Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 29th 2015, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Hello Everyone.... so nice to see so many of the oldies back. You all seem to be doing well. My news is we are still in the US my operation was two years ago and I am doing well. I just wish we had lowered the price on the house and not tried to get the most for it...but no good looking back... I still have some boxes that have the 'Home to England' written on them...we had a great deal of damage last year due to the snow so I had to re-box everything and have not had the heart to unpack them. I still have some painting to do. Sadly my husband was finally diagnosed with Dementia which is getting much worse, his walking is very bad, they are going to put a shunt in his brain in a few weeks to see if it will help. But my husband has gone this is just a different person. I manage well and I even started to drive again out of necessity I am still a little nervous but getting better all the time... It is good to hear from Celtic Spirit and know she is going back home and the rest. All I can say is if you are going home dont hang about do it..... So nice to read all your posts........
Sorry to hear about your hubby Trotty, I hope the surgery will help. Think of you often.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

So very sorry to hear about your husband, trotty. I often think of you and your situation as we remain stuck in delay mode. You are quite right, of course- don't dally unless it's completely unavoidable. We hope to be there this time next year after four years of planning. Wishing you both the very best.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Curleytops and Perth.....I think it makes your realize that you have to make the most of life and stop being afraid, I was like that for years afraid to make the move and wondering how my children would react, well they do fine we are just a couple of hours away from my boys and you would think there was an ocean between us. They are always so busy, I think we discussed this years ago about leaving family behind.My Grandchildren are getting to the age were they are just so busy with their lives.
My daughter lives not far from us and is a great help but she wants to move to Maine when her boyfriend retires and I do not want to go so who knows what will happen....I can see me being a 6 months in the US and 6 months in the UK person..depends how my husband does.
How are you feeling Curlytops...
Old Sep 30th 2015, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Thank you Curleytops and Perth.....I think it makes your realize that you have to make the most of life and stop being afraid, I was like that for years afraid to make the move and wondering how my children would react, well they do fine we are just a couple of hours away from my boys and you would think there was an ocean between us. They are always so busy, I think we discussed this years ago about leaving family behind.My Grandchildren are getting to the age were they are just so busy with their lives. My daughter lives not far from us and is a great help but she wants to move to Maine when her boyfriend retires and I do not want to go so who knows what will happen....I can see me being a 6 months in the US and 6 months in the UK person..depends how my husband does. How are you feeling Curlytops...
I am feeling so much better thanks Trotty. I'm much more mobile now, getting out and about and that has helped me lose a good bit weight. It's really a bit of novelty just doing simple everyday things that were nearly impossible for me before. I've taken a great interest in cooking more, experimenting with new recipes etc. I even get excited about hanging my washing out on the line (how sad is that lol). The other morning I took the bus downtown and it was one of those lovely autumn mornings. This town might be a dump but I'll say this, they have a pretty decent high street; it was buzzing before 10am and I really enjoyed it. My walks have been getting longer and I've met a few doggie friends and their people on my travels.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Trottytrue,I'm so sorry about your husband's illness. I hope the shunt will help, dementia is such a cruel condition.I hope that things will work out so that you can enjoy some time in the UK, you have tried so hard to return and had so many difficult challenges that have been road blocks for you. Wishing you all the best.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 3:07 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Trotty so sorry to hear about your husband, I am sending you a big hug.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 3:08 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
I am feeling so much better thanks Trotty. I'm much more mobile now, getting out and about and that has helped me lose a good bit weight. It's really a bit of novelty just doing simple everyday things that were nearly impossible for me before. I've taken a great interest in cooking more, experimenting with new recipes etc. I even get excited about hanging my washing out on the line (how sad is that lol). The other morning I took the bus downtown and it was one of those lovely autumn mornings. This town might be a dump but I'll say this, they have a pretty decent high street; it was buzzing before 10am and I really enjoyed it. My walks have been getting longer and I've met a few doggie friends and their people on my travels.
Put me in the 'sad' category too. I love being able to hang my washing out. LOL!!
Old Sep 30th 2015, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Put me in the 'sad' category too. I love being able to hang my washing out. LOL!!
Looking forward to it myself
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Quick update! Breezed through Customs, yesterday went to house and town where we are settling and got a huge shock in that the house looks much smaller than we remembered and forgot we had so much furniture and rubbish in the tiniest garage in the world! Luckily painter is there as he is painting the whole inside of house tnis weekend and now will also arange for everything to be taken out of garage, not even opening boxes or seeing what is there, as our friends have said who were with us, if you have not missed anything or seenit for 14 years you dont need it! 140 pounds to take it all away and sweep out garage of dust and cobwebs. Today went to shops near our friends and loved the friendly people and being back in Britain. Got a small car yesterday, Hyundi 011 in silver with only 7000 on clock, not even year old and drove it for first time and loved it especially as the roads in our town are full ofcars parked both sides and busy. Bit of a reverse culture shock and we were a bit unsure yesterday but today feeling better after our good sleep. Will give more update later when settled into house.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been off the computer for a while, but recently took these photos of my little section of Devon, where vandals decided to up our crime stats by a case of arson:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...57658957276769
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Quick update! Breezed through Customs, yesterday went to house and town where we are settling and got a huge shock in that the house looks much smaller than we remembered and forgot we had so much furniture and rubbish in the tiniest garage in the world! Luckily painter is there as he is painting the whole inside of house tnis weekend and now will also arange for everything to be taken out of garage, not even opening boxes or seeing what is there, as our friends have said who were with us, if you have not missed anything or seenit for 14 years you dont need it! 140 pounds to take it all away and sweep out garage of dust and cobwebs. Today went to shops near our friends and loved the friendly people and being back in Britain. Got a small car yesterday, Hyundi 011 in silver with only 7000 on clock, not even year old and drove it for first time and loved it especially as the roads in our town are full ofcars parked both sides and busy. Bit of a reverse culture shock and we were a bit unsure yesterday but today feeling better after our good sleep. Will give more update later when settled into house.
A Big Welcome Home!
Down sizing is a good thing!
We look forward to your future postings and about your experiences.
Now to look on Google as to what your new car looks likE.
I couldn't find a 011 model. Could it have another model number?

Cheers
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
A Big Welcome Home!
Down sizing is a good thing!
We look forward to your future postings and about your experiences.
Now to look on Google as to what your new car looks likE.
I couldn't find a 011 model. Could it have another model number?

Cheers
Will look dont think they are available in USA
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 10:01 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome home!
I don't know if I would be so brave not to look through the boxes but, as you say, if you haven't missed it in 14 years, then you don't need it.

Downsizing is indeed good. I don't miss my 4,500 sq ft Canadian house at all, and I am totally loving my nice cozy home.

We are also just getting our house painted this weekend, but with all our furniture in it already. Quite stressed! lol

Keep on updating!
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 11:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome home FB You went through some ups and downs along the way, but you've done it! Wishing you every happiness xx
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Will look dont think they are available in USA
Welcome home FB yes as scouse said you have been through a lot, and the move must have been very stressful, but now you have made it, and I wish you well, as you say the streets here are small, cars parked each side, leaving barely enough room each side for a small car to drive down the middle ---- trying not to hit a parked car and hoping too that you don't get another car coming the other way OMG if you do then you have to hope that there is a small opening on one side to squeeze in to let the other car go by --- if not one of you have to back up all the way to the end of street where you just came from I have seen this happen, its quite funny,
the funnyiest thing though is watching the cars go round the rounderbouts, some know the rules and some don't, its a good laugh just watching.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.