British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Nov 22nd 2013 7:28 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11003076)
:goodpost: all very good advice ......

as we get older 40+ our metabolism tends to start to slow down (for those that have noticed it get even worse towards 50, 60, 70's) and we tend not to be as physically active (key ingredient) as we were 30 years earlier.

Its all down to personal habits along with a combination of everything in moderation, with the simple rule of a balanced diet, to eat less each meal (maybe 5 meal portions per day instead of three), eat slower for sure as well as to try as best as possible to burn an equal amount in calories to what one eats which is somewhere between 1500 - 2000 /day to maintain your healthy mind & body.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4569027...rage-day_.html

if you are a three meal a day type person, I would suggest not to finish any meal before 10 minutes. I prescribe to the no more than 2000 calories/day spread across a five meal a day diet plan. Cut the sugar as well as salt & drink one litre of water per day. Eat whatever you think is good for your body, remember to keep within the 'burn what you eat' schedule.

No eating or caffeine intake 2-3 hours prior to bedtime

is to eat to live & not the live to eat.

If you are hungry between meals eat a stick of celery. We keep in the fridge a full celery chopped into two mouth size portions in a container of water.

I would like to eat more celery because it is one of the few foods they would like me to eat but the last bunch I bought was terribly tough.

cheers Nov 22nd 2013 7:41 pm

Yes I was born before the war and I had to eat everything on my plate during the war (on orders). My mother though I was too thin so there was a free government program to get cod liver oil, orange juice and malt. (you should see me now:))

I just woke up after a nap (my first mid-day nap in weeks) and I had Philadelphia cream cheese on french bread. I ate it standing up while doing other things, and I washed it down with soy milk. This flies in the face of all that has been mentioned on here. You are all right in what you say.

Tonight we are going to have raviolis and sprouts (I love).

Cheers

sallysimmons Nov 22nd 2013 9:44 pm

My mum is a real victim of the 'clean plate club.' She can't not clean her plate, even if it makes her feel sick to do so. She thinks it's morally wrong to leave food, whereas I can't see the benefit of using your body as a waste bin. Because, once you're not hungry anymore, you are just throwing food into your body as if it were a bin. It doesn't need the calories, it has nowhere to put them, and it's just harmful to your health.

Anyway, here's a link to an interview with Paul McKenna for anyone who's interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icAm2Q94J00

feelbritish Nov 22nd 2013 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11003514)
I would like to eat more celery because it is one of the few foods they would like me to eat but the last bunch I bought was terribly tough.

Make sure it is organic, celery is one of the main culprits of chemical fertilizers! The organic actually tastes better too, I do not like it on its own too much but add it to stir fries, salads and eat it with hummus or almond butter squished in the middle (you could use pure peanut butter too) much more healthy snack than chips

windsong Nov 24th 2013 3:14 am

Thought I'd share this with you all. Normally, I don't speak much about my family but tonight I was watching the BBC iPlayer programs and I usually gravitate to any show that shows me the beautiful landscape of the UK.

Tonight I came across this show:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Great_Malvern/

The word "Hartlebury" caught my eye because I had a great uncle who was Bishop of Worcestershire and lived at Hartlebury Castle. I was thrilled to see a scene in the drawing room of Hartlebury with my great uncle's portrait hanging on the wall behind. (I already acquired a copy of his portrait last year.)

I always knew he was Chaplain to Royalty. It was after Queen Victoria but I need to look up the kings and queens of England to work out who it was. Must do that! ETA - I looked it up. It had to be George V.

He also was responsible for the running of Christ's Hospital School in England, the school that took in the children of the poor and looked after them from birth until they were able to attend the school. It was his successful administration of the school that allowed the hospital/school to be able to afford to do this.

It also shows the cathedral. (He's buried inside it.)

The program made me smile - and what a lovely town Worcester is. :)

Hartlebury Castle is now owned by a private trust. It's really lovely, too! I have many photos of my great uncle writing at a table in the Hurd Library at Hartlebury Castle - and standing by bookcases browsing the books.

It's such a shame I am having such difficulty in going back home. Lots of great family history lies back there, even though they are all deceased now.

Perth Nov 24th 2013 10:45 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 11004816)
Thought I'd share this with you all. Normally, I don't speak much about my family but tonight I was watching the BBC iPlayer programs and I usually gravitate to any show that shows me the beautiful landscape of the UK.

Tonight I came across this show:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Great_Malvern/

The word "Hartlebury" caught my eye because I had a great uncle who was Bishop of Worcestershire and lived at Hartlebury Castle. I was thrilled to see a scene in the drawing room of Hartlebury with my great uncle's portrait hanging on the wall behind. (I already acquired a copy of his portrait last year.)

I always knew he was Chaplain to Royalty. It was after Queen Victoria but I need to look up the kings and queens of England to work out who it was. Must do that! ETA - I looked it up. It had to be George V.

He also was responsible for the running of Christ's Hospital School in England, the school that took in the children of the poor and looked after them from birth until they were able to attend the school. It was his successful administration of the school that allowed the hospital/school to be able to afford to do this.

It also shows the cathedral. (He's buried inside it.)

The program made me smile - and what a lovely town Worcester is. :)

Hartlebury Castle is now owned by a private trust. It's really lovely, too! I have many photos of my great uncle writing at a table in the Hurd Library at Hartlebury Castle - and standing by bookcases browsing the books.

It's such a shame I am having such difficulty in going back home. Lots of great family history lies back there, even though they are all deceased now.

How lovely, windsong, thank you for sharing. We love to watch anything about the UK countryside too, and have been enjoying Michael Portillo's train trips very much - we did see this one!

Sorry you are having a terrible time returning home. It is so hard when your heart is somewhere other than where your feet are. Have hope and determination and it will happen.

windsong Nov 24th 2013 10:52 am

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 11005107)
How lovely, windsong, thank you for sharing. We love to watch anything about the UK countryside too, and have been enjoying Michael Portillo's train trips very much - we did see this one!

Sorry you are having a terrible time returning home. It is so hard when your heart is somewhere other than where your feet are. Have hope and determination and it will happen.

Thanks, PHS. I miss the trains. Sometimes when watching his show I feel as if I am back there, if only for half an hour :(

windsong Nov 24th 2013 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11002478)
Almost every food in N.A. will last a long time, if its not G.M. Hormones, or Antibiotics or its full of preservatives, then we have corn sweetner and other things, pick your poision, none of it is good for any of us.

Not to sound too negative but its all about the bottom line.

Good for you and your diet, I hope it all works out for you.

I am so, so tired of it! Everything is fake - even the food!

In the last few years, I have often wandered around the grocery stores wondering what on earth to buy! Even the fruit doesn't look good. I don't like to see my veggies being sprayed with "water" either.

I haven't eaten meat for 3-4 weeks now - ever since I realized that 99% of it has hormones plus other additives. The very thought of it makes me want to be sick. I don't know if my body is any worse off. I suppose I am missing some essential nutrients but I try to make up for it by making split pea and lentil soup.

I never ate a lot of meat but now I eat none. I didn't consider myself vegetarian but if I don't eat meat . . .

cheers Nov 24th 2013 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 11005122)
I am so, so tired of it! Everything is fake - even the food!

In the last few years, I have often wandered around the grocery stores wondering what on earth to buy! Even the fruit doesn't look good. I don't like to see my veggies being sprayed with "water" either.

I haven't eaten meat for 3-4 weeks now - ever since I realized that 99% of it has hormones plus other additives. The very thought of it makes me want to be sick. I don't know if my body is any worse off. I suppose I am missing some essential nutrients but I try to make up for it by making split pea and lentil soup.

I never ate a lot of meat but now I eat none. I didn't consider myself vegetarian but if I don't eat meat . . .

I make up for the lack of meat by eating hot dogs.
This part joke and part truth.
I don't like hot dogs and they are probably the worst food manufactured by man.
My wife occasionally buys Kosher hot dogs and she had an "all beef" hot dog last from Costco. I had the greatest slice of pizza from Costco instead.
So no beef, pork,ham or chicken for me in general.
On Thanksgiving we will have the traditional turkey and I can stomach that for one day a year. Who knows what injections that bird gets during its life?
So here I stuff myself with chocolate covered almonds. Breakfast was cereal and milk and orange juice. 9:30 am local time.
Cheers

cheers Nov 24th 2013 3:39 pm

Any snow to report?

rebs Nov 24th 2013 3:58 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11005417)
Any snow to report?

No snow here in Dorset - it's been a lovely weekend with lots of sunshine. This was at the beach yesterday :)

sallysimmons Nov 24th 2013 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11005417)
Any snow to report?

None. Some frost in the mornings, and some ice on the roads, but no snow. The ice is bad though - because it rains so much, the puddles freeze overnight and it can be hard to walk up the lane until about lunchtime. You have to drive really slowly because you never know when you'll hit a frozen puddle.

Just got snow tyres fitted on the new 4x4, so I'm ready for when it comes!

cheers Nov 24th 2013 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 11005753)
None. Some frost in the mornings, and some ice on the roads, but no snow. The ice is bad though - because it rains so much, the puddles freeze overnight and it can be hard to walk up the lane until about lunchtime. You have to drive really slowly because you never know when you'll hit a frozen puddle.

Did you keep the Honda Jazz?

We had 3 days of rain and today we have clouds and plenty of sunshine.

windsong Nov 25th 2013 12:38 am

Today has been really rough. My 50s were taken up with some ill health and surgery, the loss of both parents, layoffs and a few other things that made the decade zoom by. All of a sudden, today, I realize I am 61!!!! It hit me like a ton of bricks when I talked to a friend I hadn't seen in about eight years. I asked about another mutual friend and she told me she passed away six years ago. Then she told me that her own husband had a heart attack three years ago.

Why did it take this news to make me realize I am 61!!!

I think living in the USA makes you keep going, going, going - a sort of in-built anxiety that never ceases. You make yourself live to produce without giving much thought to your own life.

WOW - 61! :(

It's not so much being 61. It's the realization that I am getting old!

TheCreature Nov 25th 2013 12:47 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 11005753)

Snow tyres.. for Yorkshire?!
I knew it was cold in yonder hills, but I wouldn't have thought there was a need for snow tyres. You should have moved to sunny Lancs instead. :p