Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old May 9th 2015, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Agree with this - rents in Leeds, York and Manchester are high, because these cities are both doing well financially. It's not all poverty and ferrets up here ;-)

Rodney I loved your post. In the run-up to the election, I was trying to explain about the importance of the NHS to people here. They kind of get it, but having never lived under a private system, some have ideas that it might be a better way to go. Makes me want to tear my hair out! But then I remember that they couldn't know what we know, because they haven't had our experiences.
Hi Sally,
That is very true about the way the NHS is taken for granted by so many, what makes me angry is when you hear of all the young alcoholics that end up in A&E after a heavy night on the town after drinking themselves half to death, they are picked up from the pubs and clubs taken to hospital in an ambulance getting top notch care by paramedics on the way, taking up so much valuable time from the Doctors & Nurses at the hospital, and preventing ambulances from responding to (REAL) emergencies,
In America of course Im sure drunks are taken to hospital now & then, but the difference is once these drunks are taken to the hospital and receive medical care and are then discharged, just the one time would teach them that they had better not make a habit of this behavior, ----- cause a few weeks later they will get a big itemised bill from the hospital of around $1,000 or more, and then later a nice big bill from the ambulance service of at least $500 or more, just for an hour or so treatment, but I think in America the police would just take drunks to the drunk tank in jail for the night, and after they have slept it off there released in morning --- if there lucky, but if they give the cops any trouble at all then they will be arrested, finger printed and charged with disturbing the peace or something or something, -------------- in my opinion if the NHS over here charged the young and middle age binge drinkers for there treatment at the hospital --- and charged for there trip by the ambulance too, ---- well the problem would be solved in no time at all!!!! ---- that, and the police over here getting a lot more tougher on these no hopers would help a lot too.

Sally you made me laugh when you said its not all poverty and ferrets up here
Old May 13th 2015, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

Rodney, do you read the Las Vegas Review Journal? If so did you read about the lawsuit against the city because a guy who got arrested and put in jail for DUI? He in actuality was having a stroke and they threw him in jail, believing he was drunk, so he got no treatment for his stroke for several days. Way to go!

Man jailed after suffering stroke sues Vegas police | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Cheers
I wasn't surprised cheers, sounds about right for Las Vegas
Old May 15th 2015, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

How is Don doing?
Old May 15th 2015, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

After attending two funerals in the span of two weeks and traveling many many miles I'm ready for a long rest.
Off to Alaska next week.
Cheers
Old May 15th 2015, 8:52 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

After attending two funerals in the span of two weeks and traveling many many miles I'm ready for a long rest.
Off to Alaska next week.
Cheers
Last week, I went to the funeral of a childhood friend's dad. We were best friends from 13 to 18, and then we drifted apart but when I came home we reconnected and we're still "besties." Anyway, watching her give a reading at the funeral was a profound and moving experience. Almost 40 years of friendship, and we both have more lines and wrinkles, but I still love her.

Got home to find out that my uncle had died, so have another funeral next week. I guess this is just the way it goes as you get older.

Hope you have a nice rest!
Old May 16th 2015, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Last week, I went to the funeral of a childhood friend's dad. We were best friends from 13 to 18, and then we drifted apart but when I came home we reconnected and we're still "besties." Anyway, watching her give a reading at the funeral was a profound and moving experience. Almost 40 years of friendship, and we both have more lines and wrinkles, but I still love her.

Got home to find out that my uncle had died, so have another funeral next week. I guess this is just the way it goes as you get older.

Hi Sally,
Sorry to hear of the death of your friends Dad and your Uncle too, how sad,
since I have been home my Sister died of Cancer first, and that was just months after I came home, and 5 months ago my Uncle died after suffering with parkinsons for 13 years.
Old May 16th 2015, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Off to Alaska next week.
Cheers
I love Alaska, what part are you going to, is it a holiday for you and wife, how long will you be there for, and do you know anyone there? anyway when you go have fun and relax.
Not sure how Don and Tippawan are doing, I will have to send them an email and find out.

Last edited by jasper123; May 16th 2015 at 3:06 pm.
Old May 19th 2015, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Well hello all, I have been away a while just getting on with living in the UK, plus travelling back to US a couple of times.

I have read posts since the end of March so I know about Celtic Spirit's return to Belfast and accidents there, and return to Dallas for now--Celtic, I do hope you are recovering well. What a start to a return to the UK!

Also know about Dunrovin's car accident and glad to see from the separate thread of get well wishes to him that he is recovering well.

Anything else major happening? All other old BE friends ok I hope?

The spring here in Gloucestershire has been lovely, though this week looks set to me more typical, rainy and cooler. It has been amazing to see the flowers open, trees come into leaf, the wonderful changing skies, and enjoy them every day.

And to hear the familiar birdsongs of blackbirds, robins, and more. They make my heart swell with joy.

Though I must say there are fewer birds, in residential gardens at least, than in my childhood. (I love cats, but they say it is the huge number of pet cats here now, they kill thousands of birds. Owners should put bells on them.)

It's bluebell time--I have seen some small patches but not yet got myself to a bluebell wood (we are still living car-free and renting for special trips). Must hurry before they are over.
Old May 19th 2015, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I came upon this site today - I have no idea who writes this stuff, but it is damning at it's best. The most frequently used word is 'chav', the description of which I am unsure, but know it is not complimentary! Going by this list, there is no place in the UK to live. Unless you are a chav.
Top 10 Worst places to live in England 2015 | iLiveHere - Britain's worst places to live - Page 10
Old May 19th 2015, 3:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I came upon this site today - I have no idea who writes this stuff, but it is damning at it's best. The most frequently used word is 'chav', the description of which I am unsure, but know it is not complimentary! Going by this list, there is no place in the UK to live. Unless you are a chav.
Top 10 Worst places to live in England 2015 | iLiveHere - Britain's worst places to live - Page 10
Just looked at that site, load of crap it is.. Every town seems to be in there, and they are all full of drugs, fu***ng chavs, gangs, and most of the places are all no-go area. I suspect the writer has a lot of problems with the UK, perhpas can't get a visa to live here. I certainly don't recognise the Bournemouth on there.
Old May 19th 2015, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
I love Alaska, what part are you going to, is it a holiday for you and wife, how long will you be there for, and do you know anyone there? anyway when you go have fun and relax.
Not sure how Don and Tippawan are doing, I will have to send them an email and find out.
We are going on our first cruise. DW went on a trip to Hawaii about 60 years ago but that was on a scheduled ship so not really a cruise.
I find the idea of a cruise strange from a financial point. You pay the fare then a couple of hundred for taxes and port fees, then they charge over a hundred for tips, then if you want to visit some of the restaurants they charge for that. Then there is a charge for insurance and the list goes on and on. Fortunately my wife is paying but I don't like to see her gouged.
We are going on the "inside passage" which includes Juneau, Ketchican, Skagway and Victoria (been there many times).
This maybe our one only cruise.
Cheers
Old May 19th 2015, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Well hello all, I have been away a while just getting on with living in the UK, plus travelling back to US a couple of times.

The spring here in Gloucestershire has been lovely, though this week looks set to me more typical, rainy and cooler. It has been amazing to see the flowers open, trees come into leaf, the wonderful changing skies, and enjoy them every day.

And to hear the familiar birdsongs of blackbirds, robins, and more. They make my heart swell with joy.

Though I must say there are fewer birds, in residential gardens at least, than in my childhood. (I love cats, but they say it is the huge number of pet cats here now, they kill thousands of birds. Owners should put bells on them.)

It's bluebell time--I have seen some small patches but not yet got myself to a bluebell wood (we are still living car-free and renting for special trips). Must hurry before they are over.
In todays BBC there is a related item about the decrease in birds and... that they put down to the gardens being paved over so as to provide a place for "the car". I think it is a shame. There are many side effects including drainage and heat among other things.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32780242

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; May 19th 2015 at 5:51 pm.
Old May 19th 2015, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Just looked at that site, load of crap it is.. Every town seems to be in there, and they are all full of drugs, fu***ng chavs, gangs, and most of the places are all no-go area. I suspect the writer has a lot of problems with the UK, perhpas can't get a visa to live here. I certainly don't recognise the Bournemouth on there.
Loved your response! Makes you want to stay in bed and pull the blankets over your head! Harsh words about little Dawlish - I have met a few - very few - chav types - but mainly genteel older people.
Old May 19th 2015, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

It was weird. There were almost no tears because maybe it was because the deaths were anticipated. Also the relatives attending were happy to see each other after so many years of being far away from each other.
I can't speak for the UK but I think that funerals have changed over the years. No longer being morbid and lots tears. Maybe it would depend on the circumstances?
In both deaths they were wanting to pass on. (94 & 86 and widows)
You get these new terms - open casket - embalmed - viewing etc.
Cheers
Old May 19th 2015, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

In todays BBC there is a related item about the decrease in birds and... that they put down to the gardens being paved over so as to provide a place for "the car". I think it is a shame. There are many side effects including drainage and heat among other things.

The decline of the British front garden - BBC News

Cheers
Interesting, cheers. Yes, I think this paving over the front gardens has indeed added to the loss of birds. And it's a shame visually too….

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.