Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 17th 2014, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

I know a lot of you love your small animals and I thought you would like this clip showing how much a lab could love.
The child with the Lab has down syndrome.
Another touching item.
This maybe a better clip.
Loving dog takes care of little boy with Down syndrome. [VIDEO]
Old Dec 18th 2014, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Trotty; It's really hard when the universe hands you one challenge after another.
Close your eyes from time to time and visualize the swelling going down and seeing well out of that eye, as well as the drops. I think ll will be well.
Trotty really glad you have your sight back. I had a feeling....
Old Dec 18th 2014, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my gosh, I asked the question about cards, and then somehow didn't see all these replies, the usual alerts didn't appear on my email--and not only that, but I missed the notes from Trotty!. And not surprised you send cards, Trotty--seems your sort of thing.

Welcome back, and how wonderful that you have got your sight in that eye again! I know you love to read, so apart from all the other inconveniences it must have been so hard…this is great news, and thanks for updating us!

Keep in touch!

Glad to know lots of others still send cards, and it's cool that the UK is the card-sending capital! I think it's a lovely tradition.

I am not too bent out of shape if I just get an email note in reply, or an electronic card (the Jacquie Lawson ones are indeed quite nice, Editha) because I know not everyone wants, or is able, to give the amount of time that is necessary to buying, writing, addressing and etc the cards. Especially if they are working full-time, which I have the luxury not to be. But it is lovely when I do get the physical ones popping back to me through the post.

Things are getting busier, my offspring are arriving from several different corners of the globe, so I may not have another chance to wish all my BE friends a VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS and all best for the New Year! Though now I see what things I miss when I don't check in, I will try to keep checking!

Last edited by between two worlds; Dec 18th 2014 at 8:34 am.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I thought this was touching

Cop buys food for woman stealing eggs - CNN.com Video

Can you believe this ( three days without food) can happen to a human being and in America at that!
Yes cheers that clip was very sad, as the woman cried, I cried too, but full marks to that Cop, what a nice man!!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2014, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading somewhere in the British press about how they are having trouble reviving the 'main street' in the UK.
I have a possible solution. ( pass the word along )
These vacant shops could be converted back to homes. There is a shortage of homes in the UK.

Cheers
Old Dec 18th 2014, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I was reading somewhere in the British press about how they are having trouble reviving the 'main street' in the UK.
I have a possible solution. ( pass the word along )
These vacant shops could be converted back to homes. There is a shortage of homes in the UK.

Cheers
Actually that has been discussed here in the past but I've not heard of anywhere that's implemented it.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Actually that has been discussed here in the past but I've not heard of anywhere that's implemented it.
There is a program, I think on Channel 4, with Phil Spencer called Phil's Empty Homes Giveaway where he was talking shop owners into allowing them (Phil and homeless people) to renovate empty flats above shops, of which there are thousands. Brilliant idea.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 2:15 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
There is a program, I think on Channel 4, with Phil Spencer called Phil's Empty Homes Giveaway where he was talking shop owners into allowing them (Phil and homeless people) to renovate empty flats above shops, of which there are thousands. Brilliant idea.
Why are there empty flats above shops?

That seems highly improbable to me, a simple soul infused with a lifetime of capitalism.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 10:32 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

That seems highly improbable to me, a simple soul infused with a lifetime of capitalism.
They need renovation. Bandrui is thinking of the charity Broadway, which has a division called Real Lettings. Phil Spencer is involved. The challenge is finding the funds to renovate.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 2:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Many may well be too small for the family of the shopkeepers, also many shops are just rentals so they don't want to move in. In many cases the flats have been empty for years and need quite a lot of refurbishments, the owners don't want the expense so they leave them empty.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

When we were considering buying a flat above a shop, we learned that many mortgage lenders don't like to give mortgages on them.

It is a crying shame because there is so much of this prime real estate in town centres, and that scheme mentioned above is a good one, there should be many more such schemes and maybe we wouldn't need to build on all these green fields.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 6:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
When we were considering buying a flat above a shop, we learned that many mortgage lenders don't like to give mortgages on them.

It is a crying shame because there is so much of this prime real estate in town centres, and that scheme mentioned above is a good one, there should be many more such schemes and maybe we wouldn't need to build on all these green fields.
I think that in some towns in the US, planning laws almost REQUIRE that commercial developments include residential plans for the upper floors, especially in town centres. Mixed use like that adds to the vibrancy of towns, optimizes land use, and provides convenient accessible living accommodation for people who work in towns/cities.

The Americans do get some things right.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think that in some towns in the US, planning laws almost REQUIRE that commercial developments include residential plans for the upper floors, especially in town centres. Mixed use like that adds to the vibrancy of towns, optimizes land use, and provides convenient accessible living accommodation for people who work in towns/cities.

Sometimes..................................
Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving

Indeed! Actually some new developments here in UK town centres are planned like that, mixed use, with shops etc on the ground floor and flats above. This does indeed have all the benefits you mention.

I think the problems are more in using the older flats above shops, which of course would also make towns more vibrant etc but seems problematic….not sure why. Someone above said they are often in disrepair. And then there's this mortgage issue…but these things could surely be overcome.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 8:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Indeed! Actually some new developments here in UK town centres are planned like that, mixed use, with shops etc on the ground floor and flats above. This does indeed have all the benefits you mention.

I think the problems are more in using the older flats above shops, which of course would also make towns more vibrant etc but seems problematic….not sure why. Someone above said they are often in disrepair. And then there's this mortgage issue…but these things could surely be overcome.
I'm being educated here. I still can't really understand why a flat above a shop should be more in disrepair than any other flat of a similar vintage/location and why mortgage lenders would shy away from them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.