Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

greenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Sorry, still haven't got the hang of this! My last reply was to Fulwood, re. Dublin Airport!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenlane
Sorry, still haven't got the hang of this! My last reply was to Fulwood, re. Dublin Airport!
When replying to a post...hit the blue 'Quote' tab bottom right of said post.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If you hit the "Quote" button in the post you're responding to, the post will appear in your message and it all becomes clearer.

Don't apologize, some people have posted 1,000's of times and still don't use the "quote" button (or the multiquote function).

Of course, we have no idea who they are talking to but that's their problem.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

greenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When replying to a post...hit the blue 'Quote' tab bottom right of said post.
Aha! I think I've got it, by jove I've got it (...have I? Hope so!). Thank you very much for your help, Jerseygirl.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Aha! I think I've got it, by jove I've got it (...have I? Hope so!). Thank you very much for your help, Jerseygirl.
Yay!!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you hit the "Quote" button in the post you're responding to, the post will appear in your message and it all becomes clearer.

Don't apologize, some people have posted 1,000's of times and still don't use the "quote" button (or the multiquote function).

Of course, we have no idea who they are talking to but that's their problem.
And thanks to you, too, Dunroving! Did you enjoy your visit to the Niagara region? A little bit of wine tasting, perhaps?
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Yay!!
Yes!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's very airy and pleasant. We flew into and out of Dublin last year, and it was all very easy. How was Blackpool airport?! I expect the flight was very quick, too. We've flown from Liverpool to Belfast and back a few times and that only takes about 28 minutes or something....a couple of months ago we caught the overnight ferry from Belfast to Birkenhead and luckily the seas were calm...you really wouldn't have known you were at sea! The ships are great, too, so comfortable, such a difference to the boats that used to sail between Holyhead and Dun Laoghaire in the 70's!
Blackpool airport is small but very close to Preston. I flew on a propeller plane which never knew still existed. It took longer to get our luggage than the flight was! The luggage as it came on carousel - well the door that allows suitcases to be moved onto carousel - well the door had to be hand cranked. step back in time but made it much easier for my friends to pick me up.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fulwood
Blackpool airport is small but very close to Preston. I flew on a propeller plane which never knew still existed. It took longer to get our luggage than the flight was! The luggage as it came on carousel - well the door that allows suitcases to be moved onto carousel - well the door had to be hand cranked. step back in time but made it much easier for my friends to pick me up.
I didn't know propeller planes are still around, either. That mechanism for the door is probably more reliable than some of the automated carousels! We had to wait for about two hours at Amsterdam airport about 12 years ago because there was an almighty problem with the conveyor belts.....resulting in lots of unhappy and tired passengers. I like small airports too, for the easiness of getting in and out of them.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know propeller planes are still around, either. That mechanism for the door is probably more reliable than some of the automated carousels! We had to wait for about two hours at Amsterdam airport about 12 years ago because there was an almighty problem with the conveyor belts.....resulting in lots of unhappy and tired passengers. I like small airports too, for the easiness of getting in and out of them.
Hah don't mention baggage conveyors etc to me! Have just arrived back in US--left from Heathrow's spiffy new terminal 2--very elegant and streamlined-except that, just our luck, the baggage conveyor/sorter broke, and our bags never got on the plane!! They are stuck at Heathrow with 2,000 others.

We are so lucky to be coming back to our own place, where we have left some clothes! Others must be having to go shopping etc. But still...no word yet of when it will turn up.

Otherwise, it's nice to be back in our small town in North-east PA --familiar places, faces etc--but I am not regretting our move back to being based in UK...
Old Jun 24th 2014, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

And welcome, greenlane! lovely to have you here.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by between two worlds
And welcome, greenlane! lovely to have you here.
Thank you ... Lovely to be here! For many years I was unable to talk to anyone here (in Canada) of my homesickness (they wouldn't have understood and also I didn't want to 'diss' their country), and if I, rarely, mentioned it to people at home in the UK they would say, oh you're so lucky, Britain is not like it used to be, etc., etc. Then I found this website and bingo, and realised that I wasn't the only one feeling as I did.

You mentioned the new terminal building at Heathrow (officially known as "The Queen's Terminal" - have to be careful which word to put the emphasis on!...), saw that the Queen opened it today, presumably en route to her visit to Belfast. That was too bad that you experienced the hiccup with the baggage - hope you are reunited with yours soon. Great, though, that you don't have to go and buy emergency clothes, etc.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 1:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you ... Lovely to be here! For many years I was unable to talk to anyone here (in Canada) of my homesickness (they wouldn't have understood and also I didn't want to 'diss' their country), and if I, rarely, mentioned it to people at home in the UK they would say, oh you're so lucky, Britain is not like it used to be, etc., etc. Then I found this website and bingo, and realised that I wasn't the only one feeling as I did.

You mentioned the new terminal building at Heathrow (officially known as "The Queen's Terminal" - have to be careful which word to put the emphasis on!...), saw that the Queen opened it today, presumably en route to her visit to Belfast. That was too bad that you experienced the hiccup with the baggage - hope you are reunited with yours soon. Great, though, that you don't have to go and buy emergency clothes, etc.
Welcome.

There are plenty of like minded people here...so rant away if you wish.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Welcome.

There are plenty of like minded people here...so rant away if you wish.
Thank you!
Old Jun 24th 2014, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I wish I had found out more about my grandparents' lives, apart from the odd snippet it wasn't discussed at all. My Nanna was one of 13 cockney siblings, none of whom could stand eachother One emigrated to Australia and my mum and aunt eventually went over to visit his kids (he had died by then). My Grandad was a career soldier and I would have been very interested to learn more about his time in India.
Yes I know what you mean,
My Uncle Paddy was for decades the chief of police in Calcutta India, he spent a huge part of his life there in the British rule era and through the second world war years, and when he retired ---- I think it was around the mid 1950's he returned to England to live out the remainder of his life, he immediately bought a bungalow in a village not far from where I live called Catherington, a big place with a lot of land, he bought it for cash so I guess he had a few Bob!!!! but anyway I remember visiting him with my Sister and Mum & Dad shortly after he moved in to his new bungalow, I was around 10 at the time, and he reached into his pocket and brought out (two) 10 shilling notes and gave one to me and one to my Sister, our eyes lit up like the stars in the sky, funny how when your a child there are certain things and moments that you never forget, I can remember at that time I had never seen a 10 shilling note before, let alone a pound note!!!!! ----- to me 10 shillings was a huge amount of money, ---- and way back then it indeed was, I used to get a shilling a week pocket money, but that was only when Mum & Dad could afford it, other times it would be sixpence or nothing at all, ---- its true that way back then to most ordinary hard working people life was really hard, but somehow families struggled through, and most of the time the parents would make sure there was enough food on the table ---- if not for them at least for there kids!!! how amazing and resilient people back then were, I take my hat off to all of them!!!! no matter how hard life got they just got on with it!!!!

Greenlane --- a big welcome to our thread, we are a happy lot, and we not only give advice and info to people, but we really support each other in our low times and our high times, no matter what you want to talk about you will always find someone on this thread that will be only too happy to reply to you, ----- I always say that most general info or answers to certain specific or tech help can be easily found on google these days, --- but we on here also have more in depth knowledge about certain things from our own personel experiences, and so we all seem to have built a closeness to each other over the years, but we were all new on here once!!!

Last edited by jasper123; Jun 24th 2014 at 11:12 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.