British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Jul 2nd 2013 8:33 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

I would like to take the train to Dawlish today if the price is right.
Went to Port Isacc yesterday. We past one of actors on the lane by Dr Martins House. I said hi, to her and she said high back. Who was she? She is the sister of Aunt Rose. In real life she has a title.
Cheers
Please except the mistakes. It is too much time and trouble to make the corrections on the ipad

windsong Jul 2nd 2013 10:39 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10780990)
Went to Port Isacc yesterday. We past one of actors on the lane by Dr Martins House. I said hi, to her and she said high back. Who was she? She is the sister of Aunt Rose. In real life she has a title.
Cheers
Please except the mistakes. It is too much time and trouble to make the corrections on the ipad

Great to hear from you Cheers! :D So glad you are having a wonderful time over there. Keep the updates coming! :)

Derrygal Jul 2nd 2013 12:40 pm

Went to Port Isacc yesterday. We past one of actors on the lane by Dr Martins House. I said hi, to her and she said high back. Who was she? She is the sister of Aunt Rose. In real life she has a title.Cheers

You lucky dog!!! My friend (who lives in England) went there last year when they were filming and she actually met Martin Clunes and got his autograph! She said he is a really nice guy and very friendly - on the other hand, Caroline Catz (Louisa) was there too, but was not friendly at all - didn't want to be bothered talking to anyone!!

jasper123 Jul 4th 2013 1:33 pm

Cheers

Fantastic cheers, so glad you are having a good time and going to different places, let me know if you see Doc Martin !!!!!
take care mate,
Rodney.
PS Im trying to decide who would make the best Prime Minister after Cammeron ---- Boris (Mayer of London) or Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) I think either one would make a good choice, don't you?

dontheturner Jul 5th 2013 8:28 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10784411)
Fantastic cheers, so glad you are having a good time and going to different places, let me know if you see Doc Martin !!!!!
take care mate,
Rodney.
PS Im trying to decide who would make the best Prime Minister after Cammeron ---- Boris (Mayer of London) or Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) I think either one would make a good choice, don't you?

Sorry to disagree Rodney. There is no one, of any party who has the country at heart. They are even considering charging folks who are not EEA interns from using the NHS. - (Considering they may be charged at least £150 a visit to see a doctor or consultant.) This tribe we have in power wish only to impose costs in whatever way they can on ordinary working class folks- doesn't hit those capitalists though does it? Take Care - look out for the promised heatwave!

Celticspirit Jul 5th 2013 8:30 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10785501)
Sorry to disagree Rodney. There is no one, of any party who has the country at heart. They are even considering charging folks who are not EEA interns from using the NHS. - (Considering they may be charged at least £150 a visit to see a doctor or consultant.) This tribe we have in power wish only to impose costs in whatever way they can on ordinary working class folks- doesn't hit those capitalists though does it? Take Care - look out for the promised heatwave!

What is EEA?

cheers Jul 5th 2013 8:36 am

Yesterday we went to Mount St Michael near Penzance. I would not recommend it for older folk. It was an adventure but dangerous. It is up a steep hill and it has cobble stones and boulders to walk on and the path goes on and on to get to the mount.
We finished the day by going to Lands End which was close by. It is some what of a Disneyland atmosphere
The previous day, Wednesday, we went to Newquay which we felt was very tacky. We stopped at Padstow which was more to our liking.

On Tuesday we went to Torquay which we liked. We said hi! To every one in Dawlish as we passed on the train. I have to do what the crowd says so I'm sorry I did not visit you all. Coming on the train from Barnstable didn't leave much time.
It has been light drizzle and fog here daily and I love it.
Notes:
A lot of people smoke here but not as many as a few years ago I think. People
drive fast here.
DW and DD love a daily order of fish and chips and there is a standard price for them £5.25, which is interesting.
The train trip on a daily return was dirt cheap.
DD has to have a daily trip to the bakery for her pastries.
More later
Cheers

mikelincs Jul 5th 2013 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10785506)
What is EEA?

Euorpean Economic Area, a larger version of the EU, includes the EU countries and others, like Iceland..

trottytrue Jul 5th 2013 2:21 pm

I read this on the internet this morning I think the PC brigade is going too far.

Does this remind you of Big Brother or George Orwell 1984

"Flags can be intimidating and can create a negative feeling."

She revealed the policy would say "tenants must not hang or fix signs, banners or flags on the outside of the property, outside windows or on balconies, without our permission".

It was an English Flag.

this is part of an article from Hereforshire Town Council. I forget which town.

It was on the BBC Website not the Daily Mirror before anyone asks.

Celticspirit Jul 6th 2013 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10785662)
Euorpean Economic Area, a larger version of the EU, includes the EU countries and others, like Iceland..

Thank you :-)

jasper123 Jul 6th 2013 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10785501)

Yep Don, David and George would have got on so well together,
You know Don there was a time when I thought that the U.S. politicians were pretty close to the most corrupt on earth, but since Ive been back here in UK Ive noticed that politicians and bankers here seem to be competing with each other to be the most crooked and despicable human beings that one could imagine :frown: so I ask myself did all these sleaze balls learn all this dirty stuff from the Americans in power, or did they just learn it from each other? :confused:
Take care,
and stay cool !!!!!

ElizabethK Jul 7th 2013 2:23 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10785923)
I read this on the internet this morning I think the PC brigade is going too far.

Does this remind you of Big Brother or George Orwell 1984

"Flags can be intimidating and can create a negative feeling."

She revealed the policy would say "tenants must not hang or fix signs, banners or flags on the outside of the property, outside windows or on balconies, without our permission".

It was an English Flag.

this is part of an article from Hereforshire Town Council. I forget which town.

It was on the BBC Website not the Daily Mirror before anyone asks.

Well, if I hang out my flag and anyone feels intimidated then I suggest they close their eyes and keep on going.

islandwoman120 Jul 7th 2013 8:46 am

Originally Posted by ElizabethK (Post 10787668)
Well, if I hang out my flag and anyone feels intimidated then I suggest they close their eyes and keep on going.

I think the problem with the English flag is that - so I have been told - the EDL have taken it over as their own, hence it is regarded as a problematic flag now. Pity. And, of course, in order to be 'fair' and PC, that is now extrapolated to the statement Trotty True quoted. When I returned to the UK in 2010, I saw this house in Frome, Somerset that had the flags displayed and absolutely loved it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...57625430644655
:)

cheers Jul 7th 2013 8:53 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10787991)
I think the problem with the English flag is that - so I have been told - the EDL have taken it over as their own, hence it is regarded as a problematic flag now. Pity. And, of course, in order to be 'fair' and PC, that is now extrapolated to the statement Trotty True quoted. When I returned to the UK in 2010, I saw this house in Frome, Somerset that had the flags displayed and absolutely loved it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...57625430644655
:)

I remember you posting that.

cheers Jul 7th 2013 8:58 am

So we had an exhausting trip yesterday from Devon to Ashford, Kent.
The cottage we rented turned out to be the best yet.
My observation on the traffic here...they drive like there is no tomorrow.

Did I tell you I love it here?:D

Cheers