Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 19th 2011, 12:04 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by bandrui
I'm confused . You are the one who brought it up!

Thanks for saying what you said bandrui. There are too many allegations flying around in the last days about people who are 'other' in some way (muslim, EEU immigrants etc) and it is freaking me out a bit. As a group of immigrants ourselves, you'd think we'd be the last ones to point fingers at other people.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 12:36 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by bandrui
Another quality of life article. Apparently South Cambridgeshire tops the list:

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/article...fe-survey.html
That one made me smile because two of the criteria are where do people make the most money and where do they have the biggest houses. I think me and Country Life have a different idea of what is meant by quality of life.

What about where are their family ties strongest? Where do people have the most friends? Where are they happiest? Those would be much better indicators along with health and education stats, I would think.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Windsong.......World War III - the World against America..I really think its time you went back to the UK. I dont know how you survive in the US with such sentiment inside you. It would be a sorry day if the rest of the World was against the US. Are you including all the terrorist led countries in that group. Who do you think the UK would run to for help if the terrorist were to overun the UK. That could well happen given all the unrest in the Middle East and the influx of refugees into Spain and then into France. Many of these being terrorists. The French have been stopping trains and turning people back but Spain has complained to the EU to get the French let the refugees through.

You need to remember that many posters have children and husbands who are Amercans. No wonder people do not post anymore.

The UK does not need to US to help it get into trouble it can do it all on its own.
Trotty -

First of all, you ought to go back and read my post. I mentioned nothing whatsoever about national defense, terrorists, or anything like that. I talked about a "financial and industrial" war.

Secondly, it is okay with me if you do not share my feelings. I am quite comfortable in my own skin and I do not rely on the opinions of others for my mental health.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Rodney, please don't stop posting. Nor anyone else who has been posting here for a long time. Just look at it as people voicing opinions. We all have different one's. This is a fabulous forum and that is because of the people that post, ie Rodney, ED, Trottytrue and many, many others. I love reading the post, whether negative or positive, this is a great place to say exactly how you feel and hopefully no one will be led to feel they need to leave.

I love everyone here. Even those who disagree with me. And that is unusual for me.
I am actually quite upset and disgusted at these last few posts.
This is a public forum and you all sound like a little clique that wants to have control over other people.
There are many differing viewpoints among people. If this is how welcoming you are of "new posters", I only hope that I don't have people like you around me when I go home.
I think you could adjust your attitudes and avoid the personal insults that you send out.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

And if anyone thinks there are no homeless in the UK you should read this.

http://2012indyinfo.wordpress.com/20...-threatens-uk/

My point is that you can find good and bad no matter where you live. I am still going home but not with some wonderful view that the UK is perfect and better than anywhere else in the world. Its not it just happens to be the place I want to live.
Trotty, stop thinking in black and white. The world is not this way. The mature thing to do is look at the shades of gray. Of course, there are homeless people in the UK just as there are in the USA. The issue is in what proportion to the general population.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Thanks ED as always for your words of wisdom and your solid common sense.

It's sad when people get upset with each other on this forum, when it was such a haven of support in the past. It's so easy, with the computer, to just type things without thinking about their effect.

Windsong, I so sympathise with your yearning to go back,and your worries that you won't be able to until your SS kicks in....but you must be able to see that to talk about "World War III on America" is inflammatory (even if what I think you may have meant is that people in US will get so fed up that they rebel and declare "war" on govt, corporations etc..).

We have always been about SUPPORT here. It has been a place to come to when people feel homesick, sometimes torn about what to do, don't know how to do it, and want to know what it will be like.

The recent change in atmosphere has meant that some of the most helpful posters --people like ED and DDL who have gone back and can tell us what it's like "from the horse's mouth" (no offence intended!!) have stopped posting.

Let's get back on track so we don't lose more valuable members. I, along with many others, am so grateful to trotty for starting this thread. Let's keep it informative, supportive, and friendly!

Tina/between two worlds
So sorry that you think it was inflammatory, BTW. I merely stated what I think.

You are quite correct about what I meant . . . and I did say "financial and industrial". The people will get fed up with the government and corporations, but not just in the US. I think it will be everywhere - eventually.

Last edited by windsong; Apr 19th 2011 at 2:56 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

No bandrui.... I was answering Windsongs post.
Yes, you responded to my post but YOU are the one who brought up politics and terrorists. I talked about a financial and industrial "war". Perhaps upheaval would have been a better word.

Last edited by windsong; Apr 19th 2011 at 2:57 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Thanks for saying what you said bandrui. There are too many allegations flying around in the last days about people who are 'other' in some way (muslim, EEU immigrants etc) and it is freaking me out a bit. As a group of immigrants ourselves, you'd think we'd be the last ones to point fingers at other people.
Well said..Sally. Is how I have always felt..especially as an "immigrant" here in the US (when the pointing of fingers comes up). Even amongst my own family...when the discussion comes up about all 'those immigrants'...I have chimed in and said..."well I'm an 'immigrant' too". Though invariably most will say.."well you're different"...and I know exactly what that means....it's because of the color of my skin. Sad, but true. John Lennon had it spot on in his song.. "you may call me a dreamer".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNKhIJfB510

Last edited by chriswinter; Apr 19th 2011 at 1:24 pm. Reason: correction
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Sorry Jackie - But the ''correct'' English is A l u m i n i u m ! Love Don ( Eating Jersey Royals EVERY single Day!)
<<<envious face >>>
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Morning Everyone and especially to all the old timers on here. I have not posted on here for some time as I made a concious decision to leave the thread, that does not mean that I have not been reading what has being said. One of the reasons many of us stopped posting was the exact reasons that Trotty illuminated in her past few postings. I feel that I must post at this time.

Windsong, I have read all of your postings not only on this thread but on many of the others that you have contirbuted to. I would have to say that most of the postings have somewhere in them a deep hatred for the country that you chose to live in. No, it is not perfect, but let me tell you neither is the UK. Garbage everywhere, dog poo everywhere you step, drunks pissing in the corners of the streets, young girls who look like they have been dunked in a tub of orange die, homeless people in the streets and so many many more. Does this mean that I love my birth country any less, of course not!!

Do I agree with many of the US's governmental decisions, of course not but neither do I agree with many of the decisions that have been made here also, not just by this present government by those who have gone before. I am currently livning and working for the next 5 weeks for my company in Inverness, the beauty of the Highlands is spectacular, the people closer to what I remember UK society to be. Still there are problems here also.

Windsong I feel that you and a few others need to move back to the UK ad then you will be able to take off the rose coloured glasses and look at things realisticly and not with what was or what you would like it to be.

I will just go back to my corner now, I just could not let this go. Trottie started this thread to help older people moving back to the UK not for people to have a venue for people to spout off their thoughts on how bad they have been or feel a country has treated them over and over again. We all have had bad things happen to us, the ones that have happened to me personally I could blame Canada, but I would just be waisting my time and my energy.
Easterndawn - Why do you have to read things into what I wrote? You are making this up as you go along . . .

I did not mention AT ALL that the UK was perfect.

Also, my personal feelings about the USA have nothing whatsoever to do with my comment about the industrial and financial issues. I have no idea what could possibly have you made you think that they were related. Totally different topics.

This is what some of the newspapers do . . . they put their own spin on things and the story that comes out is totally different than the facts that went into the story in the first place.

Last edited by windsong; Apr 19th 2011 at 3:22 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Off-topic posts from over 50's/60's thread

Now . . . once and for all . . . if anyone else likes to read things into what I said and accuse me of saying things I did not . . . have at it!

I have never seen such a bunch of toddlers commenting on a forum in all my life!

This is my last comment on the issue. To have such juvenile behavior here is not good for the forum or for anyone on it.

Recommendation: Try to view comments as items for discussion, not criticisms that you can embellish.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
At lunch time LOL!!

I did say

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

but now apparently it is:

Breakfast
Dinner
Tea

haha yes my sister who lives in Manchester has learnt to say this.....of course down south we say Breakfast/lunch/dinner, at least in my family and people I know......

a regional difference.

LOVELY new potatoes....mmmmmm...

Tina
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Here's one I have to get out of, I say Gladwrap (Aussie) here it is cling film.....

I say real estate, here they say estate agent

I say station wagon, here they say estate car

At least I say tomarto not tomatoe!!!
Interesting,Bee--all these things you say are the US variants as well (at least, Gladwrap is a US brand).....but I thought Australian English was more like British English rather than US English....guess I was wrong.

Tina
Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Since Easter is soon upon us...as I was reading another article from the Independent...I ran across this.... I love Chocolate Easter Eggs!

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...action=Gallery

Chris
Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Well said..Sally. Is how I have always felt..especially as an "immigrant" here in the US (when the pointing of fingers comes up). Even amongst my own family...when the discussion comes up about all 'those immigrants'...I have chimed in and said..."well I'm an 'immigrant' too". Though invariably most will say.."well you're different"...and I know exactly what that means....it's because of the color of my skin. Sad, but true. John Lennon had it spot on in his song.. "you may call me a dreamer".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNKhIJfB510
Thank you Chris for that most eloquent reminder that we all live on one small planet and we can dream that one day we will be as one people.

My last comment: I don't have "politics". I have information, ideas, opinions, hopes and dreams. My vote always goes to the party that most closely matches those for me, whoever that might be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.