Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Then I will never get in unless I cheat
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I read quite a few articles on War Brides, some were lied to and expected nice homes and found themselves in shacks in the middle of nowhere. They didn't even have the money to return home, very sad. Off course back home many didn't get any sympathy because they had married yanks....
Many of them were Eastenders, pretty tough and resourceful. And you're right, most of them didn't have a clue what they were getting into. But once they were here, that was it, you had to make a go of it. Maybe thats an advantage to our wobbly moments of indecision in these modern times. Yes, we can go back...but should we etc.

If I can find my kindle I'll post the link to the book. It was truly fascinating and I could relate to so much of her emotions.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karrie72
Many of them were Eastenders, pretty tough and resourceful. And you're right, most of them didn't have a clue what they were getting into. But once they were here, that was it, you had to make a go of it. Maybe thats an advantage to our wobbly moments of indecision in these modern times. Yes, we can go back...but should we etc.

If I can find my kindle I'll post the link to the book. It was truly fascinating and I could relate to so much of her emotions.
That would be good.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That would be good.
Hopeless at computers/links blah blah.

But the book is called; 'The GI Bride' by Iris Jones Simantel.

She has a follow up to that about her marriage, how she settled in etc which I also loved called; 'Far From the East End.'

Really compelling reading for anyone interested in war history and immigration etc. We think we have it bad, but those ladies were really brave!

Last edited by Karrie72; Jun 18th 2014 at 9:05 pm. Reason: fat fingers
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

She has a follow up to that about her marriage, how she settled in etc which I also loved called; 'Far From the East End.'

Really compelling reading for anyone interested in war history and immigration etc. We think we have it bad, but those ladies were really brave1
Indeed! Thanks.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Indeed! Thanks.
They're great summer reads and un put downable!
Old Jun 18th 2014, 10:36 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I read quite a few articles on War Brides, some were lied to and expected nice homes and found themselves in shacks in the middle of nowhere. They didn't even have the money to return home, very sad.
Exactly this happened to a neighbor of mine back in the UK. During the war, she married an ever-so-charming Yank soldier who wooed her with gifts and sweet-talk about his "huge" property in South Dakota. Turned out it WAS a big house but hours' drive from any sign of civilization, in the middle of nowhere, with brutal winters, long summer droughts .... And he wasn't happy with her complaining about the life and turned quite abusive.

She was afraid to reveal the truth to her family back in Blighty, but after her husband died in the 80s she could return to her home country without shame... after putting up with a life she hated for 40-odd years!
Old Jun 18th 2014, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Exactly this happened to a neighbor of mine back in the UK. During the war, she married an ever-so-charming Yank soldier who wooed her with gifts and sweet-talk about his "huge" property in South Dakota. Turned out it WAS a big house but hours' drive from any sign of civilization, in the middle of nowhere, with brutal winters, long summer droughts .... And he wasn't happy with her complaining about the life and turned quite abusive.

She was afraid to reveal the truth to her family back in Blighty, but after her husband died in the 80s she could return to her home country without shame... after putting up with a life she hated for 40-odd years!
Wow! And she lived to tell the tale... There was a really good movie about war brides on netflix, sounds like your neighbor weblue
Old Jun 19th 2014, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Really compelling reading for anyone interested in war history and immigration etc. We think we have it bad, but those ladies were really brave!
I love to read and love World War II history so will definitely look out for those books. Thanks!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Fascinating stuff about Bletchley and the war brides etc.

I am so glad this thread is coming alive again--lovely to hear from everyone-- including trotty with another wise reminder to just get on with it (going home) if you possibly can!

It's great there are lots of posts again and I am glad windsong is sharing what is going on--I agree with Mallory and Mummy in the Foothills who have pointed out how stressful it all must be for her....let's cut her some slack...

She, like everyone, is welcome to post here--I hope she is wrong that we are "clannish"--I don't think so, and hope we show that in practice, to her and everyone.

Rodney, sorry to hear about your health issues...must be stressful.... hope it's all resolved soon.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Hello, Rodney, I think it must be nigh on a year or so since you had the monitor thingy inserted. Did that help with the doc's decision to install apacemaker? best wishes to you for the op.
Hi John,
Yes it was all the info that they got from the monitor thats inside me that led to the appointment I had recently with my cardiologist that made him decide that a pacemaker is what I need, the NHS is wonderful!!! and even if I do have to wait for the usual 6 to 8 weeks I dont think that is a long time at all, Im just very grateful for all the treatment Im getting,
Hope you and June are doing fine, take care,
Rodney.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about places to visit. The have just opened Bletchley Park, I would love to see it...
I went there last year while they were doing it up. I posted about it on this thread last (?) week. Fantastic place. The entry pass was £15 for a years pass. Well worth a visit.

EDIT Page 673 on this thread.

Last edited by formula; Jun 19th 2014 at 12:59 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

There is an exhibition on the Queen Mary where they have a cabin set up as it would have been for GI brides coming over. I just burst into tears when I saw it.
One of my relatives went as a GI bride. I was told that her father stood and wept saying that he would never see her again.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 1:40 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! And she lived to tell the tale... There was a really good movie about war brides on netflix, sounds like your neighbor weblue
Well, my neighbour always said those 40 years in America had left their mark on her... She had health problems that stemmed from her husband's refusal to believe she was sick--and his stringiness in not wanting to pay for tests & doctors.

She was so appreciative of the NHS! LOL, wouldn't let anyone ever whinge about it in her presence.

Last edited by WEBlue; Jun 19th 2014 at 1:44 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Formula...I went back and read your posting on 473 very interesting, I wonder if there is a book that goes into detail about the birds used in the War along with other less known facts.

I remember when I left the UK my parents were at the airport to see me off I often wonder what my Father was thinking he was quite old at that time 77, I really don't know what I was thinking I was caught up in the excitement of a life in Florida. If I had only known. I did return a year later he was really happy to see me and I was able to be with him when he died just a year later. I should have stayed and stood my ground 5 years later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.