Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Aug 30th 2013, 10:39 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Mummy and Perth, a question about moving to Wales. I know little about Wales, it is a area we never seem to get to.

Are you Welsh and / or do you speak Welsh and if neither, do you anticipate any problems being (presumably) English and living in Wales?

I had a business trip couple years ago to Swansea by train through Cardiff and liked the look of the area although was only a fleeting glance.

Edit: I just saw conversations in "First Update" about anticipation of Wales and that you feel there will be no problems. Just that I recall from many many years ago some resentment by the Welsh of the English moving into Wales.
Anyway, it does look attractive there, something for us to consider for the future. We like coastline, countryside, small towns, hence we are here in Norfolk and have trouble making argument to move elsewhere even though we would eventually like to move off the estate we started on 30+ years ago. (can't be so bad here, Wills and Kate have prepared a house in Anmer not far from us and expect to move here once they leave Anglesey)
We are heading back where we started, both mine and Dh's family so we've never known anything else. We never had problems but I remember English people with holiday homes having trouble many years ago.
Seems like the ones who the locals didn't like were the ones who looked down on everyone if you know what I mean. Most fit in just fine especially after retirement, lots of retired English couples around the north Wales coast. Lots of Bunglows.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We are heading back where we started, both mine and Dh's family so we've never known anything else. We never had problems but I remember English people with holiday homes having trouble many years ago.
Seems like the ones who the locals didn't like were the ones who looked down on everyone if you know what I mean. Most fit in just fine especially after retirement, lots of retired English couples around the north Wales coast. Lots of Bunglows.
Wow such a happy moment for you.....back to where you belong xx. Did you keep your home or have to purchase another?
Old Aug 31st 2013, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Lestergirl will become famous soon enoughLestergirl will become famous soon enough

Finally Pauline, it is your turn, I am so happy for you. Since the first time I logged on here several years ago now, it was a dream, now it is finally here, you will be with your boys and back where you belong. I wish you lots of luck and a wonderful life back HOME!
Old Aug 31st 2013, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Mummy and Perth, a question about moving to Wales. I know little about Wales, it is a area we never seem to get to.

Are you Welsh and / or do you speak Welsh and if neither, do you anticipate any problems being (presumably) English and living in Wales?

I had a business trip couple years ago to Swansea by train through Cardiff and liked the look of the area although was only a fleeting glance.

Edit: I just saw conversations in "First Update" about anticipation of Wales and that you feel there will be no problems. Just that I recall from many many years ago some resentment by the Welsh of the English moving into Wales.
Anyway, it does look attractive there, something for us to consider for the future. We like coastline, countryside, small towns, hence we are here in Norfolk and have trouble making argument to move elsewhere even though we would eventually like to move off the estate we started on 30+ years ago. (can't be so bad here, Wills and Kate have prepared a house in Anmer not far from us and expect to move here once they leave Anglesey)
John, I am not from there - from London - but have done exhaustive research, which I am wont to do Did that with the franchise business we bought 16 years ago and it turned out rather well. After investigating all the practicalities, it has to come down to gut instinct. We also bought our house that way back then and are still here.

We are in the process of learning Welsh, although I am told we will probably not need it in S. Wales. But if/when we move further north later on, it may become more necessary to know at least the basics. Regardless, it's something we believe is our responsibility as newcomers, and are actually really enjoying our lessons.

As for the problem of being English - it is not as much a problem as it was when the English were buying holiday homes in rural and artificially driving up the prices. Cardiff is very cosmopolitan, so that hardly presents a problem either. And if nothing else, after 30 years here, I have lost my accent - so as far as anyone will know, we are Americans
Old Aug 31st 2013, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Hello Rodney! I took a little break following the website virus incident. Feelbritish is correct - you must be mixing me up with someone else. I am in the US but returning to the UK in 2 years

After a year of research we have decided on Wales instead of England - the environs of Cardiff to begin with, and then somewhere nice and peaceful in the hills to live out our last days.

How are you and your mum? I am still trying to catch up with what I've missed but I see you don't post that much anymore. Keeping busy I bet All the best to you

Monique
no I wasn't getting you mixed up with anyone else, but yes I remember now it was the U.S. for three years, and your hubby had a military Job right? and you are living in my home town of Las Vegas right?
Old Aug 31st 2013, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Corwen's a weird place-can almost hear the banjos
Old Aug 31st 2013, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
no I wasn't getting you mixed up with anyone else, but yes I remember now it was the U.S. for three years, and your hubby had a military Job right? and you are living in my home town of Las Vegas right?
No, no, and no

Here 30 years, we own a business in interior landscaping, and live in Florida. No worries, there are too many people on here to keep track of. Not taking it personally
Old Aug 31st 2013, 2:38 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

You are thinking of HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs. She is moving back because the US schools are really bad. She lives in LV. I think her hubby is with the British Army.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It is a nice area. We are buying. Thats todays job, get to the bank and sort out money!!

I think your posts on moving have been so helpful, seeing you have had to file taxes and us the US embassy services, it's put Dh's mind at rest knowing that he can do everything needed through the Embassy.
Hi Pauline,
Well the first year I came back I knew I had to file my taxes, so I found out that the American Embassy has an IRS office inside the building, so I took a train from Portsmouth to London and did my 2010 tax return at the U.S. Embassy and then I had a nice day out in the city, as I went there early morning I had the whole day there, and I had a nice couple pints of the finest british Ale and a great Pub meal and Im lucky cause I only live less then 2 hours from London by train!!!
Now I must say though that the IRS office inside the building of the Embassy is not a free tax return filing service, all they do there is give you guidance to fill out a paper return, so you fill it out yourself and if you get stuck and just dont know what to put hear or put there on the form ----- you just go up to the counter and they will help you, and there is never any charge for there professional help!!!! and so thats what I did the first year and they gave me the correct address to where I had to send my form, but mine was just a simple 1040 and I just wanted to make sure I made no mistakes on filing the form out, they are very helpful there, and very nice, and Im sure they would give you assistance in your return no matter how complicated your own tax situation may be!!!!
What I do now each year is I just use the free e-file service on line from the main irs.gov site that takes you to the turbo tax free e-file, and just feel out all my details and bobs your uncle!!!! and if someone has a more complicated return that involves more then just a simple 1040 form the turbo tax charges you $40 so thats not bad is it, Ive heard that most Americans living in the U.K. use turbo tax or another reputable on line U.S. tax filing firm, and e-filing is nice and easy, and gets to the IRS in seconds, and within a few minutes they send from the IRS to turbo tax a confirmation date and time and a reference # and saying that the IRS has received and accepted your return, and turbo tax puts it on your screen and you can just print the whole return out for your records!!!
Old Aug 31st 2013, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by conniewalker
Corwen's a weird place-can almost hear the banjos
Wheres Abruzzo?
Old Aug 31st 2013, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

No, no, and no

Here 30 years, we own a business in interior landscaping, and live in Florida. No worries, there are too many people on here to keep track of. Not taking it personally
Yes ---- Sorry, I know I do know you, and Ive talked to you in posts quite often, but yes its the names I sometimes get mixed up with,
My Dad was Welsh, and his Mum came from a long standing welsh family from Pembroke Dock, South Wales, so Im half welsh and I may add very proud to be able to say that,
My grandmother spoke fluent welsh, and brought my Dad up to speak both welsh and English,
Are you coming home this year?
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mallory
You are thinking of HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs. She is moving back because the US schools are really bad. She lives in LV. I think her hubby is with the British Army.
Mallory yes you are right, Im usually very good at remembering everyone but lately alas not so good
Old Aug 31st 2013, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes ---- Sorry, I know I do know you, and Ive talked to you in posts quite often, but yes its the names I sometimes get mixed up with,
My Dad was Welsh, and his Mum came from a long standing welsh family from Pembroke Dock, South Wales, so Im half welsh and I may add very proud to be able to say that,
My grandmother spoke fluent welsh, and brought my Dad up to speak both welsh and English,
Are you coming home this year?
Take care,
Rodney.
I remember now that you said you were half Welsh! Do you speak it at all? I am trying to learn a few phrases here and there. It's the pronunciation I seem to have the most trouble with, but I am enjoying the challenge.

Apart from that we are watching movies and TV shows about Wales obsessively - so much so that it is soaking into our skin. And the more we learn the more we are falling in love.

We will be back 2015, so 2 more years to go. DD will graduate with her nursing degree in May and we will be on that plane by September
Old Aug 31st 2013, 8:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pauline,
Well the first year I came back I knew I had to file my taxes, so I found out that the American Embassy has an IRS office inside the building, so I took a train from Portsmouth to London and did my 2010 tax return at the U.S. Embassy and then I had a nice day out in the city, as I went there early morning I had the whole day there, and I had a nice couple pints of the finest british Ale and a great Pub meal and Im lucky cause I only live less then 2 hours from London by train!!!
Now I must say though that the IRS office inside the building of the Embassy is not a free tax return filing service, all they do there is give you guidance to fill out a paper return, so you fill it out yourself and if you get stuck and just dont know what to put hear or put there on the form ----- you just go up to the counter and they will help you, and there is never any charge for there professional help!!!! and so thats what I did the first year and they gave me the correct address to where I had to send my form, but mine was just a simple 1040 and I just wanted to make sure I made no mistakes on filing the form out, they are very helpful there, and very nice, and Im sure they would give you assistance in your return no matter how complicated your own tax situation may be!!!!
What I do now each year is I just use the free e-file service on line from the main irs.gov site that takes you to the turbo tax free e-file, and just feel out all my details and bobs your uncle!!!! and if someone has a more complicated return that involves more then just a simple 1040 form the turbo tax charges you $40 so thats not bad is it, Ive heard that most Americans living in the U.K. use turbo tax or another reputable on line U.S. tax filing firm, and e-filing is nice and easy, and gets to the IRS in seconds, and within a few minutes they send from the IRS to turbo tax a confirmation date and time and a reference # and saying that the IRS has received and accepted your return, and turbo tax puts it on your screen and you can just print the whole return out for your records!!!
So turbo tax it is. I did Ds's for him on the free federal turbo tax one year it was nice and easy to follow.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 8:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

I remember now that you said you were half Welsh! Do you speak it at all? I am trying to learn a few phrases here and there. It's the pronunciation I seem to have the most trouble with, but I am enjoying the challenge.

Apart from that we are watching movies and TV shows about Wales obsessively - so much so that it is soaking into our skin. And the more we learn the more we are falling in love.

We will be back 2015, so 2 more years to go. DD will graduate with her nursing degree in May and we will be on that plane by September
Have you looked at the BBC Learn Welsh site?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/learning/learnwelsh/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.