Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by mikelincs
when I started in 1964 we were paid by cheque, within about 10 years it was bank transfer. There were a lot of people having to open bank accounts then as many people only had things like post office accounts.
The only other time I have been paid weekly was when I was at uni and used to work on a casual basis for the DSS (as it was then) in the holidays. There we used to get a giro on a Friday which we had to take over to the post office to cash. Bit like being on the dole and cashing a giro... benefits aren't paid like that any more either...
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
In the usofa the monthly term is used, as you know, whereas in the uk weekly is used, or was when I left there. Example, we were paid each Friday and rent, insurance was collected weekly. The rent man came door to door to collect as did the insurance man and milkman and paperboy? And so on.
I think you, like the rest of us, are stuck between the two cultures.
I don't think that many people put money in the meter under the stairs for electricity any more in the uk or do they?
A thought here, which is related, do workers in the uk get their wages in cash? My guess is that they don't. I think they are a jump ahead of the USA and have their wages go to their checking account by way of a direct deposit. I prefer the cash method of receiving wages. Impractical I know but it would be nice to have the cash in your hand for a brief moment.

Cheers
The Brits advertise the sale of new cars with a weekly price, I think it looks more affordable to some consumers, Im sure payments are made monthly. buyer.

I think of money on a monthly basis and I think that's what most Brits do...

The UK are early adopters, they were using direct deposit in the 70s, in 94 when I was last employed as a worker in the states I was getting paid by check (Cheque) I have a feeling that's how it still is today for many private companies here, I see Car Dealers hand out checks to their employees on the 1st and 15th... I'm guessing Govt local and federal use direct deposit...

I used to love getting paid in cash every Friday lunchtime, to see that paper money and coin in that blue envelope with a little window was a great feeling...
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

I used to love getting paid in cash every Friday lunchtime, to see that paper money and coin in that blue envelope with a little window was a great feeling...
Yes it has the feeling of 'thats real' money.

Nowadays we are just clerks, we see the money come into our bank accounts and we forward it on to the gas, utility, cable TV, phone ect. and we get whats left.

I think the new trend is, we don't forward the money they just snatch it out of our account. Its called automatic payments I think.

We need to rethink who is getting our money and adjust our obligations.

Of interest to some of you, I got my gas bill on line this morning and for the period March 15 to April 15 it $57.70 or £34.42, which I think is comparable to what some of you are paying in the UK.

Cheers
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Well, who would ever have thought it! I just got a job - and a pretty good one, too! Now what to do!!

I seriously think I will only stay on the job three months at most - or may be only a month and a half before I go back to the UK.

I am quite frankly a bit torn as to what to do. I wanted to get the dogs back before it gets too hot here and the airlines refuse to take them. If I do that, it means I have to leave by the end of May - which I still might do anyway. I start work next week so I can still work for six weeks if I decide to follow through and leave by the end of May.

The alternative is to wait until the first part of October when the airlines start flying animals again after it begins to cool down.

My heart wants to go back by the end of May but it makes more business sense to stay until October. If I stay, I can resolve a few issues (things I'd like to take back, etc.) and also have a nice buffer of cash to take back so that when I get a job over there, I can hopefully rent a place immediately - not quite sure how that works over there yet, though.

On the other hand, I have waited so long, I want to go by the end of May.

What to do!!!

PS - Did any others have a sort of "winding down" year before they went back to the UK?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong, you have waited so many years to move back - another 6 months will go by so quickly. I think all round for dogs, you, and financially it's best to stay on. save as much as you can, get self started and then adios America..
Old Apr 18th 2014, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong - great news about the job. I had 5 winding down years before moving back. It took me two years to sell my stuff as I lived in the boonies and had to take stuff into the nearest city to sell them - estate sale, yard sales, consignment sale and the last few months, private sales. And I had to be emotionally ready to leave which was rough on me as I had made wonderful friends. It is not easy starting over, no matter how much help is waiting at this end; it is a major culture shock. Given the opportunity to make decent money, I would take it and then you won't be strapped for cash, there or here. Your dogs will thank you as they won't have to be parted from you other than on the flight over.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Windsong, you have waited so many years to move back - another 6 months will go by so quickly. I think all round for dogs, you, and financially it's best to stay on. save as much as you can, get self started and then adios America..
Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Windsong - great news about the job. I had 5 winding down years before moving back. It took me two years to sell my stuff as I lived in the boonies and had to take stuff into the nearest city to sell them - estate sale, yard sales, consignment sale and the last few months, private sales. And I had to be emotionally ready to leave which was rough on me as I had made wonderful friends. It is not easy starting over, no matter how much help is waiting at this end; it is a major culture shock. Given the opportunity to make decent money, I would take it and then you won't be strapped for cash, there or here. Your dogs will thank you as they won't have to be parted from you other than on the flight over.
Agree with both these posts. It makes sense to stay as long as you can and save as much as you can. I know the UK has a much better benefits system/safety net than the US - but still - you wouldn't want to go over there broke. It makes sense to save so you have a good "cushion" for starting over there.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:55 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Well, who would ever have thought it! I just got a job - and a pretty good one, too! Now what to do!!

I seriously think I will only stay on the job three months at most - or may be only a month and a half before I go back to the UK.

I am quite frankly a bit torn as to what to do. I wanted to get the dogs back before it gets too hot here and the airlines refuse to take them. If I do that, it means I have to leave by the end of May - which I still might do anyway. I start work next week so I can still work for six weeks if I decide to follow through and leave by the end of May.

The alternative is to wait until the first part of October when the airlines start flying animals again after it begins to cool down.

My heart wants to go back by the end of May but it makes more business sense to stay until October. If I stay, I can resolve a few issues (things I'd like to take back, etc.) and also have a nice buffer of cash to take back so that when I get a job over there, I can hopefully rent a place immediately - not quite sure how that works over there yet, though.

On the other hand, I have waited so long, I want to go by the end of May.

What to do!!!

PS - Did any others have a sort of "winding down" year before they went back to the UK?
Having them as we speak!

About that new job - there's a reason it came along when it did. I say don't mess with the karma.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Having them as we speak!

About that new job - there's a reason it came along when it did. I say don't mess with the karma.
Exactly!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Friday at the seaside. I guess the churches are empty:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644071292892/
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Good Friday at the seaside. I guess the churches are empty:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644071292892/
Is it a holiday?
Not many people about.
I went out and sat on a rocking chair on the porch but I came back inside because it was too hot.
Thanks again for the pictures. No pictures of trains?
Cheers
Old Apr 18th 2014, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Is it a holiday?
Not many people about.
I went out and sat on a rocking chair on the porch but I came back inside because it was too hot.
Thanks again for the pictures. No pictures of trains?
Cheers
Atheist! It's Good Friday today. I know - church and state, and I agree with that. But over here it is a selective situation - some shops closed, some not. Enough visitors - school half term + Easter + trains running again. Today the trains blew their horns as they came into the station, just as they did the day the track reopened. They were everywhere - coming down the street in droves from the parking lots - sorry - car parks - at the upper end of town. Bothering the wildfowl which are nesting, eating ice cream and dropping litter. Next week they will have gone, until Summer. Can you tell I am not too keen on tourists - at least the bucket and spade type, even though I understand the attraction of the south west. And the sunshine, of which we have had a great deal lately.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 10:56 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

All the shops were open here in Bournemouth, M&S, Tesco as well as those aimed at tourists. Town centre was busy as were the parks.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Gone are those days of tranquility there was something nice about Wednesday being half day and Sundays shops being closed. It gave everyone time to wind down now it seems people are always on the go. I liked the more relaxed way of a few years ago.

I am always annoyed when I see how much trash people leave behind after events of any sort. They should be made to clean it up. When children see parents dont care they grow up with this same attitude and with all the news media coverage of the warming planet you would think some time should be given to how untidy we have become, it all has an effect on the Earth on nature in the end its the little things that count.

Islandwoman 120 Enjoyed the pictures. After the snow of a few days ago and the cold it was a welcome sight.

Happy Easter to all of you.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

I hope you all had a happy Easter.

We packed a picnic and went to a lake. No grass, just desert type of environment. We enjoyed the potato salad, ham on Hawaiian sweet rolls and strawberries on angel food cake with cream.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.