Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by BritInParis
From the information you've given your son is already a British citizen by descent as well as a US citizen by birth and has been since the day he was born. Both the UK and US allow dual nationality and there is no requirement on either side to renounce one citizenship to hold the other.

Providing your son's British passport describes him as a British Citizen then he can move to the UK and start work tomorrow as he has all the same rights to live and work in the UK (Right of Abode) as any other British citizen.

I'm sure where he's getting his information from but either his source is wrong or he's misinterpreting it.

Thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

maddie1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone ,
can any one help due to move back to Uk in four weeks ,its been a nightmare harder then I ever thought .
Now im having a very difficult time finding a shipping company from Montreal to Uk ,
I have been in touch with many and met a few .They are very confusing and in my opinion scam artist .
I thought I had a short list of descent ones, but once they know I packed most of my own belongings and put it in self storage untill Im ready to ship, they dont respond to email questions regarding insurance etc.
I also need to ship clothing in the next couple of weeks to get there when I do but cant get them to commit with me committing to shipping my furniture with them it seems .

Im trying to stay positive but so many problems I'm bringing to think Im doomed .
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

The reason the moving companies like to pack......because its professionally done and less chance of damage/breakage.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 6:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maddie1959
Hi everyone ,
can any one help due to move back to Uk in four weeks ,its been a nightmare harder then I ever thought .
Now im having a very difficult time finding a shipping company from Montreal to Uk ,
I have been in touch with many and met a few .They are very confusing and in my opinion scam artist .
I thought I had a short list of descent ones, but once they know I packed most of my own belongings and put it in self storage untill Im ready to ship, they dont respond to email questions regarding insurance etc.
I also need to ship clothing in the next couple of weeks to get there when I do but cant get them to commit with me committing to shipping my furniture with them it seems .

Im trying to stay positive but so many problems I'm bringing to think Im doomed .
We, like quite a few others on BE, used Allied when we moved from the UK. I would contact them and ask them who their agents are in The Montreal area.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 6:19 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I used Starline from Calgary to UK, but they did the packing and I was very happy with them. Others on here have used Upak we ship, or something like that, so they might be worth contacting. Good luck with your move. It is a stressful time and I wouldn't want to do it again in a hurry.

Last edited by lf1; Jun 23rd 2015 at 6:21 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 6:46 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Four weeks is cutting it fine, to be frank.

From Alberta I used Upakweship, who just provide a container, and Starline to load it. But I did my own packing. If you've got most of your stuff packed already, that may not be so much of a problem, but you do have to provide an inventory and that takes time.

If you have packed yourself, then you do have to accept lower insurance cover. I was just covered for loss of the container.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha

If you have packed yourself, then you do have to accept lower insurance cover. I was just covered for loss of the container.
was it you that had a half container of books worth millions?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:21 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I had half a container of books. Worth millions?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

so that's why you packed the container yourself, one for saving on insurance, the other was the hidden treasure.

I suppose on arrival of the container that there wasn't anything broken ?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
formula can you please send me a link or some kind of proof on this that Barclays were the first!!! I dont like being lied to by Lloyd's ---- cause they have cards now at all there bank branches in England in print telling everyone of this so called fact!!! I will take this to my local congressman and demand he sort all this out. Hemm!!!
Shepherd-Barron joined De La Rue Instruments in the 1960s and came up with the concept of a self-service machine which would dispense paper currency with 24/7 availability. This was the Automated Teller Machine (ATM).[3] The first machine was established outside an Enfield, north London, branch of Barclays Bank in June 1967,[3] when he was Managing Director of De La Rue Instruments. According to the ATM Industry Association, there are now more than 1.7 million installed worldwide.[4] He received the Order of the British Empire in the 2005 New Year's Honours list for services to banking as "inventor of the automatic cash dispenser".[5] Shepherd-Barron told the BBC that he was inspired by chocolate vending machines.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shepherd-Barron
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Wow your right on that, I never knew that there were 6 types, and everyone of them can hold a British Passport, BUT unless there actually a British Citizen they cant work or reside permanently in the UK,
Its complicated aint it!!!
If it comes up on a quiz, you will know the answer
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:45 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

We did our own packing (as distinct from loading) mainly because we'd been unhappy with the standard of packing by Pickfords when we came out to Canada in '06. We thought we could do a better job. The other reason was cost, since Upakweship were much cheaper than the commercial firms.

We did have a couple of breakages, but the damage was not as costly as Pickford's.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 9:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think if we'd decided to take all our books we wouldn't have been far short of that (in volume, not in value). But we've been fairly brutal and sold or donated anything that we decided we likely would never read again.*

I'm looking at the stacked remnants as I type... about 100 cu. ft. I'd say.

*the concept of needing to look up something in a book is outmoded in these internet days.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 9:36 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think if we'd decided to take all our books we wouldn't have been far short of that (in volume, not in value). But we've been fairly brutal and sold or donated anything that we decided we likely would never read again.*

I'm looking at the stacked remnants as I type... about 100 cu. ft. I'd say.

*the concept of needing to look up something in a book is outmoded in these internet days.
OH is still working. Tools of his trade.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 9:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

OH is still working. Tools of his trade.
Hmm. I dithered over several volumes connected to my (soon to be former) profession, but did a few test searches and it's all online now.

I have of course retained all my own scribblings. (Even though they're online too).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.