

I think the others on here are right Windsong, not EVERY landlord is going to want to rent to you with pets, but others will.

Where I live/work you are allowed to have one small pet. But as Sally and others have proven it can be done.

As for rent, well it really does depend on location, rents are varied all over the country, I would not be able to afford to rent in Surrey on one wage but could do it up north.

Jobs? Well I've had 2 since I got here and I am 58, so you see your family are wrong, nothing is black and white, it's all variables.....

If you have money then it is much easier because you can set the rental/car hire etc. up from overseas before you arrive then you just drive straight to your own place.

I know Easterndawn was on her own (no pets) and she did a house share for the first few months, you need to get your bearings unless you are moving back to an area you know well.

When was the last time you were in the UK? Where would you go to first when you got off the plane?

windsong May 1st 2012 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis (Post 10032121)
Hi Windsong

Thank you SO much for this!! I could certainly afford 600-700 a month. Your home sounds perfect, too!!

Gosh, I will be 60 towards the end of the year. I certainly don't feel it BUT then I would be eligible to draw my USA SS and my company pension. I could live on those together in the UK but I plan to work, too and save most of the income from the job for 5 years.

Wouldn't it be a miracle if I could be back there by the end of the year!! Oh my gosh, I think that feels as good as if I won the lottery!

This gives me such hope because there have to be other people who feel the same way.

Thanks again for posting this. In fact, I think I will do a screenshot of it so I can look at it when I get demoralized :D

windsong May 1st 2012 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 10032413)
I think the others on here are right Windsong, not EVERY landlord is going to want to rent to you with pets, but others will.

Where I live/work you are allowed to have one small pet. But as Sally and others have proven it can be done.

As for rent, well it really does depend on location, rents are varied all over the country, I would not be able to afford to rent in Surrey on one wage but could do it up north.

Jobs? Well I've had 2 since I got here and I am 58, so you see your family are wrong, nothing is black and white, it's all variables.....

If you have money then it is much easier because you can set the rental/car hire etc. up from overseas before you arrive then you just drive straight to your own place.

I know Easterndawn was on her own (no pets) and she did a house share for the first few months, you need to get your bearings unless you are moving back to an area you know well.

When was the last time you were in the UK? Where would you go to first when you got off the plane?

I haven't been back for over 15 years, Bee, and as to where I would go when I first got off the plane - good question! Probably to my half-sister who would probably consent to give me a roof over my head if she knew it wouldn't be for long. Believe me, I don't want to live with her at all but it is handy to have somewhere to go until I get settled and it is even more handy to know someone who knows how things work over there because I don't know anymore.

Beedubya May 2nd 2012 5:22 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10036307)
I haven't been back for over 15 years, Bee, and as to where I would go when I first got off the plane - good question! Probably to my half-sister who would probably consent to give me a roof over my head if she knew it wouldn't be for long. Believe me, I don't want to live with her at all but it is handy to have somewhere to go until I get settled and it is even more handy to know someone who knows how things work over there because I don't know anymore.

OK well then that's your start to get the ball rolling!! :thumbsup:

aries May 2nd 2012 9:16 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10036307)

I've been back here for nearly 6 months after half a century in Australia, and I think I made a bad mistake accepting the offers of relatives to stay with them in locations which are not where I would like to live, and which have been difficult to travel from. My original plan had been to rent a bedsit in London where it would have been much easier for travel to potential living areas, and in retrospect this would have been much better for me.

So-called help by relatives has amounted to pressure and harassment, whereas allowing me to ask for help and advice when needed would have been preferable.

I have ditched the purchase of two flats far apart for differing reasons, but hopefully it is third time lucky, and I should be exchanging contracts next week. I have been in hospital twice and recently been quite ill (made worse and dangerous by a pharmacist dispensing the wrong medication), so it has not been an easy time.

The NHS also had me mixed up with someone of the same name but with a different date of birth, so that took time to sort out, and my UK and Australian pensions are still in a state of flux, but slowly things are coming together even though I sometimes wonder if returning to England was wise. Hopefully I can get the basics of life together very soon, and take a long needed holiday in Germany in June. My friend there will find me a little flat as she did in 2009.

jasper123 May 2nd 2012 9:48 am

Originally Posted by aries (Post 10036834)
I've been back here for nearly 6 months after half a century in Australia, and I think I made a bad mistake accepting the offers of relatives to stay with them in locations which are not where I would like to live, and which have been difficult to travel from. My original plan had been to rent a bedsit in London where it would have been much easier for travel to potential living areas, and in retrospect this would have been much better for me.

So-called help by relatives has amounted to pressure and harassment, whereas allowing me to ask for help and advice when needed would have been preferable.

I have ditched the purchase of two flats far apart for differing reasons, but hopefully it is third time lucky, and I should be exchanging contracts next week. I have been in hospital twice and recently been quite ill (made worse and dangerous by a pharmacist dispensing the wrong medication), so it has not been an easy time.

The NHS also had me mixed up with someone of the same name but with a different date of birth, so that took time to sort out, and my UK and Australian pensions are still in a state of flux, but slowly things are coming together even though I sometimes wonder if returning to England was wise. Hopefully I can get the basics of life together very soon, and take a long needed holiday in Germany in June. My friend there will find me a little flat as she did in 2009.

Hey aries,
WOW good to hear from you again, Im sorry for the big screw ups you have had from the NHS mixing you up with someone else of the same name, I have found though that in the U.K. names and addresses are used to identify people, and the NHS numbers are kind of secondary,
I dont know how they do it in Oz but in U.S. they use everyones social security number to identify them first and foremost, and then the name and address and birth date, ----- but it just seems that authorities are so much less careful over hear in checking peoples I.D.'S ------ just one example, you go and pick up your prescription from the Pharmacy and they ask your name, they bring you your prescription and before handing it over they just ask you your address, not even your full address just your house number and street is all thats required here, and then you got your prescription, you could be anyone, as long as you can answer the correct address thats it!!!!
Take care
Rodney

Beedubya May 2nd 2012 10:26 am

Originally Posted by aries (Post 10036834)

So sorry to hear about your illness's Aries and that things haven't gone as you would have liked. :(

I have a common name and in my last surgery there was somebody of the same name but it was always verified by address when booking appointments, etc.

I do think it takes a good year or two for it all to come together in the majority of cases, wow look at the major upheaval we have made in our lives at our ages!!

I hope your flat comes through for you and you enjoy your holiday in June. Do keep in touch before then though.

mikelincs May 2nd 2012 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10036889)
Hey aries,
WOW good to hear from you again, Im sorry for the big screw ups you have had from the NHS mixing you up with someone else of the same name, I have found though that in the U.K. names and addresses are used to identify people, and the NHS numbers are kind of secondary,
I dont know how they do it in Oz but in U.S. they use everyones social security number to identify them first and foremost, and then the name and address and birth date, ----- but it just seems that authorities are so much less careful over hear in checking peoples I.D.'S ------ just one example, you go and pick up your prescription from the Pharmacy and they ask your name, they bring you your prescription and before handing it over they just ask you your address, not even your full address just your house number and street is all thats required here, and then you got your prescription, you could be anyone, as long as you can answer the correct address thats it!!!!
Take care
Rodney

The NHS number would be a great way of ID as it's given at birth, and never changes now. The problem aries had would be that they would have had the old style number, therefore the people searching would only have the name, and DOB to go on, given they should have had the DOB then it's incompetence that caused the mix up, but having seen and been involved with some of the numpties that are employed in those jobs it's not really a wonder. The NHS number was, AFAIK, going to be used as the national ID number had the UK not chickened out of introducing it.

Mummy in the foothills May 2nd 2012 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10036889)
Hey aries,
Take care
Rodney

Thats how our CVS pharmacy checks you here when you pick up a prescription. Then you sign for it and put your relationship to the person who's prescription it is (self) if it's your own. I've picked up for patients who were home bound, told them to put it on their account and walked off with all kinds of expensive meds, luckily I was going to the patients home and taking them the meds and not a dealer.

So sorry to hear you've been ill Aires, and :fingerscrossed: third times a charm and new place comes though OK.

aries May 2nd 2012 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10037307)
The NHS number would be a great way of ID as it's given at birth, and never changes now. The problem aries had would be that they would have had the old style number, therefore the people searching would only have the name, and DOB to go on, given they should have had the DOB then it's incompetence that caused the mix up, but having seen and been involved with some of the numpties that are employed in those jobs it's not really a wonder. The NHS number was, AFAIK, going to be used as the national ID number had the UK not chickened out of introducing it.

My National Insurance Number was known, but apparently they are not able to cross check with the NHS. But even with this I experienced problems. I needed to phone their International Office in Newcastle a number of times, and each time when they tried to access my file they said they were blocked, I have a more secure file, and someone more senior would have to phone me back.

cheers May 3rd 2012 1:01 am

I think someone was writing about getting treatment from NHS so I found this story about Health Tourists and the difficulty the NHS is having recouping their costs.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...n-unpaid-bills

cheers May 3rd 2012 1:13 am

Going back to a posting of a few day ago and my ranting of the American war machine.
What I was getting at is that the dollar currency is having some problem apparently on the world markets. I don't get it? A lot of countries are crying about their economies and yet IMO the dollar is at a low. I think it should be the other way around.
Another thing that bothers me is the way we,US, spend money on the military so as to rule the world. What do I know?
Another point that I was not clear on is the way people from other countries are able to travel and spend money and yet Americans can only watch because they don't seem to have the money?
Cheers

bandrui May 3rd 2012 4:50 am

1 Attachment(s)
This is the chit-chat thread right?

This photo just cracks me up. It was sent to me by an old schoolfriend in England but probably sent to her by her daughter who lives in Canada.

Attachment 106543

I think it's the expression on the cat's face.

cheers May 3rd 2012 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 10038709)

This photo just cracks me up. It was sent to me by an old schoolfriend in England but probably sent to her by her daughter who lives in Canada.

Attachment 106543

Seems like the kitten prefers being carried by this rangoo(?) than a human being.

How is the arm healing?

Cheers

mikelincs May 3rd 2012 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10039534)
Seems like the kitten prefers being carried by this rangoo(?) than a human being.

How is the arm healing?

Cheers

racoon.. :D

Celticspirit May 3rd 2012 4:03 pm

Attachment 106543

Brilliant!

Beedubya May 3rd 2012 5:20 pm

Attachment 106543

Good one!!

shelley748 May 4th 2012 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10032014)
Great advice Sally...

I am with you on that one Fish!!

Fish n Chips 56 May 4th 2012 1:11 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10038414)
Going back to a posting of a few day ago and my ranting of the American war machine.
What I was getting at is that the dollar currency is having some problem apparently on the world markets. I don't get it? A lot of countries are crying about their economies and yet IMO the dollar is at a low. I think it should be the other way around.
Another thing that bothers me is the way we,US, spend money on the military so as to rule the world. What do I know?
Another point that I was not clear on is the way people from other countries are able to travel and spend money and yet Americans can only watch because they don't seem to have the money?Cheers

Thats because the 1% have got us where they want us, the greedy and powerful control of us, there is no hope unless we stick together for the common good, and even then it will be a struggle...

The powerful like to put people up against each other, black against white, straight against gay, workers versus unemployed, throw in some illegals for good measure, that way we argue amongst ourselves instead of watching what the 1% are doing to us...

The greedy and powerful don't give a toss about the workers, we are disposable, that's why we don't have a healthcare system that takes care of everyone... if the Rich needed us they would make sure we had the best healthcare...

There is no doubt that Americans have been brainwashed by the media into thinking they have it all, keep telling them they have the best life and they will actually believe it.

I doubt British Television would ever tell Brits they've got it good.

All my UK in laws have more time off than me, they go away to places Ive never been, how would I find the time and money.

I totally agree about the War machine, thats what you get when people live in fear of what may happen, Fear is used to sell Americans many things.