Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Aug 25th 2013, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123
Oh pollyana thanks so much for going to all that trouble for me, WOW Im absolutely flabbergasted, now I know why Ive never bothered to learn how to do it, I bought my first computer 15 years ago and I have had one ever since, and I still have never known even how to cut and paste,
I know its not rocket science but oh WOW I dont know if I will be able to learn how to do this, I know how to insert a link into an email, I usually right click the link and save it to documents, wether it be a pic or video clip or text from a site
and then I get into typing my email to my friends and then I just click on attach link in my email window and go into my documents and click on the link that I saved and it uploads into my email, and then I just have to send the email,
Now I only wish it could be that easy to insert or attach a link from my documents to B.E. pollyanna do you think I could do it that way? cause although Im very thankful for all your explaining ----- I really dont think I can do it that way, to me it seems so complicated, I would get lost half way through the process
Originally Posted by Pollyana
You can but try it Rodney, give it a go and see if it works

Cut n paste is effectively what I describe in the first part of my post, how to copy and paste a link into a post. Gets easier the more you try it!

Rodney - as Pollyana says, give it a go using your method and see what happens - you might find it works perfectly.

If that doesn't give the result you want, then maybe try printing out the detailed instructions that Pollyana wrote and just try and follow them slowly. You can always ask if you get stuck on a particular bit
Old Aug 25th 2013, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Yonks ago - households in the UK had cake forks to eat it with, but sadly everything in life has degraded! They were a small fork, with a knife edge. Don
Hi Don,
My Mum still has silverware and cutlery that she bought when she and my Dad first got married in 1940, we have those small forks you mention with a knife edge for cake, but we also have little dainty forks and knives that we do use for eating cake, there just a fraction of the size of a regular knife & fork.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You can but try it Rodney, give it a go and see if it works

Cut n paste is effectively what I describe in the first part of my post, how to copy and paste a link into a post. Gets easier the more you try it!
Pollyana thanks, I will try, I wont let it beat me, and as you say practice makes perfect, I will let you know how I get on, and thanks again,
I will do like (REBS) suggested and print your instructions out and just do it step by step,
Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Don't give up Rodney, I know how you feel, but once you have the grasp you will wonder how you found it difficult before.

I'm aged 75 and have just timed how quickly cutting and pasting can be done on my iMac, just 8 seconds. A Youtube link is no different to any other, I go through the same procedure.

Here is is a quick link I've just done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o8PgJPUjfo
Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

OK here goes, Im going to try and atatch this little video clip I stumbled on yesterday, it absolutely cracked me up it was sooooo funny, and then I watched it again and laughed even more, so I really want to share this with everyone ---------- ENJOY!!!! but wish me luck cause I dont know if this will work or not, if it dont then I will keep trying!!!!

voice recognition lift

OK it looks like I did it but not sure if it will work when you click on the link here goes -----------
Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:46 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

OK here goes, Im going to try and atatch this little video clip I stumbled on yesterday, it absolutely cracked me up it was sooooo funny, and then I watched it again and laughed even more, so I really want to share this with everyone ---------- ENJOY!!!! but wish me luck cause I dont know if this will work or not, if it dont then I will keep trying!!!!

voice recognition lift

OK it looks like I did it but not sure if it will work when you click on the link here goes -----------
Nearly there
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

voice recognition lift

OK it dont seem to have worked right, but when you click on the link the OOPPS window comes up ----- click on the magnifying glass and it will take you to the link on you tube ---- titled ---- (Burnistoun voice recognition elevator in Scotland)
Well I got to start cooking the Sunday roast now, ------ roast beef this week with roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, broccoli, and yorkshire pudding, and we are having strawberries and real double thick cream from tescos, Hmmmm ------- well at least what I lack on computer skills I make up with my cooking (:

Last edited by jasper123; Aug 25th 2013 at 11:26 am.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney is this the link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAz_UvnUeuU

For you to try it, highlight the link but don't click, otherwise it will open. Then go through the copy and paste processes which someone else has detailed for you. My Mac might be different.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Hi Don,
My Mum still has silverware and cutlery that she bought when she and my Dad first got married in 1940, we have those small forks you mention with a knife edge for cake, but we also have little dainty forks and knives that we do use for eating cake, there just a fraction of the size of a regular knife & fork.
My Father, was in business, as a Watchmaker & Jeweller, and stocked lots of Cutlery -
And unfortunately, I took everything I owned to Thailand, as I had no intention of returning.
So really have no more to say. A bad move, to take ALL.
Now, I never look back. Just make the most of what you have, and thank the Good Lord, for health. -

Meant to just say to you the other day, Worst thing in life for a guy to endure, is getting out of a warm bed, to go home. regards to you and Mum -Don & Tim
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aries
Rodney is this the link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAz_UvnUeuU

For you to try it, highlight the link but don't click, otherwise it will open. Then go through the copy and paste processes which someone else has detailed for you. My Mac might be different.
Yes aries thats the link, well I will try that what you say later on today but right now I will be slaving over a hot stove for a couple of hours
Old Aug 25th 2013, 12:52 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney,

I signed up via my local library for some free online computer courses and you can do them at your own pace. I am fairly comfortable with a PC, but I know there are simple,little tricks that I didn't learn along the way, so this is a good way to refresh my memory and learn some new things.

Perhaps, there is something similar available through your local library.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123..Dont give up I am still learning and sometimes things just dont work but I keep trying.

My Mother had Fish knives and forks and we had the dainty cake ones.

We just had to replace our fridge and stove in the instructions for both it has a paragraph for the "Sabbath Mode" for turning off lights and dispensers. Never seen that before.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Jasper123..
We just had to replace our fridge and stove in the instructions for both it has a paragraph for the "Sabbath Mode" for turning off lights and dispensers. Never seen that before.
I had to look this up as I have never heard of such a thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbath_mode

Whatever next???
Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I had to look this up as I have never heard of such a thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbath_mode

Whatever next???
My son-in-law is Jewish so I am familiar with it.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aries
Don't give up Rodney, I know how you feel, but once you have the grasp you will wonder how you found it difficult before.

I'm aged 75 and have just timed how quickly cutting and pasting can be done on my iMac, just 8 seconds. A Youtube link is no different to any other, I go through the same procedure.

Here is is a quick link I've just done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o8PgJPUjfo
aries, yes thanks, once I have learned something I never forget it, trouble is some things do take me a little longer then most, but I will get the hang of this in the next couple of days,
And thanks for that clip, lovely song and voices, I really enjoyed it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.