Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 10th 2015, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Weather here in the South East of England ------ today was absolutely fantastic!!! blue skies and sunshine all day long and around 75f. just a little too hot for me though, but I did go out for a nice walk, and went down to the beach, lots of people there and lots of folks swimming too,
cheers --- 100f. is for the birds!!!! ---- in Vegas, Im sooooo happy that I don't have to deal with that heat anymore, thank goodness those days are over for me now England swings like a pendulum do, Bobbys on bicycles two by two ------ and no human was meant to live in the desert
Old Sep 10th 2015, 7:06 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Sounds like you're having a great time Mallory. We have sheep out the back of our house and they can be really entertaining but I love to see the little lambs appear. Sounds as if the cats like you anyway if they are leaving you presents.
Weather suddenly changed at lunch time. Big blue sky, and warm sunny weather. When I was cooking dinner, looked out of big windows in kitchen, and two farmhands were pulling a calf out of a cow. All very interesting. Met the gourmet cook at the local pub, who has her photo on the wall with Prince Charles.

Apparently the cow maternity wing is outside our window, as all the cows are pregnant. Beyond the fence are the dairy cows, and the milking house. They all queue up at a certain time. I'm getting dizzy with the smell of manure.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Weather suddenly changed at lunch time. Big blue sky, and warm sunny weather. When I was cooking dinner, looked out of big windows in kitchen, and two farmhands were pulling a calf out of a cow. All very interesting. Met the gourmet cook at the local pub, who has her photo on the wall with Prince Charles.

Apparently the cow maternity wing is outside our window, as all the cows are pregnant
. Beyond the fence are the dairy cows, and the milking house. They all queue up at a certain time. I'm getting dizzy with the smell of manure.
It sounds like you're in for a busy time. I think you just get used to the manure smell after awhile although I must admit when the farmers have been spreading manure around here I'm tempted to stay indoors. Still, that's all part of farming. When my Dad was here earlier this year we paid a visit to a farmer he knows near Newton Stewart in Scotland. It's been 50 years since I was there and driving up the road to the farmhouse (which is now considerably bigger than it once was), it was just like yesterday. The current farmer was only a boy of about 15 the last time I was there and it was really lovely to see him again and meet his family. I really hope you enjoy your house sitting and that things stay sunny. Don't know about your neck of the woods but its looking lovely & sunny here this morning (for now anyway )
Old Sep 11th 2015, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

It had been getting a little quiet around here, so thank you all for your lovely updates! It's helping me with those pesky wobbles I have been having lately. But, as you say, Celticspirit, we must chose and not look back
Old Sep 11th 2015, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Perth, good luck with your move whenever it may be.. I so want to be back in the UK NOW! But I have to be patient and wait until finances are in order. Seems work a lot but little chance to save money for move back. It will get better or so I have to keep telling myself..
Old Sep 11th 2015, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Perth, good luck with your move whenever it may be.. I so want to be back in the UK NOW! But I have to be patient and wait until finances are in order. Seems work a lot but little chance to save money for move back. It will get better or so I have to keep telling myself..
Thank you fulwood! We are aiming for Sept 2016. You will make it too. Anything can be accomplished if you are determined enough
Old Sep 12th 2015, 12:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It helps me too when I am feeling very blue . So thank you all.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:03 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
It helps me too when I am feeling very blue . So thank you all.
Well, here is a little story for you BEVS. Husband and I were going through security in the US. Husband's backpack got pushed off to the side to be searched. Wait, wait, wait. He finally asks for it. They look through it and give it to him. Only, it's not actually his backpack. His has disappeared. The owner of the other one didn't know it had got sidelined, and accidentally took husband's BP. Husband tells me his BP is gone - then he drops the clanger - his passport, boarding pass, and driving license are in there. Ten minutes have gone by.

Tell security agents. They have to run all the film back, get the man's pic, and also match up where he was going. 15 minutes have gone by. They knew which direction he had gone, but still looking for his pic. I left, and ran down the D area that he had gone. I ran through all the departure lounges, restaurants, bars, etc. I had put a certain label on it, so knew I could recognize it. People were asking me funny questions. I looked like an idiot searching everyone's stuff. People were getting on planes going to Las Vegas, the Caribbean, you name it. No, I didn't find it.

Dragged back down to security. News! Security guys had got his pic, and where he was going. He was minutes from boarding his plane, when he realised he had the wrong BP. Asked them to hold the plane. Security made him run back down to the security area, and swap bags with husband - had to be done in a certain way for security reasons. Phew. Husband and I went to dinner in airport, and had a drink. Plane not leaving until 2230. Went to departure lounge for a nice quiet sit down. Husband looked in BP and his jacket was missing. Husband is a native Floridian, and he thinks England is like the Arctic. No jacket, arghhhh!

I ran down to security, and same guy was there, and I asked what gate the other guy left from. When running back down there, in opposite direction, found gate was closed. Getting late now. Most gates closed, and told lost and found is out of the security zone. Walked back out, and saw two officials talking at last desk, went over to ask if they have seen jacket. Jacket was sitting on the counter. OMG couldn't believe it. Took it down to husband - amazed - could not believe that I had found it (big airport BTW).

We stayed in a hotel in London for a few days to visit some family members. When we got to our final destination he dumped out his BP, and there was a camera inside it that was not his. Apparently, the man who took his bag opened it to stick the camera in, and then realised it wasn't his backpack.

Before we found the bag, I'm thinking, can't get on the plane without the boarding pass, can't enter UK without passport, and can't drive hire car without driving license. It was a horrifying experience. Moral - Be very alert when going through security!
Old Sep 12th 2015, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, here is a little story for you BEVS. Husband and I were going through security in the US. Husband's backpack got pushed off to the side to be searched. Wait, wait, wait. He finally asks for it. They look through it and give it to him. Only, it's not actually his backpack. His has disappeared. The owner of the other one didn't know it had got sidelined, and accidentally took husband's BP. Husband tells me his BP is gone - then he drops the clanger - his passport, boarding pass, and driving license are in there. Ten minutes have gone by.

Tell security agents. They have to run all the film back, get the man's pic, and also match up where he was going. 15 minutes have gone by. They knew which direction he had gone, but still looking for his pic. I left, and ran down the D area that he had gone. I ran through all the departure lounges, restaurants, bars, etc. I had put a certain label on it, so knew I could recognize it. People were asking me funny questions. I looked like an idiot searching everyone's stuff. People were getting on planes going to Las Vegas, the Caribbean, you name it. No, I didn't find it.

Dragged back down to security. News! Security guys had got his pic, and where he was going. He was minutes from boarding his plane, when he realised he had the wrong BP. Asked them to hold the plane. Security made him run back down to the security area, and swap bags with husband - had to be done in a certain way for security reasons. Phew. Husband and I went to dinner in airport, and had a drink. Plane not leaving until 2230. Went to departure lounge for a nice quiet sit down. Husband looked in BP and his jacket was missing. Husband is a native Floridian, and he thinks England is like the Arctic. No jacket, arghhhh!

I ran down to security, and same guy was there, and I asked what gate the other guy left from. When running back down there, in opposite direction, found gate was closed. Getting late now. Most gates closed, and told lost and found is out of the security zone. Walked back out, and saw two officials talking at last desk, went over to ask if they have seen jacket. Jacket was sitting on the counter. OMG couldn't believe it. Took it down to husband - amazed - could not believe that I had found it (big airport BTW).

We stayed in a hotel in London for a few days to visit some family members. When we got to our final destination he dumped out his BP, and there was a camera inside it that was not his. Apparently, the man who took his bag opened it to stick the camera in, and then realised it wasn't his backpack.

Before we found the bag, I'm thinking, can't get on the plane without the boarding pass, can't enter UK without passport, and can't drive hire car without driving license. It was a horrifying experience. Moral - Be very alert when going through security!
Woweeeee Mallory -------- the more I read of your post the more I imagined I was watching a movie with Sandra Bullock I bet you lost a few pounds at the airport: lol:
Old Sep 12th 2015, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
fulwood you are doing the right thing, coming home with not enough money can be a mistake, good luck on saving, it will get better!!!
And when you do finally make it back to this lovely green land ----- you will know that all the hardship was indeed worth it!!!! and the sigh of relief knowing that you are HOME hmmmmm heaven!!!!
Old Sep 12th 2015, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Mallory - my nerves are absolutely frayed jagged just reading that! So glad all worked out.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... awesome story and lesson, Thanks...
Old Sep 13th 2015, 8:08 am
In the pink

Originally Posted by jasper123
Woweeeee Mallory -------- the more I read of your post the more I imagined I was watching a movie with Sandra Bullock I bet you lost a few pounds at the airport: lol:
No not Sandra Bullock, think more like Angela Lansbury

Went to Sainsbury yesterday and older posh lady came over and helped us figure out the parking system. Putting in your license plate number, and getting a ticket, and then getting the money back in the store. Then putting a pound in the trolley, and getting it back later. She was so much help.

I had to order a coffee maker on Amazon. Then trying to find filters in the store was almost impossible. Store helper finally found them on the shelf down at shoe level. No coffee makers anywhere. Husband is amazed at the array of kettles in the stores.

We are going for Sunday lunch at the local pub, reservation required. I had Rhubarb yoghurt for breakfast. Lovely and sunny today, and yesterday. We had to take our sweaters off yesterday. We sat by the River Severn and watched the swans, ducks, etc.

I bought a bag of mix and match licorice at the market. OMG so good. Have to be careful though, licorice can give you atrial fibrillation. Oh, and some more G&T, very important.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

No not Sandra Bullock, think more like Angela Lansbury

Went to Sainsbury yesterday and older posh lady came over and helped us figure out the parking system. Putting in your license plate number, and getting a ticket, and then getting the money back in the store. Then putting a pound in the trolley, and getting it back later. She was so much help.

I had to order a coffee maker on Amazon. Then trying to find filters in the store was almost impossible. Store helper finally found them on the shelf down at shoe level. No coffee makers anywhere. Husband is amazed at the array of kettles in the stores.

We are going for Sunday lunch at the local pub, reservation required. I had Rhubarb yoghurt for breakfast. Lovely and sunny today, and yesterday. We had to take our sweaters off yesterday. We sat by the River Severn and watched the swans, ducks, etc.

I bought a bag of mix and match licorice at the market. OMG so good. Have to be careful though, licorice can give you atrial fibrillation. Oh, and some more G&T, very important.
Mallory, that was interesting about you trying to find coffee filters in sainsburys, and not a coffee maker in sight!!! on the reverse of that it reminded me of when my Mum was visiting me in Vegas one year, well we were trying to find an electric kettle, the ones that just switch off when water is boiled, well we tried everywhere, and finally we ended up in Wal-mart and we found one on the very top shelf, and that was the only one they had, so of course I bought it!!!!
I think in America to this very day most Americans that drink (tea) usually boil there water in a kettle on the stove!!!!
Old Sep 13th 2015, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
Mallory - my nerves are absolutely frayed jagged just reading that! So glad all worked out.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.