Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Nov 28th 2013, 5:46 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by windsong
Thank you, Mummy. It is a huge relief.

I have decided to take very little with me. Material things don't count in the scheme of things.

I am struggling to find a decent job here - with two business degrees / graphic designer / video editor / social media pro / top-notch promoter (music and art) / ex-college instructor! It's totally ridiculous. I would have more luck over there!

Somehow . . . we (my two dogs and I) are going home!
I think you would too. Even if it's work with temp agencies which can lead to full time or part time work. That plus some sort of top up credits will make it easier.
I agree about not bringing much, I had heard you can buy everything so cheap in charity shops and you can. That and local facebook pages, and small local independent shops that refurbish things like washers and dryers.
My Dh still can't get over how friendly and helpful everyone seems to be.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think you would too. Even if it's work with temp agencies which can lead to full time or part time work. That plus some sort of top up credits will make it easier.
I agree about not bringing much, I had heard you can buy everything so cheap in charity shops and you can. That and local facebook pages, and small local independent shops that refurbish things like washers and dryers.
There are web sites, for most things Cheaply - Preloved - used items going cheap -(then type in the county area) the same with Freecycle.com and the area. -everything free to a good home. Well worth checking out!
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Windsong, if you have to find a job in USA in order to get back there, and you say you have more chance of finding work in UK, would you not be able to borrow some money from her or from some friends just for your airfare and the doggies fares and look for work in UK? Once you sell up a lot of your possessions you may find you can also raise the cash that way!
My half-sister is not in that position.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:31 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

My half-sister is not in that position.
Have you done a budget on the minimum amount you would need to get yourself and your 4-legged family home at all windsong? If you know how much you need, it might help you see how to make it possible
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Have you done a budget on the minimum amount you would need to get yourself and your 4-legged family home at all windsong? If you know how much you need, it might help you see how to make it possible
Yes, I did that quite a while ago. Without a job, I can't do it. Still comes up short - a bit - so I need a job.

Last edited by windsong; Nov 28th 2013 at 11:39 am.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:44 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I did that quite a while ago. Without a job, I can't do it. Still comes up short - a bit - so I need a job.
that it happens soon for you then
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
that it happens soon for you then
Thank you. The longer I stay here, the deeper I sink.

The quicksands of the USA!
Old Nov 28th 2013, 9:21 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

This is what still blows me away every day. People here are lovely.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
This is what still blows me away every day. People here are lovely.
Yep Ive got to agree with both you and mummy, people here are so helpful, even compleat strangers, and once you get to know people its even better, it makes you feel good when so many people ---- not everyone though!!! seem to really care, its like a different world over here, if you come from the US you just are not used to this, its hard really to explain what I feel, I have just recently got over the stage of feeling like someone who really isn't from here, like someone who is just looking in and checking things out,
I used to think of people here as THEM, and the life here as that life that THEY have, and saying to myself whatever I was thinking at the time about the people here they they they, you know referring to them as they, but now I think US and WE ------ Im starting to connect to the people here and understanding them a lot better, I dont mean there accent ---- well that too,
but understanding what makes people here tick, I know everyone is different but I mean in general there a different breed over here, I just feel now like this is my country too, and this is my life too, Im starting to relax a little, not so uptight, but it sure took me a long time to get to this stage, 3 years, I wonder if Its just me and maybe Im just slow at blending in, who just used the word quicksand, thats a very good word to use for me leaving Las Vegas. I started to get that sinking feeling so I had to leave.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yep Ive got to agree with both you and mummy, people here are so helpful, even compleat strangers, and once you get to know people its even better, it makes you feel good when so many people ---- not everyone though!!! seem to really care, its like a different world over here, if you come from the US you just are not used to this, its hard really to explain what I feel, I have just recently got over the stage of feeling like someone who really isn't from here, like someone who is just looking in and checking things out,
I used to think of people here as THEM, and the life here as that life that THEY have, and saying to myself whatever I was thinking at the time about the people here they they they, you know referring to them as they, but now I think US and WE ------ Im starting to connect to the people here and understanding them a lot better, I dont mean there accent ---- well that too,
but understanding what makes people here tick, I know everyone is different but I mean in general there a different breed over here, I just feel now like this is my country too, and this is my life too, Im starting to relax a little, not so uptight, but it sure took me a long time to get to this stage, 3 years, I wonder if Its just me and maybe Im just slow at blending in, who just used the word quicksand, thats a very good word to use for me leaving Las Vegas. I started to get that sinking feeling so I had to leave.

I don't think it's you, Rodney. Not at all. Living in the USA can leave almost indelible scars emotionally and mentally that take a long time to fade.

I am so happy you are finally feeling as if you fit in 100%
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's you, Rodney. Not at all. Living in the USA can leave almost indelible scars emotionally and mentally that take a long time to fade.

I am so happy you are finally feeling as if you fit in 100%
Its good to know you understand windsong, Im not 100% yet but im slowly getting there, its getting better every day, just like the old song goes ---- Looking on the bright side of life!!!!
(WE) British are very good at that you know.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Its good to know you understand windsong, Im not 100% yet but im slowly getting there, its getting better every day, just like the old song goes ---- Looking on the bright side of life!!!!
(WE) British are very good at that you know.
So funny you should say that, Rodney. I talked to my half-sister on the phone yesterday and she tore a small strip off me for being negative. As eccentric as she can be, she is a fighter and she managed to put me on the right path again.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 9:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

So funny you should say that, Rodney. I talked to my half-sister on the phone yesterday and she tore a small strip off me for being negative. As eccentric as she can be, she is a fighter and she managed to put me on the right path again.
Yay, good for her. She sounds like she'll set you straight.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yay, good for her. She sounds like she'll set you straight.
She probably will

I have definitely changed my perspective over the last 48 hours. It is no longer "trying to prop up the hole I am already in". It is now "trying to find a way out of that hole and into the UK once and for all".

That being said, though, I still need a job to make it happen.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
So happy for you :-) you may yet beat me to the finale.
Moving to NYC is now out of the running due to cost.....$2500 for condo + utilities monthly. Sad but realistic. Closing still not assured but realtor is still hopeful prospective purchasers will get it sorted soon.
Sad but realistic...however maybe it makes things easier, fewer decisions...

Good luck re closing, prospective purchasers, etc. It's such a stressful time--I know. Breathe.......!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.