British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Fish n Chips 56 Nov 20th 2013 3:47 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10999333)
Well done, thats really good results. Not sure I could cut the tea, maybe I'd cut the sugar amount in it first.

I know what you mean Pauline, I tried stepping it down to 1 1/2 sugars and even that tasted not so good to me, then I realised I could just drink less cups... My wife cut out sugar in tea 15 -20 yrs ago and said it was fine, Heck I just wasnt for me...

I used to drink loads of Mt Dew 20 yrs ago, I couldnt see me droping that but I did, we have some in the fridge mostly for shandy's, it must be months since I had a sip of that, I have a feeling it might be last of that too...

cheers Nov 20th 2013 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11000000)
I know what you mean Pauline, I tried stepping it down to 1 1/2 sugars and even that tasted not so good to me, then I realised I could just drink less cups... My wife cut out sugar in tea 15 -20 yrs ago and said it was fine, Heck I just wasnt for me...

I used to drink loads of Mt Dew 20 yrs ago, I couldnt see me droping that but I did, we have some in the fridge mostly for shandy's, it must be months since I had a sip of that, I have a feeling it might be last of that too...

Mt Dew? That should rot your boots!:)
I'm drinking soy milk and I'm hooked on it.

Who on here has diabetes? Someone mentioned it a long time ago.
My sugar was way up this morning.

dontheturner Nov 20th 2013 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11000033)
Mt Dew? That should rot your boots!:)
I'm drinking soy milk and I'm hooked on it.

Who on here has diabetes? Someone mentioned it a long time ago.
My sugar was way up this morning.

Most folks --- and they don't even seem to know, or be aware of it.

islandwoman120 Nov 20th 2013 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 11000357)
Most folks --- and they don't even seem to know, or be aware of it.

If you go gluten free you will get rid of a lot of what ails you....I have done that for almost 18 months now, lost 20lbs in weight and feel a whole lot better. If you want details, PM me.:)

sallysimmons Nov 20th 2013 8:29 pm

My own recommendation for losing weight is this book and CD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Can-Make-Y.../dp/059306092X

Cheesy title and cover, amazing common sense and it has changed my life. No diet, no worrying about what to eat, no gym. But once I read the book and listened to the CD, I just found I ate much smaller portions and only when I'm hungry. Amazing how many times we eat when we're not actually hungry. Eat only when you're hungry and it turns out that your body takes care of the rest - even if what you eat is fatty or full of sugar (not that I'm recommending that!). If only I could cut out wine, I'd have lost twice as much!

NiHao, thanks for asking. I have neglected my blog I'm afraid because I've just been so busy and it felt like I had said everything I had to say. But I do have an art website if you'd like to see some pictures. My work isn't groundbreaking, nor is it to everyone's taste, but I enjoy it and that's what counts :) The site is here.

Mummy, so glad your stuff arrived. Such a great feeling! How is everything now that you've had a little time to acclimatise? Still happy?

The weather here is pretty shocking tonight. We had a 90-minute drive to and from the art show where we had to set up tonight (it starts tomorrow). No way out of it, so my lovely husband drove through rain and then sleet and finally snow. But as we got closer to home, the snow had turned back to rain and I'm hoping it stays that way.

Got a phone call this morning from my neighbour who had come round to look at our CRV, work out what snow tires we need, and get us a price. He's coming with me tomorrow to have them fitted. I said I could go alone but he said "better not. Dennis can be a bit weird." Hee. There are a few of those characters round here.

Another neighbour called to invite me for a walk this morning, and a third popped round to give me a good luck card ahead of the art show.

I am feeling very blessed tonight, despite the horrible weather. It's amazing what a sense of community can do :)

Hope everyone is warm and safe tonight.

cheers Nov 20th 2013 8:39 pm

These posts made my day!
Now off to Walmart and Staples ( looking for a new printer because they are cheaper than buying ink for my present printer)

Cheers

Perth Nov 20th 2013 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 11000455)

But I do have an art website if you'd like to see some pictures. My work isn't groundbreaking, nor is it to everyone's taste, but I enjoy it and that's what counts :) The site is here.

LOVE your work Louise! Hope the show is a success tomorrow. Stay safe on those roads.
~Monique
PS: After a closer look, have to say I like Huddled Together the most. If I were over there I'd buy it!

islandwoman120 Nov 21st 2013 8:18 am

I have been asked about gluten and it's allergies and sensitivities, so here are some links to read if you are interested:
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7482/...ntolerant.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten_sensitivity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-free_diet
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co...go-g-free.html
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/whe...5b79a-87010941

curleytops Nov 21st 2013 8:48 am

I do have an art website if you'd like to see some pictures. My work isn't groundbreaking, nor is it to everyone's taste, but I enjoy it and that's what counts :) The site is here.

I have to add my own two penneth here; what lovely work! My favorites would have to be "Threshfield" and "Tea in Masham". I hope this rekindled drive brings you much enjoyment and fulfillment in the future and I have no doubt it will keep you busy - you've no shortage of beautiful subject material in Yorkshire! Good luck at the show. :starsmile:

dunroving Nov 21st 2013 11:05 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 11001078)
I have to add my own two penneth here; what lovely work! My favorites would have to be "Threshfield" and "Tea in Masham". I hope this rekindled drive brings you much enjoyment and fulfillment in the future and I have no doubt it will keep you busy - you've no shortage of beautiful subject material in Yorkshire! Good luck at the show. :starsmile:

I like the inventive titles for some of them, too (e.g., Sticks and Stones). :thumbup:

sallysimmons Nov 21st 2013 11:42 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11001258)
I like the inventive titles for some of them, too (e.g., Sticks and Stones). :thumbup:

I can't take credit for those, I have to be honest.

I have a Facebook page for my art and quite a lot of followers, so when I need a title, I ask for suggestions. People are so creative! I've just done a sketch of my neighbour's stone wall as it's about to collapse and he wanted it preserving for posterity. It is still standing but has a hole in the middle. I was thinking of something like 'almost gone' or 'barely hanging on.' But then I asked on Facebook and someone suggested the brilliant title of 'The Writing is on the Wall.' Genius and I would never have thought of it in a million years.

Mummy in the foothills Nov 21st 2013 2:05 pm

Nice work there Sally, hope it all goes well.
Still happy here, we just went to town and had a cup of tea in Debenhams. I like the clothes in there. Making a wish list in my head.

MrMuffin Nov 21st 2013 4:21 pm

My own recommendation for losing weight is this book and CD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Can-Make-Y.../dp/059306092X

sallysimmons... I just ordered the book and CD after reading this. Thanks for the recommendation. I have always struggled with my weight here in the States thanks to portion sizes and tempting treats (and my total lack of self control of course). Hopefully this book will give me a new way to think about food and eating. Thank you!!

lf1 Nov 21st 2013 5:31 pm

Sallysimmons. What a great talent you have. Best of luck with your exhibition. So pleased that life is treating you well.:)

feelbritish Nov 21st 2013 9:39 pm

For what it is worth, I am trying the "Fast Metabolism Diet" by Hailie Pomroy. I have given up caffeine, alcohol, wheat (except I can have sprouted grains but I decided to quit and do gluten free) corn, soy, dairy, any chemical like diet products. It is quite drastic and the first week I had the most awful headaches, it felt like my brain was moving in my head :D but this second week I feel a lot better. This is only for 28 days if you have 20lbs to lose or you just repeat the plan as and when you want but still try and do the GI when not following it. First week I lost 3lbs which is low but good for me. I am into the second week and feel much better. I no longer crave carbs (I do eat carbs but good ones), coffee or alcohol. I am determined to wear my "old" thin clothes when I return :fingerscrossed: It is also doing my self esteem good and I am not so depressed these days. I am not puffy anymore either because I drink half my body weight in water. I do excercise, I walk daily and go to Curves but that excercise in the past just kept my weight steady.

Since moving here I have maintained that the food we get to buy here is mostly bad for you! :thumbdown: