Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
.ang on. I kept in contact with my ipad, why not you?

I mean to say we need to know minute by minute that you are safe all along the way and you may forget the important stuff.
I don't think you are going on the new Bay Bridge because it is probably shorter going on the San Mateo Bridge. Oh and you are going in the free direction from what I remember.

I hope and wish for your pleasant trip to Heathrow and on to Manchester.

Flight VC 20, Virgin Air, out of San Francisco.

Cheers
Thanks for the flight Info...

What day does Pauline leave??? Ive lost track... Gosh I wish she was taking me with her...

I went on Virgin Vegas to Manchester and back last year, what a great flight, easy going, loved it...
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:04 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
After 14 years in California I'm planning on returning home to Scotland in a few years.
Life has been good. Just didn't really want to come here in the first place. (Job transfer, lasted longer than I thought.)
I've been gainfully employed in highly technical sales, holding the title of Sales Manager, in recent years. Work from home, large territory etc.

However when I return to the UK I'll be mid 50's. I don't know what the job situation is like.
I don't know if there will be opportunities for me or should I anticipate early retirement, (and starting my own business.)

Best of luck with your planned move back to Scotland. I moved back last year after many years in Canada and I am very happy to be back. Where are you planning to move to? I can't comment on the job situation, as it will depend on the type of job you are looking for. Early retirement and starting your own business sound like good options to have.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Thanks for the flight Info...

What day does Pauline leave??? Ive lost track... Gosh I wish she was taking me with her...

I went on Virgin Vegas to Manchester and back last year, what a great flight, easy going, loved it...
I went Vegas to London and back this summer on British. I was not impressed.

Last edited by cheers; Sep 4th 2013 at 1:59 am.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We do have a cottage in mind, we'll see what happens when we get back.
Have you looked to see if you can leave reviews on www.tripadvisor.com
Does it have indoor plumbing?

Cheers
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

So I just read that Chelsea/Bradley Manning use to live in Heaverfordwest, South Wales. His mother probably still lives there.
If you remember he was just sentence in US for spying.
If you read his family life, he didn't have a chance.

Last edited by cheers; Sep 4th 2013 at 3:04 am.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Best of luck with your planned move back to Scotland. I moved back last year after many years in Canada and I am very happy to be back. Where are you planning to move to? I can't comment on the job situation, as it will depend on the type of job you are looking for. Early retirement and starting your own business sound like good options to have.
That's the other thing. Don't know where to move to. I'm from the Airdrie area initially, between Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Quite fancy something in the Trossachs or Perthsire, somewhere rural. But as we age we want to be near good medical facilities.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
That's the other thing. Don't know where to move to. I'm from the Airdrie area initially, between Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Quite fancy something in the Trossachs or Perthsire, somewhere rural. But as we age we want to be near good medical facilities.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:52 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

We considered Perthshire too, but the area we ended up in has worked out well for us. Perth and area is lovely. We are in the Scottish Borders in a rural area, however, we are close to a market town and in between Edinburgh and Newcastle, so fairly close to all amenities. I love being close to the hills and also the coast.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

There are some nice places north of Glasgow - close to the Loch Lomond National Park and within a short drive of other lovely areas. I live about 10 miles north and we come within the Greater Glasgow NHS.

A friend lives in Stranraer and needed attention to a knee problem - I think he will need surgery, it sounds like either a meniscus tear or advanced arthritic degeneration). I assumed because he lives in a less populous area compared to Glasgow that he would be waiting forever, as it took almost three years from initial referral to me eventually getting a knee replacement. However, apparently he said things are quicker - he is due an MRI next week and it's only been about 6 weeks since he went to the GP. I think he comes under Dumfries and Galloway NHS.

In increasing distance from Glasgow heading roughly north, I can recommend Bearsden, Milngavie (both effectively suburbs of Glasgow, with Milngavie on the very outskirts), Blanefield/Strathblane, Killearn, Drymen, Balfron, Aberfoyle. I think there is a bus from all of those places to Glasgow, and the train goes as far as Milngavie.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
We considered Perthshire too, but the area we ended up in has worked out well for us. Perth and area is lovely. We are in the Scottish Borders in a rural area, however, we are close to a market town and in between Edinburgh and Newcastle, so fairly close to all amenities. I love being close to the hills and also the coast.
I seem to keep hearing good things about the Borders. If I didn't have to work in Glasgow I think I would consider somewhere down that way. I plan to do a trip down to Peebles or possibly the place they do all the mountain biking - is it Glentress/Tweed Valley? Not sure when but I might go there to hide away over Christmas/New Year.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:45 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
I seem to keep hearing good things about the Borders. If I didn't have to work in Glasgow I think I would consider somewhere down that way. I plan to do a trip down to Peebles or possibly the place they do all the mountain biking - is it Glentress/Tweed Valley? Not sure when but I might go there to hide away over Christmas/New Year.
One of the things I like about the Borders is the lack of traffic. I moved from a city (Calgary) which has a footprint of 1972 sq mi with a population of 1.2m in contrast with the Borders which is 1831 sq mi in area with a population of 112,900 (source wiki so accuracy might be questionable, but I think the numbers are close enough for illustration purposes). I think there are more sheep here than people. I thought I might feel isolated from city life, but so far that hasn't been a problem. My social life is more active in the Borders than it was in a large city. Some people in the village commute to Edinburgh, but that is a bit of a stretch as it is an hours drive to Edinburgh bypass.

Peebles is a very nice town and is just west of the Glentress area. I am sure that you would enjoy a trip there as you are a keen cyclist. Would you be able to cycle at that time of the year or are you just planning to chill out? I have seen quite a few cyclists on the local roads in the Borders and into Northumberland. I expect they like area because the roads are well maintained (on the Scottish side anyway) and there is little traffic. The last time I drove south to Newcastle airport, via the Jedburgh road, I passed a large group of cyclists going north. I thought, I am going to meet up with them on my return journey. I did, but fortunately, I did find a spot to safely pass the group, otherwise, it would have been a long drive home.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
One of the things I like about the Borders is the lack of traffic. I moved from a city (Calgary) which has a footprint of 1972 sq mi with a population of 1.2m in contrast with the Borders which is 1831 sq mi in area with a population of 112,900 (source wiki so accuracy might be questionable, but I think the numbers are close enough for illustration purposes). I think there are more sheep here than people. I thought I might feel isolated from city life, but so far that hasn't been a problem. My social life is more active in the Borders than it was in a large city. Some people in the village commute to Edinburgh, but that is a bit of a stretch as it is an hours drive to Edinburgh bypass.

Peebles is a very nice town and is just west of the Glentress area. I am sure that you would enjoy a trip there as you are a keen cyclist. Would you be able to cycle at that time of the year or are you just planning to chill out? I have seen quite a few cyclists on the local roads in the Borders and into Northumberland. I expect they like area because the roads are well maintained (on the Scottish side anyway) and there is little traffic. The last time I drove south to Newcastle airport, via the Jedburgh road, I passed a large group of cyclists going north. I thought, I am going to meet up with them on my return journey. I did, but fortunately, I did find a spot to safely pass the group, otherwise, it would have been a long drive home.
OK tell me one nice area on the Borders and I'll have a look. I looked awhile ago because I read about them putting in the railway down that way.

I looked at the homes in the area and came up with the conclusion that Scottish women are meticulous in keeping up their homes.

Cheers
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:24 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

OK tell me one nice area on the Borders and I'll have a look. I looked awhile ago because I read about them putting in the railway down that way.

I looked at the homes in the area and came up with the conclusion that Scottish women are meticulous in keeping up their homes.

Cheers
Towns to check out are Melrose, Kelso & Peebles. All very nice and have not yet been decimated by the big grocery stores. If you are using Right Move, also try BSPC as sometimes there are a few properties that are not listed on Right Move.

Indeed, we are meticulous in our housekeeping.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

The British Consulate said.

From 9 September 2013, British nationals in the USA will submit passport applications to Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK for processing. All the information needed to complete the passport application process is available on the British Government website at:
Old Sep 4th 2013, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

The British Consulate said.

From 9 September 2013, British nationals in the USA will submit passport applications to Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK for processing. All the information needed to complete the passport application process is available on the British Government website at:
Yes - read that on Sunday - what a pain!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.