British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Mallory Sep 8th 2015 6:14 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11743287)
It was Labor Day in the US yesterday which is an indication that summer maybe is over. I don't believe that because the daily temperatures are still over 100 degrees.
We have been in Las Vegas for four days dog sitting at my daughters house. Nice to be home.
While in Las Vegas I was surfing the web and seeing the housing costs in the Scottish islands. Well I can dream?;)

I hope everyone is well?

Cheers

We are in Shropshire for six weeks, housesitting for relatives who are overseas, Today I wore gloves and a scarf. We have the gas fireplace on at mo. It's hard to go from 92 deg F to 58 def F. I hope I warm up soon. :ohmy:

Englishmum Sep 8th 2015 7:00 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11743287)
It was Labor Day in the US yesterday which is an indication that summer maybe is over. I don't believe that because the daily temperatures are still over 100 degrees.
We have been in Las Vegas for four days dog sitting at my daughters house. Nice to be home.
While in Las Vegas I was surfing the web and seeing the housing costs in the Scottish islands. Well I can dream?;)

I hope everyone is well?

Cheers

Hello from a very, very hot New Jersey. I'm on "home leave" from our expat posting in Switzerland and have been in the States for 4 weeks and fly back to Zurich on Sunday (my spouse returned a fortnight ago). It's too hot to go out today and I've spent the morning vacuuming and washing the floors etc.

Well - I'm feeling very unsettled. I honestly don't fancy getting on the plane on Sunday.... I know I'm still in 'vacation' mode in my mind here: we had a holiday in Bar Harbor and in Portland, Maine with our son and his fiancee. It's beautiful there - but it reminded me of being in north Devon or Cornwall. The highlights were the lobster and clam bakes, unusual ice-creams (Thai coconut chili ice-cream was interesting.....the heat from the chili with the coldness of the ice-cream was very strange!) and my favourite was going to a drive-in cinema, a real blast from the past but good sound quality through the car radio! One family arrived in a hearse! :lol:

The Saco Drive In | Where movies and nostalgia meet!

Over the past Labor Day weekend we went into New York City (40 mins away) and had delicious dim sum in Chinatown, then took the subway up to Central Park and Times Square....have been to these places so many times before but needed a change from the dullness of Swiss life. Yesterday we went to a very pretty town in New Jersey (Lamington) and then walked across the bridge over the Delaware River to another pretty bohemian town in Pennsylvania (New Hope). I'll be going back into NYC this week to meet up with my friend and also another town in NJ to see other friends.

It's so refreshing to go into the American shops, go for an eye-test etc. and to be able to make small talk in English. I absolutely can't get on with Swiss German (a spoken dialect only) although almost all retailers speak English; I would love to do something like voluntary work for a charity as I did in the US but I know that non-English conversation is just too difficult for me and even High German is something which I just struggle with, I feel too old tbh and although I'd like to try and assimilate I never get to meet the locals. Unfortunately the Swiss do have a reputation for being 'cold' and it's very difficult to make friends with them, they prefer to keep their friendships from their schooldays and families.

What is worse is that from my small group of friends, trailing spouses also with the company my husband works for - they've all recently left Switzerland. However, I'm so happy that one English friend has just moved over from New Jersey and she's just Skyped me as she is going crazy and can't wait for me to return lol!

My husband also Skyped me a couple of hours ago; he is already planning his ski trips this year and asked me if I want to go to Zermatt in December (where the Matterhorn is) as a group of colleagues from his office are going. I've already been there and no longer ski (never progressed from the easiest slopes, I'm hopeless) so I've chosen not to go. He has really embraced the outdoor lifestyle, (unlike me) he loves running long distance, cycling, hiking, skiing etc. and he's very keen to 'go local' if the opportunity arises next Summer (when we are due to leave). It fills me with dread.... :eek: We have been expats for 21 years and I'd like to go home to England but my spouse doesn't want to until he retires or no longer has a choice/job...:thumbdown:

On the bright side, my daughter has asked me to help look after my granddaughter for a week next month - in England - so how could I refuse? :thumbsup:

Sorry for writing so much about myself....it's just good to vent my (slight) frustration, even though I must sound terribly spoiled having a First World gripe...I'm well aware how fortunate I've been in my life....

jasper123 Sep 8th 2015 11:27 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 11743454)
Hello from a very, very hot New Jersey. I'm on "home leave" from our expat posting in Switzerland and have been in the States for 4 weeks and fly back to Zurich on Sunday (my spouse returned a fortnight ago). It's too hot to go out today and I've spent the morning vacuuming and washing the floors etc.

Well - I'm feeling very unsettled. I honestly don't fancy getting on the plane on Sunday.... I know I'm still in 'vacation' mode in my mind here: we had a holiday in Bar Harbor and in Portland, Maine with our son and his fiancee. It's beautiful there - but it reminded me of being in north Devon or Cornwall. The highlights were the lobster and clam bakes, unusual ice-creams (Thai coconut chili ice-cream was interesting.....the heat from the chili with the coldness of the ice-cream was very strange!) and my favourite was going to a drive-in cinema, a real blast from the past but good sound quality through the car radio! One family arrived in a hearse! :lol:

The Saco Drive In | Where movies and nostalgia meet!

Over the past Labor Day weekend we went into New York City (40 mins away) and had delicious dim sum in Chinatown, then took the subway up to Central Park and Times Square....have been to these places so many times before but needed a change from the dullness of Swiss life. Yesterday we went to a very pretty town in New Jersey (Lamington) and then walked across the bridge over the Delaware River to another pretty bohemian town in Pennsylvania (New Hope). I'll be going back into NYC this week to meet up with my friend and also another town in NJ to see other friends.

It's so refreshing to go into the American shops, go for an eye-test etc. and to be able to make small talk in English. I absolutely can't get on with Swiss German (a spoken dialect only) although almost all retailers speak English; I would love to do something like voluntary work for a charity as I did in the US but I know that non-English conversation is just too difficult for me and even High German is something which I just struggle with, I feel too old tbh and although I'd like to try and assimilate I never get to meet the locals. Unfortunately the Swiss do have a reputation for being 'cold' and it's very difficult to make friends with them, they prefer to keep their friendships from their schooldays and families.

What is worse is that from my small group of friends, trailing spouses also with the company my husband works for - they've all recently left Switzerland. However, I'm so happy that one English friend has just moved over from New Jersey and she's just Skyped me as she is going crazy and can't wait for me to return lol!

My husband also Skyped me a couple of hours ago; he is already planning his ski trips this year and asked me if I want to go to Zermatt in December (where the Matterhorn is) as a group of colleagues from his office are going. I've already been there and no longer ski (never progressed from the easiest slopes, I'm hopeless) so I've chosen not to go. He has really embraced the outdoor lifestyle, (unlike me) he loves running long distance, cycling, hiking, skiing etc. and he's very keen to 'go local' if the opportunity arises next Summer (when we are due to leave). It fills me with dread.... :eek: We have been expats for 21 years and I'd like to go home to England but my spouse doesn't want to until he retires or no longer has a choice/job...:thumbdown:

On the bright side, my daughter has asked me to help look after my granddaughter for a week next month - in England - so how could I refuse? :thumbsup:

Sorry for writing so much about myself....it's just good to vent my (slight) frustration, even though I must sound terribly spoiled having a First World gripe...I'm well aware how fortunate I've been in my life....

Englishmum, I really enjoyed reading your update, very interesting indeed, nice and long ----- reminds me of the long posts I used to type in the old days on this thread ;) :goodpost:
Take care,
Rodney.

Celticspirit Sep 9th 2015 4:54 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Which weather would you rather have? It was 99F here in Dallas today. Not crazy about the rain, but love cool weather. Can't wait.

Mallory Sep 9th 2015 9:56 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 11743786)
Which weather would you rather have? It was 99F here in Dallas today. Not crazy about the rain, but love cool weather. Can't wait.

Well, I was looking forward to cooler weather, but when you get here, it's a bit cooler than you imagine. I'm hoping my USC hubby can stand the course! When we go in a country pub around here, and he starts talking (southern accent), you could hear a pin drop. Everyone stops talking and stares at him. I think it's a degree warmer today, but very cloudy. Cows are looking through the kitchen window! Very rural and pretty here.

I think food in the grocery stores is the same price as US. Can't see that it's any cheaper. Beer in pubs is expensive. We have a Vauxhall Corsa hire car, and hubby is nipping around the lanes very well, enjoying the manual transmission.

I made half-and-half by mixing light cream with milk. Quite satisfactory for coffee. More later.

feelbritish Sep 9th 2015 4:17 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Englishmum, loved reading your post and dont be despondent if your hubby does not want to go home. My OH definitely did not want to return but over the last year after pointing out all the advantages , he eventually sucombed to return and is now embracing it. In fact yesterday while out walking he said "when we get home..." I knew he was ready.

Our news is that our furniture arrived in warehouse in Oxfordshire today, so customs must have just glanced at list of goods because it was only delivered off ship late Mon and we have arranged for our goods tl be delivered to house on 6th October. We have got a painter coming in from 1st October to paint the house. Our tenants had to have the house professionally cleaned including carpets which agents arranged. Speaking of agents our ones who have looked after house have been fantastic liaising with me through all this.

Time to return, OH stepdad fell while shopping by tripping over a brick in road and broke hip, ball just came right out and was a bit of drama and his mom was in a state, had dog with them which was taken to pound but their son eventually took dog out home with him and brought their car back. OH mom is 87 and in such a panic when we phoned her yesterday. Now we will be home at least to deal with those emergencies. One good thing to come out of this is he will not have to wait for hip replacement as apparently there is a long waiting list.

So now we are ready to go and getting a bit bored. Weather here has changed to fall, cold in evening and grey and much to OH despair, the coho salmon have not arrived yet and he wanted to have a last fish before we leave. 3 weeks and we will be there:thumbsup:

Mallory Sep 9th 2015 5:19 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Had to smile today - was in W H Smith in Shrewsbury buying a paper. Looked down at the counter at the till, and they had Twinkies, two to a package! After that surprise, right next to them were Hershey chocolate bars, and packets of M&Ms - gasp! Rodders should run in for a Twinkie fix!

usbrit2015 Sep 9th 2015 8:06 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Hello everyone who remembers me. I'm back in the US, loved England, didn't stay, but will go back early next year. Had some things to sort out before I can settle there again. I visited family in Croydon near London, some in Verwood in Dorset, found a lovely place that I didn't rent in Exmouth, and also visited other family in Llandudno, Wales. It was wonderful, wonderful. The trains, buses, everything, was marvelous. Went from train to underground to train, and all was on time...except when I missed my train stop a couple of times, and the conductors just said stay on, get off here, we'll get you back there....and so on...people were great. Another time, a young mother with two small children went out of her way to get me back on 'track' after I missed one stop....gave her two children little ones 50p each...they were happy.

Will remain in the US through the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, then wait for the weather to break, here and there, before heading back.

Just thought I'd bring you up-to-date.

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 10th 2015 1:26 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by usbrit2015 (Post 11744345)
Hello everyone who remembers me. I'm back in the US, loved England, didn't stay, but will go back early next year. Had some things to sort out before I can settle there again. I visited family in Croydon near London, some in Verwood in Dorset, found a lovely place that I didn't rent in Exmouth, and also visited other family in Llandudno, Wales. It was wonderful, wonderful. The trains, buses, everything, was marvelous. Went from train to underground to train, and all was on time...except when I missed my train stop a couple of times, and the conductors just said stay on, get off here, we'll get you back there....and so on...people were great. Another time, a young mother with two small children went out of her way to get me back on 'track' after I missed one stop....gave her two children little ones 50p each...they were happy.

Will remain in the US through the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, then wait for the weather to break, here and there, before heading back.

Just thought I'd bring you up-to-date.

I remember you and to be honest I feel for you, this back n forth stuff is very hard on a person, moving back and leaving family behind is difficult, Heck I dont know what else to say except Good Luck and I hope it all works out for you...

Celticspirit Sep 10th 2015 1:55 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
My brother says I live somewhere mid Atlantic. It is seriously agonizing. I saw a psychotherapist who helped me through my divorce. She told me I must pick one or the other and NEVER LOOK BACK. In some ways I used the excuse of better medical care here after I broke my neck, shoulder and ribs. Granted it was good and I had kept good insurance too. This time canceling insurance but will still have Medicare, I guess.
Doggies leave Sept 20, and I leave 22nd. I have leased an updated 3 bed house for two years and paid 6 months up front. It backs onto Queens Uni Playing Fields. I have had a HSBC A/C in the UK for two years. It's lovely that my daughter and hubs have moved to Stratford Upon Avon in July. Still, at 71, and 43 years here I cannot allow myself to look back again.

greenlane Sep 10th 2015 5:53 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Englishmum - I lived in Switz. for over 10 years and loved it....I know what you mean about the reputation the Swiss have, about being difficult to befriend, but I have a couple of Swiss female friends I made and we still keep in touch. Loved Zug (I think you know that place, according to your posts); I only visited Zurich once as I lived at the other end of the country, where French is spoken; and when I was young, a million years ago, I visited the Italian-speaking part of Switz, which I remember as being lovely. Switz. was a great place to live - so easy getting to other countries, even for just a day's visit, and oh, the food!

We are off to the U.K. soon, for a few weeks and really looking forward to a change of scene - Llandudno will be visited, as will mid-Wales, and perhaps also we'll drive up through the Lake District. Good weather will, naturally, be a big factor......so long as it's not pouring down, it will be OK!

curleytops Sep 10th 2015 8:31 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 11744221)
Had to smile today - was in W H Smith in Shrewsbury buying a paper. Looked down at the counter at the till, and they had Twinkies, two to a package! After that surprise, right next to them were Hershey chocolate bars, and packets of M&Ms - gasp! Rodders should run in for a Twinkie fix!

Rod you know what to do, fill ya boots lad! :lol:

Mallory Sep 10th 2015 10:31 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
We are in the wilds of Shrops looking out on a dairy farm. Husband heard a cow delivering a calf yesterday, and when we got back from a trip out, there was a little white calf running around. We are feeding 3 cats - one left us a dead mouse outside the door today. Weather very grey, gloomy and foggy. Got the G and T's out to brighten things up.

jasper123 Sep 10th 2015 10:43 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 11744714)
Rod you know what to do, fill ya boots lad! :lol:

I better arrange a trip to Shrewsbury so I can stock up on my Twinkies ;)

curleytops Sep 10th 2015 2:59 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 11744778)
We are in the wilds of Shrops looking out on a dairy farm. Husband heard a cow delivering a calf yesterday, and when we got back from a trip out, there was a little white calf running around. We are feeding 3 cats - one left us a dead mouse outside the door today. Weather very grey, gloomy and foggy. Got the G and T's out to brighten things up.

Sounds like you're having a great time Mallory. We have sheep out the back of our house and they can be really entertaining but I love to see the little lambs appear. Sounds as if the cats like you anyway if they are leaving you presents.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:52 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.