Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by trottytrue
British Expats May Soon Get Access to NHS....This was posted on the BE forums homepage I just couldnt understand what they were saying. Did anyone else have a hard time understanding it. It seems to me every Ex-Pat I know never had a problem getting healthcare on their return home.

Sallysimmons...Loved your pictures and I hope you love the flat you are going to look at I shall keep my fingers crossed for you.
Hi trotty,
I think the link from brissybee and comments that followed ----. that dunroving posted explains it all the best,
the only thing I have heard lately is that the government is cracking down on the free use of NHS treatment for tourists or new E.U. immigrants, non british tourists will have to pay in the future for any NHS treatment given, and new non british immigrants would need to wait I think they said for three years in paying contributions before they will be eligible for NHS services, but I dont think this applies to the spouse of a british expat returning home, they should be OK. what Cameron is trying to stop mainly I think is the ever increasing flow of tourists just coming to the UK to get free NHS treatment, and wants to get rid of the mentality that Britain is the free health care provider for the world, he said thats why its called the national health service, otherwise we would have called it the world health service.
just some things that I remember hearing and reading thats all ---- so please dont anyone be quoting me here
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 12:48 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the top of your screen, and go to BE's home page. There is an article there about the NHS for ex-pat's. I think that is what Trotty is referring to.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
This time next week I should be getting Dd ready to go to her first day of UK school, should I be or ?
Its amazing how after such a long time is suddenly seems to all happen so quickly. I imagine you must be feeling such a mixture of emotions.

I know things are crazy busy for you right now but when you have time I would really love to hear more about the UK school. What grade will your daughter be entering? I think I read that you have/are buying not renting? What did you have to do to get your daughter on the school role, I mean what proof of residence did you have to provide? How much of a factor was the school in where you have chosen to buy?

With 3 school age children I'm very interested in anything and everything about you and your daughter's experience with the UK school system.

Good luck with everything, very excited for you!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

This time next week I should be getting Dd ready to go to her first day of UK school, should I be or ?
Wow! Time flies doesn't it...I'm soo looking forward to your views upon arrival. Best of luck
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 5:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
Its amazing how after such a long time is suddenly seems to all happen so quickly. I imagine you must be feeling such a mixture of emotions.

I know things are crazy busy for you right now but when you have time I would really love to hear more about the UK school. What grade will your daughter be entering? I think I read that you have/are buying not renting? What did you have to do to get your daughter on the school role, I mean what proof of residence did you have to provide? How much of a factor was the school in where you have chosen to buy?

With 3 school age children I'm very interested in anything and everything about you and your daughter's experience with the UK school system.

Good luck with everything, very excited for you!
She'll be going into year 4 at the local primary.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Year 4 is for 8 years old by 1st Sept is that correct?

Our eldest is 8 and just started back at school in 3rd Grade here but I think that means she would be Year 4 in the UK like your daughter?

I hope your daughter has a great first day and really loves her new school.

One of the things I'm interested in is how accurate a picture do the ofsted ratings give. Let me know when your ready for school questions and I will bombard you
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Go to the top of your screen, and go to BE's home page. There is an article there about the NHS for ex-pat's. I think that is what Trotty is referring to.
http://britishexpats.com/articles/uk/expats-nhs/

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:55 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
Year 4 is for 8 years old by 1st Sept is that correct?

Our eldest is 8 and just started back at school in 3rd Grade here but I think that means she would be Year 4 in the UK like your daughter?

I hope your daughter has a great first day and really loves her new school.

One of the things I'm interested in is how accurate a picture do the ofsted ratings give. Let me know when your ready for school questions and I will bombard you
Yes thats right she also started 3rd grade this summer here.
When do you move?
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:55 am
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

I have booked my flights! Big sigh of relief. Dd and I fly out next Wednesday on Virgin from San Francisco to Heathrow, then onto Manchester. They were $1000 less for the two of us over the same tickets on British Airways.
I'm all a flutter here, feels more real than when we sent all our stuff off with the shippers.
Safe travels and best of luck to you all back on this side of the pond!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes thats right she also started 3rd grade this summer here.
When do you move?
Still in the "hoping to" stage.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:38 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

OK I'm signing off in a couple of hours, I have to go and turn in my modem to the phone company, so I'll have no internet till I get back to UK, and then I think it'll be weekend before I get any peace to get back on.
So see you all this weekend (virtually)
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:45 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK I'm signing off in a couple of hours, I have to go and turn in my modem to the phone company, so I'll have no internet till I get back to UK, and then I think it'll be weekend before I get any peace to get back on.
Right, I am off to put the kettle on in anticipation of your arrival
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

After 14 years in California I'm planning on returning home to Scotland in a few years.
Life has been good. Just didn't really want to come here in the first place. (Job transfer, lasted longer than I thought.)
I've been gainfully employed in highly technical sales, holding the title of Sales Manager, in recent years. Work from home, large territory etc.

However when I return to the UK I'll be mid 50's. I don't know what the job situation is like.
I don't know if there will be opportunities for me or should I anticipate early retirement, (and starting my own business.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Sep 3rd 2013 at 7:05 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

.ang on. I kept in contact with my ipad, why not you?

I mean to say we need to know minute by minute that you are safe all along the way and you may forget the important stuff.
I don't think you are going on the new Bay Bridge because it is probably shorter going on the San Mateo Bridge. Oh and you are going in the free direction from what I remember.

I hope and wish for your pleasant trip to Heathrow and on to Manchester.

Flight VC 20, Virgin Air, out of San Francisco.

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Sep 4th 2013 at 12:42 am.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

How did the British soldiers do in the New York court today? Anyone heard?

Last edited by cheers; Sep 4th 2013 at 1:47 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.