Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by windsong
Now that is beautiful!
I just love it, and I actually did feel disappointed when I saw that it was under offer. So silly... who knows when I'll get to the UK.

And now for something completely different : On this climate map for the UK you can click on any month or season, and any type of weather to see the differences. I clicked on sunshine in August over the 2 different averaging periods and it seems tht the UK is getting more sunshine lately .

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...ukmapavge.html
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:26 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by bandrui
Great photos Barb. I don't know Liverpool well but on a trip back to the Uk my cousin took us up to Liverpool from Stoke and we went to walk around the Albert dock. They had an exhibition of Rodin's scultures on... I was so surprised.
Why surprised at such culture in our fair city?

Lots of art galleries and museums in the City of Culture 08.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

I never pictured Liverpool that way. But now I know better!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:44 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

It's that commonly shared perception that it's not cultured up north.

Last night I watched the show 'Three in a Bed' which isn't what it sounds like. It's a competition between three B&B owners to see who has the best B&B (kind of like 'come dine with me' for hotels). Anyway, there was this southern couple, very posh, who had to go and stay in Blackpool for one night. The B&B they stayed at was one of those old-fashioned northern B&Bs with bingo and badly matching furniture and they clearly thought that's what the whole of the north was like. They kept saying "well, what goes in the north would never fly in Dorset" and "these northern customs are very hard to get used to."

Manchester is another fantastic arts center with so much going on. One of the reasons we loved little Kendal so much is that one small market town has 3 art galleries, and a fantastic arts center with a theater, cinemas, galleries, concerts etc. This Christmas, the town had a lighting installation by the famous artist Peter Freedman.

Yup, it's not all grim up north
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

I just love it, and I actually did feel disappointed when I saw that it was under offer. So silly... who knows when I'll get to the UK.

And now for something completely different : On this climate map for the UK you can click on any month or season, and any type of weather to see the differences. I clicked on sunshine in August over the 2 different averaging periods and it seems tht the UK is getting more sunshine lately .

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...ukmapavge.html
Gosh, I didn't realize that England got so much more sunshine than Scotland, particularly in the southern parts.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:21 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Gosh, I didn't realize that England got so much more sunshine than Scotland, particularly in the southern parts.
It's a big advantage the south has over the north. I was surprised to see how much more sunshine there was in the south east, compared to the south west.

Bev
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:26 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It's that commonly shared perception that it's not cultured up north.

True!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Darn it, someone put an offer on my house.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/det...0894d042adad37
So here are a couple of alternatives.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29319238.html

Why I like it: It is new and clean. Against: on an estate but the neighborhood looks good. Well kept.

and another

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-18425859.html

For: looks good and if you look at street view the neighborhood is adorable (that seems like a faminin word doesn't it). Anyway it looks good inside.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Another, sorry sold

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29319226.html

OK this maybe too close to the main road but windsong will like that there a bus stop there.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29319025.html

OK, last one then I've got to get ready for my trip to California.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29319037.html

Last edited by cheers; Apr 12th 2011 at 2:46 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Is anyone else here thinking about renting an apartment/flat, when contemplating their move back to the UK? If renting an apartment is on your list, what type and where would you be looking? I ask this because buying is totally out of the question for me and wonder if anyone else is thinking along similar lines as me.
#1... Can't afford it
#2... I would be over 65, (when & if I return), and be living alone.
#3... Being over 65, would not be able to keep up w/maintenance as an owner, nor would want the responsibility, (been there done that). Though for now I'm in pretty good physical condition..but who knows?!

Personally I have no interest in a 'bed-sit' or a 'house-share'...just a 1-2 bedroom, very close to public trans. and easy walking distance to the shops. I've also been investigating the 'retirement' communities as well in England. Right now I live in a senior citizen community...was a major move in that direction for me, just less than 2 years ago. I decided I wanted life easier for me, less maintenance and less responsibilities the older I get. I actually like it!! My rent is all inclusive of bills...maintenance guy takes care of any problems I may have (and he's timely too!). If I choose to I can have my 1 bedroom apt. completely cleaned once a month..but so far have not elected to do that, can do that myself. But I love that this option is available to me should I want it. Not the least to mention a really good security system and elevators/lifts! 2 lovely parks directly across the street from me as well, public trans. just about at my doorstep and walking distance to quite a few stores, pizza places, restaurants and Chinese take-out. So as you can see I have nothing to complain about my present living arrangements....but I am deeply, deeply disturbed (seriously) about the direction that my loved adopted country appears to be taking.
Currently I am in conversations with Americans, that I know both young, old and in-between and they feel the same. They too are seriously disturbed about the 'direction', some contemplating leaving the country as well. Already a number of my 38 yr old son's friends have left..to England and Germany...permanently. Artists, entrepreneurs and small business owners.

Can anyone else here identify with some of the same things I have shared here? Am not trying to engage in a slam-fest of the USA...just if others can share their thoughts and/or knowledge of renting in England and if current events are 'disturbing' to others here and if that might be one of a number of determining factors to make the move.
Just an aside...bennies on the other side...is not on the horizon for me..as I would return with a bit of 'change' in my pocket. Though I have no desire to pay high rent...would like to keep some of that 'change' in an account...my 'safety net' in my Golden Years!
Looking forward to any responses, advice or suggestions.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Is anyone else here thinking about renting an apartment/flat, when contemplating their move back to the UK? If renting an apartment is on your list, what type and where would you be looking? I ask this because buying is totally out of the question for me and wonder if anyone else is thinking along similar lines as me.
#1... Can't afford it
#3... Being over 65, would not be able to keep up w/maintenance as an owner, nor would want the responsibility, (been there done that). Though for now I'm in pretty good physical condition..but who knows?!

Personally I have no interest in a 'bed-sit' or a 'house-share'...just a 1-2 bedroom, very close to public trans. and easy walking distance to the shops. I've also been investigating the 'retirement' communities as well in England. Right now I live in a senior citizen community...was a major move in that direction for me, just less than 2 years ago. I decided I wanted life easier for me, less maintenance and less responsibilities the older I get. I actually like it!! My rent is all inclusive of bills...maintenance guy takes care of any problems I may have (and he's timely too!). If I choose to I can have my 1 bedroom apt. completely cleaned once a month..but so far have not elected to do that, can do that myself. But I love that this option is available to me should I want it. Not the least to mention a really good security system and elevators/lifts! 2 lovely parks directly across the street from me as well, public trans. just about at my doorstep and walking distance to quite a few stores, pizza places, restaurants and Chinese take-out. So as you can see I have nothing to complain about my present living arrangements....but I am deeply, deeply disturbed (seriously) about the direction that my loved adopted country appears to be taking.
Currently I am in conversations with Americans, that I know both young, old and in-between and they feel the same. They too are seriously disturbed about the 'direction', some contemplating leaving the country as well. Already a number of my 38 yr old son's friends have left..to England and Germany...permanently. Artists, entrepreneurs and small business owners.

Can anyone else here identify with some of the same things I have shared here? Am not trying to engage in a slam-fest of the USA...just if others can share their thoughts and/or knowledge of renting in England and if current events are 'disturbing' to others here and if that might be one of a number of determining factors to make the move.
Just an aside...bennies on the other side...is not on the horizon for me..as I would return with a bit of 'change' in my pocket. Though I have no desire to pay high rent...would like to keep some of that 'change' in an account...my 'safety net' in my Golden Years!
Then something like this may suit http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29448265.html they sell for under £100,000 especially the one bed, this one is rented and two beds, over looking the sea and all the walks along it.
This one is less and one bed. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32563058.html
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:40 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Then something like this may suit http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29448265.html they sell for under £100,000 especially the one bed, this one is rented and two beds, over looking the sea and all the walks along it.
This one is less and one bed. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32563058.html
Just wondering how she would fit in? Would an outspoken 65-year-old woman with an American accent blend into a retirement community in Colwyn Bay, North Wales? Not knocking it - I'm just curious. (Nice places BTW).
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thanks Mummy ...yes, that's pretty much what I'm looking for and what I too have been looking at via Rightmove and retirement developments/organizations in England via other websites. The above links are in Wales, correct? But I have to say...England is the place for me!
I think I get confused when looking at these types of flats...as it will talk about as if for sale or rental ..the leaseholds?
Last night I spent quite a bit of time in Poole...travelling up and down the roads there via Google maps & the white circle in the road ..after finding a neat flat for rent in a fairly new semi-high rise...the rent for a 1bed. flat was 565 cpm (not a retirement community). I believe Poole near to Bournemouth. I saved that place on my desktop rightmove.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:59 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

#1... Can't afford it

I think DDL's thread on here is just what you are looking for.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671926

I was a residential manager at one of these places for 4 months and my sister was one for about 4 years I think.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:16 pm
In the pink

Thanks Mummy ...yes, that's pretty much what I'm looking for and what I too have been looking at via Rightmove and retirement developments/organizations in England via other websites. The above links are in Wales, correct? But I have to say...England is the place for me!
I think I get confused when looking at these types of flats...as it will talk about as if for sale or rental ..the leaseholds?
Last night I spent quite a bit of time in Poole...travelling up and down the roads there via Google maps & the white circle in the road ..after finding a neat flat for rent in a fairly new semi-high rise...the rent for a 1bed. flat was 565 cpm (not a retirement community). I believe Poole near to Bournemouth. I saved that place on my desktop rightmove.
Poole/Bournemouth area is lovely. One of the warmest spots in England. Lots of retirees there, and probably would be quite diverse. I believe you would fit in well. The Poole area is very expensive though - a lot of wealthy people retire there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.