Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old May 31st 2016, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi aries,
Well I was earning £7 a week in England at the Portsmouth Dockyard before I arrived in Melbourne in 1965 and making £21 per week as a tram conductor, yes they still had conductors in those days!! and I also thought that felt like a fortune in those days, my digs cost £5 per week and that was in a rooming house including full board and all utilities ---- not bad huh!!!
So in 1955 I was making £3.17.6d a week as an customs clerk in Liverpool and then moved to New Jersey and I literally walked the streets looking for work to no avail. I was fortunate to join the U.S. Air Force after a few months.
I did work briefly for a small Italian market but I think I was fired after about 5 days? I then worked for Safeway for two weeks and I was let go.
I Stayed in the Air Force for about 4 years. They were good to me.
Life is an interesting experience, what!

Cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
So in 1955 I was making £3.17.6d a week as an customs clerk in Liverpool and then moved to New Jersey and I literally walked the streets looking for work to no avail. I was fortunate to join the U.S. Air Force after a few months.
I did work briefly for a small Italian market but I think I was fired after about 5 days? I then worked for Safeway for two weeks and I was let go.
I Stayed in the Air Force for about 4 years. They were good to me.
Life is an interesting experience, what!

Cheers
cheers,
Has the property market recovered yet in the U.S.? I know how bad it got from 2008 on after the crash, well I was amazed to hear the other day on TV that house prices in certain parts of England like the south have increased by 20% more then they were in the hight of the housing bubble in 2007 before the crash, but they said that the north of England is still not doing so well!!!

Did you know
Its national FISH & CHIPS DAY TODAY Friday over this side of the pond!!!

were you able to save anything from that £3.17.6d a week?
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

cheers,
Has the property market recovered yet in the U.S.? I know how bad it got from 2008 on after the crash, well I was amazed to hear the other day on TV that house prices in certain parts of England like the south have increased by 20% more then they were in the hight of the housing bubble in 2007 before the crash, but they said that the north of England is still not doing so well!!!

Did you know
Its national FISH & CHIPS DAY TODAY Friday over this side of the pond!!!

were you able to save anything from that £3.17.6d a week?
My parents asked me to kick in £1 per week and I was able to save for my trip to the US. I had more pocket money then than since.
My down fall was and is owning a car but you have to have one in this country.
Housing is doing really good here. Lots of new homes are being built in my area.
I was just reading in the Daily Telegraph that Devon (or is it Cornwall?)is a depressed area and receiving aid from the EU.
I'm very interested in the referendum and I was sure that it is going to pass but now I'm not sure. What are people thinking?
What do you think? Or more to the point, what are people saying in your area?
Cheers
Old Jun 4th 2016, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

My parents asked me to kick in £1 per week and I was able to save for my trip to the US. I had more pocket money then than since.
Housing is doing really good here. Lots of new homes are being built in my area.
I was just reading in the Daily Telegraph that Devon (or is it Cornwall?)is a depressed area and receiving aid from the EU.
I'm very interested in the referendum and I was sure that it is going to pass but now I'm not sure. What are people thinking?
Cheers
Michael Gove had his turn for an hour last night on sky news 8pm, question & answers from the audiance, the program followed Cameron's hour same time the night before, both men are in the conservitive party, but one is an IN campainer who is the prime minister, the other campaining for OUT, last night
Gove really shined, he was calm,confident, and explained everything so well and gave the facts!!!
Unlike the blundering
(IN) Cameron the night before,
Before Goves hour on TV last night in and outers were about even, now today its around 40% in and 60% of voters want OUT!!!
Old Jun 4th 2016, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Hello Cheers . . . I haven't heard about Devon or Cornwall receiving aid from the EU, but perhaps farmers do as a matter of course. Do you have a link to this?

I haven't asked anybody what they will vote in the referendum, but both sides say a lot. There is a very heated debate raging in British Expats, scroll down the menu to "To take it outside" where it gives a warning about entering!!

Last edited by aries; Jun 4th 2016 at 4:01 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aries
I haven't asked anybody what they will vote in the referendum, but both sides say a lot. There is a very heated debate raging in British Expats, scroll down the menu to "To take it outside" where it gives a warning about entering!!
I'm afraid to open that menu. I bet it is heated.
I was in the doctors yesterday and one of the doctors is from India but he graduated from Cambridge University in the UK. I brought the subject up to him and he was adamant for the UK to "stay" in Europe. But see he isn't from the UK and he doesn't have any vested interest in the UK. He is likable except for his attitude of "I say it, so it is"
I think that a lot of immigrants living in the UK have no loyalty to the UK and they are only there for a better life than what they left.
I will try and find that link on Cornwall.
See this-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-how-does-thi/

Last edited by cheers; Jun 8th 2016 at 1:39 pm. Reason: additional information.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 4:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You're not the only one who pauses before entering.

You should perhaps take a peak. I am sure Jersey Girl will be on hand if it curls your ears and toes.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:18 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the doctors yesterday and one of the doctors is from India but he graduated from Cambridge University in the UK. I brought the subject up to him and he was adamant for the UK to "stay" in Europe. But see he isn't from the UK and he doesn't have any vested interest in the UK. He is likable except for his attitude of "I say it, so it is"
I think that a lot of immigrants living in the UK have no loyalty to the UK and they are only there for a better life than what they left.
I will try and find that link on Cornwall.
See this-
Mapped: Where in the UK receives most EU funding and how does this compare with the rest of Europe?
Don't most people move to better themselves or their family somehow? I mean, even if you are just moving house, it is usually to move to a nicer one........
Old Jun 21st 2016, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Rod, whats with the English, have they given up on democracy?
The shooting dead of the MP a week ago and now the boy in Las Vegas wants to shoot Trump?
Its not on I'll tel ya.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wishing everyone living in the US a very HAPPY 4TH OF JULY ---- and everyone in the UK a VERY HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!

Nigel Farage accomplished his dream, he got us out of the EU, it would not have happened without him, he forced Cameron to make the commitment of holding a referendum before the last general election last year, and now its time for him to sit back and take a nice rest, like a lot of UK politicians he is a millionaire so he is not short of a few Bob, and he will still be an MEP in the EU for at least another 2 years getting his whopping salary from them plus all the perks and expenses, ---- have a nice beer Nigel
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Wishing everyone living in the US a very HAPPY 4TH OF JULY ---- and everyone in the UK a VERY HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!

Nigel Farage accomplished his dream, he got us out of the EU, it would not have happened without him, he forced Cameron to make the commitment of holding a referendum before the last general election last year, and now its time for him to sit back and take a nice rest, like a lot of UK politicians he is a millionaire so he is not short of a few Bob, and he will still be an MEP in the EU for at least another 2 years getting his whopping salary from them plus all the perks and expenses, ---- have a nice beer Nigel

Nigel Farage is a liar and a moron!! The UK doesn't need to celebrate it's Independence Day. It has always been an independent country! The Brexit vote was a huge mistake. The Brits (or perhaps I should say the English and the Welsh) just cut off their noses to spite their faces!! Or as the Americans say, they threw out the baby with the bath water!! It's not good!!!
Old Jul 4th 2016, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice to see some comments.
I use to like the summer season, not anymore. Me and heat don't get along.
There was something on Skynews about the election. They interviewed some people who voted out (Brexit). They were mostly people who had emigrated to Britain years ago and now they voted for Britain to leave. Their "beef" was that they didn't get any help and that the new wave of immigrants get a free ride whereas they had to work for what they got when they came to Britain.
That was interesting.
So as of today stocks are back up and currency has settled at $1.34?

We are leaving on Wednesday for the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming.

October we are off to Bermuda. I should be happy but unfortunately this heat takes its toll.

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Jul 4th 2016 at 7:37 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 8:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 5th 2016, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Been a lurker for a while, but due to the most recent UK news, here is a recap - tongue in cheek - for those across the pond: https://www.buzzfeed.com/lukebailey/...YKA#.fsz7X61E9
Rosie - still in Devon
Save
Old Jul 5th 2016, 7:03 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Been a lurker for a while, but due to the most recent UK news, here is a recap - tongue in cheek - for those across the pond: https://www.buzzfeed.com/lukebailey/...YKA#.fsz7X61E9
Rosie - still in Devon
Save
Great county... says he having lived here for just two months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.