Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Nov 17th 2013, 10:56 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone's doing well. Lestergirl, sorry that things haven't worked out, but glad you made a decision and I wish you nothing but the best when you get home.

Here are the prices for one of our local chippies. It's over the border in Lancashire but I try not to hold that against it.

http://www.bannys.co.uk/takeaway/

Things are still going well for me. We are preparing for winter up here in the hills, although so far it's been pretty mild. Our neighbour, a former mechanic, helped us buy a second-hand car for winter. We have bought an old CRV that he says is a bargain - that will just give us peace of mind about getting out during snowstorms if we need to.

I have started a second career as an artist - something I have always done as a hobby, but never really dedicated myself to. Got a new lease of life since coming back here, so got stuck in and have my first exhibition starting next week (yikes!) and then an arts fair in York in December. Exciting times!

Other than that, I've lost 20lbs since coming home, partly because I'm happier and partly because I walk a lot now. This despite regular pub meals, chippy teas, custard tarts and Yorkshire puddings.

I don't care what anyone says, for me there is no place like home
Old Nov 17th 2013, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone's doing well. Lestergirl, sorry that things haven't worked out, but glad you made a decision and I wish you nothing but the best when you get home.

Here are the prices for one of our local chippies. It's over the border in Lancashire but I try not to hold that against it.

Things are still going well for me. We are preparing for winter up here in the hills, although so far it's been pretty mild. Our neighbour, a former mechanic, helped us buy a second-hand car for winter. We have bought an old CRV that he says is a bargain - that will just give us peace of mind about getting out during snowstorms if we need to.

I have started a second career as an artist - something I have always done as a hobby, but never really dedicated myself to. Got a new lease of life since coming back here, so got stuck in and have my first exhibition starting next week (yikes!) and then an arts fair in York in December. Exciting times!

Other than that, I've lost 20lbs since coming home, partly because I'm happier and partly because I walk a lot now. This despite regular pub meals, chippy teas, custard tarts and Yorkshire puddings.

Thanks for your post Sally, I've just lost 20 lbs myself and know how good it feels, Congrats to you on your 20 lbs.

That Bannys link should get this thread moving again. lol.

The take out prices are very fair, a little cheaper than what I was paying.

If I was eating inside Id have to try that ginger sponge, we went back in September for two weeks and I had so much ginger cake and sponge pudding, I left wanting more, My dear wife obliged with a nice Ginger cake.

I'm glad you are doing so well and loving life where you belong, ahhhh That Yorkshire, you've got to Love it.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Did you know you have the same car as Don? A CRV.
I would think it is a 4 wheel drive and was made in the UK.
Congrats on loosing £20

Cheers
Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:19 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Funny thing weight isn't it. Glad you have managed to eat well and loose weight.
My Dh has been convinced we are going to gain, we are eating well, Sunday roasts, sponge puddings and way too much bacon too often, and yet we haven't gained an ounce. Dh was in a very physical job and now potters about, in US that would be enough for him to gain, I was exercising 5-6 times a week in US and now haven't even signed up to the gym.
I love the idea of getting a CRV for winter, I'm getting a bit worried about living on top of a hill, lovely views but Oh dear when the ice starts and I have to get to work. I can see I'll be parking at the bottom on the main road and hiking up and down, more exercise
Good luck with the exhibition, very exciting.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

Thats the way I like them.
me too
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:08 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

I'm glad you are doing so well and loving life where you belong, ahhhh That Yorkshire, you've got to Love it.

To be serious for a moment, I don't mean to sound as though I think Yorkshire is better than anywhere else* when I post these things. It's just that I think for all of us there is a place (or maybe several places) where we truly feel at ease. Like putting on a really comfy pair of jeans. For me that's here, but for someone else it could be Dorset or Glasgow or New York or Hong Kong.

I think the tragedy is when we don't recognise that we have such a place. I didn't know it for almost 20 years and could have got stuck over in America. But likewise there are people who don't realise they love where they are now, move back home to the UK and suddenly understand that they are in the wrong place.

The one thing I think we should all do before a big move is really question what makes us happy and whether those things exist in the new place. If I had done that, I may never have left Yorkshire in the first place.

Except Lancashire - we're clearly better than them
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

To be serious for a moment, I don't mean to sound as though I think Yorkshire is better than anywhere else* when I post these things. It's just that I think for all of us there is a place (or maybe several places) where we truly feel at ease. Like putting on a really comfy pair of jeans. For me that's here, but for someone else it could be Dorset or Glasgow or New York or Hong Kong.

I think the tragedy is when we don't recognise that we have such a place. I didn't know it for almost 20 years and could have got stuck over in America. But likewise there are people who don't realise they love where they are now, move back home to the UK and suddenly understand that they are in the wrong place.

The one thing I think we should all do before a big move is really question what makes us happy and whether those things exist in the new place. If I had done that, I may never have left Yorkshire in the first place.

Except Lancashire - we're clearly better than them
A Great point and I agree, I think the Yorkshire thing only came up to begin with as some people seemed to know little about the place.

I think Home is where the heart is, thats the UK for me, it could be a few places as I was a bit of a gypsy before I left, Family is a big pull for me so that will be a big factor.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 10:58 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, sounds as though everything is going well for you..
Old Nov 18th 2013, 4:31 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Shipping has arrived, they were super fast unloading and did a brilliant job. Very happy family now have all their junk again.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
Did you know you have the same car as Don? A CRV.
I would think it is a 4 wheel drive and was made in the UK.
Congrats on loosing £20

Cheers
Here's a shot of it. Brilliant to drive. No doubt.
Attached Thumbnails Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up-honda-cr-v-estate-car-2.jpg  
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Here's a shot of it. Brilliant to drive. No doubt.
I can see why you love it! It looks like it just came off the showroom floor.
Thank you for showing it.
Cheers
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shipping has arrived, they were super fast unloading and did a brilliant job. Very happy family now have all their junk again.

You said you live over the bridge from Conwy, so would that be in the area of Deganwy?

Cheers, (the nosy one)
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Sallysimmons, lovely to hear from you! Glad to hear how well things are going and many congrats on getting back to making art, that is wonderful. Will you be posting photos, maybe on your blog?

Mummyinthefoothills,
Do you mind if I ask how much it cost to ship your stuff back? I understand if you would rather not answer but I'm just wondering what costs are like but really don't want to have any of the companies out for a quote at the moment.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Ahhhhhhh thats lovely, good for you.

I was telling my wife about your situation, she reminded me that our shippers had lost one of our trunks when we went back in 89-90, it did turn up just like yours did... Huhhh Id forgot all about it...
Old Nov 19th 2013, 5:42 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by NiHao
Sallysimmons, lovely to hear from you! Glad to hear how well things are going and many congrats on getting back to making art, that is wonderful. Will you be posting photos, maybe on your blog?

Mummyinthefoothills,
Do you mind if I ask how much it cost to ship your stuff back? I understand if you would rather not answer but I'm just wondering what costs are like but really don't want to have any of the companies out for a quote at the moment.
Not at all, with insurance from their Bay area CA warehouse (we delivered it all ready packed in boxes inside a horse trailer ) to our garage in Wales was just over $2,000 including the insurance (value of about £15,000) . That was one wooden liftvan packed solid, 7.5feet long, 7.5 feet tall and 4.5 feet wide (approx) and a small pallet with two wood crates on measuring about 3'x3' and 5'x1.5'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.