British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

verystormy Apr 13th 2016 2:06 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

The weather depends a lot on where in the UK.

We moved to Windsor from Australia last month. I have to say, we have been very impressed with the weather. I have to record the weather as part of my job - legal requirement. In the month I have been here, we have had 3 rain days, a few days of patchy rain and the rest fine - blue sky and warm sunshine with crisp mornings, though the mornings are getting warmer now.

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 13th 2016 4:22 pm

Its nice to see you post...

Trotty does visit from time to time, The thread does seem to have slowed down considerably.

It sounds like you are making the best of your situation, three visits a year is very good and bearable...

I'm glad you love your life in the UK, it is a different world for sure...

We are still here with no UK in sight, I'm sure we will be here for at least another five years...

Take Care and thanks for letting us know how you are...

feelbritish Apr 13th 2016 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 11921908)

We moved to Windsor from Australia last month. I have to say, we have been very impressed with the weather. I have to record the weather as part of my job - legal requirement. In the month I have been here, we have had 3 rain days, a few days of patchy rain and the rest fine - blue sky and warm sunshine with crisp mornings, though the mornings are getting warmer now.

Well we are practically neighbours as we live in Marlow and the weather is changeable. It is all relative though, I classify grey skies as iffy! However the weather is not as bad as people make out and we returned from Vancouver Island, Canada so are probably more adept at handling the English weather than say someone from a sunnier part of the world.

jasper123 Apr 14th 2016 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 11918837)
Oh that's so great to hear you are happy in your return, feelbritish!

I agree, weather is usually more changeable in UK than here in USA...

I hope I won't miss the bluebells, I return near the end of April....there should be some left to see. One of the loveliest sights (and smells)!

we have a lot of bluebells in our garden now, in fact most all the other flowers are blooming now too, and the red robin bush at the end of garden is decades old and has grown to about 20 feet already, I suppose I will have to go out there soon and do a few days of weeding and landscaping to make the garden look nice again after the winter months. the weather in the last few days have been nice & sunny down here in the south, and its slowly getting warmer too,
16 celsius today ---- wow were having a heat wave :ohmy: ;)

between two worlds Apr 14th 2016 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11922929)
we have a lot of bluebells in our garden now, in fact most all the other flowers are blooming now too, and the red robin bush at the end of garden is decades old and has grown to about 20 feet already, I suppose I will have to go out there soon and do a few days of weeding and landscaping to make the garden look nice again after the winter months. the weather in the last few days have been nice & sunny down here in the south, and its slowly getting warmer too,
16 celsius today ---- wow were having a heat wave :ohmy: ;)

Sounds like lovely weather at the moment jasper! Thanks for this update. I do hope the bluebells last a bit...

Great to hear from "very stormy", amazing that even someone whose job is to record weather, and who is therefore telling us what it was really like, has recorded that much sunshine! It is definitely a bit damper in the west of the UK....

Great to hear from lestergirl too, I remember your dilemma and it resonates so much with me as I have grown children too....SO glad you are happy in UK and managing to get back and see the kids regularly.

Good to see Fish n Chips posting, sorry you can't see getting back to the UK for another five years....I know you really have wanted to go for so long.

cheers Apr 15th 2016 8:02 pm

I've just seen an episode of Escape to the Country, Shropshire and I loved it.

Who wrote "No one knows England within unless they know England without"?

Back to Escapes.......episodes.

Cheers

aries Apr 15th 2016 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 11921908)

I think we have much more rain in South Devon, the weather has quite depressed me since I came back from Adelaide in late 2011. If Scotty could beam me back, I would be gone in a flash!

verystormy Apr 16th 2016 5:40 am

Originally Posted by aries (Post 11924232)
I think we have much more rain in South Devon, the weather has quite depressed me since I came back from Adelaide in late 2011. If Scotty could beam me back, I would be gone in a flash!

The penalty for being near the coast and Atlantic.

We had constant rain yesterday, but it is lovely today. Personally, I wouldn't mind rain in your part of the world as rain is perfect hiking weather.

Englishmum Apr 17th 2016 6:09 pm

Well....over here in Switzerland (I'm in the German speaking part between Zurich and Lucerne) we have had days and days of grey skies and intermittent rain or drizzle.

Today it has rained throughout the whole country all day long, just persistent heavy rain. I was getting 'cabin fever' and just wanted to go out for a drive today. In Switzerland everything is closed on Sundays, with the exception of some very touristy places where a few shops may be open. Most Swiss people just head for the great outdoors on Sundays and go hiking or do outdoor sports.

We decided to go to Interlaken just to get out of the apartment for a few hours...it has rained constantly. My husband tried to persuade me to take a walk up one of the mountain paths but I was having none of it! There is no visibility on days where it is non stop rain.

We ended up in an Indian restaurant for a late lunch; many Indians and people from the Middle East and Asia come over on their honeymoons and on organised tours and Interlaken is one of the main tourist stopovers....there are quite a number of Chinese, Indian and Korean restaurants. We took a short cut through the "Victorian Hotel"

https://www.victoria-jungfrau.ch/en/home-en

and saw people having afternoon tea...I would have loved to have afternoon tea there myself today, but we looked like drowned rats :ohmy: and were too scruffy looking in our jeans so perhaps will go another day..

Mummy in the foothills Apr 19th 2016 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 11925310)
Well....over here in Switzerland (I'm in the German speaking part between Zurich and Lucerne) we have had days and days of grey skies and intermittent rain or drizzle.

Today it has rained throughout the whole country all day long, just persistent heavy rain. I was getting 'cabin fever' and just wanted to go out for a drive today. In Switzerland everything is closed on Sundays, with the exception of some very touristy places where a few shops may be open. Most Swiss people just head for the great outdoors on Sundays and go hiking or do outdoor sports.

We decided to go to Interlaken just to get out of the apartment for a few hours...it has rained constantly. My husband tried to persuade me to take a walk up one of the mountain paths but I was having none of it! There is no visibility on days where it is non stop rain.

We ended up in an Indian restaurant for a late lunch; many Indians and people from the Middle East and Asia come over on their honeymoons and on organised tours and Interlaken is one of the main tourist stopovers....there are quite a number of Chinese, Indian and Korean restaurants. We took a short cut through the "Victorian Hotel"

and saw people having afternoon tea...I would have loved to have afternoon tea there myself today, but we looked like drowned rats :ohmy: and were too scruffy looking in our jeans so perhaps will go another day..

It looks lovely, I'd want to go back for afternoon tea when looking presentable too.

jasper123 Apr 21st 2016 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 11925310)

Nice post englishmum, see you can still go out and have fun even though its raining cats & dogs,
Over here in UK for the last couple of days the papers and TV have given a lot of coverage to the death of Victoria Woods, died of cancer way too young at 61 yesterday, when I heard the name I had no idea who she was, apparently this woman was quite famous in the UK from the 1980's, it made me think that as I was gone from UK for so long since the 1970's I have lost a whole generation or more of British TV entertainment,
I've been back almost 5 & half years now and the new faces (to me) on TV I have got to know gradually over the years, so now most celebs hear are now familiar to me.

cheers Apr 21st 2016 6:29 pm

Rodney I think we have been out of the loop with our family on here.
I was up at about 2 am and I saw a lot of postings by our family on other forums.
It was nice to see the postings.
The forums were about how they had or hadn't adjusted after being back for some time.
Windsong was one of them. Feelbritish was another and Airies. Can't remember the others. It was like a reunion of sorts.
Let me know if you need more information.

Cheers (80 degrees here today)

cheers Apr 21st 2016 6:34 pm

Rodney Was it Lestergirl who came back and worked in Manchester for an American connected company and then moved down to the London area to work in a retirement home I think and then left us?

curleytops Apr 21st 2016 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11928834)
Rodney Was it Lestergirl who came back and worked in Manchester for an American connected company and then moved down to the London area to work in a retirement home I think and then left us?

No Cheers, it was Bee. I think she's somewhere around Morecambe Bay now.

Perth Apr 21st 2016 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11928829)
Rodney I think we have been out of the loop with our family on here.
I was up at about 2 am and I saw a lot of postings by our family on other forums.
It was nice to see the postings.
The forums were about how they had or hadn't adjusted after being back for some time.
Windsong was one of them. Feelbritish was another and Airies. Can't remember the others. It was like a reunion of sorts.
Let me know if you need more information.

Cheers (80 degrees here today)

Care to share that info? It's been a bit quiet around here lately.