Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 8:37 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Mallory
We were in Kendal, Yorks this summer, and had pizza at a lovely little pizzeria near Booth's supermarket. I'm tucking into my pizza eating as finger food, when I look at my USC hubby - he is eating his pizza with a fork! I said "why are you eating like that?", and he said well look around, everyone else in this restaurant is eating pizza with their knife and fork! It didn't stop me, I was starving, didn't have time for all that.

Then I remembered when my mum came over to the US, and tried to eat pizza and fried chicken with a knife and fork. I can't believe peeps still don't eat pizza as finger food!

PS. Rodney - I would never ask for a doggie bag in UK, I just think it isn't done. Just different custom. I never get DBs anyway. I don't want to see my food a 2nd time around.
I can eat it both ways, but I do prefer to use cutlery especially in a Greek restaurant. Greek pizza is quite thick and more like a pie, unlike a thin crust Italian pizza. Really depends on the environment that I am in.

As for doggie bags, it depends on the meal I am having as to whether or not I would take food home. Pizza, noodles yes. Burger and fries no.

Just occurred to me that I haven't had pizza in the last year. Don't miss it all. Now an "Earls" burger is a different story.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

read all about it, read all about it!!!! front page headlines in the daily mirror today, the NHS is seriously considering flying people to India and paying for them to have there operations there, they said it would be cheaper by far even with the cost of the flight, ALL flight and treatment in India Hospitals will still be free for the NHS patients,
They said that not only will the NHS save a ton of money, it will in time take care of Britons NHS rather long waiting lists for some operations,
And they also said that the Surgeons in India are very highly trained in all the latest, and in a lot of areas the hospitals there are very well equipped with all the latest machines and technology, as good or even better in some cases they admitted then in the U.K. hospitals,
the Jeremy vine show on bbc2 radio today covered the subject, and asked people to phone in with there comments, and they were asked would they agree to fly to India for there operation if it meant no waiting list, and all paid for by the NHS ---- and most people said HELL YES!!!!
Speaking for myself I know I would not even have to think about it, especially if the NHS waiting time in the UK would be a year or 18 months ---- and I was in a lot of pain like for example if I needed a hip replacement, or say a full knee replacement.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The Uk will do them sometimes, have to ask though. A lot of places now have those plastic containers you get Chinese takeaways in and will put the extra food in them for you. Always worth asking!
Pollyana, hello, could you please explain to me what I have to do to insert a link from say youtube or from other internet sites into my post in B.E.? I have no idea how to do this, so could you please explain it step by step in idiot terms,
Thanks a lot,
Rodney.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney,

If I were you Id carry a ziplock bag just incase you want to take steak home, why worry what others think, youve paid for it, I hate wasting food, its just the way I was brought up, people are still starving in this world...

I suppose it all depends on wether the food would taste as good warmed up, not all things do...

Brits and Pizza, It cracks me up when they say Chips n Pizza, I love Chips but with Pizza, lol...
Old Aug 24th 2013, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Rodney,

If I were you Id carry a ziplock bag just incase you want to take steak home, why worry what others think, youve paid for it, I hate wasting food, its just the way I was brought up, people are still starving in this world...

I suppose it all depends on wether the food would taste as good warmed up, not all things do...

Brits and Pizza, It cracks me up when they say Chips n Pizza, I love Chips but with Pizza, lol...
thats great advice fish, I will take an english version of a ziplock bag the next time I go out to eat, and also a carrier bag to conceal it, then I wont get any nasty looks from the locals when I leave the restaurant
the way I Look at food to be taken home, (if one cant eat it all) steak if its a good portion, pizza, salmon, but not fish & chips, and no chips period, and not a hamburger, or any part of a full english, but I would take home half a giant pastie, ---- so thats it for me from now on im taking a zip-lock bag with me
Old Aug 24th 2013, 7:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Pollyana, hello, could you please explain to me what I have to do to insert a link from say youtube or from other internet sites into my post in B.E.? I have no idea how to do this, so could you please explain it step by step in idiot terms,
Thanks a lot,
Rodney.
Hi Rodney, OK, I'll have a go!

If you want to insert a link from another site, open up the Reply window on here and type in whatever you want to say.

Then go to the tab or window that has the page you want to link to in it, and go to the address bar at the top of that page - if its a BBC link it might start www.bbc.co.......... for instance.

Highlight the address by dragging the cursor along it and then while the address is still highlighted, press the CONTROL and C keys together. That copies the address onto a clipboard. OR press the right hand mouse button whilst the address is highlighted and choose the COPY option from the menu that appears.

Go back to the Reply window where you want to insert the link, put the cursor where you want the link to appear, and press CONTROL and V together. That should paste the link into the reply window. OR put the cursor in the right space, press the right hand mouse button and choose PASTE.

==================================

HYPERLINKING is a flashier way of inserting the link that turns a word or a phrase into a link within a post.

So if you want to replace the words British Expats with a link to the forum - Open up the Reply window on here and type in whatever you want to say, maybe Here is the British Expats forum .

Then go to the tab or window that has the page you want to link to in it, and go to the address bar at the top of that page which in this case would say http://britishexpats.com/forum/

Highlight the address by dragging the cursor along it and then while the address is still highlighted, press the CONTROL and C keys together. That copies the address onto a clipboard. OR press the right hand mouse button whilst the address is highlighted and choose the COPY option from the menu that appears.

Go back to the Reply window and find the words that you want to replace with the link - ie British Expats - and highlight those words by dragging the cursor across them.

Go to the top of the Reply box and you will see a little blue globe. Press that and a little window will appear. Put the cursor in that and press CONTROL and V together. That should paste the link into the little pop-up window. OR put the cursor in the pop-up window, press the right hand mouse button and choose PASTE.

Press OK and it should appear in the reply window like this British Expats

--------------------------------------------------------------

Youtube is a bit different. You can either link it like the first example above, just copy and paste the link, or

open up the Reply window on here and type in whatever you want to say.

Then go to the tab or window that has the you tube video on it, and go to the address bar at the top of that page which will start something like http://www.youtube.com/watch

Go back to the Reply window where you want to insert the link and put the cursor where you want the link to appear. Then go to the top of the Reply box and click on the icon that looks like a film spool - next to the little envelope.
Press that and a little window will appear. Put the cursor in that and press CONTROL and V together. That should paste the link into the little pop-up window. OR put the cursor in the pop-up window, press the right hand mouse button and choose PASTE.

Press OK and it should appear in the reply window like this

-------------------------------

Hopefully that will all make sense but if it doesn't, please ask and I'll try again!

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 24th 2013 at 7:42 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm off pizza right now. Sick of it. I was hungry this morning and I got up and microwaved a slice to eat. Again I'm off pizza.

About eating with your fingers, no one mentioned fish and chips.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I'm off pizza right now. Sick of it. I was hungry this morning and I got up and microwaved a slice to eat. Again I'm off pizza.

Breakfast of champions.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh pollyana thanks so much for going to all that trouble for me, WOW Im absolutely flabbergasted, now I know why Ive never bothered to learn how to do it, I bought my first computer 15 years ago and I have had one ever since, and I still have never known even how to cut and paste,
I know its not rocket science but oh WOW I dont know if I will be able to learn how to do this, I know how to insert a link into an email, I usually right click the link and save it to documents, wether it be a pic or video clip or text from a site
and then I get into typing my email to my friends and then I just click on attach link in my email window and go into my documents and click on the link that I saved and it uploads into my email, and then I just have to send the email,
Now I only wish it could be that easy to insert or attach a link from my documents to B.E. pollyanna do you think I could do it that way? cause although Im very thankful for all your explaining ----- I really dont think I can do it that way, to me it seems so complicated, I would get lost half way through the process
Old Aug 24th 2013, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
Breakfast of champions.
cheers if you put a slice of pizza in the microwave it will go all soggy thats why the next day you eat it cold, yummy or heat it up in the oven for 10 minutes and it stays crispy,
you got that right curleytops ------breakfast of champions!!!
Old Aug 24th 2013, 10:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

cheers if you put a slice of pizza in the microwave it will go all soggy thats why the next day you eat it cold, yummy or heat it up in the oven for 10 minutes and it stays crispy,
you got that right curleytops ------breakfast of champions!!!
Right there with you Rodney, Cold pizza for breakfast Yum. Microwaved pizza is soggy.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 12:09 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

I did think about that! Also in UK people eat cake with their fingers, and in US people eat cake with a fork!
Old Aug 25th 2013, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I did think about that! Also in UK people eat cake with their fingers, and in US people eat cake with a fork!
In the UK they eat ice cream with their 'ands (in de cone) and in the US they use a spoon.

About that pizza thing. You may guess what I had for tea? I have to admit it was good.

I got my computer going after it was down for 36 hours. I switched carriers and although it was a nose bleed the new carrier seems much better and cheaper.
I think I was paying $65 for internet and phone, with unlimited long distance, and now I'm down to about $35 for both but .15 for long distance.

The doctor wants me to loose 20 lbs and to do that all I can eat is green salads. I can do it but it keeps me awake at night because I'm hungry.

Now lets see I could die of a heart attack, because of my diabetes, or I could die of hunger.

End of ramble.

Cheers
Old Aug 25th 2013, 6:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh pollyana thanks so much for going to all that trouble for me, WOW Im absolutely flabbergasted, now I know why Ive never bothered to learn how to do it, I bought my first computer 15 years ago and I have had one ever since, and I still have never known even how to cut and paste,
I know its not rocket science but oh WOW I dont know if I will be able to learn how to do this, I know how to insert a link into an email, I usually right click the link and save it to documents, wether it be a pic or video clip or text from a site
and then I get into typing my email to my friends and then I just click on attach link in my email window and go into my documents and click on the link that I saved and it uploads into my email, and then I just have to send the email,
Now I only wish it could be that easy to insert or attach a link from my documents to B.E. pollyanna do you think I could do it that way? cause although Im very thankful for all your explaining ----- I really dont think I can do it that way, to me it seems so complicated, I would get lost half way through the process
You can but try it Rodney, give it a go and see if it works

Cut n paste is effectively what I describe in the first part of my post, how to copy and paste a link into a post. Gets easier the more you try it!
Old Aug 25th 2013, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Yonks ago - households in the UK had cake forks to eat it with, but sadly everything in life has degraded! They were a small fork, with a knife edge. Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.