Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 19th 2015, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

I agree. i was hooked from the first one I saw!
Old Apr 27th 2015, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Well Well Hmmm ---- the latest news today from the NHS, they have decided to
ask everyone over the age of 75 to sign a D.N.R. form (do not resuscitate)
they have told G.P.'S to organise end of life packages to be sent out to all over 75 year olds in the country, for people to look over and sign!!! --- incredible
GP'S are already calling there patients at home and asking them if they will agree to sign a D.N.R. document,
Well who thought it would come to this ---- OMG ---- I used to feel safe in this country, now after hearing this ---- not anymore!!!
Im thinking that in a lot of hospitals they are already letting older people die, and very few have signed anything, it seems that the doctors here have a lot of power, your life rests delicately in there hands,
So today I was thinking logically about this situation, and I came up with the conclusion that when someone reaches 75 in the UK just about all are retired, getting there state pension every week and lots will also get a private company pension too, the government also gives us pensioners free prescriptions with no limit, a free bus pass, £200 to £400 per year heating allowance, and lots of other little means tested extras,
well this all costs the government billions every year, so would it not make a lot of sense to bring down the sheer numbers of older people, just think of the fortunes they could save!!!! they can no longer afford to wait for older people to die, in the governments view they live way too long these days, 100 is the new 70 now, ---- well at least Im alright jack at the moment, --- Im only 70, so I dont need to start shivering in my boots for another 5 years.

Last edited by jasper123; Apr 27th 2015 at 10:39 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Heck the Govt should ask everybody over the age of 25 to sign and see the reaction they get, better still make D.N.R. a standard for Everyone, let everybody die...

I know end of life care is expensive but not everyone is the same, some people are in poor shape by age 50 and for others its 85, in my opinion it all depends how many serious problems a person has, some peoples lives are prolonged and its basically cruel as they live a miserable painful existance.

The News is a bit of a dissapointment, Im expecting to work till Im 70, maybe I should retire now at age 59...

Are the Conservative party looking for votes, is that the deal? LOL...
Old Apr 28th 2015, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123....I would not sign it. What if you have a heart attack many people have to be resusitated and are fine, here you can sign a living will which gives them directions as to what you want them to do. 75 is still very young they want people to work longer but not live longer......older people will be afraid to go to hospital......to me it's like telling people forget living past 75 we don't want you to....
Old Apr 28th 2015, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Trottytrue. I'm 71 now and (other than my accidents) am in really good health. I can spend 6 hours a day judging dog shows standing mostly on concrete floors. I drive a large powerful car (Infinity FX) and have never had an accident nor speeding ticket. I can drive 200- 350 miles in a day to get to a show. I study breeds and have a great memory Thank God. I have a dear friend in Santa Fe who had a quadruple bypass four years ago and he is as fit as a fiddle My parents lived into their late 80's in the UK without having annual checkups, bloodwork etc., that's simply not on. Very sad.........:-(
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
they have told G.P.'S to organise end of life packages to be sent out to all over 75 year olds in the country, for people to look over and sign!!! --- incredible
GP'S are already calling there patients at home and asking them if they will agree to sign a D.N.R. document,
Well who thought it would come to this ---- OMG ---- I used to feel safe in this country, now after hearing this ---- not anymore!!!
Im thinking that in a lot of hospitals they are already letting older people die, and very few have signed anything, it seems that the doctors here have a lot of power, your life rests delicately in there hands,
So today I was thinking logically about this situation, and I came up with the conclusion that when someone reaches 75 in the UK just about all are retired, getting there state pension every week and lots will also get a private company pension too, the government also gives us pensioners free prescriptions with no limit, a free bus pass, £200 to £400 per year heating allowance, and lots of other little means tested extras,
well this all costs the government billions every year, so would it not make a lot of sense to bring down the sheer numbers of older people, just think of the fortunes they could save!!!! they can no longer afford to wait for older people to die, in the governments view they live way too long these days, 100 is the new 70 now, ---- well at least Im alright jack at the moment, --- Im only 70, so I dont need to start shivering in my boots for another 5 years.
Link please.. doesn't seem to be making the news here.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No one can be forced to sign a DNR.

Its a totally personal decision and the most the NHS can do is make people aware that the idea of a DNR exists, which is fair enough as many people are unaware of the existance of such a thing. To force people to sign one is illegal. Personally I think they can be a very good idea, and I already have one, but they are personal choice.

Please post a link to the information, or at least let us know where you got it from.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 28th 2015 at 6:39 am.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 7:07 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness! It's not at all that way Rodney, please don't worry!

First of all, these are just guidelines, not yet implemented. Second, no-one is being forced to sign anything. Instead it's being suggested that doctors find out every patient's wishes. My next door neighbour is a GP and was telling me that 90% of medical expenditure in the UK is in the last few years of a patient's life - and in many cases, it's not treatment that the patient would have chosen had they still been able to choose.

So the idea is simply to ask people what they want.

Of course, according to the Daily Mail, WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!

Last edited by sallysimmons; Apr 28th 2015 at 8:27 am.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh my goodness! It's not at all that way Rodney, please don't worry!

First of all, these are just guidelines, not yet implemented. Second, no-one is being forced to sign anything. Instead it's being suggested that doctors find out every patient's wishes. My next door neighbour is a GP and was telling me that 90% of medical expenditure in the UK is in the last few years of a patient's life - and in many cases, it's not treatment that the patient would have chosen had they still been able to choose.

So the idea is simply to ask people what they want.

Of course, according to the Daily Mail, WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!
Hi Sally, yes I get your point, and I do understand that it must always be a personal choice, but GP'S and the NHS in general differs so much from region to region, city to city, and I have read recently that some GP offices already have there receptionists calling there over 75 patients at home and actually talking them into signing, and I just think of all the poor lonely pensioners living alone who have nobody to ask for advice, and people in there 80's and 90's are so trusting of everyone, especially there doctors and NHS, and many of these people are in perfect health, but what happens if they have a heart attack or stroke or something just as bad and they are rushed to hospital and then the staff discover that they have a DNR and they are just left to die, many people can survive if the medical staff at least tried to save them,
And yes I also agree its a good thing for some people who are now suffering with so much pain with an incurable disease and they have chosen not to be resuscitated, but at least it is them who chose this themselves while they were able to,
but some are too far gone and they are in so much pain that there reletives had to make the decision for them, to save them from going through more then they have too, and yes I understand that, and agree with it in those circumstances, the subject is such a grey area, and not good for everyone but good for some, in my opinion!!!!
I will not sign though,
Is there anyone that can find the story and post a link please ---- cause embarrassingly I don't know how to do it!!! it was all over the telly,
just google DNR story UK 27/4/15 and a lot of articles come up specifically relating to yesterdays news on DNR ----- thanks!!!

Last edited by jasper123; Apr 28th 2015 at 11:01 am.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 1:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

just google DNR story UK 27/4/15 and a lot of articles come up specifically relating to yesterdays news on DNR ----- thanks!!!
Death Panels: British Govt Urges Doctors to Ask Elderly Patients to Sign DNR Orders | LifeNews.com

Old Apr 28th 2015, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Novocastrian.

And whats rather strange is since the news broke in the newspapers and on TV news programs yesterday ----- today there has not been a single mention of the story anywhere!!!! which only leaves one to think that maybe the conservitives have put a block order on any future articles on this subject ----- until after the election, sneaky!!
they probably were very annoyed that the story leaked like it did, as they well know that its the pensioners that they always strive to keep as happy as possible ---- due to the well known fact that pensioners in the UK are the ones that are the reliable vote --- they can rely on the elderly to vote every election local or general, not saying they will all vote for conservitives but just saying most do vote period!!!! they don't want to piss off the elderly --- that's political suicide for any party!!!!

Last edited by jasper123; Apr 28th 2015 at 2:44 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 2:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Novocastrian.
Still no link to the quoted guidelines, and as they haven't made national news I really suspect they are someones figment of their imagination, let's face it that story is from a completely unbiased group.. isn't it..???
Old Apr 28th 2015, 2:36 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

No offence Novo...but that article contains no links to the actual guidelines either.. Also I just noticed all the prolife/religious links everywhere...eek

Last edited by Tirytory; Apr 28th 2015 at 2:42 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 2:41 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway...I don't think it's fair to target vulnerable groups elderly etc but I think it's something that most age groups could think about...what medical interventions would you want in any given situation?
Old Apr 28th 2015, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Still no link to the quoted guidelines, and as they haven't made national news I really suspect they are someones figment of their imagination, let's face it that story is from a completely unbiased group.. isn't it..???
Nope its straight from the British Government, dont forget when reading the article after clicking the link ---- also click on the read more link then you get the Mails story which is basically the same ----- just the facts mamm just the facts as the man in dragnet always said!!!

Tirytory
No I didn't see anything religous there at all, you wont find much of that here in England, oh hang on though --- I did notice the first story as you click on the link was written by an American reporter over here, he did mention obamacare, so yes that may be possible

Last edited by jasper123; Apr 28th 2015 at 3:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.