Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:18 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by feelbritish
You cannot expect trains to go straight from Heathrow, England to Edinburgh Scotland!!! All trains will go through major trains stations like London, York, Reading, Crewe etc. Again I would recommend you travel on ahead to your destination and get a company to sort out your dogs. I did it with my dog and it was worth every penny spent. She in those days had to go into quarantine but I knew the day she was arriving and the kennels phoned to say she was safe! Same with my dog coming to Canada, she traveled from Heathrow to Vancouver and then on a small plane to where I was living and we got a phone call from the airport to say a "little girl" was waiting for me!

You will be so much more relaxed and less stressed if you let the professionals handle them for you! I cannot see you travelling across UK with 2 dogs in buses and trains. Perhaps hire a car if it is so important for you to have them with you on the plane. You are not doing them any favours btw having them with you straight away, they will sense your stress whereas professionals know how to handle them, they deal with hundreds of pets every year!
Amen.

At this point, we aren't planning on using a service but that is ONLY because we've got my husband's friend of 15 years who is willing to collect us and dogs at the cargo facility in Manchester. He and his wife live in Londonderry (the town we will be moving to). He was raised however in Chester, so he's well familiar with roads etcetera around Manchester. He also loves to drive. We've agreeed to pay for all petrol, plane or ferry fares, van rentals - whatever. He will know the safest way to get us all back home. And he's a dog lover also.

There is no other way I would attempt to do this on our own if we hadn't worked it out with Russ. I've humped my luggage through Heathrow, Gatwick, Belfast, Dublin - all those places way too many times. I've trained and bused to get across the UK and over the water to Northern Ireland. It's incredibly, immensely draining. I was terrified of causing injury or death to one of our dogs if we tried it on our own.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong, here is a new idea for you! Why not see if Queen Mary has opening or cancellation for your dogs and sail on her in July? When you get to Southampton take taxi to car hire and drive to Edinburgh? If you use Enterprise they will meet you at the ship!

You can then have 5 days to relax and it can't be much more than you would pay on the airlines!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Amen.

At this point, we aren't planning on using a service but that is ONLY because we've got my husband's friend of 15 years who is willing to collect us and dogs at the cargo facility in Manchester. He and his wife live in Londonderry (the town we will be moving to). He was raised however in Chester, so he's well familiar with roads etcetera around Manchester. He also loves to drive. We've agreeed to pay for all petrol, plane or ferry fares, van rentals - whatever. He will know the safest way to get us all back home. And he's a dog lover also.

There is no other way I would attempt to do this on our own if we hadn't worked it out with Russ. I've humped my luggage through Heathrow, Gatwick, Belfast, Dublin - all those places way too many times. I've trained and bused to get across the UK and over the water to Northern Ireland. It's incredibly, immensely draining. I was terrified of causing injury or death to one of our dogs if we tried it on our own.
Windsong hope you are taking note of this!!!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Amen.

A friend is indeed meeting me on arrival if I fly into either Manchester or Edinburgh. I don't think it is worth the headache of making Heathrow my final destination and working my way up to Scotland myself.

With this being the case, BA will change planes at Heathrow en route to EDI and that is something I was trying to avoid for the pets but it can't be helped. I am still investigating other "good" airlines that might fly into Manchester AND be authorized to drop pets there.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 17th 2014 at 12:31 am.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:36 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
A friend is indeed meeting me on arrival if I fly into either Manchester or Edinburgh. I don't think it is worth the headache of making Heathrow my final destination and working my way up to Scotland myself.

With this being the case, BA will change planes at Heathrow en route to EDI and that is something I was trying to avoid for the pets but it can't be helped. I am still investigating other "good" airlines that might fly into Manchester AND be authorized to drop pets there.
If you are going to live in Scotland, then just fly into Edinburgh.

And without being cheeky, I do hope this is a IRL friend whom you have met before. Not just an internet acquaintance who might back out on you at the last moment.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to live in Scotland, then just fly into Edinburgh.

And without being cheeky, I do hope this is a IRL friend whom you have met before. Not just an internet acquaintance who might back out on you at the last moment.
I beg your pardon????? And what is an IRL?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I beg your pardon????? And what is an IRL?
In real life.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Seems neither BA nor Virgin is approved to drop pets in Edinburgh. Those are supposed to be the two best airlines for pets. Neither is approved for Manchester either - according to the list here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...air-routes.pdf

Delta is approved for Manchester but I just don't know their reputation with animals.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

I've been giving this thread a lot of thought, particularly in view of the nasty comments from some posters and the fact that little, if anything, is done about it.

It's very clear to me why this thread gets few newcomers. It's FAR too clannish. There's a little clan on here that think they own the thread. It's a shame. I have noticed this thread dwindle quite a bit over the last year. Of course, those who do join it - the few that do - are accepted by the clan so long as they think the way the clan members do. And some of those newcomers, in an effort to "belong", automatically agree with the clan members.

Of course, not everyone here participates in the clan, but nevertheless there is a clan.

It's really very dysfunctional. Anyway, this is what I was thinking about for the last 30 minutes while I ate dinner.

Sociology and psychology at its best.

Having said that, it's not a bad thread, all things considered. So that's a new bone for some of you to chew on but don't expect me to respond. These are just my thoughts and now I am done with it. Back to my move!

Last edited by windsong; Jun 17th 2014 at 2:47 am.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Having said that, it's not a bad thread, all things considered. Back to my move!
Aye! I was just trying to be helpful.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Aye! I was just trying to be helpful.
Cheers, none of that was directed to you in any way. You are probably one of the most helpful and neutral people on this thread. I will add "kind and compassionate" to that list, too.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 17th 2014 at 2:54 am.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been giving this thread a lot of thought, particularly in view of the nasty comments from some posters and the fact that little, if anything, is done about it.

It's very clear to me why this thread gets few newcomers. It's FAR too clannish. There's a little clan on here that think they own the thread. It's a shame. I have noticed this thread dwindle quite a bit over the last year. Of course, those who do join it - the few that do - are accepted by the clan so long as they think the way the clan members do. And some of those newcomers, in an effort to "belong", automatically agree with the clan members.

Of course, not everyone here participates in the clan, but nevertheless there is a clan.

It's really very dysfunctional. Anyway, this is what I was thinking about for the last 30 minutes while I ate dinner.

Having said that, it's not a bad thread, all things considered. So that's a new bone for some of you to chew on but don't expect me to respond. These are just my thoughts and now I am done with it. Back to my move!
I'm a reader of this thread, only occasionally a poster for obvious reasons but seriously? No one's been rude, people have simply made suggestions that for one reason or another you don't like. This thread has been going for years in one form or another and is most certainly not dysfunctional.

There is no clan. There are some posters who have got used to others and use this thread, and others to chat and pass on info in a style they understand. Posters come and go, fit in where they can, take what they want and generally give back. It's a free cyber discussion board, you can decide you don't like someone's reply but you can't tell them not to post. Don't put people's backs up, you'll end up with no response, whether good or bad. Even the kindest of hearts get frustrated eventually.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm a reader of this thread, only occasionally a poster for obvious reasons but seriously? No one's been rude, people have simply made suggestions that for one reason or another you don't like. This thread has been going for years in one form or another and is most certainly not dysfunctional.

There is no clan. There are some posters who have got used to others and use this thread, and others to chat and pass on info in a style they understand. Posters come and go, fit in where they can, take what they want and generally give back. It's a free cyber discussion board, you can decide you don't like someone's reply but you can't tell them not to post. Don't put people's backs up, you'll end up with no response, whether good or bad. Even the kindest of hearts get frustrated eventually.
You and I will have to agree to differ. In my opinion calling someone's posts a "soap opera" is CERTAINLY rude, at least my parents would have thought so and taught me similarly. Maybe not to you, though. I wouldn't dream of calling someone's dire circumstances a soap opera. I wouldn't be so cruel. But that's me and thank G** I have the class that I have!

Clan, indeed!

I said I wouldn't respond but I did - but only this one.

I hope there is an END to the rudeness here and I sincerely hope no one else will ever again be the brunt of it.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone has been very helpful and patient with you. Some have tried to tell you that many are getting fed up of your attitude...and now you come out with the above comments.

Just about everyone who has contributed to this thread are nice people...they come on BE to help others. I think you are being very unfair not only with the above comments...but with some of the comments you have posted in other posts today.

If you want people to continue to help you...you should think very carefully about the tone of your posts. Most of us are very sympathetic to the position you find yourself in...we are doing our best to support you but you in turn must do your bit too.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.