British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

HighTide Apr 17th 2011 8:35 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9310126)
No Gab, unfortunately. :(

I think they are seasonal??

There are some Jersey Royals around but still rather expensive. Was told they will soon come down in price. We have loads of mint in the garden to go with them. Have started making mint tea with the leaves. Supposed to be very good for you. Digestion and relaxation. Sounds good to me.

:thumbup:

windsong Apr 17th 2011 8:37 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9310512)

Do you know, even just hearing and seeing "foil" rather than "aluminum" makes me feel a certain sense of relief, similar to what I imagine I would feel when I set foot on British soil again ;)

chriswinter Apr 17th 2011 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9310512)

I still call it 'tin foil'....;)

bandrui Apr 17th 2011 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9309989)
Sorry to change the subject but ooohhhh I have just eaten my first new potato since coming back here, and oh it was YUMMY!!! :lol:

Mmmmm, new potatoes. With mint?

Beedubya Apr 17th 2011 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9310524)
Beedubya...When do you have dinner:)

At lunch time LOL!! :lol:

I did say

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

but now apparently it is:

Breakfast
Dinner
Tea

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Beedubya Apr 17th 2011 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by chriswinter (Post 9310584)
I still call it 'tin foil'....;)

Here's one I have to get out of, I say Gladwrap (Aussie) here it is cling film.....

I say real estate, here they say estate agent

I say station wagon, here they say estate car

At least I say tomarto not tomatoe!!! :lol:

cheers Apr 17th 2011 9:44 pm

Property that I like.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29240836.html

Can't make up my mind.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-18489009.html

sallysimmons Apr 17th 2011 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9310590)
Here's one I have to get out of, I say Gladwrap (Aussie) here it is cling film.....

I still say cling film although no one knows what I mean :lol:

The other day I told someone I had cleaned up a mess with kitchen roll and they looked at me as if I had two heads. I still don't know what it's called here.

windsong Apr 17th 2011 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9310659)
I still say cling film although no one knows what I mean :lol:

The other day I told someone I had cleaned up a mess with kitchen roll and they looked at me as if I had two heads. I still don't know what it's called here.

Good for you, Sally!

After 34 years here I still say "tomaaaaato" not "tomeyto" - AND PROUD OF IT! I get some quizzical looks but I stand upright, very confidently, and dare them to say anything lol!

bandrui Apr 17th 2011 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9310602)

Second one.

trottytrue Apr 17th 2011 11:43 pm

Second one is nice but how far from town is it.:)

cheers Apr 18th 2011 3:12 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9310733)
Second one is nice but how far from town is it.:)

Village is about one mile.

Town is six miles.

cheers Apr 18th 2011 2:59 pm

Off-topic posts from over 50's/60's thread

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9311842)
Years ago I never aligned the UK conservatives with the US Republicans, but now I do . . .

It sounds as if they are trying to dismantle the very foundation the UK was built on. Terrible!

How much influence do you think America has in the UK?

When the US corporations see how much they have to pay for labor in the UK they probably say 'thats got to go'. When they see how much vacation they have to pay they sometimes close down their UK operation. It would be interesting to see how many US companies pull out of the UK. I know of a few. (think Cadbury manufacturing that they moved to Poland when Nestle? bought them. They didn't move all the manufacturing there but it is a start) Look at what the US did to SAAB the car manufacturing and Volvo. The Swedes had the highest standard of living in the world and the greed of the US CEO's couldn't handle that.

windsong Apr 18th 2011 3:05 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9311863)
How much influence do you think America has in the UK?

When the US corporations see how much they have to pay for labor in the UK they probably say 'thats got to go'. When they see how much vacation they have to pay they sometimes close down their UK operation. It would be interesting to see how many US companies pull out of the UK. I know of a few.

I think the UK conservatives keep an eye on what the republicans are doing in the USA and then think about trying to pull off whatever they are doing in the USA in the UK. The UK has always seemed to follow the USA in certain respects but I think that is much more true these days than ever before.

Perhaps it is just that I have been in the USA waayyy too long and am cynical ;)

I can see why the USA corps would want to pull out of Britain. I tend to think it would be wonderful if they flew to h*** in a handbasket personally and stayed out of "our" UK BUT I know that it would not be good for Britain to lose those corporations. The public need the jobs.

formula Apr 18th 2011 3:07 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9311834)
I'm sure you're right about the cuts. The conservatives have always wanted to dismantle the NHS and they will take another good whack at it over the next few years under the guise of deficit reduction.

One thing we can guarantee with Cameron is that he won't dismantle the NHS: he used it a lot with his son and saw what good work they do. What he does intend to do is to cut down those non EUs who seek out free NHS treatment (by various means) especially those desperate to get to the UK to get their existing health conditions treated. This governmnent have already said the NHS needs to get back to being a NATIONAL health service and not the WORLD health service it has become.

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9311834)
But whatever they do, they won't manage to create a system as unfair and cruel as the one here.

I've been reading recently about how unfair the US health system is. I was shocked. It must be one of the only western countries that doesn't have a national healthcare system! Even India has one! I've also been reading the US based student doctor forums and read how many doctors don't want a national health service for America because their potential income would drop:eek:

People go bankrupt when they are ill! How did it ever get that bad?