Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Aug 31st 2013, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I remember now that you said you were half Welsh! Do you speak it at all? I am trying to learn a few phrases here and there. It's the pronunciation I seem to have the most trouble with, but I am enjoying the challenge.

Apart from that we are watching movies and TV shows about Wales obsessively - so much so that it is soaking into our skin. And the more we learn the more we are falling in love.

We will be back 2015, so 2 more years to go. DD will graduate with her nursing degree in May and we will be on that plane by September
Great news that you will be home in two years, it will fly by!!!!
and you have lived in US for 30 years, its a long time, I had 36 years there myself, I would not have changed anything in my life, I have no regrets at all, I was happy in America,
But all of a sudden I turned 65 and I just did not want to be there anymore, something like forest gump who suddenly didn't want to run anymore so he turned around and went home!!!!! and I was fearful of the prospect of growing old with only medicare to help me pay my medical bills, what if I got really ill, and needed very expensive care, and I could only afford to have basic average medicare premiums of $140 each month deducted from my S.S.
I was also thinking about coming home a year before I finally made the big leap across the pond, many doubts passed through my mind in that year, even after I booked my flight, my fears were of how will it be like now in the UK after a lifetime away, how hard will it be to settle in to a new life, and a country that I really dont know anymore, after all two generations have emerged since I left,
Well I can tell you and many others on here can tell you that when you first come home of course its not all peaches and cream, but its well worth it if you stick it out, and always stay positive, dont listen at all to the grumpy people complaining about everything they can think of, turn a deaf ear to all that negativity (not everyone are like that) but some are, and try not to read the daily mail and you should be alright
Now Ive been home for almost three years and Im feeling good about my life, I love looking after my Mum, and love being here with her, and we now get on great, it did take quite a while but suddenly we hit it off, and now were fine and happy. we have been for quite some time now
You asked me if I spoke Welsh, No I dont, When my Dad left Wales to come to England before the War he met and married my Mum and we only spoke English in our household,
Old Sep 1st 2013, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
and you have lived in US for 30 years, its a long time, I had 36 years there myself, I would not have changed anything in my life, I have no regrets at all, I was happy in America,
But all of a sudden I turned 65 and I just did not want to be there anymore, something like forest gump who suddenly didn't want to run anymore so he turned around and went home!!!!! and I was fearful of the prospect of growing old with only medicare to help me pay my medical bills, what if I got really ill, and needed very expensive care, and I could only afford to have basic average medicare premiums of $140 each month deducted from my S.S.
I was also thinking about coming home a year before I finally made the big leap across the pond, many doubts passed through my mind in that year, even after I booked my flight, my fears were of how will it be like now in the UK after a lifetime away, how hard will it be to settle in to a new life, and a country that I really dont know anymore, after all two generations have emerged since I left,
Well I can tell you and many others on here can tell you that when you first come home of course its not all peaches and cream, but its well worth it if you stick it out, and always stay positive, dont listen at all to the grumpy people complaining about everything they can think of, turn a deaf ear to all that negativity (not everyone are like that) but some are, and try not to read the daily mail and you should be alright
Now Ive been home for almost three years and Im feeling good about my life, I love looking after my Mum, and love being here with her, and we now get on great, it did take quite a while but suddenly we hit it off, and now were fine and happy. we have been for quite some time now
You asked me if I spoke Welsh, No I dont, When my Dad left Wales to come to England before the War he met and married my Mum and we only spoke English in our household,
A lovely post! So much of it so familiar. I loved the Forrest Gump analogy!
Old Sep 1st 2013, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I went out for a day trip and here are the photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7635312849553/
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7634557937989/

I visited Topsham previously and posted photos too, so the newest ones are at the end of the ones you may already have seen - just scroll down.

I am being a tourist now as I think the pull of friends in Frome is too strong to resist for much longer - I have been offered a flat on the southern outskirts of town, overlooking the Mendip hills, and will go to see the area next week - it is set in nice grounds with fields for neighbours, but still on the bus line to Bath.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Have you looked at the BBC Learn Welsh site?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/learning/learnwelsh/
Yes thanks Mummy. It's a good one

Been watching a lot of BBC stuff like Weatherman Walking and The Story of Wales. It's so exciting to think we will be there before too long.

Best of luck to you on your voyage back
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Rodney. You've made me quite misty. We were planning on a recon trip next year, but we are going to take the plunge and just move instead, saving our pennies for my husband's visa application. Two years feels so much better than three, for sure
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

John, I am not from there - from London - but have done exhaustive research, which I am wont to do Did that with the franchise business we bought 16 years ago and it turned out rather well. After investigating all the practicalities, it has to come down to gut instinct. We also bought our house that way back then and are still here.

We are in the process of learning Welsh, although I am told we will probably not need it in S. Wales. But if/when we move further north later on, it may become more necessary to know at least the basics. Regardless, it's something we believe is our responsibility as newcomers, and are actually really enjoying our lessons.

As for the problem of being English - it is not as much a problem as it was when the English were buying holiday homes in rural and artificially driving up the prices. Cardiff is very cosmopolitan, so that hardly presents a problem either. And if nothing else, after 30 years here, I have lost my accent - so as far as anyone will know, we are Americans
Learning Welsh seems like an excellent way to make a commitment to moving to / living in Wales.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

.... Extract
What I do now each year is I just use the free e-file service on line from the main irs.gov site that takes you to the turbo tax free e-file, and just feel out all my details and bobs your uncle!!!! and if someone has a more complicated return that involves more then just a simple 1040 form the turbo tax charges you $40 so thats not bad is it, Ive heard that most Americans living in the U.K. use turbo tax or another reputable on line U.S. tax filing firm, and e-filing is nice and easy, and gets to the IRS in seconds, and within a few minutes they send from the IRS to turbo tax a confirmation date and time and a reference # and saying that the IRS has received and accepted your return, and turbo tax puts it on your screen and you can just print the whole return out for your records!!!
I had used TurboTax through the last 10 years in USA. I attempted to use TurboTax when we got back to UK but came across difficulties with it properly calculating Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and I found that others had the same problem. I tried TaxAct and it too didn't properly calculate FEIE
Now that I am not working I ought to try again for I was quite happy with TT in the USA.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
and

I visited Topsham previously and posted photos too, so the newest ones are at the end of the ones you may already have seen - just scroll down.

I am being a tourist now as I think the pull of friends in Frome is too strong to resist for much longer - I have been offered a flat on the southern outskirts of town, overlooking the Mendip hills, and will go to see the area next week - it is set in nice grounds with fields for neighbours, but still on the bus line to Bath.
Great photos, thank you for sharing! Looks like the weather is beautiful there right now.

Fingers crossed for the flat, sounds like it might be just what you need, close to friends but not in the middle of a "rowdy" area plus public transport to Bath. Let us know how it goes.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 7:34 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yes thanks Mummy. It's a good one

Been watching a lot of BBC stuff like Weatherman Walking and The Story of Wales. It's so exciting to think we will be there before too long.

Best of luck to you on your voyage back
This time next week I should be getting Dd ready to go to her first day of UK school, should I be or ?
Old Sep 1st 2013, 7:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
and

Sounds like a nice location hope it works out and you can live closer to the friends in Frome.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

This time next week I should be getting Dd ready to go to her first day of UK school, should I be or ?
Hmmmm dont worry about it she will be fine, I cant remember what age you said she was? but when people are young-ish they adapt a lot more quickly then we do to new surroundings and a new life, she was born in America right, so all she knows is being an American, and she will probably get on well with the U.K. kids, they will probably love her accent, in a couple of years or less she will be speaking with a U.K. accent of some sort they pick it up so fast, so to your question on how you should feel when she starts her first day at school ---- I think it will be a ----- and a

Last edited by jasper123; Sep 1st 2013 at 9:39 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Definitely You will be fine and so will she
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

British Expats May Soon Get Access to NHS....This was posted on the BE forums homepage I just couldnt understand what they were saying. Did anyone else have a hard time understanding it. It seems to me every Ex-Pat I know never had a problem getting healthcare on their return home.

Sallysimmons...Loved your pictures and I hope you love the flat you are going to look at I shall keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue

Sallysimmons...Loved your pictures and I hope you love the flat you are going to look at I shall keep my fingers crossed for you.
It's me, Islandwoman, not Sally who is going to see a flat in Frome!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:16 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
British Expats May Soon Get Access to NHS....This was posted on the BE forums homepage I just couldnt understand what they were saying. Did anyone else have a hard time understanding it. It seems to me every Ex-Pat I know never had a problem getting healthcare on their return home.

I couldn't find the thread you are referring to but it may be to do with the proposed changes, which might include expats (people actually living overseas, not just returnees) being eligible for NHS treatment. There is a short thread in this section, started by Brissybee (here), that discusses it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.