Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 17th 2015, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Thank you so much Fulwood:-) I would estimate 80% of homes wouldn't consider dogs. My agent said small children cause a lot damage than two 4.5lbs dogs. I'm already looking back and I haven't gone yet� ����� ����� ����� ����
Old Sep 18th 2015, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Hopefully so third time. The 20' container left today for the open seas. My little dogs leave on Sunday and I leave Wednesday, 23rd 2015. It is very coincidental that we first arrived in Dallas on September 23, 1972.
I have leased a two story updated semi for two years. Paid six months in advance. With my daughter and son in law having moved to Stratford Upon Avon three months ago....that is a huge comfort for me. 45 minute flight from Belfast to Birmingham just 45 mins and a 45 min train ride to their home. As yet they are able to walk to work for RSC and have no need for a car. Pom now 71, and after my almost fateful accident there, I have some trepidation.
Haven't been on here for ages - just saw your post. All the very best to you! Flights from N Ireland to the UK mainland are fairly cheap so you will be able to visit your daughter & son-in-law fairly often. I know that it's hard not to "look back" but try to think of this as a new chapter opening up in your life. The area of Belfast where you are renting is very nice - near Queens Univ and the Botanic Garden. I was there in the Spring. I'd move back to NI tomorrow but my 2 adult children and 3 (soon to be 4) grand-children keep me here! All the best - keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much Derrygal. I also know the area well. I am a graduate from Queens University many years ago. If I had grandchildren, I would never move away from them. Sadly my daughter has been through the whole works including IVF to no avail. She got pregnant on her honeymoon with identical twin boys but lost them at 14 weeks (I'm an identical twin).
The stress of moving has almost done me in. I'm almost to the point of "what's wrong with Dallas???" I really do have a nice life here. I've signed up for a two year lease and paid six months up front. I'll give it an honest try. The house is totally updated. Yes, life can be one big adventure. My dogs leave Sunday and I leave Wednesday. I'm flying into Dublin via Chicago. Going through customs in Lhr is a nightmare. Better the suitcases go all the way to Dublin before passport control and customs. Luckily I have enough points to go First Class to Chicago and Business to Dublin. $80 total:-) however the cost of two 4.5lbs dogs makes up for my cheap fare. If you come back for a visit, I would love you to stay. I have three bedrooms, although one for sure will be a closet� ����
Old Sep 18th 2015, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

£850 per month which is $500 cheaper per month than my one bedroom here. Lucky you who had mom to move in with. Lucky mom to have her son home to watch over her too xxx
Old Sep 18th 2015, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

BTW UNFURNISHED � ����
Old Sep 18th 2015, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much Derrygal. I also know the area well. I am a graduate from Queens University many years ago. If I had grandchildren, I would never move away from them. Sadly my daughter has been through the whole works including IVF to no avail. She got pregnant on her honeymoon with identical twin boys but lost them at 14 weeks (I'm an identical twin).
The stress of moving has almost done me in. I'm almost to the point of "what's wrong with Dallas???" I really do have a nice life here. I've signed up for a two year lease and paid six months up front. I'll give it an honest try. The house is totally updated. Yes, life can be one big adventure. My dogs leave Sunday and I leave Wednesday. I'm flying into Dublin via Chicago. Going through customs in Lhr is a nightmare. Better the suitcases go all the way to Dublin before passport control and customs. Luckily I have enough points to go First Class to Chicago and Business to Dublin. $80 total:-) however the cost of two 4.5lbs dogs makes up for my cheap fare. If you come back for a visit, I would love you to stay. I have three bedrooms, although one for sure will be a closet������
So sorry about your daughter losing her babies. That is so sad - must have been very distressing for her (and you also). Next time I am back in NI, if you're still there will definitely look you up. Unfortunately that probably won't be happening for another couple of years. I usually only manage to get back every 3rd year (too expensive and I always seem to be kept so busy here). Take care and have a good flight.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you FeelBritish. Happy landings to you. How long did it take for your container to arrive? I think it takes a little longer to Northern Ireland.
Because I was on West Coast and not in hurry I requested the cheapest and longest route which was through the Panama canal. It left on 17th July and got to Oxfordshire on 7th September. So approx 6 weeks. If I wanted it quicker I had the option of cross country to Montreal then straight across Atlantic. Should be no difference between Southampton and Belfast.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Really enjoying Doc Martin, last night was the #3 episode of 8 total new episodes, I wish ITV would make more, it must be very popular with everyone,
but they only seem to make this many every two years
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Really enjoying Doc Martin, last night was the #3 episode of 8 total new episodes, I wish ITV would make more, it must be very popular with everyone,
but they only seem to make this many every two years
I was able to review all of Doc Martins episodes a week ago. I think he does have a problem with attitudes but i still like him.
I don't know when the new series will hit the US. I wonder it they will change his attitude?

Cheers
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Do you hear anything of Don these days?
Old Sep 25th 2015, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I was able to review all of Doc Martins episodes a week ago. I think he does have a problem with attitudes but i still like him.
I don't know when the new series will hit the US. I wonder it they will change his attitude?

Cheers
Cheers ---- his attitude is the main thing!!!! thats the Doc Martin character, without the attitude it wouldn't be the Doc at all.
Oh Don and Tippawan are fine I think, the last time I had an email from him was about a month ago!!!
Old Sep 26th 2015, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

The stress of moving has almost done me in. I'm almost to the point of "what's wrong with Dallas???" I really do have a nice life here. I've signed up for a two year lease and paid six months up front. I'll give it an honest try. The house is totally updated. Yes, life can be one big adventure. My dogs leave Sunday and I leave Wednesday. I'm flying into Dublin via Chicago. Going through customs in Lhr is a nightmare. Better the suitcases go all the way to Dublin before passport control and customs. Luckily I have enough points to go First Class to Chicago and Business to Dublin. $80 total:-) however the cost of two 4.5lbs dogs makes up for my cheap fare. If you come back for a visit, I would love you to stay. I have three bedrooms, although one for sure will be a closet������
CelticSpirit - I am in the UK and not Ireland but my landlord had no issues with allowing me to have my two little dogs here. Also the management company allows residents two dogs no matter the size. In fact, there is a St. Bernard just down the hall from me and a lab next door to him and also two little dachshunds a bit further down
Old Sep 28th 2015, 3:16 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
CelticSpirit - I am in the UK and not Ireland but my landlord had no issues with allowing me to have my two little dogs here. Also the management company allows residents two dogs no matter the size. In fact, there is a St. Bernard just down the hall from me and a lab next door to him and also two little dachshunds a bit further down
Not the case everywhere though, where we live there is a blanket 'no pets' rule, and that means any sort of pet.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone.... so nice to see so many of the oldies back. You all seem to be doing well.

My news is we are still in the US my operation was two years ago and I am doing well. I just wish we had lowered the price on the house and not tried to get the most for it...but no good looking back...
I still have some boxes that have the 'Home to England' written on them...we had a great deal of damage last year due to the snow so I had to re-box everything and have not had the heart to unpack them. I still have some painting to do.
Sadly my husband was finally diagnosed with Dementia which is getting much worse, his walking is very bad, they are going to put a shunt in his brain in a few weeks to see if it will help. But my husband has gone this is just a different person.
I manage well and I even started to drive again out of necessity I am still a little nervous but getting better all the time...
It is good to hear from Celtic Spirit and know she is going back home and the rest. All I can say is if you are going home dont hang about do it.....
So nice to read all your posts........
Old Sep 28th 2015, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
I'm in Northern Ireland which is also part of the U.K. It sounds like you are in an apartment building. I chose to lease a house with three bedrooms and a garden. It's beautifully updated and unfurnished just as I wanted. However, about five more weeks until my container arrives. I bought a bed, duvet etc., and my brother has lent me a leather love seat and various odds and ends. I actually move in tomorrow. It's on a hill and the views are magnificent. I'm still nervous about being here and hope I settle down. Next to buy a car......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.