Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 16th 2014, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Mallory
I think you need a valid British passport to open a bank account in the UK. So be careful you have everything sorted out.
Thanks, Mallory. This is good to know. Opening a bank account was one of the queries I had re the passport.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks perthomeschool and spouseofscouse,
Last night and today I have been having bad pains in my chest and I got real dizzy today and so I called the Doctor in to the house, he examined me and said that he will call the hospital today and ask them to put me on the emergency list to have my pacemaker put in ---- rather then the routine list that Im on now, so I may not have to wait the usual 6 to 8 weeks.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Last night and today I have been having bad pains in my chest and I got real dizzy today and so I called the Doctor in to the house, he examined me and said that he will call the hospital today and ask them to put me on the emergency list to have my pacemaker put in ---- rather then the routine list that Im on now, so I may not have to wait the usual 6 to 8 weeks.
What a worry for you.

They will get you into hospital quickly and you'll then be as good as new.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about the chest pains Jasper, that's not good Pleased that your doctor is on the ball though and with him on your side pushing for an earlier appointment, you'll hopefully get in much earlier.

I plan on being a regular pest, I mean guest, on this thread so if people would like to call me Beth instead of having to type out my stupidly long board name then that's cool . Or, as I seem to have been christened on the Oz forum, SOS
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What a worry for you.

They will get you into hospital quickly and you'll then be as good as new.
Thanks Jerseygirl,
I think my Mum is more worried about me then I am, which really doesn't help with HER recovery, Im worried about her, I try always to cover up my health issues when she is in the room, I tend to not let her know too much of whats going on with me, but having to call the Doctor in today kind of blew that!!!
I get my heart condition from my Dad who died of a massive heart attack at age 72,
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need a valid British passport to open a bank account in the UK. So be careful you have everything sorted out.
That can't be right... the majority of the population doesn't have a British passport. Proving residence is what is needed.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
That can't be right... the majority of the population doesn't have a British passport. Proving residence is what is needed.
I think they require photo ID. I wanted to transfer a large amount to pay for a property...I had to go into the Nat West with photo ID before they would make the transfer.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jerseygirl,
I think my Mum is more worried about me then I am, which really doesn't help with HER recovery, Im worried about her, I try always to cover up my health issues when she is in the room, I tend to not let her know too much of whats going on with me, but having to call the Doctor in today kind of blew that!!!
I get my heart condition from my Dad who died of a massive heart attack at age 72,
Mums are natural worriers - and I bet she knew you weren't well before the doctor came. Not much we can hide from our Mums
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think they require photo ID. I wanted to transfer a large amount to pay for a property...I had to go into the Nat West with photo ID before they would make the transfer.
Lloyds Bank says "passport or ID card". So no requirement specifically for a British passport and something like a Drivers License will suffice.

http://www.lloydsbank.com/banking-wi...-to-the-uk.asp
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:50 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Lloyds Bank says "passport or ID card". So no requirement specifically for a British passport and something like a Drivers License will suffice.

Lloyds Bank - Banking With Us - Moving To The UK - New To The UK
Sorry for the wrong advice WS. I have just read so many time on here of people showing their pp to get a bank account.

Could she show an American driver license to get a UK bank account?
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The usual deal is "proof of identity and proof of address"
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the wrong advice WS. I have just read so many time on here of people showing their pp to get a bank account.

Could she show an American driver license to get a UK bank account?
Good to know a passport is not mandatory but what do people use for an ID card in the UK? I imagine it has to have a photo but I don't have anything other than passport. Not sure USA license would work. I may hand it back before I leave anyway.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Not fair. I loved those black, hard backed, passports. I can't wait to get out of the EU and get those back.
Me too. Mine was issued about 1955.
I just thought that I would just show them my birth certificate and hide the old passport so I can keep it.

Then there is the question of being in England in the next life and starting over. I have to think about that one

Cheers
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Me too. Mine was issued about 1955.
I just thought that I would just show them my birth certificate and hide the old passport so I can keep it.

Then there is the question of being in England in the next life and starting over. I have to think about that one

Cheers
Ha ha! Cheers, I feel as if I am entering the next life in going back to Britain!!

I love the old blue book passports, too. There is something about them that is VERY British-looking.

In fact, I still have the old cancelled passport I had before my "current" blue book passport which is now expired, too. My British passports are precious to me, cancelled or not.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 16th 2014 at 3:00 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
The usual deal is "proof of identity and proof of address"
I wonder what I can use when I may live in a house share for a while. I won't be paying utilities so wouldn't have mail addressed to me. Not sure getting a letter from a friend would help in this case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.