Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 22nd 2014, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Great, so Victorian shop owners lived over the shop. But there's a reason why so much empty space over shops currently exists: because it's not the norm any more, and hasn't been for some time. I suspect reasons are that so much shop space is leased rather than owned these days, so many shops are parts of "chains" rather than individually owned especially in urban areas, and much post-war redevelopment didn't take into consideration mixed use within the same building, perhaps because of flight to the "burbs" to live.

Or it will discourage people in urban areas from owning a car and using public transit/car sharing/bicycle etc instead.

The point is central government chose to allow more such development without (local) planning approval. That's a big clue as to the likely difficulty planning approval was to obtain for such conversions.

I see you moved the goalposts there.

The fact that there have been several government initiatives - for example, "Flats over shops" - over the last 15 years to convert space above shops into apartments suggests that there is indeed such space that could be converted.
I agree with you. Your quote is from this paper:
http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn03012.pdf

Also:
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...-9w3DeQBtpo7YA
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY WHEREVER YOU ARE!!!! AND A LOVELY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL,

I think there is at least one celebrity living or dead that we have never liked, ------ I think we all have one dont we? well my Dad could not stand Arthur Askey, whenever he came on our b&w telly he said oh no not him again
Well for me I have several, Phil Collins, Neil Diamond, Elton John, and a few others that I just could never stand there voices or them!!! total turn off, well there was another one that I ADDED to my (horrible) list since he became popular over the past few years on both sides of the pond and thats the Canadian Michael Bublei, never did like him or his voice, well guess what last night he had a special Christmas show televised from America, it was on channel 5, well it was on for an hour, I really didn't want to watch it but my Mum likes him and so of course we watched it ----- and thank goodness we did, he had a few good guests on and one of em was Barbra Striesand, wow she still has it!!!! after all these years she is still great, anyway getting back to Michael Bublie OMG he was absolutely fantastic, his voice sounded terrific, really in top form, and he was a wonderful performer on stage, I was really impressed!!!! so he has officially been taken off my (horrible) list
It reminds me of Barry Manillo, years ago when he was much younger I would listen to his voice and style of singing on the radio whenever they played one of his records and I never cared for him at all, just didn't like his style, well that all changed way back around 20 years ago on one of my visits home, me and Mum and a few of her friends went up to Brighton to see him, he had a special one night show there, it was one of his UK tours or world tours that he was on, anyway as I said I never really cared for his voice, but when I saw him on stage in his own show ----- he was just Amazing in everyway, a real performer, he put everything into it, and I was so impressed, and he just went on and on belting out song after song, his show lasted 3 hours, wow what a show!!!! from then on he definitely came off of my (horrible) list for good
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

In Melbourne's Beaumaris I lived in a huge flat over a fashion shop for 18 months. On one side there was a pizza place, and on the other a continental deli. At night in my bedroom at the back I could hear the scampering of rats, a bit of a worry when I first moved in, but they were not in my place.

Living in a shopping centre was very friendly and quite a buzz. I used to be given free pizzas from one side, and from the other side, plates of food ready prepared. The English couple who owned the deli even gave me a complete hamper for a picnic!!

So yes, I would advocate flats above shops, though above some hot food takeaways and cafes there could be the danger of fire, so difficulty with personal property insurance.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Seasons Greetings to you all from Rosie in Dawlish. I just wanted to let you know that I am no longer taking photos of my daily trails, as I rarely go on any now. I am taking down my Flickr site in early January, so if anyone wants any photos on there, please help yourself to them before that time. All the best.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 View Post
Seasons Greetings to you all from Rosie in Dawlish. I just wanted to let you know that I am no longer taking photos of my daily trails, as I rarely go on any now. I am taking down my Flickr site in early January, so if anyone wants any photos on there, please help yourself to them before that time. All the best.
Season's greetings back to you, Rosie!

Hope the reason for doing less trail walking and photographing is not infirmity or anything but just less time or changing circumstances….

Lovely to hear from you.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds View Post
Season's greetings back to you, Rosie!

Hope the reason for doing less trail walking and photographing is not infirmity or anything but just less time or changing circumstances….

Lovely to hear from you.
Hi - nothing wrong with me, I have finally settled into one place and am doing very little sightseeing now. Maybe next Spring I will take the camera out again, but for now I am enjoying planting fruit bushes and watching the bulbs grow! Which there are, here in mild Devon. It sure beats the Minnesota winters!
Old Dec 27th 2014, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - nothing wrong with me, I have finally settled into one place and am doing very little sightseeing now. Maybe next Spring I will take the camera out again, but for now I am enjoying planting fruit bushes and watching the bulbs grow! Which there are, here in mild Devon. It sure beats the Minnesota winters!
Ah ok, those are excellent reasons for less sightseeing!

Yes, these milder winters are a joy, always some green and even some flowers blooming. I was in NE Pennsylvania and there the winters were awful,while being, I believe way better than in Minnesota! So, I hear you. Though the very damp cold we are having now isn't so nice….
Old Dec 27th 2014, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was asked privately for the photo site link. Here it is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/islandwoman/

And the new site is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/duchessofdawlish/

Last edited by islandwoman120; Dec 27th 2014 at 9:03 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

To all my friends a belated Happy Christmas, and a Very Happy and Healthy New Year. After my cold I was busy catching up on Christmas.

Islandwoman 120....I really enjoyed all your pictures especially after the storm that caused such havoc along the coast. But you have much more important things to do now. It must be really exciting getting your garden sorted. Sad to say the growing season here on the East Coast of the US is so short we really have to make the most of it. I did plant nearly 100 bluebells in the little wooded area along the side of my house and also some daffs. I am looking forward to seeing them in the Spring. I would love to see some pictures of your garden once its finished. You have my email address so you can always send them to me. Always looking for inspiration.....

Jasper123..Must admit I have like and dislikes regarding so called Stars.....for a while many moons ago I was in love with Sasha Distel, went down to the London Palladium to see him. Probably no one even remembers him now. Must have been around 1964.
Hope your Mum is doing well and the both of you didnt over eat at Christmas.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 2:59 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue View Post
To all my friends a belated Happy Christmas, and a Very Happy and Healthy New Year. After my cold I was busy catching up on Christmas.

Jasper123..Must admit I have like and dislikes regarding so called Stars.....for a while many moons ago I was in love with Sasha Distel, went down to the London Palladium to see him. Probably no one even remembers him now. Must have been around 1964.
Sasha Distel was gorgeous Raindrops keep falling on my head...
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Islandwoman 120....I really enjoyed all your pictures especially after the storm that caused such havoc along the coast. But you have much more important things to do now. It must be really exciting getting your garden sorted. Sad to say the growing season here on the East Coast of the US is so short we really have to make the most of it. I did plant nearly 100 bluebells in the little wooded area along the side of my house and also some daffs. I am looking forward to seeing them in the Spring. I would love to see some pictures of your garden once its finished. You have my email address so you can always send them to me. Always looking for inspiration.....

Thanks trotty…..Happy Christmas to you too (and of course we are still in the Christmas Season, it is only the Eighth Day of Christmas today!) and a Happy New Year…

and to all my friends here on BE as well!

Trotty, bluebells and daffodils--what a visual feast you have to look forward to…we must get on with planting /buying some things in pots for our sun porch here..

Another family gathering today, and visitors tomorrow, the Christmas mayehm still not over!!
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Trotty - thanks for the kind words. I can assure you that if Dawlish has anything worth 'reporting' visually - I'll do that with you all in mind! But I want to concentrate - photographically at least - on plants, which is my number one passion, and I enjoy being in touch with botanists worldwide as a result of the plant photos. This photo site has widened my world and made me less isolated, and I appreciate it for those reasons. It is a commonality shared with people in every country I have visited or lived in, and a great ice breaker if one is needed. I learned a lot about Florida by joining their Native Plant Society, for instance. Perhaps we should open a botanical thread on BE for members to share their photos? I can open one via Flickr - would be a sub set of the existing account I hold? Any thoughts, any takers?
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:47 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trotty - thanks for the kind words. I can assure you that if Dawlish has anything worth 'reporting' visually - I'll do that with you all in mind! But I want to concentrate - photographically at least - on plants, which is my number one passion, and I enjoy being in touch with botanists worldwide as a result of the plant photos. This photo site has widened my world and made me less isolated, and I appreciate it for those reasons. It is a commonality shared with people in every country I have visited or lived in, and a great ice breaker if one is needed. I learned a lot about Florida by joining their Native Plant Society, for instance. Perhaps we should open a botanical thread on BE for members to share their photos? I can open one via Flickr - would be a sub set of the existing account I hold? Any thoughts, any takers?

Yes, I have often thought about opening a gardening thread. I have some interest in gardening and last year I came up with a new plan for my garden. Most of the hard landscaping has been done and I am now working on finalising my planting plan over the next little while. It is such a treat to be able to garden year round. Such a contrast from my Canadian garden.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1 View Post
Yes, I have often thought about opening a gardening thread. I have some interest in gardening and last year I came up with a new plan for my garden. Most of the hard landscaping has been done and I am now working on finalising my planting plan over the next little while. It is such a treat to be able to garden year round. Such a contrast from my Canadian garden.
I would definitely be interested in a gardening thread. I am a ham-fisted gardener and don't have as much success here as in the US (I posted some pictures of my NC garden previously).

I would be interested in what does and doesn't work here, composting and wormeries, transplanting, etc. I also like looking at photos for garden ideas (I do the Pinterest thing a bit, but that is reaching for the impossible!)

For those of us who live near each other, maybe even a plant-swap would be on the cards! I have more heather than you could shake a stick at! And hostas! And crocosmia!
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:14 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
I would definitely be interested in a gardening thread. I am a ham-fisted gardener and don't have as much success here as in the US (I posted some pictures of my NC garden previously).

I would be interested in what does and doesn't work here, composting and wormeries, transplanting, etc. I also like looking at photos for garden ideas (I do the Pinterest thing a bit, but that is reaching for the impossible!)

For those of us who live near each other, maybe even a plant-swap would be on the cards! I have more heather than you could shake a stick at! And hostas! And crocosmia!
I am new to Pintrest and have just spent too much time this morning looking at garden ideas. I think I might be hooked on it. Sharing ideas of what works etc would be great. As I said, I am working on a planting plan, but I find that because there is so much to choose from I am becoming overwhelmed with the options. IMHO designing a garden is much more challenging than interior decorating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.