Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 27th 2013, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
While we are talking about food.......

When we were in the UK we stopped at a few McDonalds and found out the burgers were not the same as stateside. Why?
It was a meat patty and a bun and nothing else. My DD asked a manager what gives and he said they were cutting back on costs. Now thats a good way to damage your business. Where is the pickle, lettuce, tomato and mayo? I grant you it was a big bun and a big meat pattie.

Now Burger King was very good.
I remember 30 years ago they charged us 10p per packet of ketchup in London.
My children didn't complain ;-)
Old Jul 27th 2013, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
When I came home Dec 30th 2010 I was the same as you, I knew the spice girls cause they made it big in America, and had briefly heard of David Beckham, but had no idea he married one of the spice girls, I knew of David Dimbleby only because I used to watch his Father Richard on his TV program with great interest for years before I emigrated, but other then that ---- for me any TV personality or even British singers who sprung up from 1974 to 2010 I had absolutely no idea who they were, (most were not even born when I left) anyone that just gained fame in the U.K. and was not able to crack the American market were completely unknown to me,
But now after 2 and 1/2 years on British soil all these faces and names of famous British people are ingrained in my memory bank forever I had not seen a corrie episode or Emerdale or eastenders since 1974, and I come back and I even find that Ena Sharples is dead along with dozens more, well now I watch all those three soaps every night there on,and Im really into them too,
great TV but what happened to Crossroads?
So far the absolutely funniest show I have seen on TV here is Mrs Browns Boys its straight from Southern Ireland and its hilarious, anyone in America lucky enough to have seen this show? every episode is top notch all the way through, and Mrs Jones ----- played by Brendan O'carroll I see on the credits he writes the whole script, wow this kind of program reminds me of how good the entertainment was on British TV in the 60's and 70's
Rodney, I found several full episodes on Utube. They are hilarious. I needed a good laugh. Thanks :0)
Old Jul 27th 2013, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Rodney, I found several full episodes on Utube. They are hilarious. I needed a good laugh. Thanks :0)
celtic so glad you found some good full episodes to watch, they are so funny,

Fish you say it was very humid and hot where you are, well thats how its been in England for almost 3 weeks, temps in the 80's & 90's and oh sooooo humid, I hated it cause to me it was unbearable, and no rain for about 18 days, but we had a few light showers today for the first time in South east,

cheers, if Mcdonalds gave me a burger with no lettuce, tomato, onion, or pickle it would go straight back to them, can you imagine them tying that in the U.S. they are so cheapskate here that they used to charge 10p for a little thingy of ketchup or mayo, and they gave you one thin napkin if you asked for it ---- the rest were well hidden behind the counter,
Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Fish you say it was very humid and hot where you are, well thats how its been in England for almost 3 weeks, temps in the 80's & 90's and oh sooooo humid, I hated it cause to me it was unbearable, and no rain for about 18 days, but we had a few light showers today for the first time in South east,

cheers, if Mcdonalds gave me a burger with no lettuce, tomato, onion, or pickle it would go straight back to them, can you imagine them tying that in the U.S. they are so cheapskate here that they used to charge 10p for a little thingy of ketchup or mayo, and they gave you one thin napkin if you asked for it ---- the rest were well hidden behind the counter,
Times change don't they? We use to look back by looking at the photo snap shots we took when we are on holiday, well this morning I was also able to bring back memories because I sorted out my credit card receipts from our trip.

Cheers
Old Jul 27th 2013, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

In Australia (not at the chains) I used to ask for a burger with the lot, and would expect meat, tomato, lettuce, egg, beetroot, onion, pineapple and sauce. Quite a mixture but delicious
Old Jul 27th 2013, 5:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
While we are talking about food.......

When we were in the UK we stopped at a few McDonalds and found out the burgers were not the same as stateside. Why?
It was a meat patty and a bun and nothing else. My DD asked a manager what gives and he said they were cutting back on costs. Now thats a good way to damage your business. Where is the pickle, lettuce, tomato and mayo? I grant you it was a big bun and a big meat pattie.

Now Burger King was very good.
You get the extras if you ask for a different burger - they do burgers with all the extra stuff but you have to look at the menu and order the right burger - it cuts costs for them as people don't end up with extra bits they don;t want
Better than here where you ask for a burger and it comes with disgusting beetroot and limp flipping lettuce hanging out the edges, which just gets chucked in the bin!
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I was friends in the US with a British couple and always enjoyed catching up with them, because there were things we could talk about that an American would never get - we had a shared history of growing up in the UK. But that just meant I had a different relationship with them and a different way of interacting. I never had any problem talking with my US friends.

However, I have similar experiences to you here - my 20+ years in the US sometimes mean that I am culturally ignorant (I often have to ask who someone is - besides knowing the Spice Girls and David Beckham, my knowledge and experience of popular culture and British current affairs 1983-2006 is largely non-existent). I also don't want to become a bore by constantly referring to the US ...
Dunroving, I think about this, too. I have no idea who's who in the UK these days. I will have a lot to catch up on.

I also am beginning to see how much of a hybrid I have become after 30+ years in the USA. It's really fun to talk to my UK friends because that's the only time I recognize it.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You get the extras if you ask for a different burger - they do burgers with all the extra stuff but you have to look at the menu and order the right burger - it cuts costs for them as people don't end up with extra bits they don;t want
Better than here where you ask for a burger and it comes with disgusting beetroot and limp flipping lettuce hanging out the edges, which just gets chucked in the bin!
You don't like beetroot, or not in a burger? A burger with beetroot is better
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:53 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
You don't like beetroot, or not in a burger? A burger with beetroot is better
Polly loves beetroot and would really appreciate a care package filled with nothing but jars of the lovely stuff
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:57 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Polly loves beetroot and would really appreciate a care package filled with nothing but jars of the lovely stuff

I used to like beetroot when my grandad used to pickle it, in really strong vinegar, just like his pickled onions! Then I moved to Australia - and my Aussie (now) ex and his mother used to serve beetroot with everything! Not the pickled sort other, but beetroot done in some kid of sweet watery stuff, usually out of tins. Salad came with a small thin sliver of meat and 6 or 7 slabs of beetroot, for example. Plus every sandwich/burger/meal out cam with the stuff/ The sweet taste was what did it, after 6 months of overkill I grew to hate it and now recoil in fear whenever I see a tin of the stuff!!
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:03 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I used to like beetroot when my grandad used to pickle it, in really strong vinegar, just like his pickled onions! Then I moved to Australia - and my Aussie (now) ex and his mother used to serve beetroot with everything! Not the pickled sort other, but beetroot done in some kid of sweet watery stuff, usually out of tins. Salad came with a small thin sliver of meat and 6 or 7 slabs of beetroot, for example. Plus every sandwich/burger/meal out cam with the stuff/ The sweet taste was what did it, after 6 months of overkill I grew to hate it and now recoil in fear whenever I see a tin of the stuff!!
Sorry Polly, couldn't resist
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:13 am
Home and Happy

Sorry Polly, couldn't resist

Its the food of Satan, thats what it is
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:15 am

Its the food of Satan, thats what it is
Even if it's purple?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:22 am
Home and Happy

Even if it's purple?
That's one of Satan's little tricks you see, trying to fool us innocent purple-loving witches.......
Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Trotty - the people I write about in Frome are friends. Here is the link to the graffiti in Frome http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7625977003614/ Check out the blue chair with the excrement on it! and here is the link to Dawlish etc. http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandwoman/sets/

See my problem?
Hi, Rosie - It was so sad for me to see all that you complain of in Frome - To think back to 1971, when 'Joan' my Second Wife and I enjoyed our honeymoon in the area ( actually stayed at a cottage in Chapmanslade) - Frome was then so lovely, clean, and inviting.

Sign of the times- I don't think so - just overall bad manners and upbringing.

Take Care. Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.