British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Aug 22nd 2013 3:17 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10863607)
Doc Martin's new season is starting soon, they keep advertising it on TV,
cant wait!!!!
Also the new season of Dowton Abbey starts soon, and so there showing all the repeats of last season every night of the week now so people can catch-up if they missed any episodes,
Yesterday on the bbc radio 2 on the jeremy vine show, they were talking about the huge success of the teeny bopper pop group one direction!!! and there was a 9 year old english girl describing how cute they are, and she mentioned the american word Awesome 4 times, Im just using as an example how the influence of American TV and films has on British people starting at a very young age here, Awesome is quite an old word that has been used in US for probably way over 15 years I think, and they are just picking it up here!!!!

I don't get out much but I can't remember the last time I heard someone use that word so we must have exported it to the UK:)

cheers Aug 22nd 2013 3:19 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10863607)
Doc Martin's new season is starting soon, they keep advertising it on TV,
cant wait!!!!
Also the new season of Dowton Abbey starts soon, and so there showing all the repeats of last season every night of the week now so people can catch-up if they missed any episodes,
Yesterday on the bbc radio 2 on the jeremy vine show, they were talking about the huge success of the teeny bopper pop group one direction!!! and there was a 9 year old english girl describing how cute they are, and she mentioned the american word Awesome 4 times, Im just using as an example how the influence of American TV and films has on British people starting at a very young age here, Awesome is quite an old word that has been used in US for probably way over 15 years I think, and they are just picking it up here!!!!

I think I read that we wont get Downton Abbey until January which will be about 4 months after you lot!:p

cheers Aug 22nd 2013 3:19 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Can anyone report any rain? I love that stuff!

lf1 Aug 22nd 2013 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10862582)
Tip it over lid down on the floor and get a spray nozzle on the hose, spray from a distance Dh does our regular bins this way.:lol:

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10862604)
I use how wash up water after doing the dishes and swish it around in there with a long handled broom before tipping it out around back of compost bin

Thanks. I tried the garden hose the last time, but I think I need to add some muscle power to get rid of the grime. I wish I could find the attachment to the wee mop I have in the shed.:)

lf1 Aug 22nd 2013 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10863973)
Can anyone report any rain? I love that stuff!

Very little this year. I never thought I would have been hand watering my outdoor pots as much as I have this year.

J.JsOH Aug 22nd 2013 9:03 pm

It is not often that we go out to town in the eveing but we did tonight because we had the carpets cleaned and need to stay off them for 24 hours.

At night we had different observations to day time.
The pubs and more so the resturants were very busy.
Young people were dressed very smartly and well behaved.
The cheapo pizza / pasta resturant that offers two for one was fronted by a snooty slavic person that said we needed to book ahead if we expect to eat there.
The chain pub provided curry and a pint for £5.99 and it was good.
McDonalds stays open until 11 pm.
The bookmakers stay open until 10 p.m.
There was a rat running through town center street.
Alighting from our bus home a neighbour was in their bedroom without curtains drawn, light on, naked except for a hat!!

Just an observation.

lf1 Aug 22nd 2013 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10864648)
Alighting from our bus home a neighbour was in their bedroom without curtains drawn, light on, naked except for a hat!!

Just an observation.

I'm sure that is because we are told that we lose most of our body heat through our head!:lol:

Sounds as though you had an interesting evening out.

Mummy in the foothills Aug 22nd 2013 10:46 pm

It is not often that we go out to town in the eveing but we did tonight because we had the carpets cleaned and need to stay off them for 24 hours.

The cheapo pizza / pasta resturant that offers two for one was fronted by a snooty slavic person that said we needed to book ahead if we expect to eat there.

Just an observation.

:rofl: Wasn't expecting that one.

scrubbedexpat097 Aug 23rd 2013 12:35 am

Just an observation.

:lol:

Celticspirit Aug 23rd 2013 3:34 am

I am sure this subject has been covered before. i understand that DVD's cannot be played in the UK even if one brings "home" a USA MacBook. What about purely CDs?? Music ????

Mummy in the foothills Aug 23rd 2013 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10865069)
I am sure this subject has been covered before. i understand that DVD's cannot be played in the UK even if one brings "home" a USA MacBook. What about purely CDs?? Music ????

You can apparently buy those DVD players that will play any format. Someone else had said something about taking them back and was told they are readily available.
Music CD's are the same in both places aren't they? We have all the music on our Mac and put in on the iPod or listen straight from the computer.

lf1 Aug 23rd 2013 6:58 am

CD's are universal so no problems there. DVD's need to be played on a multi region player, which you should be able to get in the UK. My wee telly, in the kitchen, has a built in DVD player and it plays my North American DVD's.

I would like to know if you can load all your DVD's onto a PC or does that require a gazillion mega bytes?

curleytops Aug 23rd 2013 8:41 am

Just an observation.

:hysterical: Sounds like you had a busy night!

curleytops Aug 23rd 2013 9:04 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10865164)
CD's are universal so no problems there. DVD's need to be played on a multi region player, which you should be able to get in the UK. My wee telly, in the kitchen, has a built in DVD player and it plays my North American DVD's.

I would like to know if you can load all your DVD's onto a PC or does that require a gazillion mega bytes?

Multi-region DVD players are a dime a dozen here, no problem with that, just buy the cheapest one you can find. As for loading DVD's onto your PC, I'm afraid that takes a lot of real estate. In DVD format, your file size is approx. 4.3 Gigs. You can convert to smaller formats such as AVI which generally run about 700-800 megs which I have done with many of mine but it still adds up quickly on your drive. I try to keep that sort of thing on an external hard drive. To save hard drive space, you can also burn these files to dvd and play through a dvd player that supports those formats to your tv. You burn them as you would any data disc and on average you can get about 5 or 6 movies on a disc. I find these sort of files fine when played on the laptop or a smaller screen TV. My Dad has 32" flat screen and says the picture resolution is fine but ours is a 40" and I do notice a bit degradation in picture quality.

TheEmperorIsNaked Aug 23rd 2013 9:05 am

Just an observation.

Obviously a fan of Tom Jones aka:'You Can Leave Your Hat On'!:lol: