Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Obviously a fan of Tom Jones aka:'You Can Leave Your Hat On'!
Possibly had been watching The Full Monty
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Possibly had been watching The Full Monty
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have got a question for everyone on here, those of you who are now living in the UK like me, and also for those of you who still have not made it yet but do come over now and then on holidays,
OK now in the U.S. when we go to a restaurant for a nice meal and we say order a steak or prime rib or lobster or whatever ------ it is very common and even expected to ask for a doggie bag if you cant eat it all, and so to take the rest home and finnish it later or the next day, I have done this many times in USA, its customary,
Now this is my question, does anyone know if this would or could be done here in the U.K. or would the food server say no we dont do that here?
Or maybe they would allow you to take home half your expensive steak but maybe Brits are too embarrassed to ask, Im thinking that maybe people here just think its one of those things that are just not done,
Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing after eating at an English restaurant in the U.K.?
I would love to hear any experiences that people have had on this subject,
and how about the people who live in Australia or Canada, is it accepted there in restaurants to ask for a doggie bag?
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
I have got a question for everyone on here, those of you who are now living in the UK like me, and also for those of you who still have not made it yet but do come over now and then on holidays,
OK now in the U.S. when we go to a restaurant for a nice meal and we say order a steak or prime rib or lobster or whatever ------ it is very common and even expected to ask for a doggie bag if you cant eat it all, and so to take the rest home and finnish it later or the next day, I have done this many times in USA, its customary,
Now this is my question, does anyone know if this would or could be done here in the U.K. or would the food server say no we dont do that here?
Or maybe they would allow you to take home half your expensive steak but maybe Brits are too embarrassed to ask, Im thinking that maybe people here just think its one of those things that are just not done,
Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing after eating at an English restaurant in the U.K.?
and how about the people who live in Australia or Canada, is it accepted there in restaurants to ask for a doggie bag?
Interesting question.
Yes, completely common in USA.
Here in France, not done at all.
In my experience in the UK, in an Indian restaurant, even a fine dining sort of one, you can do it , especially if they also do take-out meals.

I don't think I've ever done it in other restaurants, though, and I have a feeling it "isn't done." I would hesitate to ask. But it depends I think on the casualness, or otherwise, of the place.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 3:43 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

In Canada it is common to get a doggie bag. In some places, if you leave anything on your plate, the server will automatically ask if you would like to take the remainder home. I haven't seen any evidence of doggie bags in the UK. Years ago, the portions in the UK were much smaller, so perhaps there was probably no need for them. However, I have noticed the portion sizes expanding along with the size of the plates, bowls, cups etc, so perhaps they will come into fashion here.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 3:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
In Canada it is common to get a doggie bag. In some places, if you leave anything on your plate, the server will automatically ask if you would like to take the remainder home. I haven't seen any evidence of doggie bags in the UK. Years ago, the portions in the UK were much smaller, so perhaps there was probably no need for them. However, I have noticed the portion sizes expanding along with the size of the plates, bowls, cups etc, so perhaps they will come into fashion here.
The Uk will do them sometimes, have to ask though. A lot of places now have those plastic containers you get Chinese takeaways in and will put the extra food in them for you. Always worth asking!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Interesting question.
Yes, completely common in USA.
Here in France, not done at all.
In my experience in the UK, in an Indian restaurant, even a fine dining sort of one, you can do it , especially if they also do take-out meals.

I don't think I've ever done it in other restaurants, though, and I have a feeling it "isn't done." I would hesitate to ask. But it depends I think on the casualness, or otherwise, of the place.
I think your last part of your post makes a lot of sense ---- I would hesitate to ask. but it depends I think on the casualness or otherwise, of the place.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

It is a 'not the done thing' thing in UK.
I had heard it said that it is against health and safety or EU regulations but apparently this is not so per this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15106212
It may be in this litigious society that resturants fear being sued if someone gets sick from improperly stored doggy bags contents taken home.

I have never asked for a doggie bag in UK, but I do take note of serving sizes being presented to other customers - and if they look too large I will order a starter or a lite bite. In pubs DW will order the sandwich and I will order chips and we share them. Not cos we cheap, I just don't need a large serving. If ordering burgers I will often ask for no bun cos I find the bun to be the most filling (and least desirable part) or if ordering steak I ask for no onion rings or other automatic side.

Britain has too many snobby hang up's about what is proper.

I find it weird to see UK people eating pizza with the proper stick insect posture, elbows in, dissecting with knife and fork. Pizza is Finger Food, people !!!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:14 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have eaten pizza without a knife and fork, but if I am in restaurant I always eat it with cutlery even after 30 years in Canada. I blame my mum for her strict adherence to dining etiquette. She never had a pizza in her life, but I guarantee she would have eaten it with a knife and fork.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago when I lived in Toronto, I frequented this great little pizza place just off Yonge / Eglinton. To this day I always remember what the owner, Mario (born and raised in Italy) used to say.....Eating the first slice with a knife and fork was allowed while the pizza was still really hot and the toppings could be gooey. After that, when the sauce had a chance to settle a bit, it was strictly fingers only. Those were Mario's rules and we regulars lived by them or else. Damn I miss his pizzas.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
I have eaten pizza without a knife and fork, but if I am in restaurant I always eat it with cutlery even after 30 years in Canada. I blame my mum for her strict adherence to dining etiquette. She never had a pizza in her life, but I guarantee she would have eaten it with a knife and fork.
As John said pizza is finger food ---- you eat it with your fingers, but over here they have very strange ways of eating finger foods like pizza or spare ribs ---- can you imagine eating THEM with a knife & fork or chicken wings
My Mum seldom eats pizza but whenever she does she eats it with a knife and fork, it looks so strange and awkward to see her do that, the first time she ate pizza with a knife & fork it was in a pizza joint in Las Vegas and my new york friend looked at her in amazement,
I think what it is is the older people in the U.K. are just so not into finger food, and its kind of new to them and they just dont know how one is supposed to eat certain things, I mean if you think about it BBQ spare ribs and pizza and the like was not around in England in there day, but in america these foods have been around forever so thats probably why you would never see an older american in his 90's for instance eat a pizza with a knife & fork.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

As John said pizza is finger food ---- you eat it with your fingers, but over here they have very strange ways of eating finger foods like pizza or spare ribs ---- can you imagine eating THEM with a knife & fork or chicken wings
My Mum seldom eats pizza but whenever she does she eats it with a knife and fork, it looks so strange and awkward to see her do that, the first time she ate pizza with a knife & fork it was in a pizza joint in Las Vegas and my new york friend looked at her in amazement,
I think what it is is the older people in the U.K. are just so not into finger food, and its kind of new to them and they just dont know how one is supposed to eat certain things, I mean if you think about it BBQ spare ribs and pizza and the like was not around in England in there day, but in america these foods have been around forever so thats probably why you would never see an older american in his 90's for instance eat a pizza with a knife & fork.
Oh Boy, I miss those big Sam's Club packs of frozen buffalo wings! Where's the salivating smiley?
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 5:11 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Absolutely right. My mum only went abroad once in her life and had little exposure to other cultures. The closest she came to pizza would have been the best ice cream in the world that the Italian cafe owners, who settled in Glasgow, used to serve. Delish!!!

Speaking of Italians, I recently visited the Italian Chapel on Orkney. It was built by the Italian POW's during WWII. Well worth a visit if you go to Orkney.

All you finger food types, please get your elbows off the table!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 5:13 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
Multi-region DVD players are a dime a dozen here, no problem with that, just buy the cheapest one you can find. As for loading DVD's onto your PC, I'm afraid that takes a lot of real estate. In DVD format, your file size is approx. 4.3 Gigs. You can convert to smaller formats such as AVI which generally run about 700-800 megs which I have done with many of mine but it still adds up quickly on your drive. I try to keep that sort of thing on an external hard drive. To save hard drive space, you can also burn these files to dvd and play through a dvd player that supports those formats to your tv. You burn them as you would any data disc and on average you can get about 5 or 6 movies on a disc. I find these sort of files fine when played on the laptop or a smaller screen TV. My Dad has 32" flat screen and says the picture resolution is fine but ours is a 40" and I do notice a bit degradation in picture quality.
Thanks CT. I am going to put that on my project list and try loading some of my DVD's onto my portable HD.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 8:00 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
We were in Kendal, Cumbria this summer, and had pizza at a lovely little pizzeria near Booth's supermarket. I'm tucking into my pizza eating as finger food, when I look at my USC hubby - he is eating his pizza with a fork! I said "why are you eating like that?", and he said well look around, everyone else in this restaurant is eating pizza with their knife and fork! It didn't stop me, I was starving, didn't have time for all that.

Then I remembered when my mum came over to the US, and tried to eat pizza and fried chicken with a knife and fork. I can't believe peeps still don't eat pizza as finger food!

PS. Rodney - I would never ask for a doggie bag in UK, I just think it isn't done. Just different custom. I never get DBs anyway. I don't want to see my food a 2nd time around.

Last edited by Mallory; Aug 23rd 2013 at 8:58 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.