Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 9th 2016, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
How bad can it get in the UK?
They don't have any biscuits on the shelves at the shops.

Cheers
Thats what we keep hearing, cornish wafers were one item mentioned to be in short supply (due to the co. that makes them being located in Carlisle and they're still on clean-up/dry-out duty up there) but I've not had any bother getting them or any Jacob's McVittie's etc.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 2:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Thats what we keep hearing, cornish wafers were one item mentioned to be in short supply (due to the co. that makes them being located in Carlisle and they're still on clean-up/dry-out duty up there) but I've not had any bother getting them or any Jacob's McVitie's etc.
Your McVitie's are likely coming from Manchester, Liverpool, Ashby-de-la-Zouch in Leicestershire, or Harlesden, London.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 9th 2016 at 2:46 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Biscuits did anyone notice that the tins of Cadburys we get over Christmas dropped in size from 17.6 oz to 11.8 oz, I opened the tin and there was more plastic filler than a little, of course the price at Wal-mart and World Market stayed the same, I wont be buying any more, they seem too expensive for what they are.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Speaking of Biscuits did anyone notice that the tins of Cadburys we get over Christmas dropped in size from 17.6 oz to 11.8 oz, I opened the tin and there was more plastic filler than a little, of course the price at Wal-mart and World Market stayed the same, I wont be buying any more, they seem too expensive for what they are.
It's an industry-wide problem. In order to not raise prices, they reduce actual food contents and keep the price where it's at
Old Feb 10th 2016, 12:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
It's an industry-wide problem. In order to not raise prices, they reduce actual food contents and keep the price where it's at. ....
It's the same as when they reduced the size of Mars bars a few years ago, and simultaneously changed the wrapper, so instead of being wrapped like a block of butter it had a wrapper with serrated "ears" at either end, so remarkably the end-to-end measurement of the new smaller bars in their wrappers was the same as the old bars.

Stephen J Gould wrote an off-topic article, back in the 80's I think, about the size and price of Hershey's bars. The bars had a peculiar cycle of getting progressively smaller while the price remained the same, then jumping up in size when the price increased, before declining in size again. Plotting the size against price, the graph was a series of reverse J-shaped curves, however Goulding noted that each time the size jumped up, it jumped up to a size smaller than the previous time it jumped up. ..... He concluded that you could extrapolate the graph to determine what the price of a Hershey's bar would be when the size reached zero!

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 10th 2016 at 12:08 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
It's an industry-wide problem. In order to not raise prices, they reduce actual food contents and keep the price where it's at
I know the manufactures do this all the time, but to remove a third is way over the top.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's the same as when they reduced the size of Mars bars a few years ago, and simultaneously changed the wrapper, so instead of being wrapped like a block of butter it had a wrapper with serrated "ears" at either end, so remarkably the end-to-end measurement of the new smaller bars in their wrappers was the same as the old bars.

Stephen J Gould wrote an off-topic article, back in the 80's I think, about the size and price of Hershey's bars. The bars had a peculiar cycle of getting progressively smaller while the price remained the same, then jumping up in size when the price increased, before declining in size again. Plotting the size against price, the graph was a series of reverse J-shaped curves, however Goulding noted that each time the size jumped up, it jumped up to a size smaller than the previous time it jumped up. ..... He concluded that you could extrapolate the graph to determine what the price of a Hershey's bar would be when the size reached zero!
I totally understand thanks for that...

The piece about the Hershey bar is a good one too. Thanks.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

The Cadbury's creme eggs look more like robin's eggs these days. I had a Crunchy bar the other day and the chocolate was so thin you could see the centre shining through it. I'll not be buying either again.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Are Christmas Cadbury biscuits were so bad we had to throw most of they away. They upset our stomachs. They were discoloured. .........and the tin box was mostly packing material with very few chocolate biscuits.
We have a plentiful supply, in the shops, of Cadbury Chocolate fingers ($2)
Cheers
Old Feb 11th 2016, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hope you are well - and Phyllis too - do give her my best regards! - STOP boasting - I am now 85 and feel frisky and 55. just updated the organ, for another Lowrey - this time a Prestige - Adorable! Playing better than ever, after loads of practice.. Went back to Thailand last year , but still thinking about returning there. Maybe.... My daughter is now widowed, Julian Passed away in April. - But although she comes to see me , we are not real close. Never Mind. Take Care Rodney. Love to you both. Don & Tim.
Hi Don, we are both fine, Mum's 97 in June, she now has pulmonary hypertension and also COPD (she has never smoked in her life!!!!) and has just been prescribed her first inhaler!!!
but she's not doing bad for her age though,

Sorry to hear about Julian,

I bet you sound great on your new organ ---- good for you, love to both you and Tippawan from both of us.
Rod and Phyllis.

Last edited by jasper123; Feb 11th 2016 at 11:08 am.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Our Christmas Cadbury biscuits were so bad we had to throw most of them away. They upset our stomachs. The chocolate coating was discolored. .........and the tin box was mostly packing material with very few chocolate biscuits.
We have a plentiful supply, in the shops, of Cadbury Chocolate fingers ($2)
Cheers
This is one way to correct errors that bothered me when I read just now.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Don, we are both fine, Mum's 97 in June, she now has pulmonary hypertension and also COPD (she has never smoked in her life!!!!) and has just been prescribed her first inhaler!!!
but she's not doing bad for her age though,

Sorry to hear about Julian,

I bet you sound great on your new organ ---- good for you, love to both you and Tippawan from both of us.
Rod and Phyllis.
Thanks Rod, Sad to see that age is getting at mom, but give her my love.
Daughter has been up to Scunthorpe (solo) trying to sort out a care home for her Mother, - and has done the best she can, but was very distressed by the time she had coped with the traffic from the north. Now the good news, Tim's Eldest daughter is visiting us while in the UK London University - where she is lecturing for three days -but only coming here for a couple of hours, tomorrow, from about noon till three. Never mind - be lovely to see her. Take Care. Don & Tip.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

So the referendum is in June.
Will the US decide if the UK can leave the EU?
(troublemaker here)
Cheers
Old Feb 20th 2016, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

I read it was supposed to be warm there today?
Old Feb 20th 2016, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

So the referendum is in June.
Will the US decide if the UK can leave the EU?
(troublemaker here)
Cheers
We should never have been part of Europe. They hate us - and have little time for us. If someone can tell me what they Buy from us - because I don't know. We should have stuck with the Commonwealth. Oh! Rant over - How are you Cheers? - I am as young as ever! take care, Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.