Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 31st 2013, 2:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by windsong
In making my plans to return, I like to cover ALL possibilities, so . . . how long do you have to wait before you can file for unemployment benefits after you return? I don't think I will need it but it is always better to be prepared.
As I understand it you can register straight away, although you may not be eligible at once and may have to prove you are now a U K resident - see the link posted by Old.sparkles
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I'll have to read this a few more times especially the right to remain part.
I didn't know this existed. Things have really changed.
Maybe this applies to those seeking benefits.
Cheers
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

In making my plans to return, I like to cover ALL possibilities, so . . . how long do you have to wait before you can file for unemployment benefits after you return? I don't think I will need it but it is always better to be prepared.
The link given by Old Sparkles spells it out.

Any application for non contributory benefits (unlike your NI contributions for pension), means you will have to take the Habitual Residency Test.

This is done by the Council in your County. It is to establish whether you have serious intent to stay in the UK or are just 'benefit/health care shopping'.

It is controversial because it doesn't seem to have a concrete set of guidelines, but I can see why it has come into force.
Advice is to reapply immediately if you are turned down. Many have had an original decision overturned. It can take anything from 4-8 weeks to get a decision....

I am going to have to take the HRT. It helps if you have family/strong links to the UK-a UK bank account (of course!), and didn't come in on a return ticket!! (believe it or not, some have done!!).

Advice on that test is that no does not necessarily mean no; you have to persist.

My advice to them is going to be that I will return to Australia at gunpoint only.
I'm not joking.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Aries I would love to meet you one day ------ your nuts!!!! I like people like that, that Oz Burger sounds a recipe for a heart attack
As long as the heart attack is fatal and not badly debilitating . . .

I haven't had a burger for years, not since the vouchers two-for-the-price-of-one stopped coming into my Adelaide letter box. Our papillons went wild with delight when they smelled the burgers, it was if they had won the doggy lottery!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

In 1971 during one of my extended stays back in England, I went to an employment office in London looking for a temporary job. However because I was moving from a small hotel near Kings Cross Station to a flat in Bayswater I was referred to a different office.

I was shocked when they not only wanted to put me on benefits, but also wanted to pay my hotel bill. They were equally as shocked when I said thank you, but I'm not here to ask for money, they said this had not happened to them before!

Within a week I found a part-time job after looking in classified adverts in the evening paper, my independence remaining intact. Admittedly my pay was a fraction of my earnings with a Government job in Australia (which I would be returning to), and only just covered my rent in Inverness Terrace, but I enjoyed the general office work with no stress, and had some interesting experiences.

One morning an extremely angry security man from a nearby department store came blasting into the front reception. We didn't keep staff there, only a buzzer for attention, and he said that the evening before he could have been knifed or injured in the office. Apparently he had followed a shoplifter into the office but the light wasn't on. I apologised for his difficulty, but added that we couldn't foresee that a shoplifter would take refuge in our office after robbing a store three hundred yards away.

On another occasion we left work at 5.00 pm to be confronted by 7 fire engines outside and a lot of commotion. Resulting from an IRA bomb threat the whole building had been evacuated, but they had forgotten us!! It was a Government building so was a prime target.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 11:06 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!
No worries
Old Jul 31st 2013, 11:10 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

OS, your link only applies to WALES, Scotland and England may be different.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 11:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
OS, your link only applies to WALES, Scotland and England may be different.
Oops - Sorry didn't notice - I'll have another look

This one is for Scotland - http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotla...nefits_hrt.htm

but if you click on country name it changes

Edit - Just had another look another look and could have changed country on the original link too
Old Jul 31st 2013, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Oops - Sorry didn't notice - I'll have another look

This one is for Scotland - http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotla...nefits_hrt.htm

but if you click on country name it changes

Edit - Just had another look another look and could have changed country on the original link too
Thanks again, Old.Sparkles.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 11:18 am

Thanks again, Old.Sparkles.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello old sparkles I read your link, it was very interesting, I think it should help a lot of returning ex-pats, and it just about covers everything on the subject, Im pretty sure though the HRT test requirement was not in practise when I came home in late 2010, I know Cameron has been talking about these changes for quite some time now, what was also interesting was that your link said that it could take up to 6 months for a decision to be made, which reinforces the advice I have been giving for quite some time now that everyone should make sure they have enough money to last them for a good 6 months to a year, especially as finding employment is tougher now in the UK then its ever been so it seems.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello old sparkles I read your link, it was very interesting, I think it should help a lot of returning ex-pats, and it just about covers everything on the subject, Im pretty sure though the HRT test requirement was not in practise when I came home in late 2010, I know Cameron has been talking about these changes for quite some time now, what was also interesting was that your link said that it could take up to 6 months for a decision to be made, which reinforces the advice I have been giving for quite some time now that everyone should make sure they have enough money to last them for a good 6 months to a year, especially as finding employment is tougher now in the UK then its ever been so it seems.
I think that things are gonna stay that way for a while. I know when you are emigrating the advice is the same - at least 6 months of savings, and more if you can.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So how does the weather this summer compare with last year?

Cheers
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by cheers
So how does the weather this summer compare with last year?

Cheers
summer last year was 1 week in March I think

It was still snowing when I left in April but I'm told that there's been some lovely weather for a while now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.