British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Novocastrian May 2nd 2017 9:04 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 12242907)
Good to hear you're doing well Don, hopefully your plans will get sorted soon. After having lost about 100 lbs in the past 3 years or so, getting about is much easier and we're really enjoying Northumberland.

As are we. Northumberland is a well kept secret. Long may it remain so.
We had a great time and a long walk at Beamish yesterday. Memories reawakened. (OK that's in Durham)

God, if I lost 100 lbs, I'd weigh in at midget flyweight. :(

Not eating chocolate might be the key. :nod:

curleytops May 3rd 2017 12:06 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12243121)
As are we. Northumberland is a well kept secret. Long may it remain so.
We had a great time and a long walk at Beamish yesterday. Memories reawakened. (OK that's in Durham)

God, if I lost 100 lbs, I'd weigh in at midget flyweight. :(

Not eating chocolate might be the key. :nod:

That thought crosses my mind every time I see those ghastly scenes of wall to wall people crammed onto the beaches in better known areas every summer.

Beamish is definitely on our "to do" list.

mikelincs May 3rd 2017 2:39 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 12243516)
That thought crosses my mind every time I see those ghastly scenes of wall to wall people crammed onto the beaches in better known areas every summer.

Beamish is definitely on our "to do" list.

Give yourself a full day to do it properly, otherwise you will be rushed.

cheers May 3rd 2017 3:47 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12243077)
Any suggestions for good sugar free chocolate for diabetics?

I am a diabetic but they say I can "cheat" occasionally.
I have low readings in the morning and over 150 in the pm.
I am more worried of low sugar than high sugar although I know they are both bad.
My question is how many millions of people are unaware they have diabetes?

Cheers

cheers May 3rd 2017 4:05 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 12242786)
I was about to say the same thing Don, Cadbury's chocolate is rubbish these days and I love those boxes of little bars of chocolate you get at Aldi and Lidl. The milk chocolate hazlenut and the white chocolate are absolutely delicious and you can get other varieties with fruits and nuts in them as well. Depending on the type, they run approximately 99p - £1.60 (ish) for a box with 5 bars.

The other big grocery stores usually have some kind of bars on 2 for £1 for the standard size bars, it varies.

As for fish & chips - Our new local favorite charges £5.65 for a large cod and chips (which hubby and I split, so I'm still a cheap date). About the same as we were paying when we lived in Cumbria but I would imagine this would vary around the country.

Cheap date huh?
Last night I bought my wife 3 tacos for a dollar. Its a Tuesday special at Del Taco (1pm-8 pm I think.) That is what she wanted. She doesn't like to cook at this point. We had to throw out 3 big tomatoes and some bacon the other day.
Oh she loves the big Hot Dogs from Costco which cost $1.50 and you get all the soda (root beer) you can drink (which is free refills) included.

I realize some of you have never lived in the Americas but you can probably get the gist of what I'm saying.

Cheers

cheers May 3rd 2017 4:17 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12242568)
Where we are our regular order of two cod and one lot of chips comes to £10.30, but this, of course, is on the south coast. Chocolate bars can be bought, as part of a multibuy four for a pound, single big bars can be £1. depends on where and what are on special offer.

that works out at 30 US cents which is quite cheap.
Chocolate bars cost a dollar here except when they go on sale.
We will be in the Crawley/Copthorne area for a few days and then Southampton for one night next week.
Off the subject but we plan on Visiting Churchills Chatwell House and on another day ride the Bluebell Train.

cheers May 3rd 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 12242844)
Hi Curleytops - My local Chippy Favourite is Roe. Just love it, cannot get the big tins now though, as my Wife would be doing it, using Thai batter Mix, which is so moreish! Hoping to retire back to thailand,soon, but the £ pound is not helping. PS - I am so lucky, at 86, to have the get up and go, still, And you?/

Don thanks for the update! Glad you are well and active. I'm now 79 but mentally think I'm 59 or even younger.

Stay in touch. Good luck on returning to Thailand.

Cheers

cheers May 3rd 2017 4:56 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
I had a interesting experience last week because I went to the funeral of a neighbor. I knew he was a 89 year old German. I didn't get to speak to him very much because our paths never crossed, and it was brought out that he was a leader in the Nazi Youth which I think he joined at 8 years old. He was drafted in the Nazi Army at 14.
His family (American) said he tried to explain to them the other side of the war. I know Hitler became very popular after he improved the economy and his beef was the realigning the borders after WW1. But he was a real mad man.(understatment)
I have seen some documentaries recently that were never before seen and part of them is interviewing Nazi Veterans and leaning of their experiences.
They also talked to allied veterans (they are quite old now) and some of them said they were quite troubled when they found out that towards the end of the war the enemy were children in uniform. He said one Nazi child soldier cried out "Mummy!" for his mother when he was shot and was dying. Sickening!
Well I think it is best to be forgotten but good to remember and try and see it doesn't happen again. What am I saying? It is happening today in Syria!
Cheers

Editha May 3rd 2017 5:28 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Hitler's 'economic miracle' was achieved partly by excluding women and jews from unemployment figures, as well as anyone in a concentration camp. Conscription helped too.

cheers May 4th 2017 12:03 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12243816)
Hitler's 'economic miracle' was achieved partly by excluding women and jews from unemployment figures, as well as anyone in a concentration camp. Conscription helped too.

Also building up the war tools was a big part.

Perth May 5th 2017 4:27 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 12243697)
I am a diabetic but they say I can "cheat" occasionally.
I have low readings in the morning and over 150 in the pm.
I am more worried of low sugar than high sugar although I know they are both bad.
My question is how many millions of people are unaware they have diabetes?

Cheers

Hi Cheers, I am a type 2 diabetic on low dose tablets. Actually, since I have been here my blood sugar is excellent, despite succumbing to digestives and ginger snaps. Have not had chocolate though, but did have a small full cream ice cream. Lovely!

The last few months I was in the US I was on a very low carbs diet, as that's the trend right now for diabetics. Blood sugar did not respond at all to that. Reminded me of the time when I went vegan for 6 months, stopped taking my statins (as I wasn't eating anything with cholesterol - right?) and my cholesterol shopt right up.

DD is a cardiology nurse. She says when you have type 2 because of genetics (father and g-father in my case) it may not respond as well to changes in diet and behaviour as type 2 brought on by diet and behaviour patterns. Makes no sense to me, but she's the nurse.

cheers May 5th 2017 6:44 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12245828)
Hi Cheers, I am a type 2 diabetic on low dose tablets. Actually, since I have been here my blood sugar is excellent, despite succumbing to digestives and ginger snaps. Have not had chocolate though, but did have a small full cream ice cream. Lovely!

The last few months I was in the US I was on a very low carbs diet, as that's the trend right now for diabetics. Blood sugar did not respond at all to that. Reminded me of the time when I went vegan for 6 months, stopped taking my statins (as I wasn't eating anything with cholesterol - right?) and my cholesterol shopt right up.

DD is a cardiology nurse. She says when you have type 2 because of genetics (father and g-father in my case) it may not respond as well to changes in diet and behaviour as type 2 brought on by diet and behaviour patterns. Makes no sense to me, but she's the nurse.

Thank you for that. Both my parents had SD. I think they said they beat it. I wonder what that means?

cheers May 26th 2017 1:37 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Just got back from London (Gatwick), Southampton, Norway.
Love England.
My wife loves Southampton.
I saw a red fox from the train.
The train was OK. Southwest.
Gatwick was very busy and confusing.

BEVS May 26th 2017 6:21 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 12260677)
I saw a red fox from the train.
.

Ooo. A lovely reynard fox.
How wonderful.

mikelincs May 26th 2017 6:41 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12260732)
Ooo. A lovely reynard fox.
How wonderful.

I remember a few years ago driving late at night and seeing an adult fox with two cubs on the road ahead, I stopped the car and just watched till they moved out of the way, never saw them again, but had seen several in the area before, adults only, and even during the day.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:27 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.