British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

fish.01 Mar 11th 2016 10:26 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by aries (Post 11875775)
As for the EU, many European politicians are nasty about the UK having an exit referendum, and say we would not be able to manage without them.

I'm inclined to believe they might be worried about losing our money!

Sounds a bit like what was said before the Scottish vote.

jasper123 Mar 14th 2016 11:17 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11873720)
So the referendum is in June.
Will the US decide if the UK can leave the EU?
(troublemaker here)
Cheers

Hi cheers,
just heard that Obama is coming to the U.K. sometime in the next two months ------ jetting in on Air Force One to try and talk all the British people into voting to stay in Europe ---- and of course Cameron is very pleased about that!!! but Boris is as mad as can be, he is fuming!!! and today has told Obama very plainly to mind his own business,
My belief is that the main reason that the U.S. wants desperately for the U.K. to remain in Europe is that they have always regarded Britain as there little lap dog in Europe!!!!

Jerseygirl Mar 14th 2016 11:21 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11894758)
Hi cheers,
just heard that Obama is coming to the U.K. sometime in the next two months ------ jetting in on Air Force One to try and talk all the British people into voting to stay in Europe ---- and of course Cameron is very pleased about that!!! but Boris is as mad as can be, he is fuming!!! and today has told Obama very plainly to mind his own business,
My belief is that the main reason that the U.S. wants desperately for the U.K. to remain in Europe is that they have always regarded Britain as there little lap dog in Europe!!!!

Good for Boris.:thumbsup:

curleytops Mar 14th 2016 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11894765)
Good for Boris.:thumbsup:

+1
Somehow I doubt that the US would take too kindly to Canada or Mexico wanting to call the shots as part of their their agreement so I think it's a bit rich of him to be telling us what to do.

cheers Mar 17th 2016 3:40 am

Thank you for your post Rodney!

I have some thoughts not related to anything written on here.

My son has British citizenship through me and he applied for a British passport and he read that in order to get it he had to denounce his American citizenship. No way would he give up his US citizenship.
I think he missread something. What do you think? He said it was a waste of $190 that the application cost him.

I was hoping to come to the UK next month for two weeks but when I considered the cost when I got there for accommodation ect. I decided against it. What do you lot think?

We will be going on a cruise in October to Bermuda for our 50th so that will have to do.

Cheers

Jerseygirl Mar 17th 2016 9:23 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11897814)

My son has British citizenship through me and he applied for a British passport and he read that in order to get it he had to denounce his American citizenship. No way would he give up his US citizenship.
I think he missread something. What do you think? He said it was a waste of $190 that the application cost him.

I was hoping to come to the UK next month for two weeks but when I considered the cost when I got there for accommodation ect. I decided against it. What do you lot think?

We will be going on a cruise in October to Bermuda for our 50th so that will have to do.

Cheers

He is a US and British citizen...there is nothing to give up. I have both passports. ;)

Enjoy Bermuda...it's lovely.

Novocastrian Mar 17th 2016 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11897964)
He is a US and British citizen...there is nothing to give up. I have both passports. ;)

Enjoy Bermuda...it's lovely.

...and my elder son has three; UK, Canadian and US, the passports obtained in that order while the citizenships were US & UK at birth, Canadian somewhat later.

Jerseygirl Mar 17th 2016 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11898351)
...and my elder son has three; UK, Canadian and US, the passports obtained in that order but all three citizenships simultaneously.

My granddaughter has the same. We call her an ABC baby...American, British and Canadian. ;)

Novocastrian Mar 17th 2016 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11898353)
My granddaughter has the same. We call her an ABC baby...American, British and Canadian. ;)

Isn't she still a bit young to be learning the alphabet?

Jerseygirl Mar 17th 2016 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11898356)
Isn't she still a bit young to be learning the alphabet?

:D

Pollyana Mar 17th 2016 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11897814)

Cheers

Wherever your son read it eithher it was a site with wrong information or he misread something.
Why was it a waste of $190? If he had paid the money and sent the required documents they would have sent him a passport. :confused:Didn't we discuss this on here a while back?

jasper123 Mar 18th 2016 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11898816)
Wherever your son read it eithher it was a site with wrong information or he misread something.
Why was it a waste of $190? If he had paid the money and sent the required documents they would have sent him a passport. :confused:Didn't we discuss this on here a while back?

Yes pollyana I remember discussing this exact same thing with cheers quite sometime ago, its like deja vu :confused:

cheers Mar 24th 2016 3:51 am

:confused_smile::confused_smile:

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11899462)
Yes pollyana I remember discussing this exact same thing with cheers quite sometime ago, its like deja vu :confused:

Sorry about that :o

Cheers

bandrui Mar 25th 2016 7:42 am

The UK Government just sent me an email with the response posted to the petition to allow overseas UK citizens to vote, scrapping the 15 year time limit. I am pleased to see that they are "committed to scrapping the time limit on voting from overseas". Please sign the petition, if you haven't already. Every signature helps.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...l_response=yes

Lion in Winter Mar 25th 2016 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11898351)
...and my elder son has three; UK, Canadian and US, the passports obtained in that order while the citizenships were US & UK at birth, Canadian somewhat later.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11898353)

The Little Lion is British, US, and Mexican.