Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by michali

And, feelbritish, if you have put on weight BEFORE you arrive, watch it when you get here! I have put on more than ten pounds and everyday I am going on a diet that never happens. Too many lovely things I have missed!
feelbritish ----- michali here beat me to it, I was about to tell you the same thing
I have been home for going on close to 5 years now, when I arrived I was this dashing slim man, and in no time at all I turned into a big beach ball,
anyway for months now I have been trying to loose weight, I really do want to get back to how I was, but as michali says it aint easy, too many wonderful delights in UK, but in the last few weeks I have started to get a little more serious about it and now I walk around one mile each day, and also excercise at home, and I'm trying to resist the sweet temptations, at least I have cut down on them a lot, in the last 2 weeks I have lost 5 pounds, and I'm very pleased with myself, ----- so Ill just keep doing what I'm doing and should shred the 24 pounds that I would like to loose ---- in time a little at a time.

Last edited by jasper123; Jul 24th 2015 at 11:02 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to know Windsong finally made it home and she has given her first impressions which seem to be good.

I was wondering which is worst, arriving in the new country or going back to the UK after being gone for a long time? I would think it would be depend on if you have family or love ones there which would make a difference.

So tonight we had baby back ribs from the Outback restaurant. Not too bad.

Cheers
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

"trying to resist the sweet temptations,"
Jeez, I absolutely love jelly babies...so that's one thing I miss
Old Jul 25th 2015, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

maddie1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
feelbritish ----- michali here beat me to it, I was about to tell you the same thing
I have been home for going on close to 5 years now, when I arrived I was this dashing slim man, and in no time at all I turned into a big beach ball,
anyway for months now I have been trying to loose weight, I really do want to get back to how I was, but as michali says it aint easy, too many wonderful delights in UK, but in the last few weeks I have started to get a little more serious about it and now I walk around one mile each day, and also excercise at home, and I'm trying to resist the sweet temptations, at least I have cut down on them a lot, in the last 2 weeks I have lost 5 pounds, and I'm very pleased with myself, ----- so Ill just keep doing what I'm doing and should shred the 24 pounds that I would like to loose ---- in time a little at a time.
3 weeks to go .

Patty and chips with scrapes and mushy peas , treacle pudding and custard yum. but not good for waistline eheh
Old Jul 25th 2015, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Nice to know Windsong finally made it home and she has given her first impressions which seem to be good.

I was wondering which is worst, arriving in the new country or going back to the UK after being gone for a long time? I would think it would be depend on if you have family or love ones there which would make a difference.

Cheers
Good question cheers ---- which is worse, which feels better? you got it right I think, ------ me I was at my most happiest time when I arrived in Australia at the age of 19 in 1965, I emmigrated there as a £10 Pom all on my own, sponsored by the Melbourne Tramways, stayed in Oz for 4 years then came back to England, ----- a few years later my second happiest time was arriving in America, still so young I was, and full of all the hopes and dreams of a great new life, and it was!!! but I didn't think I would be there for 36 years though I had a happy life there really, no complaints,
but then all of a sudden one day I woke up got out of bed to go to work, and looked in the mirror and realized I was 65 years old, then I had a (forest gump) moment ---- and I said to myself I don't want to do this anymore!!! just like that ------ and so going home seemed to be a great escape!!! remember when Forest Gump was running all over the country for years and all those people were following him and he didn't shave and had this big beard!!! and then suddenly stopped and said I don't want to do this anymore!!!
So after a few months of thinking about it, and weighing up the pros & cons list that I wrote out on a bit of paper, realized the Pros greatly outweighed the cons ----- and then to me being single with nobody to please but myself it was a no brainer ------- so that was the third most happiest time for me when I stepped off that plane at heathrow ------ and knowing that this was it for me, home for good ----- quite happy and contented with what Ive done in my life, and the things Ive seen, --- and so here I am at home in the very same city as I was born in, at a nice comfy age of 70 sitting in my arm chair with my feet up gazing out the window on a sunny afternoon looking after Mum, been retired for 5 years now and loving every minute of it!!!! yep I would say I'm a happy camper
Old Jul 25th 2015, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
"trying to resist the sweet temptations,"
Jeez, I absolutely love jelly babies...so that's one thing I miss
My Dad's just away back to Canada with 3 big boxes, one for sister & bro in law and 2 for him. I think he would have taken more but said he "didn't want to look like a pig" at the checkout in Morrison's. I'm curious as to how long they'll last.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

will have to join Weightwatchers again when I get home!
Old Jul 25th 2015, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Good question cheers ---- which is worse, which feels better? you got it right I think, ------ me I was at my most happiest time when I arrived in Australia at the age of 19 in 1965, I emmigrated there as a £10 Pom all on my own, sponsored by the Melbourne Tramways, stayed in Oz for 4 years then came back to England, ----- a few years later my second happiest time was arriving in America, still so young I was, and full of all the hopes and dreams of a great new life, and it was!!! but I didn't think I would be there for 36 years though I had a happy life there really, no complaints,
but then all of a sudden one day I woke up got out of bed to go to work, and looked in the mirror and realized I was 65 years old, then I had a (forest gump) moment ---- and I said to myself I don't want to do this anymore!!! just like that ------ and so going home seemed to be a great escape!!! remember when Forest Gump was running all over the country for years and all those people were following him and he didn't shave and had this big beard!!! and then suddenly stopped and said I don't want to do this anymore!!!
So after a few months of thinking about it, and weighing up the pros & cons list that I wrote out on a bit of paper, realized the Pros greatly outweighed the cons ----- and then to me being single with nobody to please but myself it was a no brainer ------- so that was the third most happiest time for me when I stepped off that plane at heathrow ------ and knowing that this was it for me, home for good ----- quite happy and contented with what Ive done in my life, and the things Ive seen, --- and so here I am at home in the very same city as I was born in, at a nice comfy age of 70 sitting in my arm chair with my feet up gazing out the window on a sunny afternoon looking after Mum, been retired for 5 years now and loving every minute of it!!!! yep I would say I'm a happy camper
Oh Rodney what a lovely life, good on you! I am really hoping I will be happier back home in our old town, but we only lived there 4 years although owned the house since 1999. At least it is familiar and I am already planning which organisations and groups to join. Said to OH the other day, looks like Mon and Fri are already taken up in mornings! Provided I can get a space in those activities.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
My Dad's just away back to Canada with 3 big boxes, one for sister & bro in law and 2 for him. I think he would have taken more but said he "didn't want to look like a pig" at the checkout in Morrison's. I'm curious as to how long they'll last.
Those jelly babies are my downfall too! I cannot stop on a few in the hand, have to pig out! Maybe I do that because I don't think I will get more in a hurry and if living there I may limit myself - ok who am I kidding!
Old Jul 25th 2015, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Pork pies, cheese, hot cross buns, chocolate digestive biscuits, eclairs, ice cream, double cream, single cream, anything cream! The list is endless! I really have to try harder though.

As to joining groups, I have not followed through on that intention. After I gave up working abroad, I always did volunteer work and fully intended to continue here. Have not got involved yet though. But our main reason for returning was to spend time with our children and grandchildren and that we have done! Love my life right now but then, I have pretty much loved being wherever I was.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Those jelly babies are my downfall too! I cannot stop on a few in the hand, have to pig out! Maybe I do that because I don't think I will get more in a hurry and if living there I may limit myself - ok who am I kidding!
FB, you are suffering from what I call "Colonial Deprivation". Before I left Canada, DH would send me little "care packages" which I was careful to keep hidden away in a little plastic container. There were still a few goodies left when I was due to leave for UK and I handed them to Dad & Sis to fight over - and bicker they did! Once you've been over here a little while this will all calm down a bit because you know you can have all this good stuff any time and there's no need to hoard it or go mad. That's not to say the old waistline can really get out of hand in the meantime if you're not careful. You have been warned

Originally Posted by michali
Pork pies, cheese, hot cross buns, chocolate digestive biscuits, eclairs, ice cream, double cream, single cream, anything cream! The list is endless! I really have to try harder though.

As to joining groups, I have not followed through on that intention. After I gave up working abroad, I always did volunteer work and fully intended to continue here. Have not got involved yet though. But our main reason for returning was to spend time with our children and grandchildren and that we have done! Love my life right now but then, I have pretty much loved being wherever I was.
I can take or leave the pork pies (it's a good sausage roll I go mad for) but the rest - I'm with you with all of that!

Like you, I haven't really gotten into joining groups or volunteer work but I think that's largely due to all the moving about and my recent mobility problems. Hopefully we'll get settled in the new location soon and now I'm out and about more I'm looking forward to getting more involved. I heard on the news the other day that in many small villages, the residents are doing volunteer shifts at their local village shops and pubs in a bid to keep them open; I think that's a great idea. The possibilities are endless I guess. Glad to hear you're enjoying being with the family!
Old Jul 29th 2015, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Hi Cheers!

I have only been here about ten days and I am still getting used to being in the UK.

I found my apartment through a friend of a friend so skipped the usual six months rent up front part. Plus a good friend in the US has a friend who lives in the same building so I took a chance and came over. Very nice apartment at excellent rate. It's actually a sublet until March. It needs a new washer and landlord is arranging a new one.

I live in a very nice part but within 2-3 miles it reminds me of Coronation Street! This general area is not for me but it is a great beginning and the building I live in is superb. The people in the neighbourhood are also very friendly.

Presently I am looking for work. I hope I am one of the lucky ones who gets a job soon. One recruiter has put my CV everywhere and I found another yesterday who has already submitted it for a well paying position.

The big surprise is that, although there is a bus stop very close to me, the buses no longer come here. I have to walk uphill about half a mile or so to the main road to get one. The railway station here is also closed until the end of August. Talk about depressing! I have been relying on taxis to get around but the cost mounts up when it is your only means of transport. I am now looking for an older but decent used car. I don't think I can finance one being new here even when I have a job but not entirely sure of this, though.

I won't stay in this area when my lease is up. It's not the standard of area I am used to but it is a superb starting point. I am fairly centrally located and can be just about anywhere in 4 hours by train which gives me a chance to look around. What I did not expect is the train fares to be so high. It cost my friend about £100 for a return ticket to come and see me. I thought it might be half of that.

I think I am adjusting quite well especially since I came from a very hot and dry climate. The grey skies get to me a bit. I need the sunshine even if it is cooler.

It is an adjustment, though. I don't like seeing trash at the sides of some roads and the way some people drive in the middle of the road when going round bends on narrow roads scares me to death!

I have had fish and chips five times since I got here at the local pub. It serves great meals.

I must admit to feeling a bit lonely but I don't know how to make friends here. I can't find a community centre and the local library is twice the size of my living room!

I do miss the US in some respects - knowing my way around, getting familiar with brand names in supermarkets, the local art supply shops, big book shops with coffee shops in them. I wonder where people go to buy books here?? The big city is 20 miles away. I haven't been there yet. I miss the countryside of Scotland but my friend is coming down again in a week and this time with a car so we can see what is around here.

I lost my old green UK driver's license but apparently I can just fill in form D1 at the post office and so long as I know the address that was on my former licence, they will replace it with a new photo card. I need to find out if I can drive on my US licence for a while. I am not sure about that.

It doesn't feel like home yet but I think when I am working it will.

Last edited by windsong; Jul 29th 2015 at 10:27 am.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Cheers, to answer your question it took me far, far, far longer to adjust to the USA than it has taken me thus far to readjust to the UK.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Hi Cheers!

I have only been here about ten days and I am still getting used to being in the UK.

I found my apartment through a friend of a friend so skipped the usual six months rent up front part. Plus a good friend in the US has a friend who lives in the same building so I took a chance and came over. Very nice apartment at excellent rate. It's actually a sublet until March. It needs a new washer and landlord is arranging a new one.

I live in a very nice part but within 2-3 miles it reminds me of Coronation Street! This general area is not for me but it is a great beginning and the building I live in is superb. The people in the neighbourhood are also very friendly.

Presently I am looking for work. I hope I am one of the lucky ones who gets a job soon. One recruiter has put my CV everywhere and I found another yesterday who has already submitted it for a well paying position.

The big surprise is that, although there is a bus stop very close to me, the buses no longer come here. I have to walk uphill about half a mile or so to the main road to get one. The railway station here is also closed until the end of August. Talk about depressing! I have been relying on taxis to get around but the cost mounts up when it is your only means of transport. I am now looking for an older but decent used car. I don't think I can finance one being new here even when I have a job but not entirely sure of this, though.

I won't stay in this area when my lease is up. It's not the standard of area I am used to but it is a superb starting point. I am fairly centrally located and can be just about anywhere in 4 hours by train which gives me a chance to look around. What I did not expect is the train fares to be so high. It cost my friend about £100 for a return ticket to come and see me. I thought it might be half of that.

I think I am adjusting quite well especially since I came from a very hot and dry climate. The grey skies get to me a bit. I need the sunshine even if it is cooler.

It is an adjustment, though. I don't like seeing trash at the sides of some roads and the way some people drive in the middle of the road when going round bends on narrow roads scares me to death!

I have had fish and chips five times since I got here at the local pub. It serves great meals.

I must admit to feeling a bit lonely but I don't know how to make friends here. I can't find a community centre and the local library is twice the size of my living room!

I do miss the US in some respects - knowing my way around, getting familiar with brand names in supermarkets, the local art supply shops, big book shops with coffee shops in them. I wonder where people go to buy books here?? The big city is 20 miles away. I haven't been there yet. I miss the countryside of Scotland but my friend is coming down again in a week and this time with a car so we can see what is around here.

I lost my old green UK driver's license but apparently I can just fill in form D1 at the post office and so long as I know the address that was on my former licence, they will replace it with a new photo card. I need to find out if I can drive on my US licence for a while. I am not sure about that.

It doesn't feel like home yet but I think when I am working it will.
Many Brits just use Amazon for books now, as its cheaper, but Waterstones are still going strong as a chain, as are Hatchards. Not sure where you are but my old employers (Waterstones) have numerous branches.

You mentioned eating at the local pub -often the best place to meet people. Get chatting to the locals and you could find some new friends.

With train fares the trick is often to buy in advance. Try www.thetrainline.com My trip home from London can be as cheap as £15 a week in advance, but up to £120 on the day.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

greenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond repute

re. book purchasing: I live in Canada and use the Book Depository website (which is based in the UK, I think).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.