Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I was too as I was FINALLY driving my car!!!
Congratulations Bee. Driving at last. You need a medal for patience and persistance but it will all become a distant memory as you are now mobile!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:44 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Ohhhh!! How did it feel to be driving over there again?

Do you feel as if you are finally "home"???
Oh I was SO nervous LOL!! I have never driven in the UK before though I passed my test in Australia about 28 years ago!!

We drive on the same side over there and it is mostly the same but some different road markings and signs......

But after a few local "trips" up and down roads to visit family I felt pretty confident BUT not enough to go on the motorway tomorrow as my brother suggested.

He said I should drive and he would sit next to me on our way to Manchester but I have chickened out, that is TOO much for a learner like me.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off-topic posts from over 50's/60's thread

Originally Posted by Englishmum
They call them window washers in the US as far as I can tell. I live in a very modest 3 bedroomed colonial-style house in New Jersey and it has insect screens and (thin) glass storm screens. A couple of years ago I was having the gutters cleaned - it's essential here as there are many trees and the rainfall can be very heavy indeed. The gutter cleaning company also washes windows, so I asked for both jobs to be done.

I had a massive bill - $95 for the gutter cleaning and a whopping $400 to clean the bloody windows!

Needless to say, the next time they get professionally cleaned is when I put the house on the market.
:curse:
OMG I think most streets in Pompey have there own residential window cleaners, and you see its so easy for those guys cause in my town just about all houses are terraced houses so you get a whole city of thousands of streets with hundreds of houses in every street all joined on to each other,
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:37 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=232364

For all Coronation Street lovers, Farewell To Liz..........shown about an hour ago on the telly here and uploaded to ITV player already!!!

Liz McDonald has left Corrie after 20 years.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Mummy in the foothills.....This is what the sponge looks like. I think you can also get it at Amazon. I am sure if you ask in Lowes or Home Depot they will have them I think thats where I got mine from.

http://www.parish-supply.com/dry_cleaning_sponge.htm
That one looks interesting my wood stove needs a clean now the weather has warmed up. I'll ask in Home Depot and Lowes next time we are in town.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

For all Coronation Street lovers, Farewell To Liz..........shown about an hour ago on the telly here and uploaded to ITV player already!!!

Has she left the show for good? I watched the episode where she left at night she was supposed to go off to Andy's house in Spain and come back for the trial.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:57 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Has she left the show for good? I watched the episode where she left at night she was supposed to go off to Andy's house in Spain and come back for the trial.
***************SPOILER ALERT************

Yes she has, but hasn't been discounted for coming back for a little occassional visit, it was all a bit teary really LOL!!!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I am loving the thick cut smoked bacon here and the tasty sausages.

Put them together with free range eggs, mushrooms, fried tomatoes and black pudding if you are lucky.
I guess we have all the ingredients for the northern fry-up here (mushrooms imported) incl. the pork puddin' or boudin.

Have been to Australia but can't remember ever eating the bacon there so I don't know what you left behind bacon-wise. Over this side of the world we can either get Canadian bacon which is a bit like ham though comes in round discs or American bacon which is streaky and very fatty. So that meaty heart of English back bacon is greatly missed until somebody thinks of importing it.

The fatty American bacon does just fine here moistening the breast of a roasted local chicken.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:25 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by windsong
Exactly Peter - B&B style. And just to be in the dining room at breakfast time and to smell the wonderful British breakfasts being prepared - totally delightful!!

I was just looking at some of the "gastronomical delights" at the link you posted - Lancashire hot pot, etc. and, granted I am not much of a cook, but everything I cook here tastes the same and nothing like the dish would taste if cooked in Britain. My mother was a good cook and even with her USA-cooked British meals, the taste wasn't the same. I don't know if it is because, even though we use the same ingredients, they are different or what the problem could be.

I just know there's nothing like being in the UK and eating the dish the way it is supposed to taste.
And the reverse is true Tina, because I swear my bolognese sauce does not taste as good as it did in Australia, so be prepared.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:25 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Shows how long it is since I last watched - I've never even heard of her I'm getting old
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:27 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Sorry about that! Anyway isn't this ON TOPIC - a great motivator for going "back" is the good ole full English breakfast and real back bacon and tasty meaty sausages. I admit it's not really healthy eating.
As far as I know Pete, EVERYTHING is ON TOPIC here.............
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Shows how long it is since I last watched - I've never even heard of her I'm getting old
No Sally not old, you are just not a Corrie watcher, she has been in it for 20 years LOL!!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Beedubya - sadly your link will only work in the UK

(oh, another exciting thing about moving to Switzerland is that one can get the English TV stations....when I was in the serviced apartment (near Zug) I was watching Corrie ). I'm never going to learn German if they have English TV there...
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Me too ---- Liz who?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:12 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

No Sally not old, you are just not a Corrie watcher, she has been in it for 20 years LOL!!
That's what I mean! When I was a regular watcher, Bet Lynch and Betty were still behind the bar. I think I stopped watching when I left college at 21 and sadly that was over 20 years ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.