Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Aug 3rd 2013, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
So how does the weather this summer compare with last year?

Cheers
Cheers - Nearly like being back in Thailand - but a shortage of young females, giving the eye!
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Cheers - Nearly like being back in Thailand - but a shortage of young females, giving the eye!
I would think that Thailand would be humid and hot. Maybe that was your point, darrrr!
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
summer last year was 1 week in March I think

It was still snowing when I left in April but I'm told that there's been some lovely weather for a while now
Yes we've enjoyed some lovely warm weather for about three weeks. Some people have called it hot, even scorching, but nothing like Adelaide in the summer!
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I would think that Thailand would be humid and hot. Maybe that was your point, darrrr!
Yes cheers thats what Don meant, for quite a few weeks now at least down south it has been quite hot for English standards, and no rain at all, its been over 80f often, and 90,s for a while, well im used to the heat of Vegas as you know, 112 aint nothing there, but you dont get any humidity at all there, so a dry hot 112f is a lot more bearable then 90f with 80% or 90% humidity
but unfortunately here in England you mostly always get high humidity with the heat ------- just like Thailand!!!! and for me Im afraid I have to say this high humidity when its hot is for the birds, Im just not used to it and it knocks you on your Ass very quickly,
and today it was very warm still, and the humidity was so darn uncomfortable,

But as Don said ------ its like Thailand but without the lovely friendly smiles of the beautiful young Females.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 10:42 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney,

I know you have mentioned Mrs Brown's Boys??? I have seen a couple of clips on You Tube, but I haven't followed it. Tonight, I happened upon an episode and there were some good lines that made me laugh out loud. i might give it another try.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Rodney,

I know you have mentioned Mrs Brown's Boys??? I have seen a couple of clips on You Tube, but I haven't followed it. Tonight, I happened upon an episode and there were some good lines that made me laugh out loud. i might give it another try.
I love it myself, but each to his own, its like the type of very dry old British humor that Ive always liked, and with Mrs Browns Boys its made in Southern Ireland (not UK) and with an all Irish cast, maybe that's why it works so well.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I made a three day trip to Frome, Somerset and here is what I found in visual format:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7634920122157/

The countryside was as beautiful as ever. The friends were great to visit with. The weather was warm verging on hot. The town was the same - dirty streets, dog mess and irritating to walk through. I took the train from Frome back to Dawlish, and the train station was being refurbished so was covered in scaffolding and blue mesh tarps. These tarps were used for the attachment of various 'tributes' as depicted in two of the photos. Such a pity - it could be a beautiful little town if only this element of its citizenry were not there. I won't be relocating, but I shall make every attempt to visit my friends more frequently - many of them are in their 90s.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

islandwoman120,

Just looked at the photos (thanks for posting) well its certainly a town of "contrasts"!
Old Aug 4th 2013, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting to see how places can be so different. Makes one think it's imperative to check out a place as much as possible before settling on it if it's unknown. Or may be renting first...?

Glad you have came to a decision about whether to move back to Frome or not. It does seem to make sense to stay where the town is better managed vis a vis dirt etc, or just doesn't have that same amount of thoughtless people....or whatever is the reason that makes Dawlish better about these things.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I made a three day trip to Frome, Somerset and here is what I found in visual format:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7634920122157/

The countryside was as beautiful as ever. The friends were great to visit with. The weather was warm verging on hot. The town was the same - dirty streets, dog mess and irritating to walk through. I took the train from Frome back to Dawlish, and the train station was being refurbished so was covered in scaffolding and blue mesh tarps. These tarps were used for the attachment of various 'tributes' as depicted in two of the photos. Such a pity - it could be a beautiful little town if only this element of its citizenry were not there. I won't be relocating, but I shall make every attempt to visit my friends more frequently - many of them are in their 90s.
Frome is no worse than many many UK towns though. I've finally got to stand up for it a bit having family living there, and other family who visit regularly. Yes it has run-down areas, it has chavs and dropouts, but so do most towns - if Dawlish doesn't, then I'm impressed
I'm so glad they are doing up the station at last - if it means time spent with blue tarps everywhere, at least the locals will end up with something better than the windswept platforms they had before - I've spent hours on that station, so has my mum, and its COLD!!! Its needed doing up for years, very glad its finally happening.

I know impressions are all very personal and I respect the fact that you've been honest about your impressions - but I just want to let people know Frome isn't all bad, never has been, and although the last few years have been bad employment-wise which naturally affects the town as a whole, don't dismiss it out of hand its just another town that is no longer the prosperous centre it used to be.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes cheers thats what Don meant, for quite a few weeks now at least down south it has been quite hot for English standards, and no rain at all, its been over 80f often, and 90,s for a while, well im used to the heat of Vegas as you know, 112 aint nothing there, but you dont get any humidity at all there, so a dry hot 112f is a lot more bearable then 90f with 80% or 90% humidity
but unfortunately here in England you mostly always get high humidity with the heat ------- just like Thailand!!!! and for me Im afraid I have to say this high humidity when its hot is for the birds, Im just not used to it and it knocks you on your Ass very quickly,
and today it was very warm still, and the humidity was so darn uncomfortable,

But as Don said ------ its like Thailand but without the lovely friendly smiles of the beautiful young Females.
So I'm in las vega for two days. Hot.
Last night we went out to the Cheesecake Factory restaurant with the family and there were 10 of us. It was on me. I think it will be a long time before I go back there. It seemed to me to be mass chaos. We had to wait about an hour for our table and then an hour for our meal. In the mean time we had filled up on the bread and butter so we couldn't finish the meal (samon and beef) the bill was $150 which they included a 15% tip. When they gave the cc slip to sign they left a space for any additional tip (yes this is Las Vegas, the tip crazy city).
The light was so low, the noise level was so high from people's conversations, the service was so slow, as mentioned, (Saturday night). on top of all this my daughter in law got hit really hard on the side of her head by a 'server' who was not watching what she was doing. My dil tried not to cry but? She got hit by a plate the server was trying to put on the table, och!
It was entertaining to watch the customers. Typical Las Vegas types, dressed weird. One example was this an over weight man, wearing a tank top (we use to call them sleeveless vests) he had rings attached to his various parts of his head
and tattoos all over his body and there was writing on the back of his vest, "Soldiers for Christ" ?????

cheers, in this weird place called Las Vegas
Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Frome is no worse than many many UK towns though. I've finally got to stand up for it a bit having family living there, and other family who visit regularly. Yes it has run-down areas, it has chavs and dropouts, but so do most towns - if Dawlish doesn't, then I'm impressed
I'm so glad they are doing up the station at last - if it means time spent with blue tarps everywhere, at least the locals will end up with something better than the windswept platforms they had before - I've spent hours on that station, so has my mum, and its COLD!!! Its needed doing up for years, very glad its finally happening.

I know impressions are all very personal and I respect the fact that you've been honest about your impressions - but I just want to let people know Frome isn't all bad, never has been, and although the last few years have been bad employment-wise which naturally affects the town as a whole, don't dismiss it out of hand its just another town that is no longer the prosperous centre it used to be.
So true. On my recent visit, DW wanted to check out Ross on Wye and she was disappointed. It was not the way she remembered it.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Last night we went out to the Cheesecake Factory restaurant with the family and there were 10 of us. It was on me. I think it will be a long time before I go back there. It seemed to me to be mass chaos. We had to wait about an hour for our table and then an hour for our meal. In the mean time we had filled up on the bread and butter so we couldn't finish the meal (samon and beef) the bill was $150 which they included a 15% tip. When they gave the cc slip to sign they left a space for any additional tip (yes this is Las Vegas, the tip crazy city).
The light was so low, the noise level was so high from people's conversations, the service was so slow, as mentioned, (Saturday night). on top of all this my daughter in law got hit really hard on the side of her head by a 'server' who was not watching what she was doing. My dil tried not to cry but? She got hit by a plate the server was trying to put on the table, och!
It was entertaining to watch the customers. Typical Las Vegas types, dressed weird. One example was this an over weight man, wearing a tank top (we use to call them sleeveless vests) he had rings attached to his various parts of his head
and tattoos all over his body and there was writing on the back of his vest, "Soldiers for Christ" ?????

You gotta love Vegas for what it is. Crass, OTT and sinful. I still laugh at the down and outs dressed in cartoon character costumes, some I'm sure,that have never been washed ever.( costumes that is, though the wearers may also fall into that category. The sight of three Mini mouses sat together confused the children. They were confused even more when one started slugging a bottle of bud light. Three days is always enough for me.

Don't miss the Grand canyon.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

I know it's no worse than other UK towns - it is probably better than many. But when I am looking for a home I want certain things, and dog poo and used condoms in public places is not on my list. Frome has a lot going for it culturally and artistically, and those elements are missing in Dawlish. Dawlish is reasonably clean because there are many street cleaners - this is a tourist area with lots of activities, ending in lots of rubbish, and there are now double the amount of rubbish bins in the public areas. Also the citizens take pride in where they live, and some clean the streets in their area between regular paid street cleaning as well as maintain the plants and vines that grow prolifically.

When I stayed in Frome this time I stayed in a different area, slightly out of the main center, and had a peaceful experience. Most of the problems seem to be located in the town center where the pubs and night clubs are. Depending on where you live, your experience will vary, which is no surprise. Which is what Rodney said about Pompey - turn the corner and things change.

If you are moving some place new, renting is a good idea for a year or so - moving is expensive and selling and moving must be a nightmare.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi cheers, Hmmmm the cheesecake factory restaurant is one place to always avoid, well I guess you wont be going there anymore huh?
I find the main thing I had to get used to when I came home is eating out, I used to cook at home in Vegas most of the time like I do now, but I always went out to eat in Vegas two nights a week on my days off, and I always looked forward to it, and I always went with one of my friends, we had our favorite places that we would like to go, I used to love steak & lobster for $15 at a few local places, and the best place I found for a very good tender T-bone or sirloin steak was the gold coast casino across road from the palms casino, there special was always the 10 ounce sirloin with baked potato and veg, and salad and a glass of beer for $8.99
And the very best prime rib dinner was at Jerrys Nugget in North Las Vegas,
all the locals know its the best, a 10 ounce was $8.99 but then there was the huge 16 ounce prime rib with bake potato which was $11.99, both include salad or soup, they may have gone up in price maybe a dollar by now,
and you will never see places like this include a 15% tip on the bill what a nerve!!! you tip for good service accordingly.
Sorry about the knock on the head your DIL received from the waitress, I hope she is OK now.

Last edited by jasper123; Aug 5th 2013 at 11:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.