Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 3rd 2015, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123
Welcome home FB yes as scouse said you have been through a lot, and the move must have been very stressful, but now you have made it, and I wish you well, as you say the streets here are small, cars parked each side, leaving barely enough room each side for a small car to drive down the middle ---- trying not to hit a parked car and hoping too that you don't get another car coming the other way OMG if you do then you have to hope that there is a small opening on one side to squeeze in to let the other car go by --- if not one of you have to back up all the way to the end of street where you just came from I have seen this happen, its quite funny,
the funnyiest thing though is watching the cars go round the rounderbouts, some know the rules and some don't, its a good laugh just watching.
One of many reasons we don't want a car. Having to be sure to locate somewhere with excellent transportation is quite stressful though.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Quick update! Breezed through Customs, yesterday went to house and town where we are settling and got a huge shock in that the house looks much smaller than we remembered and forgot we had so much furniture and rubbish in the tiniest garage in the world! Luckily painter is there as he is painting the whole inside of house tnis weekend and now will also arange for everything to be taken out of garage, not even opening boxes or seeing what is there, as our friends have said who were with us, if you have not missed anything or seenit for 14 years you dont need it! 140 pounds to take it all away and sweep out garage of dust and cobwebs. Today went to shops near our friends and loved the friendly people and being back in Britain. Got a small car yesterday, Hyundi 011 in silver with only 7000 on clock, not even year old and drove it for first time and loved it especially as the roads in our town are full ofcars parked both sides and busy. Bit of a reverse culture shock and we were a bit unsure yesterday but today feeling better after our good sleep. Will give more update later when settled into house.
YAY!!! Looking forward to more updates as you settle in. Can't believe you made it before we did! A year ago you were sure you would not. So happy for you
Old Oct 4th 2015, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Thank you so much Fulwood:-) I would estimate 80% of homes wouldn't consider dogs. My agent said small children cause a lot damage than two 4.5lbs dogs. I'm already looking back and I haven't gone yet���������������� ���������
I agree with your agent the worst tenant we had in twenty plus years was a woman with two small children who did more damage than the rest put together.She left owing half a months rent, we were told it was more trouble than it was worth pursuing in.In our area (Bucks) the rental market is very buoyant so the agencies have no trouble finding tenants.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers the car is a Hyundi C10, only 1000cc with 3 cylinders. Spent weekend away on otherside of London in Essex with family and our little car was fine. I drove back along M11 and M25 and it was just fine, we have slotted into the driving quite easily. Lovely time with family and nice to say see you soon! Next week it is the furniture arriving and then will not have internet vor a while so will update later as soon as we have it. So far so good!
Old Oct 5th 2015, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Cheers, are they expensive or cheap?
They are inexpensive compared to the south of the island.
My overall impression is that the Scots really keep up their homes. Glasgow maybe the exeption. Maybe I wouldn't fit in.
Cheers
Old Oct 5th 2015, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So we are going to the Mediterranean in a few weeks. Spain, Italy, France.
We will only be gone for about 10 days. We should see all the rich Brits over there.
It use to be the rich Yanks but things have changed during the last 50 years and now its the rich Brits. I cant get use to their expensive life style.
I know there are must be many who have an ordinary simple life but I constantly read about those who live high in the UK by my standards. (grammar?)

I see you are finally getting some rain. Wish I was there!

Cheers
Old Oct 5th 2015, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Cheers the car is a Hyundi C10, only 1000cc with 3 cylinders. Spent weekend away on otherside of London in Essex with family and our little car was fine. I drove back along M11 and M25 and it was just fine, we have slotted into the driving quite easily. Lovely time with family and nice to say see you soon! Next week it is the furniture arriving and then will not have internet vor a while so will update later as soon as we have it. So far so good!
I see Hyundai i10's for sale but no C10's? Hyundai are good cars.

Cheers
Old Oct 5th 2015, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
One of many reasons we don't want a car. Having to be sure to locate somewhere with excellent transportation is quite stressful though.
Perth, ---- Portsmouth where I live --- and my home town where I was born and raised ---- has a fantastic public transport service, buses run from and to just about everywhere every 10 or 15 minutes, and guess what they are just about always on time, its a city by the sea with a population of just over 200,000 people, its renowned as the most densely populated city in the whole of the U.K. but when you live here it just does not seem or feel that way at all,
I don't drive here, I wouldn't like to either, the british roads I think would be very hard to get used to, especially if you came from America or Canada or Oz
Old Oct 6th 2015, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

No one has mentioned the British connection in the Roseburg, Oregon shooting.
The shooter was British.
One of the victims was British.
Sad really.

Cheers
Old Oct 7th 2015, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
I agree, I did mention this in a previous post.Our village is 4 miles from Aylesbury but sometimes it might as well be 40.The bus service seems based on transporting children to and from school.Weekends and evenings is very patchy.As other members have pointed out there home grocery delivery service offered by the supermarkets and there is a bus to Tescos but this in my opinion is no substitute for the lack of good public transport.There is the option of taxis of course.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
I agree, I did mention this in a previous post.Our village is 4 miles from Aylesbury but sometimes it might as well be 40.The bus service seems based on transporting children to and from school.Weekends and evenings is very patchy.As other members have pointed out there home grocery delivery service offered by the supermarkets and there is a bus to Tescos but this in my opinion is no substitute for the lack of good public transport.There is the option of taxis of course.
I know exactly what you mean, however, when you're dealing with bus service like that the taxis know it too and know what to charge. It works out cheaper if there's two or more of you but for one person cabbing can be costly too.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from 2 weeks in the UK, Fab trip, only one day of rain, spent 3 days in the Lake district, enjoyed it once again.

To truly appreciate the Lake District check out this web site, originally posted years ago by Cheers, Thanks mate.

Look at those wonderful pics of the water at Ambleside...

This week on Lakeland Cam
Old Oct 8th 2015, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Just got back from 2 weeks in the UK, Fab trip, only one day of rain, spent 3 days in the Lake district, enjoyed it once again.

To truly appreciate the Lake District check out this web site, originally posted years ago by Cheers, Thanks mate.

Look at those wonderful pics of the water at Ambleside...

This week on Lakeland Cam
Thanks for posting those old pics from cheers, truly beautiful place the lake district, but does it ever stop raining?
Old Oct 8th 2015, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting those old pics from cheers, truly beautiful place the lake district, but does it ever stop raining?
Rod, Those pics were taken in the last week, they are constantly updated.

We had two weeks in the UK and it only rained on Monday the day before we left, I hardly wore my fleece, you cant beat that in Sept/Oct.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Oct 8th 2015 at 2:23 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not Rod, the weather in these parts has been pretty good of late. Fish if I'd known you were coming I'd have put the kettle on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.