Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I haven't been getting updates recently either - I can read that I am not the only one. Guess it is a temporary glitch. Thanks for the nice comments about the photos - I enjoy taking them as I am usually doing so with you all in mind - especially for those in the desert states!
Me too, just lately sometimes Im notified and sometimes not, No biggy I always check in.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
between two worlds.....Happy to see you venturing out and joining a group. I think most of my older friends in the UK do much better when they get out and do something and think the same applies no matter where you live. I have one thats in a choir another than is part of a gardening club and another who has started genealogy classes. I do have one that tends to live in the past and doesnt want a computer and doesnt like to join groups and since her husband died she does like to look back not forward. I dont care were you are its important to do something to keep your mind occupied. I still have my hopes but in the meantime I am not going to waste time feeling sorry for myself I have resumed my embroidery and also my genealogy and bought some raffia to make a basket. My Mother taught me when I was a child how to make mats so I thought it would be fun to see if I still had the brain cells to do it. I also do oil painting I shall have to try and put some on here. Not great but keeps me out of trouble.

Jasper123...I am still looking to see if I can find an email for Easterndawn I wish I knew how she was doing. Hows your Mum doing...... I bet she's enjoying those new windows. We still have at least 3ft of snow on the ground and its very cold.
Thanks Trotty, yes, it's important to have activities...and you sound as if you are keeping pretty busy....that's great!

Re the update thing, I am subscribed but haven't been getting update emails either, (which is why I'm only replying now).

Will have to check in more.

I too would love to know about Easterndawn....
Old Mar 7th 2014, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Islandwoman120...Thankyou for the pictures. Is there nothing that can be done to stop the landslide getting any worse. I have seen were they grow grasses and vegetation which helps. I have been looking but not finding many updates on the flooding and the progress being made. Newspapers and TV love to show all the flooding which is fine but they are not good on keeping you updated. Perhaps local newspapers cover it better.

I think when I read how you get on a bus to travel around it made me realize how lucky you are. Because you are a small Island it is so much easier, here in the US it would and does take forever to get from one place to another. A bus stop is not down the street it can be miles away.

Congratulations on your University venture keep those brain cells working
Thanks Trotty. The landslip is an old one that started in 2010 at an area of Torquay known as Oddicombe. The million pound mansion that fell down was sold sight unseen at an auction for a song, then fell down 9 days later. That original land slip has been followed by others in the same area, with a second home on the way down and others in the locality in danger. I was taken with the deep redness of the Devon soil, contrasting with the greenery of the vegetation. Before I knew the full story from the Internet, I was also very disturbed at the thought that someone lost their home, then I was told it was bought as a potential 'investment' in case there was a law suit to claim from. Not sure if that is reality or local gossip.
Regarding the flooding in Somerset - the news last night showed that the water level was going down, but now people are concerned that Cameron's glib talk about 'money being no object' is only that: talk. Because they have been offered a paltry sum only, so far. I think that flooded homes with all the detritus and toxins in them must be a very sad state of affairs. Now it is also ground water flooding - that is still going on, sometime miles from a river or water source, so the ground water level is very high. There was a documentary shown last night about flooded Britain, and a section of that was concerning Dawlish and the last Intercity train that went through the station just before the tracks fell. Scary thought. It was on Channel 4 - not sure if it is available to view from overseas, but here is the link just in case:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/storms-and-floods
Old Mar 7th 2014, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmum...I am going shopping tomorrow so I shall pop into Trader Joe's see what the sausages look like. As I said sometimes the US sticks a label on sausages calls them bangers and they bear no resemblance to English sausages. Course if an American is eating them he wont know the difference.

Fish n Chips 56....I will take a look at Tommy Moloneys always good to learn about another shop that sells UK stuff. When I lived in Chester the Tomato Sausages were really good loved the flavour. I also bought them when we lived in Sandbach had a wonderful outdoor Market and an indoor one. the Never thought anything of walking a couple of miles into town with the pram nowadays especially here in the US people dont seem to walk anywhere and they make me laugh when they try and park as near to the shop entrance as possible even have fights over a parking spot.....
Old Mar 8th 2014, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmum...I am going shopping tomorrow so I shall pop into Trader Joe's see what the sausages look like. As I said sometimes the US sticks a label on sausages calls them bangers and they bear no resemblance to English sausages. Course if an American is eating them he wont know the difference.

Fish n Chips 56....I will take a look at Tommy Moloneys always good to learn about another shop that sells UK stuff. When I lived in Chester the Tomato Sausages were really good loved the flavour. I also bought them when we lived in Sandbach had a wonderful outdoor Market and an indoor one. the Never thought anything of walking a couple of miles into town with the pram nowadays especially here in the US people dont seem to walk anywhere and they make me laugh when they try and park as near to the shop entrance as possible even have fights over a parking spot.....
Parking spots, Isnt that the truth...

I'm with you on the bangers too, Weve tried a few so called British Bangers over the years, they always seem to dissapoint, We know the real difference.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmum.....Went to Trader Joe's got some sausage will let you know what they are like after I cook them. They look OK but you can never tell.

Islandwoman120....I see they are repairing the trainline. But sad to see the mess that people are returning to after the floods, we tend to forget that. I was looking at some old pictures and I am struck that no matter were you live in the Uk the landscape has changed a great deal. Mainly for roads and housing without any thought of putting back some of the tree's that were taken up. In certain area's here were I live when they build a new estate they line the streets with tree's sadly that was done a few years ago now they work on the cheap. I think much more planning needs to go into developement of area's. I am not saying we shouldnt build but I do think more thought has to go into it. When some of the areas down South flooded it was not because of the area they lived in but area's further up the rivers. I worry that these politicians will be all talk and do nothing.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 12:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmum.....Went to Trader Joe's got some sausage will let you know what they are like after I cook them. They look OK but you can never tell.

Islandwoman120....I see they are repairing the trainline. But sad to see the mess that people are returning to after the floods, we tend to forget that. I was looking at some old pictures and I am struck that no matter were you live in the Uk the landscape has changed a great deal. Mainly for roads and housing without any thought of putting back some of the tree's that were taken up. In certain area's here were I live when they build a new estate they line the streets with tree's sadly that was done a few years ago now they work on the cheap. I think much more planning needs to go into developement of area's. I am not saying we shouldnt build but I do think more thought has to go into it. When some of the areas down South flooded it was not because of the area they lived in but area's further up the rivers. I worry that these politicians will be all talk and do nothing.
Same as here (queensland, Aus) there is no way to predict the sudden deluge, if its a one in 100/200 year flood you can't kniw where/ when it will impact because the landscape has changed so much.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Windsong I think you made a very smart decision to move from Mi to Co moving to where the Jobs are is always a smart move if you can do it !!!!
I wish you all the luck in the world in finding a Job that pays decent money, and my advice to you would be the same as old sparkles gave you, dont be in too much of a hurry to come home, I know the way you are thinking!!!! the more you think about coming home the desire of living in the UK again gets so great, and the more it absorbs your mind until you cant think of anything else, and thats fine!!!! but its no good coming home with just your airline ticket paid for, you dont want to start a new life back home with little or no money to tie you over for a while, it may take a very long time to get a job here, or you may be lucky, but either way you must have some money, at least a few thousand pounds, rent is very expensive here, and so are all the bills and then theres the council tax, and then you need to eat now and then too.
But good luck to you, and I hope you are able to get a Job soon, ---- one thing Ive heard about Colorado is that the wages are much higher then a lot of States ---- but what about the rent? is it higher there?
Take care,
Rodney
Hi Rodney. Yes, both wages and rents are higher here - good and bad. Thankfully, I can move in with my half-sister in England until I get settled but, still, I would like to take some money back with me so I can afford to move in to a rental as soon as I get a job there.

I go for a second interview for a job next week. Hope I get it and can then move on to the next problem! Getting to the job! The woman I live with lives 30 miles up a mountain, so you have to first get down the mountain (treacherous roads in bad weather and nasty curves) and then drive 20 miles to work. I can't believe I moved in with someone who lives up a mountain but that's how it is. I didn't realize until I got here. Sigh!

I have to work about a month so I can afford to move to the bottom of the mountain! Snow is not yet over in these parts so I have to endure the awful driving conditions going up and down the mountain for a while.

I cry every day. I am so utterly sick and tired of this country.

Last edited by windsong; Mar 9th 2014 at 8:19 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

You were suppose to have good weather today? Any reports
Old Mar 10th 2014, 2:16 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Hi Rodney. Yes, both wages and rents are higher here - good and bad. Thankfully, I can move in with my half-sister in England until I get settled but, still, I would like to take some money back with me so I can afford to move in to a rental as soon as I get a job there.

I go for a second interview for a job next week. Hope I get it and can then move on to the next problem! Getting to the job! The woman I live with lives 30 miles up a mountain, so you have to first get down the mountain (treacherous roads in bad weather and nasty curves) and then drive 20 miles to work. I can't believe I moved in with someone who lives up a mountain but that's how it is. I didn't realize until I got here. Sigh!

I have to work about a month so I can afford to move to the bottom of the mountain! Snow is not yet over in these parts so I have to endure the awful driving conditions going up and down the mountain for a while.

I cry every day. I am so utterly sick and tired of this country.
If it is that bad then perhaps it's better to just head back to UK and job hunt there - you mentioned before that you have enough for the flights back, and if you can live with your sister perhaps that's all you need for now
Old Mar 10th 2014, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123...I am still looking to see if I can find an email for Easterndawn I wish I knew how she was doing. Hows your Mum doing...... I bet she's enjoying those new windows. We still have at least 3ft of snow on the ground and its very cold.
Hi Avril,
Mum's doing pretty good, and so am I, She loves her new windows and so do I, we also had a new double glazed back door put in a few days ago, real strong with 5 locks that all lock at same time just by pulling up the handle,
Im looking forward to visiting my friend Art in Texas on May 5th for a month, it will be a nice rest for me and it will be the first time I have taken a holiday in three and half years since I have been back home,
Take care of yourself trotty,
thinking of you,
Rodney.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Avril,
Mum's doing pretty good, and so am I, She loves her new windows and so do I, we also had a new double glazed back door put in a few days ago, real strong with 5 locks that all lock at same time just by pulling up the handle,
Im looking forward to visiting my friend Art in Texas on May 5th for a month, it will be a nice rest for me and it will be the first time I have taken a holiday in three and half years since I have been back home,
Take care of yourself trotty,
thinking of you,
Rodney.
Erhum......you say you have been on holiday for 3 and a half years???
Old Mar 10th 2014, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was thinking last night, after seeing all the programs on BBC radio, of how fortunate you are in the UK to be able to have access to radio programs.

Cheers
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I was thinking last night, after seeing all the programs on BBC radio, of how fortunate you are in the UK to be able to have access to radio programs.

Cheers
Try NPR - you get great programs on that station. And you can tune in to podcasts for free - get them via iTunes. All types of interests represented there. I still listen to MN NPR and hear Garison Keiler.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Try NPR - you get great programs on that station. And you can tune in to podcasts for free - get them via iTunes. All types of interests represented there. I still listen to MN NPR and hear Garison Keiler.
Exactly right Rosie.

I listen to Public radio all the time, its stuff you wont hear anywhere else, Some Shows are Brilliant, its far better than anything else on our American Airwaves, a real education versus the one sided politics on Most stations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.