Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123
Doc Martin's new season is starting soon, they keep advertising it on TV,
cant wait!!!!
Also the new season of Dowton Abbey starts soon, and so there showing all the repeats of last season every night of the week now so people can catch-up if they missed any episodes,
Yesterday on the bbc radio 2 on the jeremy vine show, they were talking about the huge success of the teeny bopper pop group one direction!!! and there was a 9 year old english girl describing how cute they are, and she mentioned the american word Awesome 4 times, Im just using as an example how the influence of American TV and films has on British people starting at a very young age here, Awesome is quite an old word that has been used in US for probably way over 15 years I think, and they are just picking it up here!!!!
I don't get out much but I can't remember the last time I heard someone use that word so we must have exported it to the UK
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123
Doc Martin's new season is starting soon, they keep advertising it on TV,
cant wait!!!!
Also the new season of Dowton Abbey starts soon, and so there showing all the repeats of last season every night of the week now so people can catch-up if they missed any episodes,
Yesterday on the bbc radio 2 on the jeremy vine show, they were talking about the huge success of the teeny bopper pop group one direction!!! and there was a 9 year old english girl describing how cute they are, and she mentioned the american word Awesome 4 times, Im just using as an example how the influence of American TV and films has on British people starting at a very young age here, Awesome is quite an old word that has been used in US for probably way over 15 years I think, and they are just picking it up here!!!!
I think I read that we wont get Downton Abbey until January which will be about 4 months after you lot!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Can anyone report any rain? I love that stuff!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:21 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Tip it over lid down on the floor and get a spray nozzle on the hose, spray from a distance Dh does our regular bins this way.
Originally Posted by J.JsOH
I use how wash up water after doing the dishes and swish it around in there with a long handled broom before tipping it out around back of compost bin
Thanks. I tried the garden hose the last time, but I think I need to add some muscle power to get rid of the grime. I wish I could find the attachment to the wee mop I have in the shed.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:22 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Can anyone report any rain? I love that stuff!
Very little this year. I never thought I would have been hand watering my outdoor pots as much as I have this year.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

It is not often that we go out to town in the eveing but we did tonight because we had the carpets cleaned and need to stay off them for 24 hours.

At night we had different observations to day time.
The pubs and more so the resturants were very busy.
Young people were dressed very smartly and well behaved.
The cheapo pizza / pasta resturant that offers two for one was fronted by a snooty slavic person that said we needed to book ahead if we expect to eat there.
The chain pub provided curry and a pint for £5.99 and it was good.
McDonalds stays open until 11 pm.
The bookmakers stay open until 10 p.m.
There was a rat running through town center street.
Alighting from our bus home a neighbour was in their bedroom without curtains drawn, light on, naked except for a hat!!

Just an observation.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:12 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Alighting from our bus home a neighbour was in their bedroom without curtains drawn, light on, naked except for a hat!!

Just an observation.
I'm sure that is because we are told that we lose most of our body heat through our head!

Sounds as though you had an interesting evening out.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It is not often that we go out to town in the eveing but we did tonight because we had the carpets cleaned and need to stay off them for 24 hours.

The cheapo pizza / pasta resturant that offers two for one was fronted by a snooty slavic person that said we needed to book ahead if we expect to eat there.

Just an observation.
Wasn't expecting that one.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Just an observation.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure this subject has been covered before. i understand that DVD's cannot be played in the UK even if one brings "home" a USA MacBook. What about purely CDs?? Music ????
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:20 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I am sure this subject has been covered before. i understand that DVD's cannot be played in the UK even if one brings "home" a USA MacBook. What about purely CDs?? Music ????
You can apparently buy those DVD players that will play any format. Someone else had said something about taking them back and was told they are readily available.
Music CD's are the same in both places aren't they? We have all the music on our Mac and put in on the iPod or listen straight from the computer.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:58 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

CD's are universal so no problems there. DVD's need to be played on a multi region player, which you should be able to get in the UK. My wee telly, in the kitchen, has a built in DVD player and it plays my North American DVD's.

I would like to know if you can load all your DVD's onto a PC or does that require a gazillion mega bytes?
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Just an observation.
Sounds like you had a busy night!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
CD's are universal so no problems there. DVD's need to be played on a multi region player, which you should be able to get in the UK. My wee telly, in the kitchen, has a built in DVD player and it plays my North American DVD's.

I would like to know if you can load all your DVD's onto a PC or does that require a gazillion mega bytes?
Multi-region DVD players are a dime a dozen here, no problem with that, just buy the cheapest one you can find. As for loading DVD's onto your PC, I'm afraid that takes a lot of real estate. In DVD format, your file size is approx. 4.3 Gigs. You can convert to smaller formats such as AVI which generally run about 700-800 megs which I have done with many of mine but it still adds up quickly on your drive. I try to keep that sort of thing on an external hard drive. To save hard drive space, you can also burn these files to dvd and play through a dvd player that supports those formats to your tv. You burn them as you would any data disc and on average you can get about 5 or 6 movies on a disc. I find these sort of files fine when played on the laptop or a smaller screen TV. My Dad has 32" flat screen and says the picture resolution is fine but ours is a 40" and I do notice a bit degradation in picture quality.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Just an observation.
Obviously a fan of Tom Jones aka:'You Can Leave Your Hat On'!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.