British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Englishmum Apr 20th 2011 5:48 pm

Re: Off-topic posts from over 50's/60's thread

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9316126)

We have a real problem with our windows. Our house is perched on steep rock, so to get to the top floors on one side you need very tall ladders - taller than we are willing to climb. And apparently, there are no residential window cleaners in this area. I've looked for years and not found anyone. We've had the top windows cleaned each time someone paints the house but that's hardly regular enough!

Has anyone else in the US had a problem finding a window cleaner?

They call them window washers in the US as far as I can tell. I live in a very modest 3 bedroomed colonial-style house in New Jersey and it has insect screens and (thin) glass storm screens. A couple of years ago I was having the gutters cleaned - it's essential here as there are many trees and the rainfall can be very heavy indeed. The gutter cleaning company also washes windows, so I asked for both jobs to be done.

I had a massive bill - $95 for the gutter cleaning and a whopping $400 to clean the bloody windows! :eek::thumbdown:

Needless to say, the next time they get professionally cleaned is when I put the house on the market.
:curse:

Englishmum Apr 20th 2011 5:52 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9316514)
The weather here is absolulty superb at the moment. :D

Had to get my cardy off and my shades on!!! :thumbup:

Yes, it has been a wonderful Spring in England (spouse has been in the UK and Switzerland for the past six weeks, it's been fantastic in Switzerland too):

It's apparently going to be the hottest Easter on record in the UK - you lucky bllighters!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...r-on-record.do

Meanwhile over here in New Jersey it is overcast, very cool temps and often rainy or drizzly this Spring. :(

PS: Just got the radio on, they're obsessed with the Royal Wedding over here, they're now talking about what's on the menu at Buckingham Palace on the big day...:lol:

cheers Apr 20th 2011 5:53 pm

The price is right..

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32853050.html

£68,000

islandwoman120 Apr 20th 2011 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9316514)
The weather here is absolulty superb at the moment. :D

Had to get my cardy off and my shades on!!! :thumbup:

Real summer weather in Frome too - eat your heart out, Cheers! Birds everywhere, spring blossoms morphing into leaves.:)

sallysimmons Apr 20th 2011 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9317030)

whopping $400 to clean the bloody windows! :eek::thumbdown:

Holy cow!!! I wonder if our gutter company does windows. I'll have to ask. But at that price I'm with you - I'll wait until the house goes up for sale.

cheers Apr 20th 2011 6:25 pm

Another choice with a real British garden.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-17940183.html

windsong Apr 20th 2011 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9317080)
Another choice with a real British garden.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-17940183.html

Very nice house for that price, Cheers. Lovely garden, too. Needs updating throughout but you can live in this one while you do it. Looks like a nice neighborhood.

jasper123 Apr 20th 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9314576)
Seems you can't win Sue. I was one of the people asking for them to be moved, so you can all direct your anger at me instead of Sue. I am one of the people who got fired at too often - I had private conversations with the 'offending parties' as I still have a few manners left, but that did not help - in fact it made matters worse. So I dropped out of sight. But I resented that, as I loved being on here with people who had supported me through some very dark days last year, and I felt the loss. And no, I cannot just gloss over postings which hurt me and others, I feel deeply. So if you are lucky enough to have either large shoulders or can shed barbs like water off a duck's back, good for you - I am not made that way. But now I no longer care - fire away, I will ignore you now. I am finally secure in being in the UK and if you need any information from me, then send me a PM just as a few people continue to do, whether I post or not. I am still subscribed to the threads.

Rosie very well said, and yes we all must stay together, over time we all have become very good friends, and like you ----- I feel that I would certainly miss so many people on our wonderful thread ---- so if we have to bob around different threads to talk to each other then so be it!!!! I would rather it stayed like it was but ------ well think about it this way all us regulars (oldies) were like living in this big international house, and then the residents of the house grew and grew untill there were too many for the size of the house so it was necesary to build a couple more houses to accomadate all the rest, -------------- thats life, things change, all the oldies on here know that I would have been totally lost if I did not have the support of all these wonderful people on here, on the original 50,s & 60,s club from the time I joined in August of 2009, the warmth and careing and friendship that I felt from everyone from the early days till now was and still is fantastic,

Without you all ---- FIRST I would never had become an American Citizen, so many people said to me Just go for it --- so I did, and SECOND I would not be in England now enjoying everything thats here (including the lovely weather we are having of late) and settling down real nice and enjoying my retirement to the hilt, and just living every day to the absolute fullest, And enjoying being with my Mum and getting to know her again, Its just great!!! as they used to say in America years ago in the movies -----
Im a happy man and everythings just SWELL ---- JUST SWELL HONEY :D
:thumbsup:
Take care rosie and all my friends on here.
Ed/pegie nice to see you on here again,
OPPPPS am I getting a little too serious here ---- am I supossed to be on another thread? well no I dont think so cause I was posting in response to Rosies post on here so it has to be here right? ----- OMG not quite sure really ----- Oh Well I will just have to chance it --- take a gamble ---- after all Im from Las Vegas right? but I got to be real careful what I do and say from now on though cause ------ we are on the radar:eek:
Please excuse all the spelling mistakes ------- Oh Boy I sure need that spell check working ----- but right now its on the blink ---- Oh well :ohmy:
Rodney in Pompey ;)

Beedubya Apr 20th 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9316572)
Oh shut up!:lol:

You like to make grown men cry.;)

I'm listening to Smooth Radio as I write.

I was too as I was FINALLY driving my car!!! :lol:

Beedubya Apr 20th 2011 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9316689)
Sorry about that! Anyway isn't this ON TOPIC - a great motivator for going "back" is the good ole full English breakfast and real back bacon and tasty meaty sausages. I admit it's not really healthy eating.

I am loving the thick cut smoked bacon here and the tasty sausages. :thumbsup:

Put them together with free range eggs, mushrooms, fried tomatoes and black pudding if you are lucky. :thumbsup:

windsong Apr 20th 2011 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9317155)
I was too as I was FINALLY driving my car!!! :lol:

Ohhhh!! How did it feel to be driving over there again?

Do you feel as if you are finally "home"???

windsong Apr 20th 2011 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9317159)

Put them together with free range eggs, mushrooms, fried tomatoes and black pudding if you are lucky. :thumbsup:

Now I am getting reeeeaaalllly hungry for British food!!

Beedubya Apr 20th 2011 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9316736)
Easterndawn.....Are you going to pop back onto our regular thread. My head is getting dizzy decided which thread I should post in. :eek:

Just post in both TT :thumbup:, this should be the anything goes thread and the other for more kind of factual/emotional matters that deal with going back to the UK for good.

bandrui Apr 20th 2011 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9316141)
Here's something to feast your eyes on (from the Daily Telegraph expat section)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...f-Britain.html

Yum.

jasper123 Apr 20th 2011 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9317159)

Oh yes music to my ears ----- indeed :)