British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

jasper123 Nov 7th 2013 9:36 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

One thing that has not been said here regarding operations and waiting times,
the NHS will not give anyone a knee replacement or hip replacement if they are too heavy, these people are put on an indefinite waiting list until they loose a certain amount of weight, I do speak with some experience, one of my Mum's lady friends is not too old, she is in her late 60's but is considered obeste, and to be fair she is very large, looks like I would say about 60 or 70 pounds over weight, the NHS gave her a minimum weight loss that she has to loose before she will be allowed an operation on her hip and knee, she keeps complaining and says she finds it very hard to loose any weight at all!!!!
But of course she can have the operations if she goes private and pays for it out of her own pocket!!!!

Englishmum Nov 7th 2013 11:20 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10980253)
the NHS will not give anyone a knee replacement or hip replacement if they are too heavy, these people are put on an indefinite waiting list until they loose a certain amount of weight, I do speak with some experience, one of my Mum's lady friends is not too old, she is in her late 60's but is considered obeste, and to be fair she is very large, looks like I would say about 60 or 70 pounds over weight, the NHS gave her a minimum weight loss that she has to loose before she will be allowed an operation on her hip and knee, she keeps complaining and says she finds it very hard to loose any weight at all!!!!
But of course she can have the operations if she goes private and pays for it out of her own pocket!!!!

This is why the NHS doctors do not want to operate on your mum's friend unless she loses weight (the link has some technical terms but you will get the gist of it):

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/227108.php

chris955 Nov 7th 2013 11:27 am

I reckon that is fair enough, in most cases obesity is self inflicted and if you want to have a major operation and weight is going to be a major factor in your recovery then as I say it is fair enough.

Englishmum Nov 7th 2013 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10978510)
I understand about your medical fears - but it very much depends on where you live. Some areas have long waiting lists, some don't. It also depends on the severity of your need - if it is life-threatening you would be given priority.

Here's info on the guide to NHS waiting times:

http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Rig...g%20times.aspx

There is a subheading: 'Comparing Waiting Times'

"You can exercise your right to choose the hospital you are referred to by comparing hospitals across England on this website" (see link below):

http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Hos...ch/7/Hospitals

You can read reviews by patients at various hospitals across the country about their experiences and all the links to the hospitals state the waiting times for particular departments from referral to treatment.

mikelincs Nov 7th 2013 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10980375)
I reckon that is fair enough, in most cases obesity is self inflicted and if you want to have a major operation and weight is going to be a major factor in your recovery then as I say it is fair enough.

Not in all cases, if you have severe arthritis, then it is very difficult to exercise to lose weight as the normal methods of walking, cycling etc visits to the gym are not possible.

feelbritish Nov 7th 2013 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10980253)

I do think that is fair! Why should the taxpayer have to foot the bill for someone to have an operation when they will not look after themselves. Maybe should be applied to smoking and drinking as well? It is not just overeating that causes problems. But then these people pay the tax on those items and a lot of junk food is now going to be taxed heavily! A very difficult topic.

feelbritish Nov 7th 2013 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10980675)
Not in all cases, if you have severe arthritis, then it is very difficult to exercise to lose weight as the normal methods of walking, cycling etc visits to the gym are not possible.

There are exceptions to every rule and should be taken into consideration but seeing that it is dangerous to operate on Obese people I for one would try my utmost to lose the weight rather than put myself in that dangerous position

Sally Redux Nov 7th 2013 3:45 pm

Obesity is often a factor in infertility, too, but some obese women will continue to demand IVF.

rebs Nov 7th 2013 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10980809)
Obesity is often a factor in infertility, too, but some obese women will continue to demand IVF.

As will women with low BMIs which can also be a factor in fertility.

Sally Redux Nov 7th 2013 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10980824)
As will women with low BMIs which can also be a factor in fertility.

That's true - I was only going by what a doctor told me he saw in his clinics, maybe very thin women also present.

Mallory Nov 7th 2013 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10980809)

Obesity in infertility situations is most often due to the woman having polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Obesity is a side effect of this, and it is extremely hard to lose the weight, almost impossible for some. Women with PCOS have terrible difficulties getting pregnant, and often have multiple miscarriages. It is a hormonal problem. Diabetes is often present. Obese people should not be passed over for IVF treatment if they have PCOS - that would be grossly unfair. They often go years trying to get pregnant before they are diagnosed as having PCOS.

Not saying that all obese women have PCOS, but you can't tell by just looking at someone's appearance whether or not they have a medical problem. It's a heart breaking situation, and it is not uncommon by any means.

dunroving Nov 7th 2013 4:20 pm

Can you get baldness treatment on the NHS?

rebs Nov 7th 2013 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10980880)
Can you get baldness treatment on the NHS?

Only if your BMI is within acceptable values :p

Sally Redux Nov 7th 2013 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10980888)
Only if your BMI is within acceptable values :p

I think the point is not to punish people, but make them aware that the treatment may not be successful.

rebs Nov 7th 2013 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10980894)
I think the point is not to punish people, but make them aware that the treatment may not be successful.

I know.. I think that's probably true...

I've known a couple of ladies that have had fertility treatments and all of them were incredibly focussed on maximising the chances of success - taking care of what they ate etc almost to the point of obsession.