Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 20th 2014, 8:30 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
Dun,
I think you have been visiting the US/Canada for a few weeks. Correct me if I'm wrong. If so what can you report?
Indeed, I was wondering which continent Dunrovin was on these days!
Old Jun 20th 2014, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
+2

War should be the absolute last option, How come its always America and the UK that takes on the problem, Im tired of seeing Americans and Troops from the UK getting kidded and injured, its a pointless and sad loss of life on all sides, Life is precious.
Actually Canada had a huge loss with the Afghan war! What a waste of young lives! It is still a mess it seems.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Actually Canada had a huge loss with the Afghan war! What a waste of young lives! It is still a mess it seems.
Like most wars there is a lot of money to be made by those who promote them.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 9:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Dunroving..don't know were you are in the US but would you ever think of moving back or do you think you are more settled in Scotland now.
Temporarily, maybe, but not permanently.

I turned down a very nice job opportunity in February because I can hopefully retire in 4 years if I stay here. After that, who knows if I will take a temporary position over there but as a lot of folks on this thread have commented, the health care and security blanket is better over here. If I had moved back it would have taken close to 10 years to be in the same financial position I'll be in here in about 4 years.

In the meantime there are always temporary fixes. I have three scholar visits planned between now and next summer plus at least two conference trips.

TBH. when I retire I think I'll be happy to potter in the garden and stop all this globe trotting.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Here is a refresher course if your returning to the UK

BBC - Travel - One woman, 17 British accents : Great Britain
love it! then spent a further half an hour on the rest of her things! the British food had me salivating and the reason I picked up almost a stone in two weeks while there!
Old Jun 20th 2014, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
Rodney,

I'm so glad you have a date for your surgery that is great news!

Do you know how long you will be in hospital and how long recovery time is?
Thanks NiHao, its not a big deal, these days having a pacemaker put in is quite common, and it only takes about an hour, and I go in at 8am and they normally send you home they say by the next day, so its quite a straight forward procedure, no I'm not at all worried about it, just happy that I'm getting it, I think its going to help my heart to work normally, instead of what its doing now,
anyway thanks to you and you fish and you john and you cheers and you Avril and feelbritish and monique and Linda and Dave and Beth and everyone else for your kind regards, ---- I did not expect such a lovely response, you know you are all sooooooooo fantastic, and not just the above people but everyone on this thread, and thanks again trottytrue/Avril for founding this lovely thread, its been through some tough times over the 5 + years since it started, a (LOT) of people have come and gone but it still lives, and thats thanks to everyone on here new and old that have stayed and kept posting from all over the world ---- and to all those fortunate ones like myself who have already made it across the pond, there's quite a few that have!!!! and a lot more are either in the planning stages or they are already packing there bags, and others want to come home, and a lot of them will come home but the time and circumstances may not be right or possible for them just at this moment,
Good luck to everyone and the most important thing I think is to always keep the dream alive ---- in your heart!!!
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Thanks NiHao, its not a big deal, these days having a pacemaker put in is quite common, and it only takes about an hour, and I go in at 8am and they normally send you home they say by the next day, so its quite a straight forward procedure, no I'm not at all worried about it, just happy that I'm getting it, I think its going to help my heart to work normally, instead of what its doing now,
anyway thanks to you and you fish and you john and you cheers and you Avril and feelbritish and monique and Linda and Dave and Beth and everyone else for your kind regards, ---- I did not expect such a lovely response, you know you are all sooooooooo fantastic, and not just the above people but everyone on this thread, and thanks again trottytrue/Avril for founding this lovely thread, its been through some tough times over the 5 + years since it started, a (LOT) of people have come and gone but it still lives, and thats thanks to everyone on here new and old that have stayed and kept posting from all over the world ---- and to all those fortunate ones like myself who have already made it across the pond, there's quite a few that have!!!! and a lot more are either in the planning stages or they are already packing there bags, and others want to come home, and a lot of them will come home but the time and circumstances may not be right or possible for them just at this moment,
Good luck to everyone and the most important thing I think is to always keep the dream alive ---- in your heart!!!
Take care,
Rodney.
Well said Rodney. It's not always as simple as just making a decision- everything has its right time.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123..Thank you, it's very kind of you to say those things but you know we were all involved back then, and we needed something extra to fill the needs for us oldies who had special concerns and we certainly shared a lot of information and ideas we had people in and out of the forum wanting information and reassurances that they were doing the right thing. I use to say we were like "Ships passing in the Night" and it's still that way maybe not as many but still people willing to help one another.

Some are luckier than others the road home is more direct but for some of us the road has many twists and turns and sometimes leads to a dead end. But we all try.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving..Sounds to me like you have the best of both worlds. Do you think once you retire you will stay in the home you have now or move 4 years is not a long time.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I'm sorry I left you out but we hardly get to know any news of things beyond our borders, certainly not troop losses, I know about the UK for obvious reasons.

A waste is right, plus is messes up all the lives of people left behind.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the journey from my home to the Medical Clinic - I am living in an awesome place for sure. Huge trees, lots of shade, benches to sit on, a Monkey Puzzle tree, and a lovely little Museum.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644869507930/
Old Jun 21st 2014, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
This is the journey from my home to the Medical Clinic - I am living in an awesome place for sure. Huge trees, lots of shade, benches to sit on, a Monkey Puzzle tree, and a lovely little Museum.
WOW they are amazing photos I especially liked that one of the bench in front of that very old tree with all those trunk extensions winding all around that bench absolutely amazing, good work, and thanks for posting and sharing them,
we will have to start calling you our resident photographer
Old Jun 21st 2014, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting, your pics remind us to look for the beauty all around us.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Today was Scarecrow Day in Starcross:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644875897259/
Old Jun 21st 2014, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

You sound a lot more upbeat and happy about where you are living! I would too because Dawlish seems a lovely place and one where we will definitely visit with our caravan in the future years when we retire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.